Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Somehow this is playing for one night here in Greenville, SC. I'm pretty pumped because we barely ever get limited releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Also saw this last night and I loved it. Everything clicked with me. The two guys were great and very natural and I completely bought in to Ava.

I liked that the movie was not, "We made AI!" but more about, "How do we know if we made AI?"

Even at the end of the movie I wasn't sure if Ava was truly AI. You could argue that the way she escaped showed a lack of empathy (maybe that's why her creator said that the next model would be a real breakthrough), or you could argue that her willingness to do whatever it took to survive was extremely human.

All of the Ava session scenes were incredibly engaging. When she puts on her outfit the first time and says that's what she would wear on their date...it seemed so sweet at the time and so manipulative in retrospect.

Go see this movie.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

On the narrative's terms, she is AI, because she passed the Turing test. Caleb genuinely believed she loved him and was more than a computer.

I mostly agree with this, but it feels like another theme in the movie was the two guys questioning whether or not their methods for testing Ava were adequate in the first place (the chess problem). The creator also mentioned something about the next model being the bigger breakthrough, implying that Ava was not the finished product.

• Locked thread