Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

It's so nice for them to warn everyone that they might bust down your door at any time, how thoughtful of them! Perhaps they can start a terror raid warning service? You could combine it with the weather report!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

So, is this just another farce, or is it the beginning of an ethnic cleansing?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The best part is that she can't even get the #QAndA hash tag right.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kommando posted:

Brisgoons

G20 Aftermath Goonmeet.

The weekend after, we assemble at the side of the wreckage of brisbane society and drink to forget.

All in favor say Aye.

Count me and Crazy in.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:sigh:

The Guardian posted:

Tensions continue to escalate on Australia’s offshore island detention centres, with a further series of assaults on refugees on Nauru and rising disquiet on Manus Island reported by sources.

On the Pacific island of Nauru, an Iranian refugee was stoned and then beaten by a group of local men riding motorcycles on Saturday. They threw rocks and swore at him before beating him and kicking him in the head.

Guardian Australia has seen photos of the man in hospital with one eye swollen shut by bruising and swelling on his head.

On Monday, a resettled refugee who had a job as carpenter on Nauru, was threatened by three local men who told him refugees were not allowed to work. He was told to quit his job or he would be killed next time he went to work. He has quit his job.

Other men have reported having cars swerve at them and being spat on in the street.

These attacks follow an assault last week on four teenage refugees, who are without parents on the island. One of the child refugees was taken to hospital. The four boys have not left their home unaccompanied since the attack.

“ ‘gently caress you, refugee’ is very common slogan these days in Nauru,” one refugee told Guardian Australia.

“The locals spit on refugees in public. They believe that there is not enough space in Nauru for the refugees and locals to live together. They think the refugees are taking the job opportunities and consuming all the resources in Nauru and they want to protect their country.”

Reports that an interpreter from Myanmar had been stabbed on Manus Island on Friday are “completely false”, according to the office of the immigration minister, Scott Morrison.

But Guardian Australia understands from sources on Manus that there have been several confrontations with guards and local contractors over the past month, increased cases of self-harm attempts by detainees, and more assaults by detainees on other detainees.

Each month, several men are choosing to be returned home rather than stay on the island. Several of those choosing to go home have been found by Australia to be refugees and face a “well-founded fear of persecution” if they go home.

One Manus worker told Guardian Australia: “The men say, ‘I am dying here on this island, I might as well go home and die in my own country. I will take the risk.’ And sometimes it is an extreme risk that they will be killed at home.”

“These men have been in detention for 15 months, many of them, they live behind huge fences and they are no closer to a resolution. They are constantly told, ‘Stay here forever, or go home.’

“It’s advertised on signs all over the camps: ‘Missing your family? Talk to IOM (International Organisation for Migration).’ These men despair, they are desperate and, eventually, they just give up and go home, even if they know it’s not safe.”

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kommando posted:

Brisgoons

G20 Aftermath Goonmeet.

The weekend after, we assemble at the side of the wreckage of brisbane society and drink to forget.

All in favor say Aye.

I think they Ayes have it.

Motion carried.

Would the motion be committed to record that on the 22nd of November at least 9 goons will be in attendance at Sukachi at 108 Albert Street from 1900-2100hrs approximately and will be eating chicken and lamenting the death of Australia.

Unlock the doors.

Anidav, the goon charity, gets a free meal and drink for November.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I can't wait for the inevitable royal commission into all this poo poo.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ignorant idiot here, how does a royal commission get the go-ahead? Would it need the party in power to agree, or a majority vote in both houses? Could the Liberals and Labor just not have one because they don't want to be implicated for a couple of years/decades?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Australia's treatment of refugees is like watching a crippled, starving man beg for scraps at the table of a group of obese men, their table filled with every food imaginable. To watch the men get up from their chairs and slowly beat and torture the cripple to death, grins on their faces and grease on their chins. To hear their booming laughter and the man's screams.

Nothing less than that.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

d3rt posted:

Ignorant idiot here, how does a royal commission get the go-ahead? Would it need the party in power to agree, or a majority vote in both houses?

