Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
So uh, this is going to take place in the future, right?

Any chance we'll actually get something resembling this:

And not this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I have a Terminator 2 DVD that's pretty cool. Besides the inclusion of a few cut scenes, it has the HD version as a PC DVD bonus feature. This is from 2002 or 2003 I think, so that's just really drat cool.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The only good thing about Salvation was the Bale meltdown story.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Leave that poor robot skeleton alone, can't you see he already has an entire chopper ontop of him? <:mad:>

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

I have a Terminator 2 DVD that's pretty cool. Besides the inclusion of a few cut scenes, it has the HD version as a PC DVD bonus feature. This is from 2002 or 2003 I think, so that's just really drat cool.

I tried watching the digital HD version and it has DRM that has to be unlocked by a server that doesn't exist anymore. Or at least it did when I tried a couple years ago. Let me know if it works for you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

etalian posted:

The only good thing about Salvation was the Bale meltdown story.

I actually didn't mind Salvation nearly as much as other people did. I mean yeah it was pretty lovely but we all knew it was going to be pretty lovely from the trailers and premise and director, so what the hell is the problem?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I tried watching the digital HD version and it has DRM that has to be unlocked by a server that doesn't exist anymore. Or at least it did when I tried a couple years ago. Let me know if it works for you.

I actually never tried it myself! Back when I got the DVD my computer was too lovely, to play it and by the time I got a better one I had lost all patience with early DVD software bullshit. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight I guess.

Still, it's real cool that something like that was even possible, and a great example of DVD Rom features that should've caught on instead of lovely flash games.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

ChickenHeart posted:

it's going to take place in the future and durig terminator 1 and also during terminator 2 and john connor is a terminator secretly

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I actually didn't mind Salvation nearly as much as other people did. I mean yeah it was pretty lovely but we all knew it was going to be pretty lovely from the trailers and premise and director, so what the hell is the problem?

Hope.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ChickenHeart posted:

Any chance we'll actually get something resembling this:

And not this?

Laser guns don't test well, they are "too unrealistic".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mind the walrus posted:

Terminator Salvation is in the same trap as Alien 3, where it would be pretty popular if the name were changed to Transmorphers or something.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Arnold having the bubble thing in T1 sets up the deception for T2, where they hide stuff cleverly so you'll think Arnold is the bad guy again. That was genius.

Umm, no one thought this. We clearly see the T-1000 kill a police officer, and the way Arnold gets his clothes in T2 is very different in tone than how he gets his clothes in the first movie. In the first movie he kills some punk kids and his ruthless efficiency is supposed to be shocking, but in T2 he gets his clothes after a bar fight (in which he doesn't kill anyone) that's clearly played for laughs. You can tell by the "cool" moment where he snatches the shotgun and the sunglasses.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm amazed Cameron wasn't more upset about that. They really hosed over what could have been one of the all-time great cinema twists. Then again Cameron was probably pretty confident he had just made a great movie and knew that twist spoiled or no he was about to make ungodly amount of money even by his already very successful standards.

If i'm not mistaken, James Cameron was the one who directed the teaser trailer in question.

The whole, "Naw man, it was supposed to be a twist!" is a new-ish phenomenon, and seems to have been made up by people who either weren't born or were too young to remember when the movie came out.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

etalian posted:

The original was best

non

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
T2 was the best Terminator movie, the pinnacle of action movies, and also peak James Cameron.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

Umm, no one thought this. We clearly see the T-1000 kill a police officer, and the way Arnold gets his clothes in T2 is very different in tone than how he gets his clothes in the first movie. In the first movie he kills some punk kids and his ruthless efficiency is supposed to be shocking, but in T2 he gets his clothes after a bar fight (in which he doesn't kill anyone) that's clearly played for laughs. You can tell by the "cool" moment where he snatches the shotgun and the sunglasses.

If i'm not mistaken, James Cameron was the one who directed the teaser trailer in question.

The whole, "Naw man, it was supposed to be a twist!" is a new-ish phenomenon, and seems to have been made up by people who either weren't born or were too young to remember when the movie came out.

It is not clear that he kills that cop.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

syscall girl posted:

Either way, when I was a kid and saw that in the theaters I don't recall anyone being confused as to who was the good guy and who was the bad guy.

I'm also in the camp that firmly believes the original Terminator was superior. It was a true R rated action movie, with no bad jokes ("I need a vacation!" :rolleyes:), or other gimmicks (like John's bike not starting after his first encounter with both terminators).

edit: plus, not to sperg too much, but the whole movie shouldn't really exist. As Kyle says in the first one, they blew up the time machine after he went through after the terminator. So when the hell did Skynet slip this other terminator in, and when did the resistance find the time to reprogram a terminator and then send it back as well? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. :spergin:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 2, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

The srunch/splat/stabbing sound as he drives his hand into the cop's abdomen made it pretty clear IMHO.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Terminator Salvation is in the same trap as Alien 3, where it would be pretty popular if the name were changed to Transmorphers or something.

The cinematography on the helicopter crash fight at the beginning is really loving rad, and they do a cool callback to T2 when they have Christian Bale John Connor play the same song as his motorbike as the teenage John Connor does.

