Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I, Butthole posted:

Man, the army doing Black Hawk drills over suburban areas at 2AM on Friday night in preparation for G20 is certainly not a part of the fear mongering machine!

It's been loving crazy in Toowong, with flyovers every couple of hours. Be warned citizens, Can-do has his eye on you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Les Affaires posted:

Some formula based on the amount of sugar/salt/calories per gram would do it.

Taxing calories is a stupid idea, taxation would only be passed on to the consumer and as high tax on cigarettes and alcohol shows, does nothing to deter them from consuming such items. It would be basically just a poor tax, because poor people tend to only be able to afford items that are high in calories/sugar/fat because that's what is cheap. Decent and healthy food is more expensive to buy which is something we should address first. Sugar content in food is something else that needs to be addressed, but not by taxation.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Les Affaires posted:

Cigarette usage in Perth has almost been eliminated.

Evidence? Seriously, I'm not joking, you can't make that huge a claim and not have anything to back that up. You might think it's been eliminated, you might not know anyone who smokes, but you can bet your backside cigarette sales are still a thing in Perth. Cigarettes are treated as loving gold by supermarket chains, because it's an item they know will keep selling.

EDIT: And as to impact in cigarette sales, taxation did nothing. Plain packaging and not being able to display cigarette/tobacco goods has done far more to impact on sales than taxation ever did. Why do you think big tobacco cried blue murder when Labor passed plain packaging and fought it as far as they possible could (and still are, I think?). Also, E-cigs have become a big thing and obviously are taking cigarette market share.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 3, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

The keyword being independent.

Yeah and?

I don't think you understand how this system works. The current GG would never do anything you're suggesting, nor would any other GG likely even consider the course of action. They are purely a ceremonial role that is appointed by the goverment. Think about that before your next reply.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

Yes i'm aware that the role of GG now is to rubberstamp whatever the current government wants. However they still do have real power, they just simply choose not to use it as it would be career suicide. What i was getting at is that maybe they should use their powers for the benefit of the nation i.e. creating a Royal Commission of their own volition into the handling of asylum seekers arriving by boat, as as it stands now neither the ALP or LNP will ever request such a thing as they would both be pretty hosed.

And maybe society should focus on things more important than the simple amassing of financial wealth and try to better quality of life on this planet, but what I have suggested and you have suggested have about equal chance of happening. HTH

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If one approves of the Australian model of government then surely one must approve of what results from it, yes?

Should we go back to having a Governor with complete powers, appointed by the Queen? Maybe we could set up our own monarchy, like that group out at Hutt River? We could even try having a military despot ruler, maybe that will be better? Or we could all go an-cap/liberatarian and abolish the state, clearly the free market would decide that treating refugees would be our best course of action, surely?

EDIT: Maybe theocracy might be better, I'm sure that has never turned out horribly bad at all in history.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Reading that, I couldn't help but think that it was a total waste of time and money for everyone involved to send a $200 debt to a collector. The debt collector probably purchased the debt for under $100, and the cost of recovery would be more than anything they could potentially hope to recover.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Flannelette posted:

On the other hand you'd have to be pretty dumb to have any intention of repaying your hecs at this point.

Which only further feeds the brain drain Australia has, seeing that it's hard enough for a lot of graduates to find work locally, tied in with larger HECS debt, getting work overseas is a great deal more attractive.

What I'm really curious is the rate of unpaid HECS that is due to mature age students (i.e 50-55+), not just current/recent years, but going forward this will probably pick up as the government is now forcing 55-59 year olds to actually look for work and take part in mutual obligation activities (or whatever they call it now). I suppose HECS debt wouldn't be a major worry if you're going to be able to go on the pension when you graduate or the time allowed for AUSTUDY expires.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

Maybe this is why they are pulling out the stops to get it off the younger graduates.

I guess that is pretty much what I was alluding to there. I mean, we're talking about a group of people who could have had free uni education in their youth, decided "Nah, waste of time for a bit of paper, mate" and now go back, acquire a HECS debt with no real chance of it ever being paid back (maybe in part, but certainly not in full). Now, my point isn't that we should deny them this at all, but that as you've stated, the Federal government will now look more closely at recouping HECS debt from those it percieves as being able to "cough up" more.

A lot of argument for boomers to be able to "retire" on Newstart, and likely one that would be applied to the HECS debt situation for mature age students of that age group, is that "they've done their work, paid their taxes". The flaw in this argument is that boomers enjoyed a lower income tax rate during their heyday than we have today, didn't have GST and had proportionally higher wages in regards to cost of living at the time (I'm not even going to go into the cost of housing vs. income). It's far more arguable that the youth of today will pay far more tax, not just in terms of pure dollars but also as a proportion of income. Applying the same logic people use with boomers, then, does that mean that those in their youth now should enjoy the ability to "retire" early and feel guilt free if they decide to go back to uni late in life and generate more HECS debt that will likely be a write off?

