Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think what he meant was without being familiar with some of the mechanics of Dark Souls you wouldn't know what's happening in the videos? Like even though I've played all three games in the series, I'm not sure what 160 poise does for you. And without having played the game the Muscle Wizard video wouldn't make much sense.

I don't know if there's something special about level 160, but poise is a stat that determines your resistance to being staggered or stun-locked by hits. So if it's high, you're basically going to be really really hard to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lasher posted:

I picked up the game and loving hated it. I frustratingly powered my way to just past the first Iron Boar and died exploring the Church and ended up ALL THE WAY BACK in the Undead Burg Bonfire. So I said gently caress this game and sold it.

Few years later I started reading one of the Wiki's and found a similar thread to this somewhere and decided I didn't give it a fair chance. Picked it up again and because just as obsessed as everyone else.

Point being that you should really play the game. I beat it and I am AWFUL at games. I mean, just terrible. I'm old and my reflexes are poo poo but the good thing is with a bit of planning you can absolutely master the game and then it just opens right up like a big, horrible flower.

I actually started out with Dark Souls 2, which is a little simpler and more "user friendly" so Dark Souls 1 has left me a bit mystified at times (the whole humanity system is still unclear to me). But I've rung the first bell and am well on my way. It's fun actually having to be cautious going through levels again. :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

How is humanity unclear to you? Like, mechanic-wise or lore-wise? Cause there's enough Souls players on SA that you could have it explained to you in excruciating detail.

I understand for the most part how/when to use it (like unhollowing, kindling etc.), but then you start getting into things like soft humanity vs. the stuff you pick up and it gets a little weird to me. Don't care about the lore side at all really. I'll just look it up sometime I think, I've seen the Souls threads in Games. :stare:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Dark souls 2 actually seems like the hardest game of the three to me. It was the last one I played but I still died about as many times on my first playthrough as on my first run through the first one I played (dark souls 1). While both faith and sorcery were really good in demon's souls and dark souls 1 (as well as shields), From apparently decided that it wants you to play dark souls 2 by two-handing a weapon and using invincibility frames to dodge roll through everything, as recent patches and the recent DLCs have made some magic (particularly the offensive miracles) feel like a huge waste of points.

I recently played through the whole game in coordinated co-op and we finished with the DLCs. I started out as a faith/semi-strength build while my buddy went all in on sorcery. By the time we finished the last DLC we were both just dodge rolling everywhere with halberds, and only using our magic for a couple buffs but otherwise playing exactly like a strength character built from the start. We basically became the exact same build. I'd feel bad recommending anything but that One True Build to any new players starting the game, while in the first two games I still feel like I could say to do whatever you want. (Admittedly a lot of this is exacerbated in the DLCs, slightly less of an issue in the base game)

Dark Souls 2 also does have its own fair share of unexplained mechanics, like the incredibly important fact that Adapability increases your invincibility time when rolling, and it still doesn't explain things to new players like what the scaling letters mean or what Stability means on a shield for example. I really feel like there's a big jump in difficulty between each game with demon's souls being the easiest, even if dark souls 2 is the most streamlined.

I beat the whole game as a mix of sorcery/faith and pretty much barely touched anything else beyond the bare minimum I needed for a backup weapon. It really made everything ridiculously easy, which is probably why it's gotten nerfed in the patches. I can still blaze through most of it now because I know enemy placements and how to handle them, which is the main thing that keeps getting me killed in 1 right now. :v:

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Oh I guess I never found a 100% phys. resist yet.

How far are you? There's a 100% physical shield available in the first area after one of the bosses. It's decent enough to carry you through most of the game really.

Anyway, if you all enjoy watching pain and suffering in Dark Souls, then this Deprived (no armor, no unhollowing, etc.) NG+++ Boss Run is probably right up your alley.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I think my favorite thing about the DLCs are all the NPC invaders who are programmed to openly mock you if you die. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Feonir posted:

The Darksouls games have a distinct reputation of difficulty to them, people go into them expecting all sorts of havoc and hard times. Ask someone who has never played the game what they know about it and the difficulty of it will likely come up, if not first, then soon after. So a message going "Yer gonna fuckin get rekt" is likely to not make most bat their eyes.

