Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will bring this dynasty to an end?
This poll is closed.
Cletus's Recruiting Cheat Codes 2 22.22%
Responsibilities of Life 1 11.11%
Goon Meet Gone Wrong 1 11.11%
Nathan 1 11.11%
EA Bullshit 4 44.44%
Total: 9 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Dick Butt for Heisman campaign continues!

@ #14 Wisconsin (CPU)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0IpFf-B00c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKitid5QqTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5HFJlZybas

vs Ball State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlUOi2W3XI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJKSeSCEVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI9awiAXaKI

(that last one there was an unreal catch in the end zone, I wasn't sure he got a foot in but it got a booth review, if you watch any of them, watch that one)

Dick Butt has over 1000 receiving yards and over 10 TDs now. I'm going all in on Butt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Cletus, how are you getting these videos from the game? The old EA user profile setup is gone so I have no idea how you're doing this.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

John Brown posted:

Cletus, how are you getting these videos from the game? The old EA user profile setup is gone so I have no idea how you're doing this.
In Chrome, right-click in the area where the video is but on the left/right arrow (for the carousel functionality - if you click directly on the video you get the Flash crap which isn't what you want). Pick "Inspect Element" from the context menu.

In the bottom, in the HTML, you'll see the spot that will probably be right before what it highlights automatically, a div named "carousel-inner". Expand that div out, and you'll find a node for each slide of the carousel. The ones with videos you'll see a direct URL to an FLV, just right-click "Open Link in New Tab" and then do "Save Page As" on the resulting tab.

I don't think you can View Source of the page to find the FLVs, but you might be able to do that too. I think they are dynamically pulled into the page using a JavaScript framework and if so they probably aren't just in the source - but I didn't check.

Lemme know if you have any problems.

edit - I could do a join.me session to show you if you have trouble.

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 16, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dub - I'm around so I can make time just post up.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Dub - I'm around so I can make time just post up.

Ive been sick all weekend and still not feeling up to a match tonight.. Maybe an hour? Tomorrow afternoon?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

Ive been sick all weekend and still not feeling up to a match tonight.. Maybe an hour? Tomorrow afternoon?

Tomorrow evening possibly. Not the afternoon sadly. Back to a regular work schedule now M-F.

9 CT?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tomorrow evening possibly. Not the afternoon sadly. Back to a regular work schedule now M-F.

9 CT?

my fiance is dragging me to some cooking class at 630 PST tonight; if i can get out of it, sure. If not, I'll try sneak home early and be home around 4 PST/6 CT.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

my fiance is dragging me to some cooking class at 630 PST tonight; if i can get out of it, sure. If not, I'll try sneak home early and be home around 4 PST/6 CT.

I won't even be home till later anyway man so no worries. I can be up late, so after your cooking thing perhaps?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I won't even be home till later anyway man so no worries. I can be up late, so after your cooking thing perhaps?

i'll be up late tonight too because i have a bunch of Madden stuff to play. I'll post after the cooking class.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

i'll be up late tonight too because i have a bunch of Madden stuff to play. I'll post after the cooking class.

Sounds good I will watch for it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hey bud i can play at 8 pst.

Nevermind. Goddamnit wont be home until at least 9.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 18, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

Hey bud i can play at 8 pst.

Nevermind. Goddamnit wont be home until at least 9.

That's fine man, I won't be able to play till at least 9 PST, so see you on a little after that.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
logging in for the slaughter

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I'm getting on now.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
GGZ, I need work on D and holy god I miss my fast QB. I'm not used to a pocket pass O at all.

OSU over Wisconsin 35-17.

E: still confused i got picked on a hb dump off :v:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dubious posted:

GGZ, I need work on D and holy god I miss my fast QB. I'm not used to a pocket pass O at all.

Run commit is either amazing or disaster. Scored all my points in the first half and just ground off time and ate up yards in the 2nd half. Defense did their share with 4 takeaways. That HB dump off was from the far hash across the field, it's a tough angle not that surprised it was undercut. Shallow angle.

It was a good game, yardage wise we were relatively close, I just had a number of explosive plays that ended in scores (esp off the backs of turnovers) which helped me race out and hold the lead.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

Dubious posted:

Pocket QBs aren't so bad, with good THA they can make some absurd passes. I tend to prefer "balanced" guys so I can still run the zone read but even with nimble guys I almost never leave the pocket. I'm stuck with a legless QB as well for the next two years but his arm makes up for it. Key is route combinations and presnap reads. Make sure you have at least one route that beats man and one that beats zone each play. Watch the LBs to see the D called, account for the safeties and find your guy. Oh and run the ball, a lot. Run the ball to set up play action, run the ball to bring the safeties up to the line and open up the passing lanes, run the ball to setup screens against overly aggressive D. I personally don't think between the tackle running is broken, just be happy with 5/6 yard runs each time.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Slywalker13 posted:

Pocket QBs aren't so bad, with good THA they can make some absurd passes. I tend to prefer "balanced" guys so I can still run the zone read but even with nimble guys I almost never leave the pocket. I'm stuck with a legless QB as well for the next two years but his arm makes up for it. Key is route combinations and presnap reads. Make sure you have at least one route that beats man and one that beats zone each play. Watch the LBs to see the D called, account for the safeties and find your guy. Oh and run the ball, a lot. Run the ball to set up play action, run the ball to bring the safeties up to the line and open up the passing lanes, run the ball to setup screens against overly aggressive D. I personally don't think between the tackle running is broken, just be happy with 5/6 yard runs each time.

