Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm really annoyed that California's mail in votes don't count the postmark or at the very least put right on the envelope "POSTMARK DOES NOT COUNT". My mail in vote got sent to my CA address and then I had to have someone shlep it to the other coast, so by the time I got it and realized I should fill it in it was today.

I just wanted to vote. :(

Edit: Just talked to someone whose roommate made the same mistake. They really need to make it more obvious.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Update: M&Ms delivered. Having to listen to ramble about "Going positive earlier! Its what people want!!!"

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Went before work and voted blue in a very blue state (Maryland).

Now I just need to pick up a bottle of Auchentoshan after work.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Had a fresh Eastern European immigrant trying to get us to fill out his ballot with him so he was voting for the right "team". We kept trying to explain we couldn't do that and he was getting increasingly flustered because he didn't want to vote for the wrong "team"

Edit: like, not that he wanted to make sure he was filling it out right so his choices would be counted, like he wanted to make certain he was voting for the side that was socially appropriate and wouldn't get him mocked by others

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 4, 2014

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Chiming in from NE-2 (Omaha, basically):

There's a legitimate chance that Nebraska State Sen. Brad Ashford (D) will unseat eight-term House backbencher Lee Terry (R), who you've probably never heard of beyond gaffes such as

... and for standing by an NRCC ad that has aired in recent weeks that juxtaposes Ashford's picture with one of serial killer Nikko Jenkins (Jenkins later yelled his endorsement for Terry in a courtroom :v: )

Anyway, in a state that's about to elect an idiot who lost the 2006 senate race to Ben Nelson by 19 points(!!!) as its new governor and a swarmy motherfucker as senator, Terry going down would be a nice consolation prize. The district's (and state's, for that matter) last D representative lost in the 1994 midterms.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 4, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Voted straight line D in Kansas, don't say i never did anything for you democrats!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Turn left America!! nooooo

Real Name Grover posted:

Chiming in from NE-2 (Omaha, basically):

There's a legitimate chance that Nebraska State Sen. Brad Ashford (D) will unseat eight-term House backbencher Lee Terry (R), who you've probably never heard of beyond gaffes such as

... and for standing by an NRCC ad that has aired in recent weeks that juxtaposes Ashford's picture with one of serial killer Nikko Jenkins (Jenkins later yelled his endorsement for Terry in a courtroom :v: )

Anyway, in a state that's about to elect an idiot who lost the 2006 senate race to Ben Nelson by 19 points(!!!) as its new governor and a swarmy motherfucker as senator, Terry going down would a nice consolation prize. The district's (and state's, for that matter) last D representative lost in the 1994 midterms.
Please god.

I hope 425 passes too.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Maryland has got to be one of the most boring places elections have ever been held. The candidates are boring, the races aren't competitive, no fun ballot measures.

Game of Cones
Apr 7, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

In Orange County Florida we have a ballot question on whether or not candidates for county offices can have their party identification on the ballot. Apparently there are people that believe this will inject :spooky:PARTISANSHIP:spooky: in races and will turn Orange County into Washington, DC. On the bright side there was no line when I voted the other day and I wasn't hassled. Down with the creature that calls itself Rick Scott.

Whatup, fellow (Florida) Orange County goon.

I know about this ballot question but wasn't able to find any arguments for it other than the Democratic Party website saying "vote for it please!", so I plan to vote no. Seems like a power grab in our Democrat-leaning area. Do you have any reasoning for voting for it?

quote:

My voice in the race for Orange County Soil and Water Commission was unheard.

I'm voting for (both) these, but I have no idea why there are so many elected offices for this.

MGDRAGOON
May 28, 2003

What you say!?!
Already voted two weeks ago, still don't understand why all states don't go to vote by mail for everyone.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

MGDRAGOON posted:

Already voted two weeks ago, still don't understand why all states don't go to vote by mail for everyone.

The post office is the red enough, already....

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

One of the parties specifically wants less people voting.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It's crazy how many jobs are elected positions that really shouldn't be. County soil and water conservation supervisor, minor judges, in some jurisdictions goddamn coroner.

At least party ID on these races means that political parties have vetted these people for qualifications and can make their endorsements known.

Elected coroners make for good ads, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRgCOXaiDjQ

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I voted straight ticket D last week on the last day of early voting, which does little except cancel out my dad's vote. Also have a fridge stocked with beer waiting for the news that Amendment 1 passed and TN is on its way to becoming a blighted anti-choice hellscape like the other states around us.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Radish posted:

Any Virginia voters know anything about the tax exempt status for war widows thing? Someone was talking about it in another thread about how it's a scam (pretty much everything our GOP does here is) but I'd like to know more about it.

As a fellow VA voter, I am also curious about this. Anyone with insight?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Radish posted:

One of the parties specifically wants less people voting.

Even a lot of Democrats oppose it because of the sacredness of election day or something. Take it away state Senate leader!

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/advocates_push_early_voting_measure/

quote:

Witkos and Labriola might be surprised at what the expected next president of the State Senate, New Haven’s Martin Looney, had to say on the subject in the interview.

He said he supports the ballot question because he’d like to see more early voting made possible in Connecticut—but not by mail. Rather he’d like to see early-voting polling stations set up. He is reluctant to universalize absentee ballots.

Looney called the secret-ballot voting booth “sacrosanct”: “What’s to prevent an anti-union employer from saying to employees, ‘Show me your ballot’?”

