Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks loving beautiful to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Post more impressions of Rogue, drat it.
I just find it hilarious that the game that uses Black Flag's engine and just continues that story seems to be doing better than the actual flagship sequel to the franchise.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HaitianDivorce posted:

Shay starts off with facial hair like the hilarious beard you tried to grow in high school/the first year of college and drops it as soon as he goes full Templar. It would be funny if it was a sign of him growing up at all but I'm not really sure his reasons for turning against the Brotherhood are entirely sensible. He goes from causing an earthquake in Lisbon to accusing Achilles of ordering him to do it intentionally in about five in-game minutes, but surely he's had time on the trip back to cool off and reason it out that Achilles has literally nothing to gain from intentionally leveling a city.

Speaking of which, the earthquake in Lisbon looks fantastic, even if its only gameplay is "hold down the right trigger and push the joystick forward."

The renovation stuff from Brohood is back but this time it's in gorgeous eighteenth century Manhattan :swoon:. Same as in those games, it looks like it acts as a further money sink/maker for your ship, but it also requires metal and wood and other stuff you'd need to otherwise upgrade the Morrigan. Obviously by the end of the game I expect to be swimming in extra stuff but it might generate some interesting short-term trade-offs.

The supporting Assassin cast is very clearly there to all get murdered and I kinda roll my eyes every time any one of them comes on screen.

Modern day sections are a painful retread of Black Flag's so far without any Assassins to offer any sort of bright spot. Just like with the main campaign, it's hard not to feel like everything you're doing is making things worse in the ~meta-narrative.~

I've progressed to the point where I mentally replace any mention of the "First Civilization," "the Precursors" or "Those Who Came Before" with "Lizard People" and I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with the Templars and Assassins.

Sounds pretty cool then, I've all but stopped caring about the real world segments in the games.
I'm in it for the in animus stories and worlds.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kirios posted:

So I've heard Ubisoft hosed up pretty royally on Unity...can anyone here detail what are the major issues with the game?

All you have to do is read the past few pages or the review on this page. :effort:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good, hopefully this smacks some sense into them.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mustang posted:

Something from LA Beast thats somewhat related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeq1SHoIOXE

Well, that was certainly a video.
What an odd fellow.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Just beat Revelations and I honestly loved it.

Started the series from AssCreed2 about 3 months ago and it's been a hell of a ride, I'll miss Ezio's adventures but not really, I think I'll just miss him the most.
Loved his ending and I love Altair's ending, even if I did skip AC1... I felt I got enough of a gist from AC2 and Brotherhood to sympathize with him.

Constantinople was honestly beautiful and the hook blade was fun and made climbing everywhere a lot quicker, I barely used bombs except for like 2 notable situations and the tower defense stuff I did exactly one time when it was introduced.

Time for AC3, expectations are tempered so I'm going in not expecting anything amazing and a mostly boring protag.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BaconPigbutt posted:

I started playing AC3 today, but it`s so, so buggy. I only played until sequence 3, and there were already several missions where I had to reload more than once after the scripted stuff stop working, carriages going invisible middle cut-scene, rifles that don`t work, a total mess. Am I just the unluckiest guy in the planet or is this normal? :argh:

You're pretty unlucky, I'm about 3 hours in myself and haven't run into any bugs save for general dev laziness.(seeing npcs in farming attire tilling fields... when it's covered in snow, then again maybe I'm missing something about farming?)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, I'm something like 10 or 12 hours into Assassin's Creed 3 and I'm officially bored out of my skull.
I got a taste of a little bit of everything it has to offer and that's all I can stand now.

The world is big and beautiful, yes, but it's also big and empty and full of animals that initiate an annoying QTE or trees and cliff faces that halt your speedy climbing spree.
Crafting is boring and tries my patience, it's a cool idea but the requirements for everything are absurd and the fact that pelts and stuff get damaged if you go after the animals the quick and easy way thus resulting in useless pelts is moronic.
Combat is hit and miss... it's fun to watch but not very fun to engage in especially with enemies that drat near invincible to every attack.
Ship combat is really bad after having played Black Flag before hand.
Connor is loving boring as poo poo and lacks any personality, the voice actors in this game are nearly all terrible... I don't give a poo poo about the story anymore either, thanks Connor.

Seriously, why DIDN'T they stick with Haytham and tell a Templar story for once?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Resumed my playthrough of Black Flag after going through AC2 -> AC3 and it's truly incredible how well made it is, it's a pleasure just to sail around and dig up treasures or grab animus fragments.

They really just culled the worst parts of AC3, made the best parts even better, slapped on an amazing protag, and told you to go sailing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Also, I just shot a jaguar with a sleeping dart and then skinned it.
I feel dirty. :ohdear:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Preordered the Rogue Deluxe Edition, how much am I going to regret it? :smithicide:

Mainly cause I loved Black Flag.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

You're going to love the hell out of it then.

:holy:
Going to be a long week.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

One thing I'm curious about is I noticed that the Deluxe Edition of Rogue comes with the time savers crap, is there any way to prevent that stuff from activating?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crappy Jack posted:

The language makes it sound like you can give those away, so it sounds like your order will come with codes for each of them, which you can choose to use or give away as you wish.

Ah, right, just noticed the "share with a friend" part of the description.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:peanut:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Out or preload?

Afaik, uplay doesn't have preloading.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

It does.