Yea, i actually had a decent game, went 20/28, but 4 ints hurt. I'm trying to put madden and NCAA in a vacuum, and some of the reads aren't transferring. i just miss my emergency blanket of a scramble for 6 yards, but I'll adjust.

The biggest thing for me is that my Madden defense doesn't translate due to differing engines; i really had a good game against Z but made some bad decisions in desperation and turned it over.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Week6!

User Matchups:
#2 Nebraska (myself) @ #9 Mich St (Dio)
#25 Wisconsin (dubious) @ Penn St (Wreckus)

CPU Games:
OSU
Michigan
USC

Byes:
UCLA

How does one have a recruit visit a CPU game and fall 450 pts? This game is full of poo poo sometimes.

Anyway, Dio I can go tonight or tomorrow at either 6 or 9 pm CT

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I can do tomorrow at 6pm ct

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Holding steady at #5 in the Heisman race..

God drat, that is loving nuts for a TE. I am definitely throwing to him a lot because, well poo poo, you can see - only 3 drops on 63 receptions.

I'll get my game in tonight. #6 Michigan @ #3 Virginia Tech.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Diodeous posted:

I can do tomorrow at 6pm ct

See you Wednesday

cletus42o posted:

Holding steady at #5 in the Heisman race..

God drat, that is loving nuts for a TE. I am definitely throwing to him a lot because, well poo poo, you can see - only 3 drops on 63 receptions.

I'll get my game in tonight. #6 Michigan @ #3 Virginia Tech.

What are his attributes? I SOOO would like to play you in the regular season.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Did my HB nudge into the Heisman at all? EMU couldn't stop him at all so he ended up with like 480 yards and 7TDs on 22 carries

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

John Brown posted:

His main attributes are (for receiving):

91 OVR

86 SPD
87 ACC

93 Catching
95 Catch in Traffic
89 Route Running
88 Spectacular Catch
79 Release

He's a Junior (R), so hopefully I'll be able to keep him for one more season, but in real life I doubt that would happen.

Diodeous posted:

Did my HB nudge into the Heisman at all? EMU couldn't stop him at all so he ended up with like 480 yards and 7TDs on 22 carries
I don't think so, but I'm getting a "500 Internal Server Error" trying to look at the list now - so he may have. He did get offensive player of the week though for sure, I saw that earlier hoping that Butt had gotten it again.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus you guys are good at running it up on the CPU; I can drop 70 burgers in Madden but can barely sniff 50 against the CPU in NCAA

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

John Brown posted:

I'd be curious too. CPU controlled defenders don't do much against him even when double teamed and keyed in on him so a user controlled safety could wreck some havoc.

Dubious posted:

Jesus you guys are good at running it up on the CPU; I can drop 70 burgers in Madden but can barely sniff 50 against the CPU in NCAA

Lots of hurry up is all that I can fathom. I'm happy to hit 50 in a game.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Dubious posted:

I run up the score but usually no one person on my team dominates - I've never won the Heisman. However, I have won multiple awards as I don't focus on just one player. And doing so allows my backups to get playing time, and they'll subsequently be less likely to leave in the offseason.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Slywalker13 posted:

I've actually gotten good enough on Defense that I can shut down the CPU now, so I get a ton of possessions and dont have to run hurry up anymore. (Less injuries woooo!)

Heisman Watch
Ty Isaac
Ahmad Smith
Nick Thompkins
Terrell Newby
Richard Butt

John Brown posted:

I run up the score but usually no one person on my team dominates - I've never won the Heisman. However, I have won multiple awards as I don't focus on just one player. And doing so allows my backups to get playing time, and they'll subsequently be less likely to leave in the offseason.

This is the way I try to run things as well. I've only won the Heisman once and dont get many awards at all.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Slywalker13 posted:

I've been mass subbing against the CPU in the 2nd half for most of my blow-out games. Butt could have definitely gotten way more than 3 TDs against Ball State if I had kept him in.

Last season I think my first game was against (possibly #1, but definitely top 5) CPU Alabama. I only won that game by going for a 2pt to win the game by 1 point in the 4th quarter with no time left. (played it early morning before work and didn't have time to go into OT) So the CPU games are not always gimmes. I haven't had a restart this season at all (not sure if I did last season either), but there are definitely games where you can feel that the CPU has all the momentum and it's hard to get it back.

