Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

fury of the furries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

heres one its called waxworks

i bought it years ago and it came on those floppy disks 5.whatever and it had one of those copy protection cardboard circle things

i liked it a lot here are some screenshots

the idea was that there was a waxworks and you were there for some reason that i cant remember maybe you inherited it anyway there were four exhibits and you had to go into each, one was a mine with horrible plant creatures, one was jack the ripper and you had to fight jack the ripper at the end, one was a pyramid and one was a graveyard with zombies and a vampire. the zombie level was cool because you had to cut their arms off then their head

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i didnt manage to finish it but i solved a puzzle in the pyramid level and felt pretty cool

there were some pretty detailed death screens and the graphics were great for the time, i didnt have a sound card though

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the lemmings game is factually inaccurate ive been waiting for the perfect time to drop this bombshell

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

here are some more

dangerous dave in the haunted mansion!!!!

captain comic

usually the music from captain comic would randomly pop into my head but i cant remember it now that im trying to. i never finished any of these games

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

this was one of the first games i ever played besides alley cat

it was pretty cool i guess

then there was a "3d" version which predated wolfenstein but i didnt like it as much

i did finish these ones

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i was blown away when i saw the ega graphics after seeing it in cga for so long. anyway

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

It was some piece of classical or old timey music that felt kind of out of place if I remember correctly, don't know what it was though.

i think this was it, apparently its the "marines hymn"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwS6OkgUXKE

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

proof of concept posted:

I played this a lot when I was 5-6. The suggested age range on the box makes me think the people at that company didn't give kids much credit in the brains department.

skull wall posted:

CHOPPER.EXE

dos EGA oldie that was pretty cool for the time

http://youtu.be/6iIlW9k3lrc

gary oldmans diary posted:

Castle of the Winds for PC
now legit freeware by author but 16-bit

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i had a shareware copy of one game that had randomly generated dungeons which i played a lot, i can't remember the name but i keep thinking it was something like descent or depths, its probably not though. it was supposed to be scifi in the sense that you were exploring underground in some planet, but the thing that kept killing me was that you only had a limited amount of oxygen and when you ran out you died. there were mushrooms or something that you could use to get more oxygen, i think. i had a hex editor and went through changing certain values that were "01" to "00" until i found the one that modified the oxygen value and i got pretty far with it then. i thought that was pretty resourceful for a 10 year old but unfortunately ive never done anything as clever as that since.

another one was excelsior which i loved

i ended up buying the full version just a few years ago actually, even though it's still like $12 or something, and got around to finishing it but it was underwhelming over all

edit

http://excelsior-rpg.com/register.htm

15 loving US dollars

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You didn't like Sanders' Poultry Eliminator?

that only sounds vaguely familiar. is that a side quest where you have to kill chickens or something? i get the joke, either way

Hellbeard posted:

ZZT
MS-DOS ANSI based game maker sort of deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT

zzt had a pretty active community due to the game editor for a while on irc in the 2000's but i had absolutely nothing to do with it and never attempted to make any games for it so i dont know much about that at all

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

I also remember Dangerous Dave and Alley Cat was very popular here.

i dont think anyone actually made alley cat, it just appeared one day on a floppy disk and was passed around all over the world

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Reaping the Dungeon

yeah that was it. i searched and found a site where you can download that and some others, but i dont know if its :filez: or not. some of these other ones brought back memories

Digger, i loving loved this when i was like, i dont know 5

Aldo's Adventure

Stunts

God of Thunder

Hexxagon

Jetpack

i also remembered Street Rod which was loving amazing and i usually play it once every couple of years.

i searched for it and someone released a version with extra cars or some poo poo this year. sounds a bit dodgy but im about to try it at 1:51 in the morning because i have no life i will report back

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Goosed it. posted:

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure!

This came loaded on a computer that someone gave to my family when I was 8. It was amazing and I haven't found a single other person who's heard of it.

ha ha yeah i remember that. i am getting some serious nostalgia from this thread

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

this guy owns the copyright for street rod and street rod 2 since 2012 and is working on Street Rod Online or something i dont know, sounds cool if its true, anyway the game works and the cars are different. its called Street Rod SE if you're interested

edit: theres a twitter thing with updates and its on facebook too apparently

https://twitter.com/StreetRodOnline

lonesomedwarf fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 1, 2014

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

i got pretty obsessively involved in the zzt community in the late 90s as a depressed teen. put out a few games..... and i made these comics that were PUBLISHED on zzt.org

http://www.autofish.net/video_games/creation/zzt/nomad_comics.html

i could have related to these at one poi... actually i can relate to the last one now

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

yeah we got that one. i dont even know how, probably sharing disks, dad was paranoid about it for years afterwards

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i wasnt going to do this but gently caress it, does anyone remember a game on windows 3.1 where you played as a superheroine and you had things like heat ray vision and i think electricity powers, it was kind of RPGish in that you had stats that you could increase (i think) and you could make your powers more... powerful.

there were situations that you could get into and if you had certain stats or a power at a certain level they would be easier, like i think i remember if you had your heat ray vision up you could kill a guy trying to rob a store through the wall. i believe there were fights you got into that were played sort of turn based.

it was on one of those CDs packed with games, and it was definitely on windows. i've been trying to find it for years, but i can't remember anything else about it and i can't remember the name. if anyone could help id be pretty loving appreciative

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

if i remember correctly the graphics were kind of amatuerish and cartoony, it wasn't by a big name developer or anything

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

please explaijn what tumblewogs is. or are. thanks ia

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

drat, no that wasnt it. that looks alright though. this game was made by like one guy in his closet or something. i think i may have been the only person to ever play it

thanks anyway!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

oh hey anyone played Normality that was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

normality intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkUnyxXbQs

• Locked thread