Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Hawaii prepares as volcano lava rolls towards homes

personally I'd be pissed off if my home was going to get lava'd to death - not at the volcano, at myself for living near one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
I wanna throw bugs in there and watch them burn

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

"I'm the proud owner of 200 heads of cattle and 15 acres of prime ..... er lava"

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

drat. That fence didn't help at all.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
*sigh*

I wish I had a lava farm.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
somebody call pierce brosnan

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wWwBJESW2g

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zNj6OqMr4

so how do you get this stuff inside a lamp?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
With a funnel.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I hope the lava only destroys the homes of white people who pronounce it "Havaeee".

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Hawaii seems like a nice place to live until you realize it's only a thin layer of fertile soil on top of a goddamn volcano. Like seriously there's no part of the island that isn't just hardened lava that was spewed out from the burning hot boules of the earth

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hawaii volcanoes are really timid for volcanoes op.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Anyone else wants to poke that lava with a stick ?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Decebal posted:

Anyone else wants to poke that lava with a stick ?

<----

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

'oh here, i'm gonna test the temperature of this gigantic elephant turd in my back yard'

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Yaldabaoth posted:

Hawaii seems like a nice place to live until you realize it's only a thin layer of fertile soil on top of a goddamn volcano. Like seriously there's no part of the island that isn't just hardened lava that was spewed out from the burning hot boules of the earth

This is true for most islands. But with most islands the volcanoe is done spewing lava.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

NihilismNow posted:

This is true for most islands. But with most islands the volcanoe is done spewing lava.

Which still makes those other islands a better place to live than Hawaii

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i want to see mauna loa erupt again

when it erupts, it releases the same amount of lava in 20 minutes that kilauea releases in a day

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hawaii erupts all the time

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

The Whole Internet posted:

i want to see mauna loa erupt again

when it erupts, it releases the same amount of lava in 20 minutes that kilauea releases in a day

gently caress off I don't want vog again

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

we cant loving throw some rocks and dirt in front of it or something? dig a trench like tommy lee jones, seems rather simple. I have no faith in humanity anymore

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Huh, I always pictures lava as more...firey

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ethanol posted:

we cant loving throw some rocks and dirt in front of it or something? dig a trench like tommy lee jones, seems rather simple. I have no faith in humanity anymore

lava moves on a faster island time than the natives.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Huh, I always pictures lava as more...firey

it was

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I saw this on the news one night and they were interviewing some family who was packing all their stuff to get out of the way of the lava flow, and when they were asked about how she felt, the lady said something like "Well, we knew it was a risk living here" which I thought was a really mature attitude about the whole thing. Whenever people from California are interviewed about their house burning down, they always act like they didn't know it was a problem even though it happens to a bunch of people, every year, for like the past 20 years, and it seems restricted to the area where they live.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
as it rolled through my house I'd be playing the most awesome game of "the floor is hot lava"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

wonder if we will see any lava monsters

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

when it gets all black and poopy, can you touch it? or is it still hot under. if its not hot, i would touch it.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I wonder how much material/cooling it would require to actually stop that flow.

It would melt iron, right? What about concrete? What material is not destroyed by lava? I've never really thought about this before.

What about just digging a huge trench and redirecting it or something? I think I am probably vastly underestimating the volume of lava we're dealing with here.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

xov posted:

I wonder how much material/cooling it would require to actually stop that flow.

It would melt iron, right? What about concrete? What material is not destroyed by lava? I've never really thought about this before.

What about just digging a huge trench and redirecting it or something? I think I am probably vastly underestimating the volume of lava we're dealing with here.

It's impossible to stop, because it's literally the hottest thing on Earth.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

im pooping! posted:

It's impossible to stop, because it's literally the hottest thing in Earth.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

A Spider Covets posted:

when it gets all black and poopy, can you touch it? or is it still hot under. if its not hot, i would touch it.

It is the viscosity of the lava that governs its ultimate movement. Viscosity depends upon the chemical composition of the lava and the temperature of the molten lava; viscosity increases quickly as the lava cools. The mobility of basalt is at a maximum at temperatures of 1,000 to 1,200ēC when it emerges, but when the lava's temperature has decreased to 800 ēC it firmly solidifies and does not flow any more. How far the lava reaches before it solidifies depends, therefore, upon the velocity of flow and the rate of cooling. [Editor´s note: Volatiles are also an important factor.]

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Spider Covets posted:

it's still hot as gently caress

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SirEvelynTremble posted:

It is the viscosity of the lava that governs its ultimate movement. Viscosity depends upon the chemical composition of the lava and the temperature of the molten lava; viscosity increases quickly as the lava cools. The mobility of basalt is at a maximum at temperatures of 1,000 to 1,200ēC when it emerges, but when the lava's temperature has decreased to 800 ēC it firmly solidifies and does not flow any more. How far the lava reaches before it solidifies depends, therefore, upon the velocity of flow and the rate of cooling. [Editor´s note: Volatiles are also an important factor.]

huh

Moridin920 posted:

it's still hot as gently caress

oh, ok

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
why are there no videos of people throwing fireworks on lava?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im pooping! posted:

It's impossible to stop, because it's literally the hottest thing on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXv8FWnNAk

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

why are there no videos of people throwing fireworks on lava?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzainwT1mrA

not very exciting, but then again not fireworks

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i wish we had a volcano in the mid west so we could watch people shoot/blow up lava/die also lava tornadoes.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was hoping to catch a live stream of the homeowner's tears as their family home is consumed by fire. All I got was this.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lava? on a volcanic island? why I never!

• Locked thread