Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brad Bates says he's happy at BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Everyone says that!

I like Bates but we'll see how this plays out. Schissel doesn't seem likely to coug this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Thoguh posted:

As always, Teamcatlab had the best take on the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVnKIjBkGVE
This is the better Brady Hoke catlab video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndxts6P0We8

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A brief update of what I've been seeing in various places.

The AD search will be slow. They are still getting the search committee together and there are no signs that they intend to offer anyone before the end of the year, maybe much later than that. It looks like Jim Hackett will be doing any firing and hiring of coaches. This seems ominous unless the skids are already greased and the decisions will be straightforward. All reports are that Hackett is truly an interim and is not in consideration for the permanent post.

Related to that, John U. claimed in a radio interview this morning that the next coach will be a familiar name, one that is part of everybody's list of top candidates. He has lots of inside info, but also added that it was a "gut feeling" - which may be true or may be a cover for a source. Who the hell knows.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

familiar name

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
U-M is going after Harbaugh, which means they have to wait until January for the Niners season to end. If they don't get him then I think there's a very real chance Hoke comes back due to the timing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karmalaa70 posted:

U-M is going after Harbaugh, which means they have to wait until January for the Niners season to end. If they don't get him then I think there's a very real chance Hoke comes back due to the timing.

That's the general assumption, but no one is going to believe it until it actually happens.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
That is so stupid, and proof positive that nothing has changed. Just hire Mullen and start counting your Rose Bowls.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I feel like these Harbaugh rumors are the Michigan version of Saban to Texas talk last year. In that while it hypothetically makes a grain of sense, it's almost definitely not gonna happen. And when you list the dozen reasons it makes no sense, fans with a way inflated sense of the value of their school's brand/allure just twitch and mutter "Michigan Man".

Although as a Sparty fan I am really enamored of the idea that Michigan is going to wait until SF bows out of the playoffs before being turned down by Harbaugh. Another year of Hoke would be pretty excellent.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

That is so stupid, and proof positive that nothing has changed. Just hire Mullen and start counting your Rose Bowls.

Of course nothing has changed. An interim AD with zero experience is going to make the firing/hiring decisions, how could that miss?

EDIT - They'd never hire Mullen, even if he were interested. He'd just get chewed up and spit out Rich Rod style.

Karmalaa70 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Install those voting things from Star Search at every seat and crowdsource playcalling. You'll be on the cutting edge of fan involvement.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sash! posted:

Install those voting things from Star Search at every seat and crowdsource playcalling. You'll be on the cutting edge of fan involvement.

Twitch Plays College Football would be amazing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Star Search
Now there's a TV show name drop I haven't seen in a while.

Watched that poo poo all the time as a kid though :corsair:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Now there's a TV show name drop I haven't seen in a while.

Watched that poo poo all the time as a kid though :corsair:

Just trying to reach Michigan's key demo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I would be a fan of TeamCatlab videos with Will Muschamp. I sure would.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

Just trying to reach Michigan's key demo

Then you'd be looking for Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

And they lose to Maryland. Unf.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

This was not unexpected.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

No shame in losing to a superior program

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

No shame in losing to a superior program

they're waiting for you gordon....in the GDT

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Fire this loving guy right now

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm literally embarrassed that my team lost to Michigan.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm literally embarrassed that my team lost to Michigan.

You should be.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I'm embarrassed my team beat Michigan, we're going to keep a far worse coach for it while you guys are about to be free.*

*To stupidly chase Harbaugh before settling for the next Hoke.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Interim AD Jim Hackett says he'll be the one to decide Hoke's future.

So basically have Hackett fire him and have the new AD hire the new guy I guess. Holy lol if Hackett is the one to make the new hire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

Interim AD Jim Hackett says he'll be the one to decide Hoke's future.

So basically have Hackett fire him and have the new AD hire the new guy I guess. Holy lol if Hackett is the one to make the new hire.

Yeah, the last time we had a corporate CEO with no experience as an AD pick the coach it worked out so well...

I hope they have a top-notch search committee and Hackett's only involvement is to rubber-stamp their choice. Otherwise I'd rather keep Hoke for a year and let the new AD replace him.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Unless they're keeping things impossibly quiet, Hackett's going to be firing Hoke and hiring the next coach. A couple days ago I thought Hoke might get another year after the Harbaugh hail mary fails, but I don't think that's going to happen after a 5-7 season (I was assuming they'd beat Maryland at home and make a poo poo bowl).