EDIT: Also, for those who think racehorses are rockstars: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-05/melbourne-cup-admire-rakti-why-horses-are-put-down-after-injury/5867374

Yeah mate, it's all fun and games until you break a leg. Then it's the green dream for you.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Kat Delacour posted:

At least it's not in the exciting fields of being abused and/or exploited. Keep applying for other jobs though, it's like that episode of Seinfeld with the wedding ring, there are so many more opportunities when you've already got a job and don't desperately need the opportunity.

Have to second this, it's a lot easier to get a (new) job when you already have one. You're basically seen as being more employable if you're currently employed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Haters Objector posted:

3 days is quick turnaround on a "what should my opinion be?" focus group

I have a magic 8-ball he can consult that takes mere seconds to help you form an opinion.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Government job or organised crime?

That's what they really mean by "termination with no notice".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Kommando posted:

I spoke to a bike cop on friday and asked him about lane filtering and lane splitting in QLD, he said it was presently illegal, but thats changing soon.

Those On My Left posted:

I don't think this is right. The Road Rules were indeed a national scheme but they are implemented state by state and each state can put in their own variations. For example, in Victoria we don't have a special rule for speed limits in school zones, because we just do this by regular speed signs. Similarly, we also have our own special rules for buses at level crossings. I don't think there's any hard legal limit on the States changing their own road rules.

This is pretty much it, QLD is making it legal for motorcyclists to filter through stationary traffic and I think might be relaxing helmet laws, neither of which really affect me since I just walk/public transport. But yeah, states aren't locked into some kind of standard otherwise we'd all have to hook turn.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The teal robes tell you who to avoid and not hang out with. It's a secret code that was agreed on before Abbott and Harper arrived.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The Greens are basically the only party that listens to scientific evidence and reason and isn't all about loving over the poors and environment to make a short term gain. Just tell Young Labor that they're merely Another Liberal Party.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't people always mentioning in this thread that there's something particular to QLD Greens that makes them unappealing? I can't remember peoples' complaints but I remember it coming up more than once.

Apparently QLD Greens have a number of anti-vax types that make things unpleasant.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

So anti-vaxxer or the ALP. I should just choose none and call it quits.

None is the better option available to you, yes.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I had to go to an exam today for Uni, so travelling from Toowong to Griffith Nathan campus, I wasn't sure what to expect. TBH nothing happened at all, I just saw a poo poo ton of police in numbers the like of which I have never seen before. Since my exam today is the last thing I need to leave my home/general area for, I'm going to spend the next 6 days hiding in my room and doing SFA.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Yeah, for a 21st century city it's going to look pretty loving empty. I'm sure the leaders of the G20 will be really impressed, not to mention the retail sector.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Nibbles! posted:

So will operation Sovereign Borders extend to the Russian navy?

I wonder how well that'd go down, it's not like those boats are half sinking.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Nibbles! posted:

I imagine these days there's a large number that don't bother coming to campus and catch up online.

Lecture captures are amazing things and don't require you to get up for 8am lectures.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Since starting a new degree this year, I lucked out big time with my group assignment this semester and got a group of people who are all fluent in English. I'm pretty sure for first year International students, Griffith does have a compulsary course for them to take in the first semester.

I find it hilarious when lecturers do the whole "In the real world...." thing, because it's total crap. If you're part of a team and someone isn't doing any work, they either get moved away or fired. And generally, you're not going to be working with someone who only communicates in another language. Being able to communicate with your team mates is a vital skill in any working environment. Academics say the darndest things.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Most students fresh out of high school are horrible writers, including this young girl in one of my classes who said that calcium comes from "Health shops" with a completely serious face.

Anidav: About your Facebook, you're likely being watched by a bunch of young liberal shitheads who report people for anything "suspicious" (so sedition or anything like that). We're hitting Nightwatch from Babylon 5 levels now.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 13, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Laserface posted:

Why dont Jews have Kosher certified foods? or why isnt its presence as strong as Halal Certified foods?

https://www.kosher.org.au/

HTH

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

Says Anidav, member of the Queensland labor party because "there are no other options"

The issue is that the QLD greens are basically extremist anti-vax, anti-GMO and tend to tinfoil conspiracy theories. The best option is clearly "None".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Comstar posted:

Looks like we'll all need VPN's to access this thread soon. Online piracy websites set to be blocked: sources.

I have full confidence that innocent and not so innocent 3rd parties will be hit by this.

What technologies are they using to put such a block in place? If it's just DNS redirecting, wouldn't you be able to use Google's DNS hosts instead to get around it?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Cue a bunch of articles from writers at the IPA saying what a bad idea regulating copyright enforcement and that the government should just allow market forces to correct it. Oddly enough it's one of the few things they are ever on the ball with.

EDIT: also the timing of these changes just before the new GoT season could not possibly be a coincidence at all, could it?

