Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post
how good is this book? it is like the best book. I think it is a very good book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
It's good. A lot of people say it's bad, but they're bad.

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

It's good. A lot of people say it's bad, but they're bad.

yeah i agree.

but its good that it isnt more popular or it would be like portal for books with sperglords making jokes about how the spice must flow and making that a central theme of their whole identity

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Wish I had a stillsuit IRL so I could just walk around sippin'

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

Amarcarts posted:

Wish I had a stillsuit IRL so I could just walk around sippin'

stillsuit @ the bar would be pretty swaggy

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Bike without wheels posted:

yeah i agree.

but its good that it isnt more popular or it would be like portal for books with sperglords making jokes about how the spice must flow and making that a central theme of their whole identity

Jesus, can you imagine what they'd do to dune like they did to starwars with that expanded universe poo poo? I really don't need to know in detail the life story of Shadout Mapes or that one dude that got hit in the throat by a sardaukar knife.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Jesus, can you imagine what they'd do to dune like they did to starwars with that expanded universe poo poo? I really don't need to know in detail the life story of Shadout Mapes or that one dude that got hit in the throat by a sardaukar knife.

i can imagine.........

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i can imagine.........

are u gonna tell him or should i

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I tried reading Dune once. It was like reading the bible with all the interesting parts edited out.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nothing exists beyond what frank herbert wrote. He died with Chapterhouse Dune being the last dune thing ever written. Since then, everybody has respected the works of a dead man, and have not sought to improve or expand upon them whatsoever.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
youve worn a fagsuit before?

youre suit is fitted gbs fashion who told you how to do that?

he will know your ways as if born to them

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

its best if no one does

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I invented pants that allow me to drink my own pee. Dune will almost certainly be a reality.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
I read dune and actually really dug the lynch movie too.

I need more space guitar and knife fights in my life

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

What? You're not talking about the KJA books are you? That poo poo ain't canon

e:

hemophilia posted:

Nothing exists beyond what frank herbert wrote. He died with Chapterhouse Dune being the last dune thing ever written. Since then, everybody has respected the works of a dead man, and have not sought to improve or expand upon them whatsoever.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

yeah i agree.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
It has kind of surprised me that given the relatively widespread popularity of Dune, and the adult themes (with a Freudian undertone), that there isn't a lot more really messed up Dune fanart on the internet.

I mean, I am sure it is out there, but I haven't encountered it the way that I've encountered Sonic the Hedgehog fanart. Like, I would think that even given the greater cultural dissemination of Sonic via popular media, the fact that it is substantially totally unsituated for this type of display would mean that something like Dune would be more common as a nexus of people's weird obsessions. But no.

Not that I am complaining.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

glowing-fish posted:

It has kind of surprised me that given the relatively widespread popularity of Dune, and the adult themes (with a Freudian undertone), that there isn't a lot more really messed up Dune fanart on the internet.

I mean, I am sure it is out there, but I haven't encountered it the way that I've encountered Sonic the Hedgehog fanart. Like, I would think that even given the greater cultural dissemination of Sonic via popular media, the fact that it is substantially totally unsituated for this type of display would mean that something like Dune would be more common as a nexus of people's weird obsessions. But no.

Not that I am complaining.

Dune had a dude that turned himself into a giant worm and had his arms and legs atrophy and he dick fall off (strongly implied, anyway), and the tleilaxu turned all their women into giant fleshpile incubators. I'm curious how anyone could come up with some hosed up Dune fanart that was weirder than anything in the books

nevermind, it actually did fall off. he mentions it talking to hwi noree somewhere in book 4

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Like its a kids book. Really simple allegory about the messianic times and whatnot. But it's fun.

E: I read the first book and that was it. Expanded universe lore seems unnecessary to me.

ThisGuy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank herbert was a loving weird fetishist and reading his stuff you will learn one thing: he beat the internet to all the punches.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
everything backfires in the end and its pretty neat

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

hemophilia posted:

Frank herbert was a loving weird fetishist and reading his stuff you will learn one thing: he beat the internet to all the punches.