Letting an interim with no experience make this hire seems insane on the surface, so I'm guessing/hoping that Hackett has some prior relationship with Harbaugh and/or Miles. Or maybe the U-M administration is really just galactically incompetent and incapable of learning from previous fuckups.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Karmalaa70 posted:

Letting an interim with no experience make this hire seems insane on the surface, so I'm guessing/hoping that Hackett has some prior relationship with Harbaugh and/or Miles. Or maybe the U-M administration is really just galactically incompetent and incapable of learning from previous fuckups.

ding ding ding ding

Having an interim AD hire the new coach is the dumbest loving thing. It would be the exact same thing as if Dave Brandon hired the new guy before he was canned.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the last time we had a corporate CEO with no experience as an AD pick the coach it worked out so well...

I hope they have a top-notch search committee and Hackett's only involvement is to rubber-stamp their choice. Otherwise I'd rather keep Hoke for a year and let the new AD replace him.

Yes, but at least Hackett hasn't publicly said that being a 'Michigan Man is the #1 requirement for this job.'

Hackett is going to be the full time AD I have a feeling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

I don't know about that, as I recall, Michigan was pretty adamant about saying he was only an interim AD.

E: Then again, stranger things have happened.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

I don't know about that, as I recall, Michigan was pretty adamant about saying he was only an interim AD.

E: Then again, stranger things have happened.

They weren't completely adamant about it and he is making 600K.

There is no 'time-frame' for him to step-down. He will be interviewed for the process, I'm betting.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

Yes, but at least Hackett hasn't publicly said that being a 'Michigan Man is the #1 requirement for this job.'

John U. Bacon (seems absurd to type his full name out but just saying Bacon is also weird) was on the radio Friday saying there was no chance it'd be an outside hire, so...yeah. Inbreeding is the name of the game at U-M.

It'd be the most Michigan thing ever to hire Les Miles now, 7 years too late and having let the program go to poo poo, all because he wasn't Lloyd Carr approved.

EDIT - Hackett is almost surely going to be the full time AD. I think they're waiting until after the coaching firing/hiring to announce his status. No one will care if he actually makes a good hire, but there'll be some great meltdowns with another steamer.

I also will never understand why U-M doesn't understand that having an AD who has had that job before is a GOOD thing.

Karmalaa70 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 24, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Karmalaa70 posted:

John U. Bacon (seems absurd to type his full name out but just saying Bacon is also weird) was on the radio Friday saying there was no chance it'd be an outside hire, so...yeah. Inbreeding is the name of the game at U-M.

It'd be the most Michigan thing ever to hire Les Miles now, 7 years too late and having let the program go to poo poo, all because he wasn't Lloyd Carr approved.

All of the insiders are confident on Jim Harbaugh, which is still laughable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd always understood that Les Miles basically laughed them out of his office when they tried to get him after Rich Rod and used it to get a big raise.

E: Unless you meant they chased him right after the Carr firing, which I don't know if they did.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karmalaa70 posted:

EDIT - Hackett is almost surely going to be the full time AD. I think they're waiting until after the coaching firing/hiring to announce his status. No one will care if he actually makes a good hire, but there'll be some great meltdowns with another steamer.

I also will never understand why U-M doesn't understand that having an AD who has had that job before is a GOOD thing.

Here is Jim Hackett at a press conference:

quote:

“What I’d be answering is how I feel about what I think we need in leadership. I walked in here with this notion and nothing’s changed my mind, and it begins with we stand in service of others. The job of a leader is to help people who want to achieve more, to be there for them, to support them. I’m a big believer in very thoughtful approaches to problems plus a mix of doing them, so it’s not only about getting things done but it’s about being really thoughtful. You heard more than an inference that I believe you’ve got to align yourself around the most competitive set in the world. We compete in our product with other kinds of institutions around the world- around the country, sorry, and to have the highest sense of acuity of what does it takes to compete, to make our fans so delighted, to make our alums so proud, to make the student-athletes believe that this is the best place in the world and on and on is really important. To have that acuity and help rationalize that is the part of leadership.”

I do not want a guy who talks like that running the athletic department or hiring coaches.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo that statement :stare:

It's every politician's non-answer you've ever seen.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
...I didn't understand any of that poo poo.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Here is Jim Hackett at a press conference:

I do not want a guy who talks like that running the athletic department or hiring coaches.

Holy poo poo, you can tell that's a corporate background right there. I'd like to take this opportunity to use 200 words to say absolutely nothing. I'm just surprised he didn't mention synergy.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
At least he didn't say RETAIL ACTIVATION, so it's a minor step up from Big Dave Brandon.

Michigan is like the only place where experience is apparently a negative when applying for a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Regnevelc posted:

All of the insiders are confident on Jim Harbaugh, which is still laughable.

If he gets canned in SF, I wouldn't be surprised if his next job was Oakland or Michigan. It's not that crazy to think.

• Locked thread