JB, do the backups get any benefit by playing them, outside of the playing time and its effect on them not wanting to transfer? Do attributes improve during a season at all?

edit - Wow, I was just looking at stats across user teams. My backup QB has gone 9/9 for 147 yards and 2 TD. His throwing accuracy is loving 97! And he's a red-shirted sophomore!

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 18, 2014

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I wasn't even trying to run it up against EMU, they threw 7 ints and my RB broke off like 7 runs of 40 yrds or more, so it was strangely easy sledding

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

If you played back ups consistently they would absolutely see stats increases over the course of the season. I usually don't just because it can make all kinds of weird substitutions based on your depth chart that get wacky (weird stuff like DEs playing Oline because :iiam: ), also because any shot at winning an award for your guys depends on key individual stats. Taking them out basically assures you won't have enough to garner the attention needed.

That said, I've won the Heisman twice and both times it was basically about scoring the most TDs with the most total yards per game. Outside of that I don't really understand how it chooses awards.

Hurry up is totally required to break 50+ points in a game, also multiple turnovers. The only time I've gotten close to triple digits the other team had like 20 yards of offense 6 or 7 turnovers and basically went 3 and out from a hurry up every possession. If I get to 45-55 points against the CPU that's good enough imo.

I got plenty in the tank of this team to win some games hopefully contend for titles, maybe I'll get to see UCLA again in the title game. It's not my VT squad, but I like what I've got this season. Only getting 10 points against UCLA could sting later though.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 18, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I've never won the Heisman, but I have won the Mackey, Best LB, Thorpe, and Bilentikoff awards even with subbing in my backups.

E: I'm trying something new with this defense - using the 4-3 against the CPU, and the 3-4 against users. Some of you who have really good run defenses play the 3-4 so I want to see what it can do for me. This is probably the deepest defense I've had yet so I have a lot of versatility.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

I've never won the Heisman, but I have won the Mackey, Best LB, Thorpe, and Bilentikoff awards even with subbing in my backups.

E: I'm trying something new with this defense - using the 4-3 against the CPU, and the 3-4 against users. Some of you who have really good run defenses play the 3-4 so I want to see what it can do for me. This is probably the deepest defense I've had yet so I have a lot of versatility.

The defensive ones seem to matter less, like I said that's the metric for the Heisman I honestly don't really get how the other awards figure it out. Like the Outland and Rimmington? Guys win that with almost no "stats". I am also now considering if program reputation has anything to do with it...

The 3-4 can be destructive to outside running games, so I've taken to using it when folks want to run a lot of counters at me since it tends to setup LBs out wider to not get moved inside. Still on the 4-3 base wagon because it provides the only nickel formation with 4 down linemen, but my D playbook at this point has a little of everything minus the 5-2 which I played with but ultimately was more comfortable with the limited 4-4 plays. I simply live and D by my front 4 and I basically refuse to put only 3 guys out there given my depth on most teams those spots.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 18, 2014

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
3 down linemen is the only way to play. :colbert:

I've dropped 100 once, and it was without turnovers. WSU likes to air it out and neither of our D showed up so it was lots of TDs with probably an average of 4 plays per drive.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

The defensive ones seem to matter less, like I said that's the metric for the Heisman I honestly don't really get how the other awards figure it out. Like the Outland and Rimmington? Guys win that with almost no "stats". I am also now considering if program reputation has anything to do with it...

The 3-4 can be destructive to outside running games, so I've taken to using it when folks want to run a lot of counters at me since it tends to setup LBs out wider to not get moved inside. Still on the 4-3 base wagon because it provides the only nickel formation with 4 down linemen, but my D playbook at this point has a little of everything minus the 5-2 which I played with but ultimately was more comfortable with the limited 4-4 plays. I simply live and D by my front 4 and I basically refuse to put only 3 guys out there given my depth on most teams those spots.

4-3 over defense > all. Nickle Strong (Big Nickle) is also really good if you have a Strong Safety with some speed/range and a really good backup who can take his spot.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
#6 Michigan just dominates the hell out of #3 Virginia Tech, 62-7.

So that was one hell of a blow-out - VT had 4 fumbles lost and 4 interceptions, and one of those was a pick 6. One of the fumbles was a muffed punt return.

Dick Butt for Heisman!

@ #3 VT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vLCjc7Pbpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSijO6yZm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgwINTGtaY

All 3 of his TDs were in the 1st quarter. Dude just gets open like nobody's business. I think the 2nd video there, just a simple play action pass, but he got so wide open I couldn't believe it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wreckus, tomorrow?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

AfterFather posted:

4-3 over defense > all. Nickle Strong (Big Nickle) is also really good if you have a Strong Safety with some speed/range and a really good backup who can take his spot.

I love the strong nickel. They really removed a lot from it a few years ago, but it still has a few plays I love running.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Assuming you got held up, buddy. I can't really start any later than this tonight, so we can try again another night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Diodeous posted:

Assuming you got held up, buddy. I can't really start any later than this tonight, so we can try again another night.

I just walked in the door and turned on my Xbox, but to be honest I did forget anyway. I can still go now or we can do tomorrow. Sorry.

• Locked thread