I think the point is it asks you "Are you sure you want to do this?" three times when no other covenant in the entire game does this (and there's at least one other covenant that's encountered in the same area). I understand there's an element of trial and error to DS, but when a game like that tells you things are going to be "arduous," you know you're in for a rough ride and shouldn't be too shocked about it.

You can always drop it and pick it up again at will if you really want to summon someone but also want the rewards. There's no penalty.

Saint Freak posted:

Jeff Green (As in CGW Greenspeak) streams the games. He is like 100 years old and the first hour of each stream is him just hitting every button trying to figure out what they do, and then promptly forgetting. He routinely just runs in the completely wrong direction because he forgot where he was going in-between fights. He has played at least a 3 hour session using only the heavy attack because he forgot there was another button.

He beat 1 and he's about 2/3rds of the way through 2. If he can do it literally anyone can.

http://gfycat.com/DimwittedTameBuckeyebutterfly

True Dark Souls right there: just laughing your head off because you got hosed up by an enemy so badly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

This sounds neat. Are his streams archived anywhere?

You can watch them all on Twitch (and it's a little easier because on Youtube he has to divide them up) but he has them archived on his Youtube channel.

I've been watching both his 1 and 2 runs. They're funny, but also excruciating to watch sometimes when he just does the dumbest stuff or forgets the basic controls altogether. And this is coming from someone who couldn't even figure out how to use the menus for the first hour of DS2. But he's got a sense of humor about it and you have to admire his determination I think. :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is it Dark Souls or Let's Playing that turns people into maniacal over-actors with the subtlety of a claw hammer to the incisors?

Probably a little of both really. I'll take him over the people who drone on and on about THE LORE :byodood: and how they won't be doing this or that because the game is a measurement of their skill though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Has this been posted yet? Cause it's really sums up the experience of playing Dark Souls nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbOVTQnbAA

Really looking forward to the rest of the game now. :stonklol:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

I always liked the meta-aspect of going hollow.

Going hollow, in game lore, only happens when you finally give up and surrender to your fate and you go crazy as an undead monster. As long as you stay determined and keep pushing and don't give up, you won't ever go hollow.

So your player-character never goes hollow, ever. That only happens once you give up for good and stop playing GOD DARK SOULS IS SO GOOD.

I've heard a lot of people joke that the player version of going hollow is when you die a bunch of times, then get so frustrated that you lose your mind and make stupid mistakes (that get you killed again!)

Just made it to Blighttown. I really miss The Gutter/Black Gulch now. :cripes:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

turnways posted:

Saw this on imgur, did not know this could happen:

I think Iron Golem can also be knocked off his arena and in Dark Souls 2 the first Dragonrider will sometimes fall off if you don't raise the edges of his arena.

For maximum cheese, Capra Demon can be killed without even entering the fog gate, by throwing firebombs over the wall.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dooky Dingo posted:

Ritcheyz did a DS run where he killed the Capra Demon by throwing dung pies from the bridge before the fog gate.
More like "CRAPra Demon" right? :v:

I love that you go to all the trouble of killing those big club guys in Blighttown and the only reward you ever get for it is literally a pile of poo poo.

I've made it to Sen's Fortress and I have to ask, are the snake guys weak to ANY weapon? I keep running out of pyromancy.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

They are weak to beat-downs. A strong downward attack with something like an ultra greatsword or club will knock them to the ground, giving you time to finish them with another hit or fend off any other enemies while they get back up. That, or circle-strafe and back-stab them. I don't think they have any major weaknesses that will make any real difference.

Yeah I tried a few clubs (including the giant fuckoff club you get in the previous area) and it did better than swords, but still not so great. They're pretty weak to fire, but like I said I usually run out of everything pretty quick. Guess it's time to just git gud. :shepface:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

(but seriously, they're pretty easy to circle-strafe and back-stab. Get a decent sword and shield, tank their hits, then back-stab away--their wind-ups are slow and annoying, so back-stabbing is preferred over parry/riposte).

They really aren't when you're fighting them in tiny corridors and small rooms.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Oh those ones. Yeah, I dunno. You said it yourself: "git gud".

