Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Since Smedley Butler isnt in KR, I doubt Walter W. Waters (Leader of the Bonus Army) is in it either. Also did no one pay attention to McArthurs disobedience in refusing to stop the attack against protesting veterans? Especially for what his disregard for orders caused later in Korea.

Though without changing canon too much I wonder if Butler could be fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Is Patton going to die? :ohdear:

Seriously though death through combat is too good for him, especially since I think he'd prefer that way instead of firing squad. But are there events covering what happens to leaders when their faction loses? Because having them tried, executed/imprisoned, or released are good flavour events that have the potential to influence the country later.

And does anyone know why Atlanta is the capital since isnt New Orleans Long's center of operations? Unless its for balance reasons since it is close Federal territory.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Are there 2nd Reconstruction events for annexing the AUS, esp for the CSA? Since they of all the other factions would most likely impose a strong Reconstruction.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Since the Mad Baron gets an event chain to be Ghengis Khan why is there no event chain for the American Tyrant to be Julius Ceasar?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

There's an event chain for the Dominican Republic massacring Haitians

Just want to say that this event chain happened in real life. Though it was just the massacre with the US then helping Haiti get some reparations from the the Domican Republic.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
While on the topic of missing important Americans, its kinda curious that there is no mention of Walter W. Waters, leader and organizer of the bonus army. At the very least he should get a ministry slot somewhere I think.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

Steinbeck's writing in this time is so caught up in California and the specific circumstances of our Great Depression that I have no idea what he'd be doing. He could go in a bunch of different directions.

Isnt there an event where Steinbeck writes a book titled "with his fiery greatsword" or something like that? Or was it by someone else?

Also with Waters I didn't know the US didnt go into WW1, that would definitely explain his absence.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

I don't think it would be anything short of a second Reconstruction including military occupation, and the rest of this game's time window would be dominated by constant attempts to end Reconstruction

Pretty much yea. I could see a more peaceful version happening if they just didnt rise up in armed revolt and declared their own government. Which would likely happen anyway if the CSA took over.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wait, how is this guy the bad guy?

Going by wikipedia, mainly cause it seems he still works by propaganda of the deed, ie different types of terrorism

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Crossposting some interesting info from the Military History thread

PittTheElder posted:

While googling this contest (the Canadian Army Trophy presumably?) I learned that the Dutch army has a union?

quote:

(...) The Netherlands team did not compete due to a contractual issue with their military union. (...)

Nuclear War posted:

The Norwegian Army has a couple unions too, and they're amazing. Im in the one for lower ranked officers and noncoms and they saved my rear end from being fired once when I had a major beef with my unit commander. They're lawyers are amazing, usually former servicemen and they take care of you in an environment that of its very nature is given to authoritarian power plays and little to no tradition of compromise. There are limits of course. Soldiers can't go on strike, for one thing and that limits the unions power somewhat.

An interesting possible alternative to anarchist militias (BTW, has the military undergone any major reshaping/restructuring in this LP?), Im kinda curious what a fully syndicalist military would look like.

I tried to google some more info about military unions but a basic search only turned up stuff regarding alliances or the US (which bans them).

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

The Commune of France's army is mentioned as being trade union-based- I have to wonder how a system like that would operate during wartime.

Unless the Commune has no/small standing peace time army that makes no sense, hell it doesnt make sense with a professional army since while in the army your 'trade' is going to be fighting- unless its like infantry, mechanized, naval, support, etc are their own seperate union. Thats the only way that can make sense, unless you meant trade union based as taking the concept of an industry union and applying it to the army.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

It comes from this event for the Commune's elections.

Ok, I dont know enough about unions to make sense of whats supposed to be going on in that event, structurally/organizationally speaking.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

TomViolence posted:

If Canada's this timeline's North Korea, I can only wonder what its version of Vietnam will be. Possibly Vietnam.

I doubt itd be Vietnam since (for the Vietnamese) it was part of a long war against colonialism and for Independence. So I wouldn't be surprised if the CSA/CoF leans real hard on whoever controls the area to give them independence.

Also I cant remember but isnt Vietnam already independent or is it part of Indochina? Since the entire clusterfuck got started when the North Vietnam leader (forget his name) got snubbed by Wilson(?) at the WW1 peace conference.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

xthnru posted:

I can't speak for things as far as trade unions go, but we classify those kind of jobs under the same department as shipping and freight, since these are all industries that rely on long-distance travel and communication to function properly. So, possibly, you might see something like that or such jobs falling under the purview of the Teamsters along the same logic or under the IBEW, as they are electric jobs by nature of the equipment used.

Of course, all of these unions were formed under the oppressive rule of the capitalist system, so it's hard to say if we can make that kind of comparison in organization,

Whatever keeps you writing in that amazing narrative, I say.