Royal Commissions,at the Federal level are created by the head of state (i.e. the Governor-General) on advice from the Commonwealth Government. No Labor or Liberal government in their right mind would do this, seeing as they both share the blame for the mess. Our best chance for a Royal Commission is if either Labor gets their act together and is willing to admit they royally hosed up (literally), or if Greens form government.

e: we've got a higher chance of an ICC investigation than a Royal Commission, tbh.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 4, 2014

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
What's to stop the Governor-General from creating a Royal Commission without being requested by the current government? Are there laws in place or is it more a convention type thing?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

thatfatkid posted:

What's to stop the Governor-General from creating a Royal Commission without being requested by the current government? Are there laws in place or is it more a convention type thing?

Well may we say Albo save the queen. Because nothing will save the Governor-General (from Tones).

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

thatfatkid posted:

s1(a) of the Royal Commissions Act 1902:

quote:

Without in any way prejudicing, limiting, or derogating from the power of the King, or of the Governor-General, to make or authorise any inquiry, or to issue any commission to make any inquiry, it is hereby enacted and declared that the Governor-General may, by Letters Patent in the name of the King, issue such commissions, directed to such person or persons, as he or she thinks fit, requiring or authorising him or her or them or any of them to make inquiry into and report upon any matter specified in the Letters Patent, and which relates to or is connected with the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth, or any public purpose or any power of the Commonwealth.

Technically the G-G or Queen can create a Royal Commission of his or her own volition (see "as he or she thinks fit"), but it'd be very odd to do this without the consent of the Government.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
GG's act on the advice of the government. The day they start acting on their own volition would see them dismissed or us becoming a republic very quickly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mithranderp posted:

Technically the G-G or Queen can create a Royal Commission of his or her own volition (see "as he or she thinks fit"), but it'd be very odd to do this without the consent of the Government.

Best Whitlam postmortem tribute ever?

Nibbles! posted:

GG's act on the advice of the government. The day they start acting on their own volition would see them dismissed or us becoming a republic very quickly.

They sometime act on the advice of the opposition. There is precedent.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

A G-G that thinks for themselves?

Not Sir Peter Cosgrove.

He wont bite the hand that appointed him.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Nibbles! posted:

An independent GG actually doing their job and overseeing the Australian government doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thatfatkid posted:

An independent GG actually doing their job and overseeing the Australian government doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

It sounds like a recipe for a constitutional crisis to me.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

thatfatkid posted:

The problem is, they are an unelected ceremonial Head of State, and running around doing things "for the greater good" would be all well and good, but it's not democracy.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It sounds like a recipe for a constitutional crisis to me.

The keyword being independent.

Mithranderp posted:

The problem is, they are an unelected ceremonial Head of State, and running around doing things "for the greater good" would be all well and good, but it's not democracy.

Yeah and?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

thatfatkid posted:

Yeah and?

The chances of having an independent GG are nil. They are appointed and dismissed by the Government of the time.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

thatfatkid posted:

Yeah and?

I don't think you understand how this system works. The current GG would never do anything you're suggesting, nor would any other GG likely even consider the course of action. They are purely a ceremonial role that is appointed by the goverment. Think about that before your next reply.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Kommando posted:

Brisgoons

G20 Aftermath Goonmeet.

All in favor say Aye.

What date is this?

E; oh, 22nd. Won't be there for that

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Murodese posted:

What date is this?

November 22

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

There's no keyword that stops it degenerating into a game of who can sack who the fastest.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

CrazyTolradi posted:

I don't think you understand how this system works. The current GG would never do anything you're suggesting, nor would any other GG likely even consider the course of action. They are purely a ceremonial role that is appointed by the goverment. Think about that before your next reply.