Yes, the two words I actually hate most about Dark Souls. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Hobo Siege posted:

It's pretty much the answer to every test the game throws at you, though! Oh, sure, those snake guys might seem kind of tough right now, but they'll be a breeze after you get good. Capra Demon? Yeah, he was kind of a hassle until I got good.

gitgudgitgudgitgudgitgud

True to an extent, but people get pretty obnoxious with it.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I'm a firm believer of the get close, spin around and backstab the snakes strat when you are going through sens with a poo poo weapon.

That's pretty much my strategy for everything but like I said it doesn't work when you're in a hallway that's not big enough to get around behind anything.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kazil posted:

This is the wrongest thing I've ever read about Dark Souls.

Sen's Fortress is the best zone between both Dark Souls games, especially because of the traps.

Also, the way to deal with Serpent men is to lure them into traps do you guys even Dark Souls?

The traps that only kill them about half the time and potentially kill you as you set them off (since snake men don't set off pressure plates). I mean yeah they're useful, but it's not the cure-all for that place.

Anyway, I got through the fortress - no I didn't parry a drat thing because gently caress that. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a weird thing I've noticed with some new DS players, they think that the game will intentionally mislead you.

The thing is he's not new at it, he's already beat DS1. Which I think is why he's had so much trouble with 2, since he thinks he already kind of knows everything even though they changed some stuff. I'm not sure if he's even figured out the default jump controls are different yet or not.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

snucks posted:

No, simple observation is. Holes in walls near pressure plates, bloodstains and charred ruin give away every trap in the place. Sen's Fortress is some of the most fun, imaginative level design of the decade, one of the few dungeons in any game that doesn't serve only as drab background color for the grody monsters within.

I wasn't complaining about the traps though? I only ever got caught by one and that was the first arrow trap when you go in the front door (with the really hard to see pressure plate). I found most of them pretty useful for killing or injuring snake men. :)

I don't really have a gif of it but I had a very classic moment yesterday. I decided to do some more exploring instead of heading straight to Anor Londo so I headed to Darkroot Forest (or whatever the place behind the Crest of Artorias is called). I eventually ended up in a fight with a giant cat and was doing pretty well. Until 2 of his buddies jumped in towards the end of the fight and one of them ate me. :saddowns:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

gently caress yeah, Claymore buddy!

Pumped as many souls as I could into my STR stat so I could one hand the fucker and use a shield with it too. I don't care if it's not an optimal build, I'm baller as gently caress.

Except now I've been experimenting with the Black Knight Greatsword. Not sure if I like it. Especially now that I'm trying to get through Darktown for the first time.

Blighttown or New Londo? I got through Blighttown with basically my starting gear (except for the Drake sword). And for god's sake get the Rusted Iron Ring and plenty of moss.

Anyway, during my time in Sen's I managed to grab the lightning spear and something about killing everything with a *poke poke* just cracks me up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

flowinprose posted:

Anyone playing on NG7+ will pretty much have to do that anyway, cause everything will practically one-shot you.

:darksouls:

And SL does have a bearing on this, because having 120 agility makes a pretty large difference on invulnerable frames.

Once you get to the higher levels of agility, the difference is pretty minimal at only a 1-2 frame increase per level maxing out at 16 frames.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

First time playing Dark Souls 2 on PC, I'm at the part of the tutorial area where the game teaches you the jump mechanics. I'm like "gently caress this, I know how to do this poo poo, who do they think I am :smugdog:" and ignore the sign that shows the controls.

A split second after I let go of the sprint button and press it again, I remember that they changed the default jump controls. I should have known this because I played the PS3 version for a few hours when it came out, but it completely escaped my mind. I promptly roll off the cliff and die.

*Achievement unlocked: This is Dark Souls*

In general, your worst enemies in Dark Souls are hubris and gravity.

I believe you can change the jump controls to the old layout in the options, but I've never tried so I'm not sure. I'm having the opposite problem, since I'm used to being able to roll out of a sprint thanks to 2, so now I'm jumping all the time in DS1 (yeah I know you can roll with your shield up, but I forget).

