Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Today I got a PM:

quote:

Hi, I saw some of your train posts about british trains that were crap, and i was wondering, if you were to buy a little model train for the mantelpiece, which would be your top 3 choices of train for that?

Some dude wants me to name my three favourite trains, and tell him, and only him? gently caress. If I'm going to choose my three favourite trains, I'm telling all y'all. For those of you wanting to find my crap train posts, they are here and some more are here.

But those are lovely trains. These are loving awesome trains:

The 3TE-10:ussr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH6TgfseK_4

I've always had a love for the glorious industrial gothic of Soviet design. Soviet engineering gave no fucks. Clean engines? For pussies. Sleek design? Only for bourgeois capitalist pigdogs. Quiet running? gently caress you, sleep is for the decadent, get your rear end in that tractor factory. The 3TE-10 is a brutalist train. Its 3 units each house a 3000Hp opposed-piston diesel engine, based on the Fairbanks-Morse units installed in warships leased to the USSR in WWII. The 3TE-10 literally has three battleship engines in it. It spews smoke, it makes an unbelievable amount of noise, and it delivers 9000Hp of very Soviet haulage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEETEOcQW90

BR Class 55 "Deltic":britain:

Like the 3TE-10, the Deltic was powered by opposed-piston engines, but instead of the battleship units in the Soviet train, the Napier Deltic engines in this beast were adapted from those found in submarines. Smooth. Stealthy. Deadly.

When the Deltics were introduced in 1961, they were the most powerful diesel locomotives in the world, their 3300Hp outstripping the previous holders, the ridiculous Baldwin "Centipedes" that themselves were essentially unsuccessful prototypes. The Deltic was a production locomotive introduced to replace the mighty A4 Pacifics (including the world steam speed record holder, "Mallard" on the East Coast Main Line from King's Cross to Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh. And they loving owned that line, hauling long, heavy expresses in times that smashed every record even the A4s could set. The Deltic was so far ahead of its time that no locomotive with more engine horsepower ran in Britain until 2010.

They were displaced from the ECML in the early 1980s by High Speed Trains, and some very grey British Rail accountants decided that they were too expensive to run elsewhere (the complex Napier engines needed a lot of maintenance), and they retired.

Except the Deltics weren't done yet.

Following the privatisation of Britain's railways in the 1990s, "preserved" Deltics started appearing not just on enthusiast specials, but also on regular services, usually when the booked locomotive wasn't available. And more often than not, the Deltic would smash whatever time was expected of the loco it replaced. In 2011, GBRF, facing a shortage of locomotives, literally pulled a 50-year-old Deltic out of a museum and put it to work hauling aluminium trains. And in 2013, a Deltic again appeared, this time moving electric units around for commissioning and servicing in the Glasgow area. Here it is doing that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O4IdRWnL1k

Deltics won't die. Not ever.

The Pennsylvania RailRoad S1:911:

Just loving look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
One that works well enough to stay together long enough to pull me into the yard and, if applicable, has a clean shitter. That's all that matters to me.

Unfortunately, not one piece of equipment in my employer's fleet meets that criteria.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite train is the one I ran on OP's mom.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Some more favourites:

Something old

Something new

something completely different

I love how the US version of the jet train looks more Soviet than the Soviet one.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Axeman Jim posted:

Hi, I saw some of your train posts about british trains that were crap, and i was wondering, if you were to buy a little model train for the mantelpiece, which would be your top 3 choices of train for that?

beato posted:

Some more favourites:

Something old

Some loving nerds up in this thread.....

...:ssh: I love you all.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Safety Box
Dec 6, 2004
All I can think about is coffee...
Pork Pro

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

I was both disappointed and fascinated to find out that this isn't a real train.

I'm guessing a lot of people will know it's from the 1979 show Supertrain but if, like me, you didn't there's a very informative late-90s era website about it here: http://nbc_supertrain.tripod.com/index.html

Bonus derail image:

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

Pound_Coin posted:

Some loving nerds up in this thread.....

...:ssh: I love you all.

I have both of those. :hfive:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Galsia posted:

I have both of those. :hfive:

My dad was having loft insulation put in recently to save money on heating bills, asked me if I wanted to salvage any of my old stuff stored up there. Imagine my joy when these and a huge box of scalextric showed up, I hadn't seen them in 15+ years.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Pound_Coin posted:

My dad was having loft insulation put in recently to save money on heating bills, asked me if I wanted to salvage any of my old stuff stored up there. Imagine my joy when these and a huge box of scalextric showed up, I hadn't seen them in 15+ years.

I had an Intercity 225 I wanted that Scotsman more than anything though.

Also do we need a PYF Scalextric thread?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
We were going through some things in my in-laws basement in came across a TON of model train equipment.

How do we get any idea of an accurate valuation of everything? Everything is currently in Milwaukee, does anyone know someone in the area that could do an appraisal?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Yessss, Mallard! :neckbeard: I saw it in the National Rail Museum in York and it was beautiful. It still holds the record for the fastest steam locomotive.
That museum is a great day out, they have a bunch of cool trains, including Ellerman Lines, which has been cut open and the inside painted as a display to show how the machinery works.

I like this one in their collection, a Chinese train built in the UK. It's light but enormous, because in China, the tunnels are much wider, but the weight limit is lower than in the UK. The picture doesn't show it, it's over 15ft tall and 93ft long, it's huge.

This train isn't that cool as a train, but it brought Lenin all the way back home to lead the revolution. :) I'd love to see it in real life sometime, it's still in Finland Station in St. Petersburg.

Also if it counts, James and Gordon from Thomas the Tank Engine. James was a cheeky wee shite and Gordon was super grumpy so they always wound each other up and it was funny as hell when I was a toddler.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

N700 Series, with a maximum speed of 300 km/h :japan:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

:spergin:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Autism honeypot thread

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I love the Electro-Motive GP30. I don't really know why. Shame EMD is just a shadow of its former self now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

:colbert:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One of these days, I need to ride the Coast Starlight all the way to Seattle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

There's a set of train tracks near where I live, and about a year or two ago, they replaced the concrete ties with wood ties. Anybody have any ideas why? I'd think concrete would be stronger and last much longer than wood.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

blunt for century posted:

There's a set of train tracks near where I live, and about a year or two ago, they replaced the concrete ties with wood ties. Anybody have any ideas why? I'd think concrete would be stronger and last much longer than wood.

Just a guess, but wood probably lasts half as long but for a quarter of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Obvious answer:

Actual answer:

I keep a Wren A4 Pacific on my shelf (my girlfriend's books... not mine)

• Locked thread