Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Just had our first multiplayer victory, lost two of my heroes on the way but we ended strong with a fully kitted out 4. Playing without pause gets super intense on the last few floors and we had some major clutch moments, but managed to get through it and without any dust lost in the whole run. :black101:

The only problem is we still have no idea what we're doing and are putting our victory down to luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Pretty good run this time. There were barely any recruitable heroes this run, so I had to make do with just a trio, albeit the best trio I can imagine: Nanor, Golgy, and Mormish. Got overwhelmed on floor 9 before I even found the exit, lost Mormish and Golgy in the same turn. Somehow managed to keep Nanor alive long enough to find the exit and make a successful crystal run, but trying to solo floor 10 was an exercise in inevitability.

Quick question: is Golgy better utilized as a doorkicker or an operator? I had her switching between the two depending on the situation, but feel like it would be more efficient keeping her to one or the other, especially given the wasted turn when switching back to operating.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I think you might be wasting Golgy's mobility if you kept her in a room as operator. If you have really awesome door-kicking heroes (I had a really great Max (Pilfer) - Deena (with Hand Vacuum) door-kicking duo once) , maybe have her defend a chokepoint and operate while she's at it, but then I'd consider ditching her for a purer operator.

I would use her to open doors (high DPS and "Pickpocket"), reinforce choke points (high speed to get places and "Webslinger" to cripple baddies), and make harassing retreats ("Crawler" and "Webslinger"). She has "Pickpocket," though, so just make sure she is wherever monsters are dying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I am so bad at this. How do I get better? I've been concentrating on industry, then hoping to find enough research to get more industry, prods or weapons. Things go sour several levels in when I cant defend against the hordes and everyone dies.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I am so bad at this. How do I get better? I've been concentrating on industry, then hoping to find enough research to get more industry, prods or weapons. Things go sour several levels in when I cant defend against the hordes and everyone dies.

Use your science to get AOE modules (Seblasters, Claymores, or especially Tear Gas) and Neurostuns. Prisoner prods are almost worthless; their only advantage is their cheapness, but they're inefficient in terms of module slots and thus dust use.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Glidergun posted:

Use your science to get AOE modules (Seblasters, Claymores, or especially Tear Gas) and Neurostuns. Prisoner prods are almost worthless; their only advantage is their cheapness, but they're inefficient in terms of module slots and thus dust use.

Personally, I like to hold chokepoints with Autodocs and a Suppressive Firebot. Purposefully leave a few branches unpowered to spawn dudes. I've gotten like 20 goddamn dust with Mormash + Esseb Tarosh in a single wave.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Firebots and a few rooms with bot operated HUDs stack together quite nicely, and a hero with a high rate of attack can mow down hordes of spawns. You can end up with someone like Golgy or Skroig with a base attack in the 300s, and combined with their naturally high rate of attack they're plastering enemies faster than any combination of offensive modules can manage.

When you compare HUD defense strategy to Seblaster/Neurostun defense there are some tradeoffs. Both run you nearly the same amount of industry. HUD defense is outstanding at neutralizing the tougher spawns, and doesn't care if there are strong anti-module creeps mixed in. However, masses of crystal-eaters and those floating gem thingies can bypass a HUD hero defense, but are in turn eaten whole by a good Seblaster room. Furthermore, a Seblaster room requires at least 4 slots to work, and really needs at least 5 to be useful, and even then anti-module hordes can take them down pretty quickly.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Welp. We beat every other pod on easy, now just sanitary is left. Opening a door into a room with zero minor or major modules is actually terrifying.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So the four new characters are actually pretty unique and fun, I'm glad they aren't just palette swaps with zero thought put into them. I love how the Medic's passive skill is basically group therapy :v:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah, they're surprisingly good - in another game I could see them being lifeless cash-in dudes with all abilities ripped from preexisting heroes, but they have some interesting abilities, and actual names.

Heavy: Misha Cherny. As expected, is a big dumb slow dude-killing man along the lines of Gork "Butcher" Koroser. Wield machine guns. Passively gets +speed based on his HP regen, has an ability that gives everyone in the room +22 HP regen and shares Psycho Killer with Gork and Troe Pekenyo. Attack damage, though his attack speed is listed at 1, doesn't come in single big chunks like everyone else but in a continuous stream.

Medic: Kaspar Herab. Wants to sit in a chokepoint with multiple people. Unique passive is "Group Therapy," which boosts defense in the room and states that Pack of Dogs and Got your Back bonuses are applied "with any heroes in the room". I think this means it removes the faction restrictions on them? For activatables, has Paramedic (like Nurse Ratchet and Opbot) and Ubercharge, which makes everyone in the room invincible. Speedy enough to make a reasonable doorkicker in a pinch. Wields swords, but doesn't have a great attack.

Engineer: Dell Bradford. The only new character to get Operate. Has the passive ability "Gear Check" which increases the priority of repairing modules to above attacking enemies. Activated abilities are Crawler (shared with Golgy) and an ability which raises the defense of all modules on the map, like a temporary LAN module. Wields spears, similarly doesn't have a great attack.

Pyro: Pat Bates. The most unique character. Attack does no damage; instead, it applies a DOT in an area of effect. Has a second accessory instead of a weapon. Has the ability "Gas Mask", which provides immunity to toxic clouds (the slowing room effect). Activated abilities are "prevent all non-DOT damage that would be dealt in this room" and Health Hazard (Rakya Pulmoni's room DOT). Very food-hungry, since his attack's damage is based only on level and can't be boosted by gear. A decent doorkicker, especially if you can get him +speed and micro him.

They have an elevator conversation if you get all four of them together.

Additionally, there are a few new accessory-slot items:

Gas Mask: +defense and the Pyro's gas mask skill.
Dove: +speed and the Medic's Group Therapy skill.
Sandvich: -speed, +HP, +a lot of HP regen.
Tower of Hats: +defense, the skill that gives +attack for each enemy in the room.
jPad: -defense and the Engineer's Gear Check skill.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Haven't played in a while and didn't realize there were new characters. Good summaries. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yup, they are great and nicely designed. Makes me anxious to see the next community character.

Did they ever add all the stuff from the goals back during the Endless event they had a month ago?

• Locked thread