I like Salvation and Christian Bale is cool and also super dope and anybody who says otherwise has clearly never seen the Machinist.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The cinematography on the helicopter crash fight at the beginning is really loving rad, and they do a cool callback to T2 when they have Christian Bale John Connor play the same song as his motorbike as the teenage John Connor does.

I like Salvation and Christian Bale is cool and also super dope and anybody who says otherwise has clearly never seen the Machinist.

he plays the same super handsome sad sack in every movie, its just in the machinist it works because it makes sense hes a sad sack and the malnutrition takes away some of his looks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

babypolis posted:

he plays the same super handsome sad sack in every movie, its just in the machinist it works because it makes sense hes a sad sack and the malnutrition takes away some of his looks

he then want to batman after the Machinist

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

he then want to batman after the Machinist

People (well, goons) were speculating that going from a starvation diet to roid muscles was going to gently caress up his pancreas and kill the poor bloke.

Still waiting to see if that happens.

I really liked The Machinist though, it had heart.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

syscall girl posted:

I really liked The Machinist though, it had heart.

gently caress you

that movie was so bad, piss

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The director's cut of T2 or whatever one is on Netflix is really loving bad. Those scenes were deleted for a reason folks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stoic Commie posted:

gently caress you

that movie was so bad, piss

It was a nice relaxing non-action movie with a bit of a mystery. v0v

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ramsus posted:

The director's cut of T2 or whatever one is on Netflix is really loving bad. Those scenes were deleted for a reason folks.

They have the regular version too, just watched it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Doc Block posted:

The srunch/splat/stabbing sound as he drives his hand into the cop's abdomen made it pretty clear IMHO.

Nope just checked. It was a thud/oof.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Either way, when I was a kid and saw that in the theaters I don't recall anyone being confused as to who was the good guy and who was the bad guy.

Yeah, because literally everyone knew the twist before the movie started thanks to advertising chucklefucks.
Seriously watch the first 20 minutes or so of T2 and try to imagine all you know of the franchise is the first film. Probably the only thing that made the T800 seem like maybe he isnt the bad guy is that he didnt brutally murder every biker ever, but really thats only something that you would notice after the fact. "Get Down" couldve been "I am your father" for a whole new decade but didnt thanks to assholes blowing it before the movie even released.

Ramsus posted:

What I really dig in the directors cut is how it shows the T1000's shape shifting was damaged from being frozen. Thats really about it.

I guess more context for Arnie smiling while holding the minigun?

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 3, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

Nope just checked. It was a thud/oof.

Yeah, because literally everyone knew the twist before the movie started thanks to advertising chucklefucks.
Seriously watch the first 20 minutes or so of T2 and try to imagine all you know of the franchise is the first film. Probably the only thing that made the T800 seem like maybe he isnt the bad guy is that he didnt brutally murder every biker ever, but really thats only something that you would notice after the fact. "Get Down" couldve been "I am your father" for a whole new decade but didnt thanks to assholes blowing it before the movie even released.

Dude they played "Bad to the Bone" when he put on the motorcycle gear, it was cheesy as poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Dude they played "Bad to the Bone" when he put on the motorcycle gear, it was cheesy as poo poo.

it why the original was better since it had a bleaker more pessimistic tone.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Time travel is stupid.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

babypolis posted:

American Psycho.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

But in a cool badass way. The part that was cheesy was those goddamn deleted scenes in the director's cut where he's all feeling and stuff.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

It was cheesy therefore he is clearly the good guy. Nevermind the fact that he was the bad guy in the previous film and so far all we have seen this character do in this film is beat up dudes and steal their poo poo.

Edit: Also lets not forget the first time he sees John

Thats sure some unambiguous good guy poo poo going on. Certainly everyone already knew who was the good guy and the bad guy based entirely on evidence from the movie, not at all by the fact that the trailer blew the twist and didnt give a gently caress

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 3, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

skynet never broke down the front door for your personal information - it firebombed your entire neighborhood, not caring about anyone except john connor.
yup. i think these studio execs have forgotten just how terrifying nuclear war is. "oh people aren't scared of that anymore, they're scared of computer viruses." they should go back and watch threads. put that poo poo on the big screen and see how people react to it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
all you have to see is the scene where both terminators and john finally intersect to know without a doubt that it was set up for arnold to be the good guy as a twist
you guys leave gutcruncher alone! :ohdear:

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Never know, it might be good in some universe.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

So why can't we make a new Terminator with young CGI Arnold.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

myshl0ng posted:

So why can't we make a new Terminator with young CGI Arnold.

who's we, you got a turd in your pocket lmao

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
owned

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

Ramsus posted:

who's we, you got a turd in your pocket lmao
How did you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Gutcruncher posted:

I never thought of it that way. It would have been pretty interesting to go and see it without being spoiled as to which one is the 'good' terminator.

And why didn't he kill all those bikers anyway, it was before John told him not to kill anyone, and when they did that stupid "stand on one foot." :downs: and the two guys hosed with them, Arnold was about to blow one of them away right in his face. And we all know the T-800 can easily kill without any weapons.

Directors Twist Edition; he kills a couple of the biker dudes in the beginning, and Bad to the Bone doesn't play. Then there'd really be some serious ambiguous stuff afoot.

• Locked thread