Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I don't think Walker is even considered to be seriously in danger of losing, is he? His lead isn't huge but from what I've read it looks relatively safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So if republicans take Senate, are they going to try impeaching?

If Obamacare hadn't yet been implemented, I'd say it's possible.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Impeachment happens in the House, not the Senate. In order for the Senate to convict, they would need a 2/3rds majority, which would require the Republicans to win every single Senate election this year (including, like, Delaware and Hawaii) and for a Democrat to resign and be replaced by a Republican.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh that makes sense

Here's to hoping the draconian anti abortion questions fail

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Their gambit to placate the base by suing instead is falling apart because no law firm wants to represent them in the suit. The two they have managed to find have then dropped it because they don't want to piss off clients, and most firms won't even take it in the first place for that reason.

I won't go so far as to say they will, but so far their attempts to not do it aren't working out like they want

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slate Action posted:

I don't think Walker is even considered to be seriously in danger of losing, is he? His lead isn't huge but from what I've read it looks relatively safe.

Even if it was close I'm sure someone would "accidentally" find just enough missing votes in Waukesha to keep it out of being a recount.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

Well, I mean, he's probably going to win. Most polls have it at a close race, though. Part of me still really wants him to lose, you know? Like, I tried to accept his victory but I can't.

And I said I wouldn't drink tonight.

As an outsider I kinda lost interest in Wisconsin after the recall failed and they put up that poo poo-headed judge. There was a bit of plausible deniability in that the people there didn't want to recall someone, but it just seems like the idea the state is left leaning was a fallacy.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Slate Action posted:

Marquette Law School's poll had him up by 7%, but all other polls are 1% or 2% one way or the other. So yeah, it's potentially very close.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

Mr.48 posted:

Is there any information yet about how much impact the mayday-pac ads have had on the races where they got involved?

Mayday spent $2.1M alone in trying to upend Fred Upton in Michigan's 6th, but I think it'll just result in Upton winning a somewhat close race instead of winning by a landslide.

As of 10:45, my precinct has already hit the total number of votes that are usually cast during a midterm.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In local election news the Austin American Statesman didn't bother to actually look at the candidate's views beyond support for a 20% homestead exemption and had to yank an endorsement because they ended up endorsing an anti-fluoride Alex Jones supporting truther who thinks that smart electric meters and wifi cause muscle spasms.

Oops.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

Marquette Law School's poll had him up by 7%, but all other polls are 1% or 2% one way or the other. So yeah, it's potentially very close.

*Breaking news: 524 Walker votes, coincidentally the exact number to not trigger an automatic recount found on election commissioner's laptop.*

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Ofaloaf take the god drat job.
There is also a potential offer of being staff for the local state representative, though. Gonna visit the office after polls close and give my regards to that campaign and talk a bit.

But yeah, the township offer does sound good.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Reminder, there's a stupid IRC channel to piss and moan about elections and politics -

Come chat about this dumb country! We're at #poligoon on SynIRC (irc.synirc.net). You can also use the following handy link to chat in your browser!

http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23poligoon&server=irc.synirc.net

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
In 2012 I waited 3 hours to vote, there were tons of young people. Today it took 3 minutes to vote and everyone was old :(.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Even if it was close I'm sure someone would "accidentally" find just enough missing votes in Waukesha to keep it out of being a recount.

We're aware.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Radish posted:

Any Virginia voters know anything about the tax exempt status for war widows thing? Someone was talking about it in another thread about how it's a scam (pretty much everything our GOP does here is) but I'd like to know more about it.

That was me. In 2004 we passed an amendment giving veterans with 100% disability exemption from paying real estate tax. Now they want to give it to the spouses of people killed in combat. The reason I think it is bullshit is that real estate taxes are collected at the municipal and county level. Essentially the state wants to reward ARE HEROES, but not with tax money that would go to the state. Those war widows will still have to pay their state income tax, after all.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Please save this for 2016.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Mostly Dems, one state Republican, and Lizard People for probate judge.

Poll worker asked me for ID even though we have no voter ID law :(

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Just got back from a speedy voting process here in Brooklyn. Though I'm sure my votes aren't going to matter, I had to vote against the douchebag Michael Grimm, just to make myself feel better. Plus Cuomo is going to win without any worries, so I went ahead and voted third party there.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maarek posted:

That was me. In 2004 we passed an amendment giving veterans with 100% disability exemption from paying real estate tax. Now they want to give it to the spouses of people killed in combat. The reason I think it is bullshit is that real estate taxes are collected at the municipal and county level. Essentially the state wants to reward ARE HEROES, but not with tax money that would go to the state. Those war widows will still have to pay their state income tax, after all.