Yes i'm aware that the role of GG now is to rubberstamp whatever the current government wants. However they still do have real power, they just simply choose not to use it as it would be career suicide. What i was getting at is that maybe they should use their powers for the benefit of the nation i.e. creating a Royal Commission of their own volition into the handling of asylum seekers arriving by boat, as as it stands now neither the ALP or LNP will ever request such a thing as they would both be pretty hosed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

thatfatkid posted:

Yes i'm aware that the role of GG now is to rubberstamp whatever the current government wants. However they still do have real power, they just simply choose not to use it as it would be career suicide. What i was getting at is that maybe they should use their powers for the benefit of the nation i.e. creating a Royal Commission of their own volition into the handling of asylum seekers arriving by boat, as as it stands now neither the ALP or LNP will ever request such a thing as they would both be pretty hosed.

And maybe society should focus on things more important than the simple amassing of financial wealth and try to better quality of life on this planet, but what I have suggested and you have suggested have about equal chance of happening. HTH

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mithranderp posted:

Yeah, democracy is the torture, refouling and effective murder of refugees! It's what the people want! :dance: :haw: :dance:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The "real power" the GG has is poorly defined and largely untested. Using it for a politically-charged action that isn't an emergency would be taking the country into uncharted waters and there's absolutely no guarantee that what they tried to do would stick. It would be a constitutional clusterfuck.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'm on my phone or i'd link but if you look up "Australian constitutional conventions" wiki should have a rundown on how it works. Basically GG's have massive power per the constitution however convention is that they act on the government as they are the elected officials.

So while they have power if they act outside of convention they'd be dismissed and if it was enough of an issue we'd be changing the constitution.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Essential tracks how the worm turns....

quote:

Sixty three per cent of voters believe that severe bushfires and extreme weather events like floods and cyclones will increase in coming years, while 33% believe they will remain at around the same level. Just 1% believe they will reduce in frequency. Even Coalition voters, traditionally reluctant to accept climate change, agree: 49% of Coalition voters say extreme weather events will increase in coming years compared to 47% who believe they will stay at around the same level. Women are also more likely to say they are increasing than men, 68% to 56%. Moreover, 57% of voters believe the increasing frequency of extreme weather is linked to climate change, compared to 27% who don't believe there's any connection. This includes 43% of Coalition voters who believe there's a connection, compared to 42% who don't think there's a connection. Sixty eight per cent of Labor voters believe there's a connection, and 88% of Greens voters.

Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb are starting a podcast. Sales can sing and play piano. Be very afraid.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, democracy is the torture, refouling and effective murder of refugees! It's what the people want! :dance: :haw: :dance:

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. You have in no way misrepresented my point.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So the alternative is to hand power over to the unelected representative of a person who came out of the correct vagina?

I mean, yeah, in this situation it might turn out to accomplish something we're happy about. Maybe. Assuming the GG even wants to step in with a Royal Commission. And in return, all we have to do is go back to effective monarchy.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Monarchs are, after all, known for caring about the rights of oppressed minorities

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This Thursday I appear to be going to the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Spring Hill to fill in paperwork. Despite this they're still calling it a job trial but otherwise this one looks good. I'm pretty sure doing paperwork before a job trial starts is a good sign. yep yep yep.

I should be fine on the 22nd also to watch Attack Dogs search every car.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Quantum Mechanic posted:

So the alternative is to hand power over to the unelected representative of a person who came out of the correct vagina?

I mean, yeah, in this situation it might turn out to accomplish something we're happy about. Maybe. Assuming the GG even wants to step in with a Royal Commission. And in return, all we have to do is go back to effective monarchy.

I was simply saying that the current treatment of refugees is something that the vast majority of the Australian public is content with and we can see that from the broad support that the Labor and Liberal parties enjoy. If one approves of the Australian model of government then surely one must approve of what results from it, yes?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This isn't as ironic as we'd all hope.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

BREAKING: Unconfirmed reports Admire Rakti has collapsed and died in his stall after finishing last.

Another race, another dead horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was simply saying that the current treatment of refugees is something that the vast majority of the Australian public is content with and we can see that from the broad support that the Labor and Liberal parties enjoy. If one approves of the Australian model of government then surely one must approve of what results from it, yes?

That's pretty much the rational. Rather then place restrictions on what the government can do, eg bill of rights, the solution is supposed to be political.

• Locked thread