Looney also said he would never want to do away with Election Day: “The idea of an election day and a communal experience of people going out to vote is of critical importance. We have so few communal activities. Our society is so fragmented. People are isolated. Going to a polling place is an important communal activity. I want that to continue.” Only Oregon has moved to a completely mailed-in advance-voting system, he noted. “I’m totally opposed to that idea.”

Of course if you read the whole article, right before that the head of the state GOP was opposing question 1(this isn't for universal mail in voting, it just amends the state constitution to allow easier absentee and early voting) on grounds of VOTER FRAUD, DEMOCRATS STEALING ELECTIONS

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I voted against the wolf hunt in Michigan.

It's feeding time.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Aqua Buddha...gone sad. Show camera: Shame.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
+1 D across the board in West Virginia. I don't hold out much hope that Tennant or Casey will win, though.

Maybe the library levy will pass. :unsmith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Voted at around 9:30 at the local precinct, then went to the township hall to see what my opponent, the township clerk, was up to. We chatted, and he floated an offer for work in the township. It's tempting, because I do need work, but the partisan in me is screaming at me for even daring to consider it. I wouldn't ever take a staff position under him directly, but if board seat could be scored... that'd be tempting.

That's all assuming I lose and he wins, of course.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

Even a lot of Democrats oppose it because of the sacredness of election day or something. Take it away state Senate leader!

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/advocates_push_early_voting_measure/

Of course if you read the whole article, right before that the head of the state GOP was opposing question 1(this isn't for universal mail in voting, it just amends the state constitution to allow easier absentee and early voting) on grounds of VOTER FRAUD, DEMOCRATS STEALING ELECTIONS

I admit I hadn't thought of bosses forcing their employees to fill out ballots in front of them which sounds a little far-fetched considering the penalties for voter fraud. That seems kind of like the left wing version of all the Democrats voting a hundred times.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Game of Cones posted:

Whatup, fellow (Florida) Orange County goon.

I know about this ballot question but wasn't able to find any arguments for it other than the Democratic Party website saying "vote for it please!", so I plan to vote no. Seems like a power grab in our Democrat-leaning area. Do you have any reasoning for voting for it?

There's no reason not to vote yes on it. All elections are partisan, this just dispenses with the ridiculous illusion that county offices for some reason weren't.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Posted this in USPol already 'cause I didn't see this thread:

queertea posted:

Voted today too. I don't know how many polling places Milwaukee has, but I was only #92 at mine, and this was about an hour and a half after polls opened. :ohdear:

I know the only way Mary Burke will win is with a good turnout, so I really pray that happens.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

Voted at around 9:30 at the local precinct, then went to the township hall to see what my opponent, the township clerk, was up to. We chatted, and he floated an offer for work in the township. It's tempting, because I do need work, but the partisan in me is screaming at me for even daring to consider it. I wouldn't ever take a staff position under him directly, but if board seat could be scored... that'd be tempting.

Take it. Take the offer. Take the gently caress'n offer you oaf. This is how you do politics: You shown yourself hard enough a worker that you have potential, others recognize that and can see you going further and getting them in on your take.

Take it. Take the offer. Take the offer and force change from the inside.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Seriously, there's no way that's real.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mauser posted:

Maryland has got to be one of the most boring places elections have ever been held. The candidates are boring, the races aren't competitive, no fun ballot measures.

Yeah the Maryland ballot is super-loving dull this year.

Guess that makes up for 2012 and the passage of marriage equality and the DREAM Act all in one year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

potato of destiny posted:

Seriously, there's no way that's real.

He's being asked about his position on marijuana by a reporter in that photo: https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/529656239656284160

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm actually in a pretty bad mood today since I was hoping that Rounds' scandals when in office would have been enough to get a Democrat elected to Johnson's old seat, but western South Dakota would vote for a pile of dog poo poo as long as it has a (R) next to it's name.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Joementum posted:

He's being asked about his position on marijuana by a reporter in that photo: https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/529656239656284160

I was talking about his hair.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
+1 D in Michigan. I mailed my absentee ballot last Friday.

Went to a campaign rally last night in Ann Arbor. Schauer and Peters were there, as well as a few other local reps, including Debbie Dingell, who's running for her husband's old district. It was pretty exciting. Schauer cast himself as the underdog willing to work for the common man, and it went over well with the crowd.

I'm not too worried about the Senate race, as Terri Lynn Land has a terminal case of foot-in-mouth syndrome, but the governor's race is going to be real close. The other graduate students are setting up an 'election party' at a bar and I'm likely to join them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ofaloaf posted:

Take it man. Gets you a pay check, let's you push things from the inside, let's you make more and better connections for the future. There is zero downside for you

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

I don't get it, is he pointing out his "legalize it" underwear?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
He's probably annoyed that he has a lot of great ideas and he's effectively boiled down to "the weed guy".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

He's probably annoyed that he has a lot of great ideas and he's effectively boiled down to "the weed guy".

Actually put all conservatives in the Virgin Rocket and send it to Congress.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

queertea posted:

Posted this in USPol already 'cause I didn't see this thread:

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo.

gently caress.

I am going to my polling place like, right after work with my ID and a power bill in hand. If Walker wins, this is going to be a rough next 4 years.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there any indication he has a chance of losing?

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Radish posted:

Is there any indication he has a chance of losing?

Well, I mean, he's probably going to win. Most polls have it at a close race, though. Part of me still really wants him to lose, you know? Like, I tried to accept his victory but I can't.

And I said I wouldn't drink tonight.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So if republicans take Senate, are they going to try impeaching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Ofaloaf take the god drat job.

• Locked thread