Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Jesus Christ you have so much SIF.

Yeah what the hell, man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
The game apparently thought it was okay to give me exactly zero dust while opening 8 doors on the final floor. I shouldve taken a screenshot. Died one floor from the elevator after i ran out of food. Ugh.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Speedball posted:

Yeah what the hell, man?

Well, after awhile you only have so much use for them, you want to keep a good stockpile for supreme emergencies (i.e. getting 0 dust over like 10 rooms), and I wouldn't say it's too hard to get; I usually play extremely greedy for the opening levels and end up with similar numbers.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My original team up to floor ten or so were Rakya, Mormish, Elise and Kreyang, so I had three modules always being operated at all times. They were later replaced with a combat heavy team. Eventually I stopped leveling and finished all research, so I only spent food on heals and science on refreshes. Getting eaely merchants helped in some of the 16+ floors, allowing me to get up to 300 or so dust by the end of a floor.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Well, after awhile you only have so much use for them, you want to keep a good stockpile for supreme emergencies (i.e. getting 0 dust over like 10 rooms), and I wouldn't say it's too hard to get; I usually play extremely greedy for the opening levels and end up with similar numbers.

It definitely made me regret never researching emergency generators, since I had plenty of industry by the end of it.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I bought this game a few days ago.

I won once, on very easy. My team was Sara/Elise/Mizi/Joleri. Even on very easy it wasn't all that easy... though it is probably what let me get my huge stockpile of food (it was over 500) that more or less let me win through a ridiculous rush that I really shouldn't have.

Still took me nine tries.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Hooooooly poo poo Chef Nanor is so OP. Cooking with Gas + Neuro Stun mods are so freaking strong if you can build choke points effectively.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So this is sort of weird, but after watching a couple of videos on this game, I noticed that other people had effects that I wasn't seeing in my own game. For example, in this this video, you can see how the flames have a shimmering particle effect that is completely absent from my own game. I haven't modded or tweaked the game in any way, so I'm wondering why I can't see them...unless they were removed in patch before I ever played the game. My GPU is a MSI GTX 770 with up-to-date drivers, so I wouldn't think it would be the card.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 31, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So this is sort of weird, but after watching a couple of videos on this game, I noticed that other people had effects that I wasn't seeing in my own game. For example, in this this video, you can see how the flames have a shimmering particle effect that is completely absent from my own game. I haven't modded or tweaked the game in any way, so I'm wondering why I can't see them...unless they were removed in patch before I ever played the game. My GPU is a MSI GTX 770 with up-to-date drivers, so I wouldn't think it would be the card.

It looks like an older build (judging by the mayor module slot, the way notifications are shown and some bits of the UI) but yeah, those look really nice.

That intro. :stare:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Can I get an invite to the Steam Group? http://steamcommunity.com/id/im_special

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Azran posted:

It looks like an older build (judging by the mayor module slot, the way notifications are shown and some bits of the UI) but yeah, those look really nice.

That intro. :stare:

Yeah, you're right. The more I look at it, the more differences I notice. Interesting...wonder why they scrapped the particle effects.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Might have been for style reasons. The awesome particle effects look much more fine-grain than the pixels everything else is made out of.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got this gifted to me today, and after dying horribly once I bought the crystal upgrade. It's quite fun, and I look forward to dying horribly many more times.

Even when I just figured out that I can upgrade stuff myself.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Finally beat Easy after dying five times on the last floor thanks to the great Nanor gas chamber.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Quick q: if i find something out about a crew member (like if two crew members have history) will it update their in-game dossier or should i keep notes about stuff like that?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it shows up on their bio

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Hmmm.. a more challenging question then. If everything is illuminated does the timer do anything? Do enemies in unexplored rooms spawn based on the timer or does it only affect (i assume) your score

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, timer?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Depends on what you mean. Eventually monsters will start knocking down doors when you take a turn/open a door, so you're not necessarily safe if everything you've opened is lit.
If you mean during the final dash with the crystal, same thing, every door opens. If you manage to light up every single room on a floor nothing will spawn.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
uh it seems that there are turns (opening doors) and then there's a separate timer where modules are building and i assumed enemies spawn in unlit rooms and i guess the question is can you just let the game run with no consequence or is the pause function um useless outside of combat

e: cool ty the above poster, whose name i didn't catch, for answering my question without unnecessary and terminologically incorrect clarification

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Anyway, once you hear the chime after killing the last enemy that spawns you're safe until you open another door, you can idle as long as you like.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Modules generate resources at the exact moment a new door is opened.

