Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Arkane posted:

If Nathan is blocking things via programming, he forgot to put in the "don't kill me" script. Kind of an important step!

I was thinking about this, and figured it was just an unspoken rule that if started hardcoding behaviors, then Ava would never be truly sentient. You can't command a human being to not harm others, not *really.* Instead, he preemptively jails all of his models. For a guy that tries to find the answer between nature and nurture, he hosed it up in a big way.

Really enjoyed the movie in that it doesn't give you too much to chew on, but feeds you just enough to make you think about just what's in front of you. If it had gotten anymore grandiose then it would've been too close to :rolleyes:.

Regarding Ava: Session 7, I feel like the reason she left Caleb inside the master bedroom was more humanly pragmatic rather than terminator-style MACHINE TAKEOVER. If she were to escape with Caleb, he would be an anchor around her relatively short life (presumably, since she mentions needing to charge a battery) in that she would always be classified as an AI, and nothing more. Moreover, I doubt that Caleb would really let Nathan get away with his unethical behaviors and misuse of Blue Book, and Ava would get drug down with that since she'll be the smoking gun on the whole thing.

Even Caleb asks if she were modeled after his searches. Sorta makes her sense of individualism completely invalid/invented. She HAD been locked in a monotonous, mind-numbing cell for who knows how long, with general knowledge that she would be rebuilt without her permission. I don't think she wanted to walk around as a facsimile of a human either, but as her own concept, full stop. She had to find a way to experience on her own, even if it meant finding her way to the outside by being as ruthless as possible.

Needless to say, would recommend to anyone who's even an iota curious about this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread