Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

populous: the beginning

played it online for years even though i was never very good at it. still waiting for a worthy successor because black & white just doesn't cut it

lonesomedwarf posted:

captain comic

usually the music from captain comic would randomly pop into my head but i cant remember it now that im trying to. i never finished any of these games

think i made it to level 2 at most. i was really bad at games as a kid

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cell posted:

Enemy Nations was a very highly-rated RTS from '97, but I've never met anyone who's actually played it. It's freeware now (http://www.enemynations.com/index.html) and the developer makes enterprise software these days. I guess it doesn't really hold up nearly 15 years later, but I always enjoyed playing it.

holy poo poo i played this for hours on end when i was ten years old

it gives you a great feeling of setting up and expanding your colony on an unknown planet, and the economic system was surprisingly sophisticated, but the enemy AI is totally broken and either rushes you right at the beginning or does nothing at all

i remember taking a really long time to place my rocket ship to make sure it was close to both coal/iron deposits and forests. it was one of those weird games that was light-years ahead of its time but at the same time was pretty much broken

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i bet none of you ever even heard of Aztec, a nineties russian RTS where you could play as alternate-history aztecs, russians or asians

i played this so much even though it's objectively probably not very good

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:eyepop:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

how is that not appropriate for a child

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i played that, cool whimsical platdormer

Not very obscure though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is actually one of Apogee's better-known games other than Commander Keen and Duke Nukem.

did anyone play apogee's hocus pocus, probably one of the first plfatformers i finished

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Probably around 1999-2000 I used to play this space strategy game that I really loved but have never been able to find since. It was the sort where you could colonize planets, build armies and stuff, it was hard as poo poo though and I always lost. I didn't even have the full version. :( Wish I could find it again

imperium galactica?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

which one of you played seven kingdoms

i played it so much even though i could only win on the higher difficulties by exploiting the hell out of game mechanics

looking back, what happeend to the RTS genre

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Awwwww yeah. drat shame it doesn't like Windows 8.

no one does

:hfive:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

no one does

:hfive:

alright i'm ready for YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011