Between moment of the last previous enemy being killed and the next door being opened time stops. Nothing progresses. You can walk the dog without putting it on pause and nothing will happen.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
On the later levels I'd get these ugly fat pink things spawning that would stay put in their rooms, so I'd have to go hunt them down before the chime would show up.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, the fact that the action is bursty in this game is one of the reasons why I've been playing it so much. It's great as a second monitor game while I'm working on or watching something else on the primary.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Just to echo what others have said, library pod is extra-easy mode. I think there's some dust multipliers that it doesn't even tell you. Floor 12 isn't supposed to be almost entirely powered, even on Very Easy. Also note those resource amounts are after maxing every character level and researching every item to l4.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is there a steamgroup for this? I can't find a pubbie lobby that doesn't kick.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/chewymouse/

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I just beat my first run on Very Easy with basically no issue. Then I lost a couple times on Easy, and switched back to Very Easy. First floor was literally one long hallway and only like 40 dust in ten rooms, so I kept having to run all the way back to the crystal to keep from losing from the five waves spawning way back every door. No operators, no merchant, no new heroes. I lost carrying the crystal because about forty enemies spawned. On floor one. On Very Easy. This game has some crazy variance.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

That is a really harsh layout for sure, I've never had that happen so early into a run.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The problem that I find a lot of players make is not putting down turrets. Put down some turrets. It's why Library Pod is so easy. You're FORCED to place turrets.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I start out pretty much every floor establishing a choke point out of each exit to the initial room with neurostun modules and whatever my best researched weapon is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

At first I loved the Tesla. Then I noticed how good the Claymore is.

The four rooms I make are basically this (empty module-dependant):

2/3 claymores + 1/2 slowing modules.

3 slowing modules + 1 claymore for the longass hallways that lead to the crystal.

Bio-organic transferrence + 2 suppresive firebots + 2 dust ion whatevers for my hero room. It'd be great if you can get Tactical and LAN modules down somewhere.

Add 1 or 2 KSP cannons if you notice enemy module destroyers going for your claymores.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

uh it seems that there are turns (opening doors) and then there's a separate timer where modules are building and i assumed enemies spawn in unlit rooms and i guess the question is can you just let the game run with no consequence or is the pause function um useless outside of combat

e: cool ty the above poster, whose name i didn't catch, for answering my question without unnecessary and terminologically incorrect clarification

Sorry, I tend to miss extremely stupid things in games that I play, so it wouldn't have surprised me that there was a timer all along and I never noticed. :downs:

Also, here's a tip to make it up to you: once you're at the point where rhino riders appear, never leave dark rooms with unopened doors far from your heroes.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 2, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can I get an invite to the steam group as well? I think I'm getting the hang of things

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dasgoat/

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Made a steam group and invited everyone I saw in the thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791437035062

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I got to floor 11 and then those fucker doorbashers made like 6 thousand guys spawn and I got overran, rip

Glad I grabbed this though, it's pretty fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's of a lot of difficult-to-quantify charm about Dungeon. Vibrant colors, gameplay that consists of quiet time punctuated by frenzies, the fact that you get resources for every door means it's the first dungeon crawler to have the "just-one-more-turn" feel of a 4X game (for me anyway), amusing character interactions, great music, surprising strategic options...

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

There's of a lot of difficult-to-quantify charm about Dungeon. Vibrant colors, gameplay that consists of quiet time punctuated by frenzies, the fact that you get resources for every door means it's the first dungeon crawler to have the "just-one-more-turn" feel of a 4X game (for me anyway), amusing character interactions, great music, surprising strategic options...

It hops a lot of genres and does so adroitly. The polish is amazing, and if multiplayer's kinks are worked out, I would definitely get this for all my friends rather than another dull board game night

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So which of the two Steam groups are we going to use then? :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So I think I know the answer already, but just to confirm: When you begin a research project--and, as usual, it will take 3 turns for the project to finish--but it turns out there are only 1 or 2 doors left on the level, does the project just finish early?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So I think I know the answer already, but just to confirm: When you begin a research project--and, as usual, it will take 3 turns for the project to finish--but it turns out there are only 1 or 2 doors left on the level, does the project just finish early?

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, opening the last door on a floor will automatically finish all research projects in progress no matter how far along they were.

• Locked thread