Welp, I just activated the key nuuvem gave me so we'll find out in 20 mins.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

I haven't gotten my nuuvem key yet. :smith:

Well, the good news is that it's not a preload and is in fact playable right now. :buddy:

Get loving hyped.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rogue seems to run approximately 100.5% better than Black Flag ever did on maxed settings for me, holy crap.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I was always a little disappointed that you couldn't commandeer a variety of ships in the games, making it into Grand Theft Nautical or something, would've made the fights with legendary ships a bit easier.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but I think they wanted to build up an emotional connection to the Jackdaw. I think they even said in marketing that it was like a second character unto itself. So switching around multiple ships just doesn't give you the same connection as that ship you upgraded from nothing into a fierce demon ship that terrorizes the high seas.

Fair enough, though I haven't felt much of a connection cause I constantly swap figureheads, sails, and wheels just about all the time. :sissies:
I don't even know what the canon appearance of the ship is anymore.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo.
So, I guess instead of Mayans or Native Americans as the background cultural motif this time it's the Norse?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

If anything Black Flag 3 should be set in the Viking world. This would own both as an Assassin's Creed setting and sailing environment.

Oh my God, commandeering a badass decked out longship and launching raiding parties on towns.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rogue is so great, I don't get the hate for Shay personally.
I'm only up to Sequence 3 right now and his motivation for turning to the dark side seems well warranted.
Getting sent to a temple by his boss to retrieve an artifact only to have it destroy the loving city that it's in and kill hundreds.

The gameplay feels tighter than Black Flag this time around too and the world feels more alive, great having friendly ships on the sea for a change.
It's also wonderful sailing around the Atlantic crushing ice bergs and ramming through ice sheets, the sounds and visuals are just great.

My only REAL gripe at the moment is that it's a little disappointing that they reused shanties, so having irish dudes singing and then having the same guys from Black Flag start singing a song afterwards took me out of it a bit.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress me. :catstare:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Just started playing and holy crap these accents are awful. I mean, at leat Sean in The Saboteur had a comedy Irish accent but Shay... Wow.

Still, stabby murder fun.

Oh yeah, pretty much all of the voice acting is pretty awful too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Revelations is worse but it's still cool and finishes the Ezio trilogy nicely. Many people were disappointed with it because it's no jump in quality just a sequel in a new (worse) city and everything new it brings to the table isn't particularly great and was dropped from AC games afterwards. There's also the series fatigue aspect setting in if you play the games one after another.

AC: 3 is bland, boring and features the worst protagonist of the series, you should skip it. It was basically Ubisoft switching to a new engine and the mechanics are half-assed. Half of the game is a tutorial and the environments suck. The only downside of skipping it is that you won't see the conclusion of the modern-day plot that started with AC1 if you're into that. Also Ubi basically hasn't touched the modern-day plot in any major way since this game so it's like the last chance to really experience it.

AC: 4 owns hard though and introduces sea environments, it's basically a new take on Pirates! with an AC twist. It's the best AC game since Brotherhood.

AC: Rogue is Black Flag 1.5 improved and expanded upon so if you enjoy AC: 4 this will be more of it.

AC: Unity is another switch to a new graphical engine and falls into the same traps that AC: 3 did. It's not as terrible though and may be even enjoyable to an extent. It's just fumbled in many aspects and the good ideas don't outweight the bad ones.

I hesitate calling Black Flag the best of the series since the main story gameplay was loving awful.
So many god damned tailing and eavesdropping missions that I had to take month long breaks in between sequences.

I had a lot of fun in between memories and sequences though, I will give it that.
Just sailing around, fighting ships and forts, exploring islands, diving into wrecks, climbing ancient mayan structures(!!!! i wish they'd have given us more pyramids and temples to explore, I thought tomb raiding was sorely missed... the final act with the Observatory and all the platforming was so much fun for me)

gently caress the main story missions though, gently caress them hard.

As it stands, of the Kenway trilogy, I'm digging Rogue a lot since it takes away the annoyances and expands upon everything else AC4 had to offer, though they might have removed a couple things but I don't miss them so far.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The fleet mini game is much more bearable now that you can loving skip the battle animations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Here is the only good part of AC3. You can now play other, good AC games.

Everything other than the chase sequence was pretty loving great here, holy crap.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TARDISman posted:

III's best moment was clearly the part when Haytham

I agree.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kurtofan posted:

Speaking of accents, apparently they're back in Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JapuE16BPrY

I guess the French accent is harder to pull off than Chinese, Indian or Russian.

poo poo, that looks really loving cool.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I actually did prefer the arctic over the Caribbean. :shobon:
I felt like Rogue had a lot more to do when you weren't doing the main story too.

Then again, I'm a weirdo that prefers colder climates over hot ones, even in my games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Christ, that looks way too samey.

I think I'm done with AssCreed until they do something akin to Black Flag with how drastically different it was.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Solution, don't make it a loving yearly franchise with next to nothing new mechanically every year.

Even better: scrap the Assassin's Creed brand and make a new series that lets you be a parkour time traveller.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks incredibly dull, I dig the time period but it doesn't work in the AC universe at all.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

right, story trailer dropped. looks like a guy richie movie, which is ok with me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXqBOw-8n8

also karl marx is in the game as a quest giver.

You know, if this didn't have the AssCreed name and probably its mechanics too... I'd be kind of hype for it.

An open world Gangs of New York/Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes game? Sign me up.

This? gently caress no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

macnbc posted:

No AC title is only in development for a year. They have different teams working on them and they're staggered. Syndicate likely started development after Black Flag.

I can bet you anything that work only began on Syndicate some time last year.

• Locked thread