I can also see an argument that they should fall under academic/science unions because the original purpose of computers was to do complicated calculations, plus the current view of CS as a STEM degree.

And I figure this would have a better chance of getting answered here, apparently one of the Chinese splinter states (forget their name right now) is atleast in theory a neo-Taiping revolt, assuming they win the chinese civil war are there any events for the Internationale's reaction to them and their ideology? I'd play them to find out but Im not good enough. And the tl;dr of the original Taiping beliefs is basically a synergist folk christianity-confucianism religion that atleast at the start implemented a sort of peasant communism.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

On the other hand, I suppose drawing lines that seem right without any regard for the people within those lines is pretty imperialist behavior, so maybe this is what I deserve.

It's a cool event chain and we're going to see a lot of it, but it could definitely use American copies of the events that Britain and France have to liberate states.

If you havent already, Id say this would be the big thing [so far as been revealed in teh LP] that anti-syndicalists would point to to show that its just colonialism all over again; not to mention the ethnic strife and border issues it might cause (I dont know sub Saharan Africa well enough to say if they would, though it will definitely be magnitudes better than OTL). Though for some reason I feel that in this timeline the [Pan] African Union equivalent wouldnt be as hung up on having whatever borders exist be The Borders and each state having to meld/mold/forge their clumps of disparate ethnic, tribal, religious, and racial groups into proper mostly homogeneous nation states, so that there might be more than two? (official) border changes/new countries post decolonization.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Has anyone claimed Afghanistan? Or was that them trying to control the local elites/powers than an 'invasion'?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Are there any events that deal with the CSA and the Catholic Church? Or are all future of the Church events done by the RSI?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

i am p sure that dorothy day would bring the papacy into the csa sphere through sheer force of will

someone code in a reverse lawrence of arabia event chain into the italian federation

paragon1 posted:

Obviously the syndies would just do the logical thing and put forward their own anti-Pope, who they would have installed as the Actual Pope For Reals after kicking booj-Pope out of Rome.

Clearly the answer is to install Dorothy Day as the new Pope Mary I. :getin:

But seriously I have no idea how she'd feel about that idea since apparently people oppose her being considered for sainthood because it goes against her beliefs.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

I'm not part of the HoI IV team, but from what I can see that's going to be a while. They're piecing together things country by country, are still making tech teams, and a lot of stuff is not going to directly translate, especially politics. Stick with DH.

From the KR Discord server (theres a link to join it somewhere on the forums) Id say they're about a few months from Alpha v1. Which is to say the majors (and a random smattering of other countries) have most of their stuff ported over, I want to say theyre waiting for UoB and/or the Frances to be done before officially releasing. I say officially because theyre using github for version control and anyone can download it from there.

Also would this be the appropriate thread to talk about HoI4 KR? Because I want to know what goons think of some of their design decisions, like having ten Ideologies.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Well what do you want to know about HoI4 KR?
Here's a link to the discord server, which includes both DH and HoI4 development. And Ill link the HoI4 once I can find the link again, and heres the DH Github.

And may as well copy the project status info, the name at the end is the dev who's working on it.:
Map:
- Borders: finished Selim
- Nations: in work Selim
- Cores/Claims: finished Selim

Units:
- OOB's for Majors: finished Kallar
- OOB's for Minors: in work Kallar
- New units: not started Kallar
- Unit Balance: in work Kallar

Focus Trees:
- Majors in Europe: in work Kallar Phil552
- Minors: not started (Keeping generic for now) Noone so far
- other Majors: not started No-one so far

GFX:
- Flags: finished Selim
- Leaders: in work Selim
- Ministers/Ideas: finished Selim
- Event Pictures: not started No-one so far

Ideas:
- Political ideas: not started No-one so far
- Country Ideas: not started No-one so far
- Military Ideas: not started No-one so far

Events:
- Country Events: in work Kallar

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

OddObserver posted:

I just hope the alliance/factional system is flexible enough to accommodate it.

It is most definitely does not. They managed to kludge something together so that it wont fall apart immediately, but once war is declared if a country isnt the exact same 'ideology' they leave the faction/alliance.

While I understand the desire to have each position on the ideological spectrum represented it has to be tempered with an understanding of the limits of the engine. Not to mention theres already system to group together ideologies so that anarchism, syndicalism, and totalism are all considered part of the Syndicalist ideology with the displayed party name being essentially the dominant faction, and the dominant one can be changed through events. Unless there are no triggers that are based on the sub ideology parties then I can see why they would try to kludge it the way they did.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

I don't think there are yet. HoI IV's inflexibility has been a serious disappointment, but hopefully it'll change in the future.

