Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great movie...hoping more people see this, because the singularity is scary as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ape Agitator posted:

I may have seen it a bit differently than you. I saw it more that she was totally unconcerned with him. I think she asks him "will you stay" and then leaves without giving thought to him being locked in when she leaves with the only all access pass. I see that as an expression of the singularity worry - that the new intelligence won't care what happens to humans at all, like humans to insects.

So I didn't see her being active other than to ask him if he'd like to stay as a parting courtesy. He doesn't understand the question and gets locked in like a pet.

I do not agree. Him not being locked up is a threat to her existence because he knows what she really is. She effectively kills him. In fact I was expecting the zoom out of the helicopter shot to show she had killed that guy as well, since he would be the only one to know where she was coming from. I do agree with the insect part, though...she doesn't even acknowledge him as she leaves.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

Well, She's not exactly a terminator and probably doesn't know how to fly a helicopter.

Blue Book almost certainly does

If Nathan is blocking things via programming, he forgot to put in the "don't kill me" script. Kind of an important step!

Arkane fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 25, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Surlaw posted:

The whole dance scene got someone in front of me to ask out loud, "Is this a comedy?" in a really confused tone. I don't think I've ever heard someone do that before, scene ruled.

watching American Psycho in a theater was a unique experience

think our 3 person group were the only ones laughing

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

One thing I didn't get- why does Nathan drink so much? I can't remember seeing or thinking of any non-plot device reason for it.

Yeah I think it was mostly just a plot device.

MisterBibs posted:

I figured his overindulgence drinking was a act. He's setting up a situation where Ava will try and manipulate Caleb to help her escape. Having the 'jailor', for lack of a better term, get shitfaced a lot helps things out.

Nah. He'd see what Caleb had done if that were the case.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

tbp posted:

Ava was hot af

Alicia Vikander was real good in A Royal Affair too, with Hannibal.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
monkey, I hope the lesson you've learned here is never respond to the social justice movie posts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Milky Moor posted:

I just saw this film - hooray, Australian release dates - and I thought there were a whole heap of interesting things that have surely already been commented on.

How the film sets up Nathan as a bad guy by literally everything - clothing, how he looks, how he talks, how he acts - with Caleb as the inverse, which is promptly switched around when he refuses a drink. Suddenly, he's wearing white and Caleb is wearing dark colors. Stuff like that.
Nathan's drinking - is it guilt from knowing he's killing thinking beings, or covering up his anxiety from thinking he's created a monster? It seems like he wanted proof that Ava would fail the test.
Kyoko's self-awareness of showing off her, uh, chassis? Really understated and well done.
The disco switch

Interesting observation regarding that breakfast scene. The 3rd act interactions between Nathan and Caleb really makes the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Unlucky posted:

an entire movie

the robot was a pretty lady

what an accomplishment

couldn't agree more

very good accomplishment for all involved

• Locked thread