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 17, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

There are few people in this government less diplomatic than Tony Abbott, Joe Hockey is one of them. He's on par with Morrison in the least likeable catagory and easily a front runner for least diplomatic.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Les Affaires posted:

What's more though, this stupid behaviour reflects the new age of politicians who have only delved into politics when gunning for the top job. Past politicians in this country were quite happy to stay as a minister and to stick to their portfolio while making a difference, but I think a combination of factors has meant more of them have this driving ambition to get to the top, regardless of how suited they actually are.

You're spot on with that assessment, there seems to be this constant earning for glory and power in politicians in the last few decades at least (or at least that I'm aware of, I'm only in my 30's). The willingness to throw everything to the wind and everyone else be damned attitude that is in politics, on all levels, is at crazy levels. The amount of times we've had ministers come out and announce things, only to have Tones come out and "correct" the misunderstanding is ridiculous.

I'm of the opinion (and could be entirely off in this) that this all starts in Uni politics, where Young Labor and Young Liberals will do whatever it takes to win, at the cost of the students they're meant to represent. There's so little focus on what student councils can do to better student life at university, it's now all just on the politics.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

What do you mean "just before"? It's not due until April.

I read that it was due to be tabled in December?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Quantum Mechanic posted:

IT'S HAPPENING

unironically hope she recruits Jacqui Lambie

I just had to check it wasn't April when I read that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

hot carling academy posted:

It's been like that for ages, surprising what a lack of funding and staff can do. For most it'd be quicker to physically go in to your nearest office and wait there instead. Efficiency!

Ironically, this. It is far quicker to go into a Centrelink office and wait there. If they tell you to do it over the phone/on the net, tell them that you'd much prefer to deal with it in person. Also mention that there's a 900 minute (15 HOUR) waiting period on the phone and you don't have a computer because you sold it off for food.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Haha no, I've been waiting in this Centrelink office since 10am Brisbane time :suicide:

Which office is it? If it's Toowong that's crazy, I'm usually in and out in an hour the few times I've had to go in (namely applying for Austudy and submitting documents for the claim).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Is it because anyone who has ever met a Tory should know they are lying vermin fit only for death?

Also Pauline Hanson would provide a contrasting and compassionate voice compared to the bipartisan death cult that now holds sway.

ABC, 2011: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-22/abbott-defends-broken-promise/2805876 posted:

"But when a government goes to an election saying there will be no carbon tax and then decides a couple of months later that there must be a carbon tax, it has to seek a mandate from the people, otherwise the Australian public are entitled to feel totally ripped off," he said.

"There should be no tax collection without an election, and if this Prime Minister tries to sneak this bad tax based on a lie through a parliament with no mandate, the Australian public are going to feel very ripped off and angry.

"She knew exactly what she was doing and you can't make that kind of a categoric (sic) statement six days out from an election and then as soon as the election's over, to save your own skin, do the opposite.

"It's this lie which is destroying the government."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

i got banned posted:

exponential growth on a finite planet

Growth for the sake of growth is what cancer does, I'm sure it'll work out better for the planet than cancer does for a person.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Works pretty well for cancer though :shrug:

Until the person dies, sure.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

I had that happen to a friend at University, entirely their documented fault, but he still had to take a year off study to work and pay back the debt, which he did back in his country town home, not being able to find work that would let him stay in the city and pay back centrelink at the same time.

Except he ended up not paying it back, because he was killed when he lost control of his ute on the way home from work one evening. 10 years ago now, but I still blame them.

That's weird, because the legislation changed not that long ago so that if it was Centrelink's fault, you still had to pay it back. Before then you could appeal it and basically it was a case of too bad, so sad for Centrelink if they hosed it up. Odd though, because even when I had a debt with Centrelink overpaying me, they basically just took $15 a fortnight out of my pay (due to hardship, i.e I have bills) and they were happy with taking that until it was paid back. Mind you, that was in 2005 so I might be wrong now.

Anidav, seriously, check up on that Centrelink poo poo, knowing your luck it'll bite you in the arse.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 20, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

million dollar mack posted:

Mark Latham has decided that we've stopped talking about him being a spineless coward for too long, I guess.

http://www.afr.com/p/opinion/why_left_feminists_don_like_kids_zCbYWk9GxhdiLHnYdE3fsM

White male tells women to shut up and have more babies.

For me, this just another reason to support euthanasia, simply so that no one else need suffer from being Mark Latham ever again.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It's arguable the right doesn't trumpet it's successes because they're basically things that piss in the face of anyone who isn't a rich, old and white guy; for example, WorkChoices. Usually in an election campaign, as we saw in the previous Federal election (and likely to see at coming State elections), the LNP is too busy distancing itself from policies and measures of previous LNP governments, with promises such as no new WorkChoices, no cuts, etc.

Anidav, since you're getting gently caress all shifts from your employer now, will you be joining a union and if so will you be taking this employer to account for the dodgy poo poo they've done? If they're not giving you enough work, now is as good a time as any.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Ettin posted:

Why would police care that someone found a baby in the North Shore?

Because if you find a random baby left somewhere, the first thing you'd do is call the police? At least, I hope that's the first thing people would do.

• Locked thread