You're not alone though, I've seen a lot of veteran players who had a really hard time because they just assumed it was the same.

(Don't burn your effigies to become human :ssh: )

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

Oh man I don't wanna give myself away here but... there was another way? I must have missed a lot of secret walls.

In Dark Souls 2 you just press the "interact" button in front of the illusory wall to open them. So basically you can find a lot of them just by running against the walls and hammering the A button or whatever.

The Ruin Sentinel room is full of them if you want a place to try it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Blighttown. It's also the farthest I ever got. I played Dark Souls 2 with a similar build using a +5 Lightning Murakumo one handed with a 100% phys-block shield and the heaviest armor I could use while still doing the medium-fast roll. I'm largely using the exact same strategy in DS1 and it seems to be working well.

I got to Blighttown and even on my PC the framerate shat it's pants so I decided to take a break.

Edit: I also took a break from DS2 because I hit a wall fighting the Twin Dragonriders (Dragonslayers?). I really really need to beat both. As well, I'll have plenty of time to do that when my wife leaves for business in February.

Oh yeah, the frame rate was a nightmare. I was hoping that was a console only problem, but sounds like I'll have it to look forward to on PC! But really, whenever you get back to it that ring and the moss is super-helpful (and the ring also comes in handy in lots of other areas).

Like the previous poster mentioned, there's a hidden bonfire near there that makes that fight less of a headache. It also becomes a piece of cake if you summon someone (I farmed them and Looking Glass Knight for the Sunbros).

Currently started on Anor Londo and everything has gone surprisingly smoothly. Except for the archers, you know the ones. :shepicide:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

I'm guessing not, because I have to climb quite a few stairs to get to them. Where is it?

You can see the way in this video since it's a little hard to explain. He's already got it open, but you can see where it is.

Also handy for the other poster who said he missed lots of illusory walls. :v:

NotAnArtist posted:

Those motherfucking archers.

It was funny because I'd heard so many things about them, then I managed to get up to the ledge without getting hit so I felt pretty good about it. Then the Silver Knight jumped in and absolutely crushed me. I took some consolation in the fact that he fell off the ledge too. :)

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Dec 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

There's actually one wall that doesn't cause the prompt to appear in Forest of the Fallen Giant

There is no prompt for illusory walls, they just open when you interact with the correct spot on the wall.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

You're right I'm misremembering. There was something odd about that one wall but I forget what it is now.

Maybe it's this? Apparently a few of the walls don't have the dev message. I actually didn't know about this until now.

quote:

Before every illusory wall, there is a hidden message on the floor that is left by the developer. The player can only see them by casting the miracle Guidance or equipping Hollow Skin.

Oh and for another great moment from my DS1 playthrough, before I went to Anor Londo I decided to explore the Catacombs for a bit. I did pretty well for the most part. Until I got to the end, fell through the floor on top of a Black Knight that almost killed me, then fell through again into the room full of bonewheels that promptly ran me down. :stonk: Then when I decided to be sneaky and go around the knight next time he still aggroed on me, went all the way though the bonewheel room and popped out of a hole in the wall to kill me.

:darksouls:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kazil posted:

You open it by blowing up powder barrels next to it.

There's another illusory wall in that area too, not counting that or the lockstone thing. It's in the building you go into after Pate, when the gate locks you in and you have to fight your way out. At the foot of the stairs with all the hollow soldiers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've run up against a wall called Ornstein & Smough. :negative:

Also I don't get why Solaire is so beloved because holy poo poo is it bad having him as the only available summon. He just dies so fast!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kazil posted:

Solaire does a reasonably good job of taking the attention of one of them so you can burn the other one. You can't rely on him to defeat the bosses himself though.

I wasn't expecting him to kill any of them by himself, but he usually dies before either one of them are dead. It's usually close enough that I can get one. But then I'm alone for that second phase. It's kind of amazing because the NPC summon in Blighttown was loving bathing in lava the whole fight in nothing but her underwear and she was fine the whole time. Solaire, in full plate with lightning at his disposal? Dead in a minute or less.

And uh, Lautrec's kind of dead already so no summoning him. Wish I had my PC right now so I could play on Steam and not get charged for the privilege of multiplayer.