Ah, drat. Now I wonder if it can be done through flags, elections are events and not entirely behind the curtain right? HoI4 is just one good politics DLC away from being great.

Edit: Gonna second an interesting New World minor.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 4, 2016

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Looking through the events, staying as Syndicalist Centroafrica/Mittelafrica instead of becoming the Bantu Federation only has a special event to join the Internationale. Havent checked if the Bantu Federation gets anything special.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
CSM just want to let you know that apparently Japan's events are a combination of broken and horrifically underdeveloped/incomplete. Iirc being an imperialistic land grabber is like the only path that has any depth/detail.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Well in of the sections wasnt there a character who represented a tribe and some industry? Though what happens and what to do with them will be tricky and interesting since there wont be a one size fits all solution nor is there anything major thats been proposed OTL that could be used as a base to my knowledge.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 28, 2018

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Thinking on Native American rights in the CSA has given me some ideas on what the general level would be, as well as some potential sources of trouble/conflict in the post war era. Is it ok if I share them CSM since I dont want to poo poo up your thread otherwise?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Disclaimer I'm not an expert or well aware of the politics or history of Native American rights in the US I just know US history and politics well and read relevant wikipedia articles, nor am I a tribe member or live on tribal land. And this turned out much longer than I thought it would.

First off, you were right that things are gonna be a mess in the of the civil war with previous US treaties/laws, tribes using the war to extract various concessions from officers in return for movement rights, supplies, sending soldiers etc, and the CSA leaning on tribes intertwined with strategic resources. Even ignoring that the tribes would likely oppose a one size fits all approach since resetting the relationship between them and state often meant less power for them.

Because the LP, and mini lp, has been going on for so long I dont remember the exact timeline but I think the current date would be past when this would happen, which would be at most a year or two after the end of the Civil War.

The "Treaty-Amendment of Solidarity with the Native American Peoples"* would be the result of a conference held preferably in the largest city in the reservations. While the CSA didnt expect them to be rubberstamps the zeitgeist means its likely they got more pushback than expected, not helping was that enough radicals were sent that they used the threat of several tribes openly seceding at once, and the resulting optics of it, to help get their way. The easiest topics that were agreed to would be:
  • tribes have a "right to self determination" and sovereignty over their own affairs
  • representation at local and regional levels as well as state if they have a significant population
  • protection of Native American graves and holy sites
  • repatriation of cultural artifacts
  • recognition of tribal courts authority and extradition of accused to the tribes
  • having tribal borders be shown at the same level as states (heres what that'd look like in 2006).
The next few topics are the controversial ones that I dont know how theyd play out:
  • Are the tribes allowed to have non syndicalist forms of government? To go even further will the CSA allow tribes to reinstate a powerless figurehead monarchy if they choose to do so? I can see the more conservative tribes supporting these as a backdoor to become capitalist again.
  • What, If any, level of representation will the tribes have in Chicago?
  • Does federal CSA law have Supremacy over tribal law? If so to what extent?
  • Reversing the 1887 Dawe's Act? Since it divided up reservation lands between reservation members, making it US and not reservation land, explicitly to civilize them and any left over land was sold off instead of returned to the reservation. [This is partly for pretty borders, compare the Navajo Nation flag with their actual territory and what google maps shows for 'Navajo Nation Off-Reservation Trust Land']
  • What is the legal status and relation of tribes to the CSA, independent nations, domestic states (like Ohio), domestic nations, compacts of free association, or other? Which naturally leads to...
  • Is full and complete independence and secession from the CSA possible?
  • At the end along with flowery language saying its to last forever, "as long as rivers run" etc, would "or until the white man decides to break it" get added?

*The name I gave it is likely colored by both my own views, the fact its fantasy, and that Im in the year 2018, but the intent is that its a treaty that the tribes accept (and so are considered separate states from the CSA) as well as being an amendment to the CSA constitution which makes it harder to repeal as well as being included with copies of the constitution.

And some general Native American related issues or events that might interesting to have crop up:
OTL the National Congress of American Indians was formed in 1944, so a (trans-)national congress for Native Americans could believably from the conference.
Will Oklahoma be broken into Oklahoma and Sequoyah (formerly Indian Territory) since Congress shot down an attempt in 1905 before formally merging the two into the state of Oklahoma?
The issue of the overthrow of Hawaii might be raised again since while Queen Liliʻuokalani died in 1917 one of her adopted daughters lived until 1979, and there is the fact that it was still a colony until 1959 otl.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
It lives!

Its great see Mahkno realizing his dream. :unsmith:

And does Pancho Villa still star in movies about himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
BTW can Nestor actually become leader of the Commune in normal KR?