Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Murderion posted:

You don't get to hate the Irish until you learn to play the penny whistle and dress like the colourblind

down with this sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

wanna party with those guys

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Randarkman posted:

Being norwegian from sing-song-syntax eastern norway and pretty much lacking the horrible accent most eastern norwegians have (I sound like a mid-western Canadian/American when pronouncing most words) but retaining the sing-songiness has lead alot of north americans to think that I had an irish accent (though honestly it doesn't sound anywhere near one), which caused alot of them to utter "I love your accent", because somehow it seems that northern american women rate irish and australian among the sexiest english accents imaginable.

i had to suffer the horrible torment of being thought an irishman though.

The Irish and Aussie accents are soft and lyrical, so it gives the impression of someone easygoing, happy and with a sense of humor. As opposed to a lot of the accents in the NE US, which come off as harried, irate and disrespectful. At this in this lady's opinion. :sparkles:

Tell them you're Colin Farrell.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

No Irish Need Apply
~any decent business

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Luvcow posted:

I've been told by GBS I can't have any pride in my Irish ancestors :(

Apparently as soon as people move to America they lose all culture and identity and anything remaining has been "stolen" from another race

But it's completely true, at least for Irish-Americans. Irish Americans have absolutely no cultural worth. On the bright side, anti-catholicism isn't really a thing anymore so you're more or less considered "normal white people" now.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tricky D posted:

how did you come to this figure? did you tally the percentage of potatoes in your diet?

If only. It's what ancestry.com tells me :shrug:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

But it's completely true, at least for Irish-Americans. Irish Americans have absolutely no cultural worth. On the bright side, anti-catholicism isn't really a thing anymore so you're more or less considered "normal white people" now.

Well I'm always happy when people I've never met tell me what my family history should be

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
When God made the Irish he didn't make much,
but they're a hell of a lot better than the God damned Dutch!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
have you ever met a person who bragged about their "irish heritage" and wasnt completely insufferable

yea i didnt think so

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There has been a noted increase in posters defending the venile Irish, so I have compiled a list of handy pejoratives to use when conversing with this misguided individuals:

Coal-Cracker - Many Irish immigrants mined coal.

Donkey - It was cheaper to hire an Irishman than a donkey in the Pennsylvania coal mining days of the 1800s.

F.B.I. - Foreign Born Irish.

Harpie - Perhaps derived from the fact the harp is also the symbol of Ireland, a green flag with a harp was displayed by a lot of Irish people.

Hibe - Short for Hibernian (of, relating to, or characteristic of Ireland or the Irish).

Mackerel Snapper - It can be applied to any Catholic, Irish or otherwise. In the past, Catholics were forbidden from eating meat on Fridays. They got around this the same way some vegetarians do, by eating fish (although technically this is not vegetarian, but "pescetarian"). Still observed in heavily-Catholic areas (they even have school/church fish-fry Fridays).

McChigger - Irish/Chinese/African American mix.

Mucker - Used in Boston because Irish immigrants could mostly only find employment helping to fill in the Back Bay which was at the time, marsh and water.

Narrow Back - The son or daughter of an Irish immigrant because they never worked as hard as those who emigrated.

You forgot Spud-friend of the family. I can say this cause it's my culture.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Lord Tywin posted:

Christ, I would have been so loving ashamed if someone thought I was one of those bog-devils, as for Anglo-Saxons they're even more despicable than the Irish. The only good whites are us Swedes,the Norwegians, the Germans, the Dutch, the Swiss Germans, The Flems, the North Italians, the Austrians and the Estonians.

all of these races are slavic degenerates and gypsy mongrel spawn hth

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
All of the Irish women I have met have been reasonably hot. Do they hide the below-average women?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If you live in the Western Hemisphere and you're not descended from the native people who lived there before Europeans came you pretty much have zero ties to your cultural heritage and will have to fill the void with consumerism and/or religion, it's pretty much the main reason why non-native Americans act so soulless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

genesplicer posted:

All of the Irish women I have met have been reasonably hot. Do they hide the below-average women?

