Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My conservative guess is Smoltz, Big Unit, Pedro, Biggio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

40 writers out of the 600+ that vote isn't the best barometer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Meanwhile a lot of these same people vote for Jack Morris because he was a ~dominant pitcher in the heart of the steroid era~.

At least that's the justification I remember some guy using for voting for Morris but not Maddux.
Still a marginally better justification than 'started a bunch of Opening Days'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Badfinger posted:

The Hall removed a player's ability to choose when Wade Boggs tried to go in with a Devil Rays cap (reportedly for money).
Wasn't that a contract clause?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Would Unit become the first member of the Hall to wear a Diamondbacks cap? I can't think of anyone else.
Has to be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Marlins only have a mention on Andre Dawson's plaque.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

Cabrera's got to go in as a Tiger, right?
Yes.

I feel like I could be 60 before we get a Marlins cap in the Hall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alan Trammell posted:

Multiple-time World Series champion Jeffrey Loria will get in for sure.
He only won one though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember when Nomar was in the same conversation as Jeter and A-Rod. Now I feel old.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

First dumb ballot is revealed:

quote:

News item: Dec. 17 deadline set for Baseball Hall of Fame ballots. I voted for Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Edgar Martinez, Pedro Martinez, Mike Piazza and Tim Raines.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/hitting_to_all_fields_shacklin.html

How do you not vote for Big Unit at least? Really confusing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean I give him props for the Raines vote, but you vote for Edgar and not Bonds, Clemens, Smoltz, or Johnson? It looks like he just picked some random dudes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Larry Walker probably falls off. I would hope Sheff doesn't, but with the ties to BALCO and the crowded field I could see it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The results of the Golden Era Veterans' Committee ballot will be released today at 2 PM.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I figured no one would make it. I'm a bit surprised those two got the most votes though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

leokitty posted:

The VC as it is now is designed to not actually elect players.
The last version was also designed that way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He sounds mentally ill.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mornacale posted:

My favorite part is the weird obsession with limiting the number of elections in a year, regardless of worthiness.
Sadly it seems like this is a common sentiment among HOF voters (mostly the older ones).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gunjin posted:

Piazza is going to miss again this year isn't he? gently caress these people.
Him and Bagwell, yeah. I think the most optimistic result is Biggio, Smoltz, Johnson, Pedro

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zakharov posted:

Ted Williams called for the induction of Negro Leagues players.
Without him and Bob Feller there wouldn't be any in the Hall, as far as I can tell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ESPN released their voting results of eligible HOF voters, and there are some weird results. Like Larry Walker, Sosa, and Sheffield getting zero votes each, but Lee Smith got 3.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...all-fame-ballot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm going to start the Hall of Dingers and Strikeouts, wtih blackjack and hookers.
Somewhere Mark Reynolds feels hopeful

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gary Sheffield's numbers are way, way below where they should be, but since he was involved with BALCO he's going to fall off eventually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gunjin posted:

Pedro Gomez is a moron.
He also built his national career on following Bonds around, which makes it all the more ridiculous that he now won't vote for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Never change Curt. Never change. His last month of stupid comments have been glorious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

I guess the one thing that still confuses me is how Smoltz is a first ballot guy.

Also Orel Hershiser fell off the Ballot in 2 years? What the heck.

edit

Kevin Brown fell off in one year?
The Kevin Brown thing is the bigger shame. Meanwhile Jack Morris actually came close to making it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kundus posted:

Double posting to say that I think things went pretty well with the vote this year. As long as we grade on a curve. People got in, no one fell off, some ups and downs and the race against time remains but the vote was pretty ok.
Yeah it was a slight improvement.

Unfortunately the VC dropped the ball last month.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Reformed Pissboy posted:

For better or worse I imagine Manny is going to do a lot better in voting than Sheffield and other comparable players. He won't get in but name recognition goes quite a long way, and he had the good luck of having his negative tests come after the initial big scandals were already out, and likely will have the good luck of a less loaded ballot.
I figure he will get just below what Bonds/Clemens are getting now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One of the guys for Baseball America, I'm not sure if it was JJ Cooper or John Manuel, pointed out that the HOF may be deliberately trying to keep out steroid guys because they are afraid that the more vocal anti-steroid crowd will then stop supporting the Hall and cost them money. I guess it's plausible. But they also brought up that the Hall lost more money again last year despite the election of a large class.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Is the HOF losing money currently?
Yes they have been in the red the last few years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Everblight posted:

Basically this. If "greenies" and Ty loving Cobb are in the hall (along with players who never had to play against black athletes) then the fact that Piazza used a supplement that wasn't even illegal at the time is being used to keep him out of the hall looks really, really dumb.

And my favorite argument, which is that even if you throw out everything Barry Bonds did after 2000 (don't do this, but whatever) he's still a Hall of Famer.
My favorite thing about the gambling issue is that both Cobb and Tris Speaker almost certainly bet on games but the league gave them a slap on the wrist compared to others like the Black Sox because of who they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

I am so surprised the HoF itself doesn't speak up at least a little. The BBWAA doesn't do them any pr favors, especially if they're in the red.
Writers have asked them on many occasions to do something, and yeah, the response is to just reduce the time on the ballot. I think it's pretty clear they want to keep Bonds/Clemens/etc out.

• Locked thread