(I guess I should add that I've only died a few times and I almost got it last time, so I'm sure I'll get there if I beat my head against them enough)

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Dec 28, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Triarii posted:

I killed O&S on my first attempt in my first playthrough and it makes me feel like such a dick.

(It was a Favorite Dark Souls Moment though.)

I've killed a lot of bosses in 2 on my first try so I guess this is my punishment. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm not sure if two would help anyway. For Gaping Dragon they both basically just let themselves get smashed repeatedly until they died and left me with a powered up monster to kill (that still had most of its health). For O&S I mainly need Solaire for distraction.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the NPCs in DS2 that would occasionally roll or heal themselves at least.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Spergminer posted:

I'm pretty sure that Lautrec/Solaire at Gaping is a trap, I have never seen either of them survive that one. I would complain about the general summon AI in DS1, but DS2 has Lucatiel of Mirrah, two-time bridge suicide champion.

Yeah I just said gently caress it and killed the dragon alone. And people complain about Lucatiel a lot, but I always summon her and I've never lost her in a single fight. :iiam:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

From the ladle to the grave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-muzHm6yg

A modern classic.

I posted him once already in the thread, but there's a guy who did a whole series killing bosses with a broken Mundane-infused ladle (for non-players that means he took an already lovely weapon and made it as lovely as he possibly could).

Not quite as funny as the other one since it's mostly him just hammering giant people in the knees with a spoon, but I thought it was neat. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That or 8, I don't remember. Either way it's the hardest he can possibly make it besides putting more restrictions on himself like no armor or whatever. Maybe the Covenant of Champions if it affects bosses too, I don't know.

It does seem to affect bosses, since the last time I joined even Flexile Sentry became a problem. I don't know if it would raise the cap for NG+, but it would also disable summons which he sometimes breaks down and uses after the umpteenth death.

And even though he did infuse it, he is still using a broken ladle. :v:

Section 9 posted:

Oh sweet, I thought the absolution thing just meant you wouldn't be invaded as much by whatever the sin-punisher covenant is.

The pardoner guys are mainly there to get rid of aggro (and take a ridiculous amount of souls to do it). I know in DS2 it doesn't have any effect on your actual level of sin.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Jan 1, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

For all their reputation being insanely tough, the biggest killer in every Souls game I've played has been gravity and the environment. I've been having a real problem with ladders of all things, since unlike DS2 you can just get too close and walk right off the top of them.

Also not resetting my elevators or forgetting that I died and the elevator platform is somewhere else. :sigh:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Emphasis? Pretty sure you never have to make a single jump to beat the game, at least in Dark Souls. Not sure about DS2.

Also, i haven't rocketed somewhere random in like 500 hours of gameplay, don't know what's up with your PC.

It's not a PC only thing. I'm playing the first game on the Xbox 360 and I've had it happen a few times, mainly in Blighttown which is a slow frame rate nightmare. I routinely get teleported across one platform on the way to the wheel thing because of some beams in the way (just not enough to throw me off). And once I climbed up a ladder only to fly off backwards into space and to my death of course. No idea why, there was nothing in the way.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

She had a 50% hit rate for me. Half the time she'd survive the boss, but with the Lost Sinner she was completely useless over multiple attempts.

I mainly use her as a distraction to keep the boss off me while I hack away at their back, don't ever expect her to do much damage. I think maybe I'm just lucky or something because I never light the torches for Lost Sinner and apparently a lot of people have trouble with that too. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Edit: Never mind, misunderstood the post. :doh:

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Jan 2, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Brainamp posted:

There are two rings? :psyduck:

Yeah, the first lever is the really obvious one guarded by the sword/shield guy, the other lever is in that big central room with the three knights.

You can also take potshots at the Dragonrider with a bow from the narrow walkway before that room, but it's risky and time-consuming. I do think it's funny that you can see him just standing there waiting around for someone to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Apparently you can kill the Capra Demon in DS1 by throwing firebombs over the wall before his fight, so this has some precedent in the series.

You most definitely can, because this is how I killed him. :v:

• Locked thread