Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

WEBSITE // STEAM // GAME UPDATES // STEAM GROUP

IN ONE SENTENCE: Roguelike (Or lite, i dont care. :argh:) Dungeon crawler with strong tower defence focus, planning and frantic pausing to avoid a horrible death. Just click this instead. :allears:

quote:

Dungeon of the Endless is a Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense game for PC and Mac, made by Amplitude Studios, in which the player and team must protect the generator on their crashed ship while exploring an ever-expending dungeon, all while facing waves of monsters and special events as they try to find their way out.

Quite a retro look, but im strangely fond of it. :3: Whats Behind the Door teaser Its a fun little video to get you into the spirit of the game.

Heres a PCGamer review.

Rock Paper Shotgun's Review is up! Here's the link.

Dungeon of the Endless is pretty much what it's advertising as, a roguelike dungeon crawler with tower defence. As you fight for the lives of your team, gather what resources and equipment you can, save who is worth taking and mourn the death of whoever you didn't click to force feed more food into to increase their life.

It also features a Multiplayer mode! Apparently you cant pause so while you might have another mind and set of hands to work alongside, you're going to be busy while doing so!

There are two versions, Pixel and Founder, make sure you give the Founder a once over if you're interested in extras. If im being honest, the soundtrack is in the Pixel version so thats the best part of the Founder pack already yours.

GAMEPLAY:

The goal of the game? Move the power core from your crashed dropship ever upwards through the twisting labyrinthine maze of an Endless facility and survive. If you've ever played Endless Space or Endless Legend, yes its the same universe right alongside the super-substance Dust and its fellows, Food, Industry and Science.

You spend Food to upgrade heroes and heal them. Science to unlock more plug-ins for the tower defence element. Industry to build said plugs and Dust to power (and illuminate! This is important!) rooms.

As you open doors, you will gain more resources, but every door opened comes with dangers, not only from that direction but also from the darkened rooms you have explored before. You do not have enough dust to illuminate all of the dungeon, you will be attacked from the dark places, this is where the tower defence comes in. Do you use your band as a mobile force and save all of your industry for building? Do you build and run to a safe room when bad things emerge? Or are you content in your defence, eager to push on with exploring? Decisions, decisions...

Ultimately you will need to move the core to the exit, and when that comes about, all hell will break loose as every darkened room rushes out monsters eager to end your run. Best you have swift feet.

PLOT:

quote:

A few hundred condemned criminals were being shipped to the Auriga system on board the prison hulk “Success”. While this was presented as a chance to earn back their place in society by working hard for the common good, they understood that in fact they would be slave labour, sent to colonize an unexplored planet. All they knew about Auriga Prime was what the probes told them: it had water, temperate zones, plant life, and plenty of metals in the crust.

In fact, the planet Auriga once hosted a major settlement of the galaxy-travelling ancestors known as the Endless. In addition, the planet was still orbited by a functioning (and well cloaked) defensive system, which sprang eagerly to life upon the arrival of the Success. Within a few minutes, the ship was nothing but a few large chunks of metal falling toward the planet.

Every set of holding cells also functioned as an escape pod, so the ship let itself disintegrate and the surviving prisoners fell bruised but (temporarily) alive and (momentarily) safe to the planet below. Safe, that is, until they realized that they had crashed through some sort of facility of the Endless, down to a sub-basement so deep and ancient it might as well be called a dungeon…

The plot is further revealed in elevator rides and other discoveries. The characters you start with and the ones you rescue have interesting things to talk about. Ingame, this knowlege is slowly gathered up in the Album,

Your runs are recorded in the Journal,

Where you can regret not pausing, or hoarding your food, for all time. :qq:

Items have amusing descriptions, lets see some more from fellow players!

RESOURCES:

Once again, Ampitude has done a gorgeous soundtrack to go with the game, (cant find it on youtube so bandcamp it is) similar to Endless Space and Legend.