The hell are you talking about? Sure he had like leather bondage suits (stillsuits), fat granddads loving twinks (Baron Harkonnen), adults in child bodies (Duncan and Miles Teg), using women for biological laboratory equipment (Tleilaxu), and drugged out orgies, but, like, nothing weird

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

gary oldmans diary posted:

everything backfires in the end and its pretty neat

You mean when everyone that Leto II meant to go out and spread humanity across the universe comes back to murder the gently caress out of everyone? Yeah, nice job with the golden path, idiot

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

The hell are you talking about? Sure he had like leather bondage suits (stillsuits), fat granddads loving twinks (Baron Harkonnen), adults in child bodies (Duncan and Miles Teg), using women for biological laboratory equipment (Tleilaxu), and drugged out orgies, but, like, nothing weird

Exactly. He's no Piers Anthony. That fucker is sick.

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

more like visionary imo tbh

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

more like visionary imo tbh

Lol yeah visionary. "Hey, gonna turn myself into a giant worm. Also I can see the future but I never look at it if at all possible. Hope this turns out ok!"

e: Oops, you were talking about Herbert, not Leto. Although I basically imagined Leto II to be some kind of Herbert self-insert so...

Seriously Book 4 loving owns, though

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Dune had a dude that turned himself into a giant worm and had his arms and legs atrophy and he dick fall off (strongly implied, anyway), and the tleilaxu turned all their women into giant fleshpile incubators. I'm curious how anyone could come up with some hosed up Dune fanart that was weirder than anything in the books

nevermind, it actually did fall off. he mentions it talking to hwi noree somewhere in book 4

My point exactly! No one on the internet has seen fit to exploit this already detailed material. I mean, there are no leaps of imagination, it is all there. And yet people would rather make the rather tortured leaps to imagine that the cute animal protagonist of a group of Grade A- Platformers is somehow involved in there very specific fetish.

I guess it does make sense because Sonic is such a tabla rasa that anything can be projected onto him?

(Also, and I did this so you don't have to, a GIS for "Dune fan art erotic" came up with nothing that was actually erotic Dune fan art, while "Sonic fan art erotic" came up with... :nms: )

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 30, 2014

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

glowing-fish posted:

(Also, and I did this so you don't have to, a GIS for "Dune fan art erotic" came up with nothing that was actually erotic Dune fan art, while "Sonic fan art erotic" came up with... :nms: )

So people who like a video game character are more disturbed and disgusting than fans of a weird old man who wrote about sex and body horror like all the time. hm.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Seriously, though, who's faster, Sonic or post-probe mutant Miles Teg?

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

glowing-fish posted:

My point exactly! No one on the internet has seen fit to exploit this already detailed material. I mean, there are no leaps of imagination, it is all there. And yet people would rather make the rather tortured leaps to imagine that the cute animal protagonist of a group of Grade A- Platformers is somehow involved in there very specific fetish.

I guess it does make sense because Sonic is such a tabla rasa that anything can be projected onto him?

i think its more likely that people who do sonic fan art erotica and other similarly weird stuff involving childhood cartoons/videogame characters have like some weird fetish that somehow tangentially relates to their childhood/upbringing (perhaps a past abuse or neglect) that makes them specifically target things they grew up with for fetishization as opposed to dune which is more mature and doesn't exactly make those who are fans of it harken back to a time of innocence and purity

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

So people who like a video game character are more disturbed and disgusting than fans of a weird old man who wrote about sex and body horror like all the time. hm.

Thank you, that said what I was trying to say!

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

i think its more likely that people who do sonic fan art erotica and other similarly weird stuff involving childhood cartoons/videogame characters have like some weird fetish that somehow tangentially relates to their childhood/upbringing (perhaps a past abuse or neglect) that makes them specifically target things they grew up with for fetishization as opposed to dune which is more mature and doesn't exactly make those who are fans of it harken back to a time of innocence and purity

Actually everyone in the Dune universe gets trained in some sick poo poo from like Day 1. Paul was 15 and was like a master at knife fights. Teg got trained to detect sexual imprinters by his loving mom. You'd think the sonic fanart people with the weird childhood baggage would feel right at home with Dune

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
fear is the mind killer!!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Youre forgetting his weird political views.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

My fetish is putting my dick in the pain box.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

katlington posted:

Youre forgetting his weird political views.

Nah, i remember those, there just wasn't much fodder in there for weird sex kinks. Dude seemed to love good dictators and hate bad dictators but not have much respect for any other form of government. Unless espionage counts as a form of government.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Wooten posted:

e: David Lynch directing that Justin Timberlake dick-in-a-box sketch

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

is this real because i'd read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wooten posted:

new sonic game lookin good digging tails new model

• Locked thread