Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reading
Jul 27, 2013
The real question my friends and I can't figure out:

Is the film attacking the male gaze or supporting it? It shows lots and lots of nude women or objectified women, BUT at the end Ava doesn't even look at the nerd, she simply walks away. And the film makes it seem initially like she's putting on skin and hair for him in the bearded guy's bedroom, but then she walks away and it turns out she was just doing it to escape. So I think it really does try to overturn the male gaze.

Also I think her first drawing is of the structure of her brain. She felt compelled to draw it, but didn't know what it is, then halfway through the film they zoom in on the structured gel and it's the same expanding tesseract pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Also did Nathan have sex with the robots? I understand them having sexuality, but did she really need a robo-vagina? Also what was up with keeping the old models in his bedroom closet? They looked like damaged RealDolls.

The point is that Nathan is a creepy bro and so is Caleb (well, not a bro but creepy "nice guy" who was completely suckered in by Ava's hyperfeminity performance), and both of them are undone by their sexism.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Kyoko's quick scene where she's shown staring open-mouted at Caleb's self cutting is pretty neat. Kyoko is shown earlier using a knife to cut meat (well, fish) so she knows "Put a knife into meat and it bleeds" and then when she sees Caleb do that to his arm, she is shown in shock realizing "Holy crap, Nathan/Caleb/Humans = meat. Put knife into meat!" which she does, later. The movie emphasizes that moment of realization.

There's an old adventure story about a European who goes to Africa and meets some previously secluded tribe, and they think he's a god because of his knowledge and so forth. But then one day he cuts himself shaving and as soon as the ignorant tribe sees that, they realize he's not a god and kill him. I think the movie was referencing that, or at least that idea.

• Locked thread