I have a raw twitch stream from a few versions back that can be used to get a feel, Here and i plan to do some more streaming, at least of the new version, for anyone whos interested. http://www.twitch.tv/thyrork

Some more videos. Mild commentary and a very silly mistake towards the end involving Opbot. :argh:

HINTS AND TIPS:

Spacebar is your goddamned best friend, learn it, use it, love it!

The map is functional and makes for a good planning ground. In multiplayer it shines to keep you on your toes.

This button? Its a big deal. But you dont have infinite food and its also used to upgrade your heroes. So choose carefully between retreat, healing and the future possibilities of promotion.

"I didn't notice this innocent little button for the longest time, but drat is it important. You pay a tiny amount of useless science points to instantly recharge your characters' special abilities. There's no cooldown, so I usually abuse this on hard waves in the endgame to fire off several of those Elise Ness AoE attacks." - Enchanted Hat

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Post reserved for any future announcements and perhaps a more expanded "Tips and Tricks" if it bloats.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Lorini posted:

Dumb question I'm sure, but is it available from other than Steam?

Yep! http://g2g.amplitude-studios.com/Games/Dungeon-of-the-Endless

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

bobtheconqueror posted:

I got really lucky on my first successful run. My four man team after a couple floors was two pairs for story stuff. I think I finished both, but I'm not sure. I know I finished one, cause, well, somebody got murdered on an elevator.

:stare: I also just recruited "Spider Woman", who has some great flavour text. Ill post it tomorrow.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

This game. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for that tip Hat, didn't know it was a thing! Shoved it into the OP.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

This game. :allears: It causes monsters to aggro onto the offending hero, as you'd expect.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I also just won on very easy and streamed awhile of it. Will upload it and put it on here for fence sitters to watch (buy the game. :ssh:). Its mildly narrated as i was replying to chat.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Did Some more videos, mild commentary. Midways run that lead to my first win, then me being bad at death or glory and accidentally selling Opbot in a tired haze instead of upgrading. :smith:

Its still raw gameplay footage by the medium of twitch so mostly to the benefit of any fence sitters reading in.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
You jest, but "Star Wars: Republic Commando" set in the Endless Space universe sure would be something. :getin:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Me and KillerofLawyers were having some fun with this Multiplayer but its not perfect sadly. :smith:

Had a desync problem that resulted in me having to Alt+f4 to get past the loading screen for kol, resulting in my two heroes leaving.

Income and Dust is shared, pooled resources, research and inventory is personal.

All in all, its a fun "few hours to kill" bit of entertainment. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Dont be shy to drop it down to Very Easy, game is rough!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Flipswitch posted:

This just went up on the Amplitude FB page which I had to repost here because it made me laugh:

The pug on the star is great. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The pug is an actual character in the game, playable only if you use random.

Better not be lying to me here buddy. :magical:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm streaming now with the Sanitary Pod on Easy. Bonus points for Thyrork, as I have the pug on my starting team.

https://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Missed it, Christmas is not a day for things regarding to the internet! :aaa:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Putting this in the OP, feel free to invite me and promote, ill help when i notice.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 3, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Azran posted:

What's your steam username again? :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shadowmorn/

I'd forgotten that i have this very silly Not Thyrork name. ;)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I've never had either of them "explode" on me. :aaa:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think i caught up with the two new invites, but if anyone got missed, post again.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tafferling posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K2aQYDmsocQ

I just found this old trailer taking the piss on the "what type of game is this" debate.
It's hilarious

How did i not see this until now? :allears: This'll be perfect to replace the "in one sentence" blurb in the OP. :haw:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 11, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Final_Fantasy_13_Level_Design.png :allears: The new hero is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TastyLemonDrops posted:

There's no matchmaking. It's just people trying to play with their friends in formed lobbies. Don't bother playing MP unless you're playing with people you can communicate with via Teamspeak or something.

I totally disagree, do it for a few games and see if RNG pays off.

Frantically saying "NO DONT OPEN THAT DOOR!" in typing has its magical moments too, you know. :allears:

• Locked thread