That just sounds really weird. Like telling local governments they can't collect specific taxes.

Also Cuomo is one of the guys I would gladly vote third party against even if he was in jeopardy of losing.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Already heard a few times today due to voter Id bullcrap "well I guess I'm not voting today..." :smith:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The Green-Rainbow Alliance got two votes in Central MA today. Wife couldn't bring herself to vote for Coakley though, so, if she loses, our bad.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TotalHell posted:

Yeah the Maryland ballot is super-loving dull this year.

Guess that makes up for 2012 and the passage of marriage equality and the DREAM Act all in one year.

Hey, if this crap is what's passing for "excitement this year, I'll take the dull sanity of MD any day of the loving week.

It was my first time voting in Maryland this year, actually, and it's all very civilized. MD is technically an ID state, but they give you the option to vote as you're getting your driver's licence (and, I believe, send you a voter registration form to your address if you didn't take hat option). When I went for early voting, I wasn't even asked to produce an ID; just asked for my address and gave me the voter card. Took not even 10 minutes, AND there was bilingual support. If there had been free food, it would have been perfect, and even that wasn't a deal-breaker, as the Saturday Farmers Market was going on right outside.

Thus I am free to concentrate my energies on hoping and praying that my home state has realized what a stupid fat gently caress LePage is and will kick him to the curb. Or that Eliot Cutler spontaneously combusts. Whichever, really.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Popero posted:

Mostly Dems, one state Republican, and Lizard People for probate judge.

Poll worker asked me for ID even though we have no voter ID law :(
Isn't that illegal?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

This is like their "thing" (besides the "thing" where they shout at mosques with a bullhorn)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Spiffster posted:

Already heard a few times today due to voter Id bullcrap "well I guess I'm not voting today..." :smith:

One older fellow I canvassed a month and a half ago came to the township hall today-- turns out, he never registered to vote before the deadline. :(

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Phlairdon posted:

Plus Cuomo is going to win without any worries, so I went ahead and voted third party there.

Same

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

skaboomizzy posted:

I was person #122 at my polling station this morning according to the scanner I slid my ballot into. I didn't realize until today that the Dems didn't field a candidate for FL-13. Shameful.

No Democrat in NY-22 either. Tough finding willing sacrificial lambs, I suppose.

I'll vote on my way to work in a couple hours, though it is likely that I'll be voting in maybe one competitive race, and that depends on if the folks where I live want to keep sending our state senator back to Albany until he's either sent up the river for perjury, or if cancer kills him.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I voted Hawkins. :shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Someone vote twice to make up for my abstention.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Glad to hear democrats are splitting their vote to the green candidate. Keep it up.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Glad to hear democrats are splitting their vote to the green candidate. Keep it up.

I'm not a democrat. :v:

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

You fool, you just voted to re-elect every candidate in the nation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Voting for Cuomo is actually splitting the vote too. He's repulsive. It would be a very tough decision to make if I lived in NY.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I mailed in my ballot a while ago. Did my civic duty in voting for Wolf and telling Corbett to gently caress off forever. Also voted for the two other races on the ballot, but governor is the big one.

I hate you so much Corbett

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I will literally eat some portion of a NY Yankees baseball cap if Astorino wins.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the democrat slate lit outside the polling station has a sample ballot looking lower half, with the sample ballot filled in for democrats.

Just had an elderly Eastern European immigrant woman walk up, slap down the lit at the clerk table, point at the bubble filled in for straight ticket dem, announce "Democrat!" and turn to go.

We got her set up right, but still

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Not sure whether the Sapient or StopCommonCore ballot line is more eye-rolly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In Nevada, voted against Sandoval who does terrible things to public educators, abstained from voting for state representative since the crazy doctor who is basically running unopposed things fluoridated water causes autism and liberals are communists who should be locked up, voted "none of these candidates" where I could, for some good local people in local races, and for our cool democratic congressman that we share with las Vegas 400 miles away. No problems, quick and easy like always.

Liquor stockpiled for tonight.

• Locked thread