Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

When I was like 10 my parents took me to Barnes & Noble to spend my birthday money and in the computer section there was this weird British game called Diggers on sale for :20bux:. It was basically Lemmings crossed with Terraria and was pretty sweet, unfortunately no one ever heard of it and the market for games where you screw around and dig tunnels laid dormant for another 15 years until a fat neckbeard rediscovered it and became a billionaire. What other weird cool games did you have as a kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lonesomedwarf posted:

captain comic

usually the music from captain comic would randomly pop into my head but i cant remember it now that im trying to. i never finished any of these games

It was some piece of classical or old timey music that felt kind of out of place if I remember correctly, don't know what it was though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lonesomedwarf posted:

i think this was it, apparently its the "marines hymn"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwS6OkgUXKE

In the year 2400 humanity will be flying around saving the galaxy from evil space wizards and space dinosaurs and energy beings and the Marines will still be bragging about that time we kicked Mexico's rear end. Sounds right.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

somecallmetim posted:

Basically a RTS but with one unit you control and no building.

Sir, we've discovered the missing evolutionary link between good games and DOTA

My god man, do you realize what this means for video game science?!?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh man, now I remember the weirdest and most obscure game ever. When I was really little our first family "computer" was a C64, followed by an old Tandy DOS machine. Shortly after that my dad bought a Mac for work, and because it was self-contained and relatively portable sometimes he would bring it home and even put shareware games and poo poo on it, like I remember there was an adaptation of Mille Bornes (it blew my mind when I later discovered this was an actual card game.) But the most bizarre and magical game of all was CAP'N MAGNETO:

Completely bizarre rear end adventure game with some light RPG elements (and lots of shareware nag screens). There were all kinds of random aliens that would sort of kramer around the map and there were items to collect and puzzles to solve but I never got very far. I would grind up by killing a bunch of aliens and then randomly get owned by some superalien out of the blue. In retrospect I'm not even sure what I thought I was accomplishing by genociding aliens but it made numbers go up and that was the extent of my 6 year old understanding of videogames.

Astoundingly, the game's shareware site still exists like some kind of prehistoric fly preserved in amber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lonesomedwarf posted:

i had a shareware copy of one game that had randomly generated dungeons which i played a lot, i can't remember the name but i keep thinking it was something like descent or depths, its probably not though. it was supposed to be scifi in the sense that you were exploring underground in some planet, but the thing that kept killing me was that you only had a limited amount of oxygen and when you ran out you died. there were mushrooms or something that you could use to get more oxygen, i think. i had a hex editor and went through changing certain values that were "01" to "00" until i found the one that modified the oxygen value and i got pretty far with it then. i thought that was pretty resourceful for a 10 year old but unfortunately ive never done anything as clever as that since.

another one was excelsior which i loved

i ended up buying the full version just a few years ago actually, even though it's still like $12 or something, and got around to finishing it but it was underwhelming over all

edit

http://excelsior-rpg.com/register.htm

15 loving US dollars

Both of these owned. The first one is called Reaping the Dungeon. About ten years go i went back and completed the registered version, but it was also disappointing--it advertised like 60 levels compared to the 15 in the shareware version, but it did not add anything close to 4x as much content, so it was just a boring slog. Sadly a lot of shareware games did that. FIVE THOUSAND NEW LEVELS (that are all slight variations on the same thing, or huge empty boxes with cute names, and maybe 2 that are the same quality as the shareware levels.)

• Locked thread