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Irish people ARE very different from Irish Americans. my friend traveled "home" and even though he understands gallic/whatever english dialect the irish use passably he said they spoke so quickly and so volumniously it hurt listening to them, especially indoors

italian americans and italians are a lot more similar, both are boorish gluttons and loose, generally passable women

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

genesplicer posted:

They just move them all to Limerick. Limerick is literally a cesspit of genetic slag.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Two Irish "American" papists about town

The one on the right is actually a German but he's like the Irishman is a drunk and potentially a papist and as such as no business in this country!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I've been watching Copper on Netflix too, OP.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

mookface posted:

Well the Englishman does look like an effete little queer so I guess they got that right

ENGLISH
Racial Characteristics:
Cold-blooded queers with nasty complexions and terrible teeth who once conquered half the world but still haven't figured out central heating. They warm their beers and chill their baths and boil all their food, including bread. An intensely snobbish group, but who exactly they're snubbing is an international mystery. Lately they've been getting their comeuppance world power-wise, as their shabby, antiquated, and bankrupt little back alley of a country slowly winds down like the ill-crafted clockwork playthings of which their undersized children are so fond. In fact, last year their entire government had to kiss the rear end of the fat aboriginal :byodame: who runs Uganda to retrieve a single flit hack writer from the clutches of that august nation. They all have large collections of something useless like lamp finials or toad eggs, and they would have lost both world wars if it were not for us. They like to be spanked with canes and that's just what they deserve.

Good Points:
It's relatively easy to make yourself understood with them.

Proper Forms of Address:
Limey, lime-eater, pom, poof, sister-boy.

An Anecdote Illustrating Something of the English Character:
In his unpublished memoirs, Benjamin Disraeli tells the story of a political conference with then-Prime Minister William Gladstone, who habitually conducted such private discussions while being fellated by an able-bodied seaman of the Royal Navy. At one point during their talk, the sailor suddenly looked up from Gladstone's penis and said, "Excuse me, Sir, but you've come."
"By Jove, so I have," said Gladstone, and he gave the tar a sovereign.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Want to learn some Irish history?Don't read about St. Patrick or the Easter Rising,do a reverse image search on this picture.

That's Irish history.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I never trusted anglos. they're no good assholes who'll happily gently caress u over

irish ok by me. the dirtbag peoples of the world are the good ones. they know how it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Swan Curry posted:

Want to learn some Irish history?Don't read about St. Patrick or the Easter Rising,do a reverse image search on this picture.

That's Irish history.

just post the goddamn link you [18th century racial slur]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

SniperWoreConverse posted:

just post the goddamn link you [18th century racial slur]

but that's not how a lazy paddy does things

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

have you ever met a person who bragged about their "irish heritage" and wasnt completely insufferable

yea i didnt think so

The most vociferous of these that I've met aren't even majority Irish. I don't get wrapping up your self-identity in an ethnic heritage that fewer than half of your ancestors came from.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

proof of concept posted:

The most vociferous of these that I've met aren't even majority Irish. I don't get wrapping up your self-identity in an ethnic heritage that fewer than half of your ancestors came from.

i'm 1/24th Cherokee here is my opinion on :vomarine:

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

down with this sort of thing

mad stuff

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Self portrait of an Irish "American" circa 2012

Paddy O'Partypants there looks way more fun to hang out with than those other two. Éirinn go Brách!

Anyway my ancestors had "Mc" and "O'" in their last names so that means I'm one of the millions of Americans who can pretend to be offended by this thread, and also irritate actual Irish people by insisting on talking about Ireland despite never coming within a thousand miles of that island.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 29, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As a person of Irish descent I just feel like I should say that all you loving British need to get out of Ireland. That is all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

genesplicer posted:

No, they just stay in Ireland.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

wanna party with those guys

if you friday evening doesn't look like that cartoon you have failed as a human being

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
As a person of Anglo-Scot-Irish descent, I assure you the isles are populated by mongrels who take pride in being boring and mean.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

happyhippy posted:

Potatos come from South America.
Check your privilege.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

When I was in highschool I got 3 days of in school suspension because I laughed at a newspaper article titled

"Alcoholism Problem in Ireland"

loving worthless micks

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

As an Irish guy sitting at a computer in the southeast of Ireland right now i can confirm that most Irish people are loving morons.

Guess we have nice trees and poo poo but the people in general are borderline retarded because we live in a ridiculous welfare state that makes a huge chunk of our citizens unthinking buffoons because consequences are something that happen to other people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

As an Irish guy sitting at a computer in the southeast of Ireland right now i can confirm that most Irish people are loving morons.

Guess we have nice trees and poo poo but the people in general are borderline retarded because we live in a ridiculous welfare state that makes a huge chunk of our citizens unthinking buffoons because consequences are something that happen to other people.

You're more like the Cayman Islands of europe.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

the Irish got really good at terrorism once they invented the strategy of lighting the fuse then running away, which is still considered cheating in many other areas

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I'm Irish and Native American. My alcohol tolerance is close to non-existent. Yay for cheap bar tabs!

Also, I find Irish Americans to be super loving annoying, for the most part. I blame my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

proof of concept posted:

What ethnic heritage do you wrap yourself in?

• Locked thread