Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I will be providing my completely futile vote to keep Sarah Palin Jr out of the Senate later.

I hate Iowa. I really need to move somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phlegmish posted:

For some reason I wasn't expecting Northern Marianas to be reliably Republican. Any reason for that? Hawai'i seems to be solid Democratic with somewhat similar demographics.

There are no labor laws in the Marianas.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Sam Wang published a guide to help everyone who's going to :f5: tonight: http://election.princeton.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/PEC-2014-Election-Guide.pdf

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

What a depressingly frank thread title.

Total punch to the gut.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If you're in IL and can't stand voting for either Quinn or Rauner, be aware of this:

Statewide voter intimidation programs paid for by Rauner. What proof?

Delaying the opening of Chicago polling locations by robocalling judges to inform them that they aren't yet qualified and have to attend training in the corner of the county, while informing R election judges they "have to vote the party line"

"Voter Integrity Project" workers asking to check the signature of every black voter

Reports from friends in MO/EStL of Missouri folks being sent to IL in organized manner; I would not be surprised to see photos of white folk with guns near black polling places to turn up soon enough. Certainly enough cars with confederate insignia driving around--more than usual for them parts of IL.

Republicans: Ensuring "voter integrity" through voter surpression and intimidation. Its the fundamental difference between parties: Democrats win by increasing turnout, Republicans win by lowering turnout.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Joementum posted:

Republicans Rule Everything Around Me

I was going to go with K.R.E.A.M.

Kochs

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I took a look at NC's ballot and you guys better vote for those bonds for highway improvement. :argh: Us SC drivers are tired of all the traffic you people cause when we drive to OUR JOBS in your state.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you're in IL and can't stand voting for either Quinn or Rauner, be aware of this:

Statewide voter intimidation programs paid for by Rauner. What proof?

Delaying the opening of Chicago polling locations by robocalling judges to inform them that they aren't yet qualified and have to attend training in the corner of the county, while informing R election judges they "have to vote the party line"

"Voter Integrity Project" workers asking to check the signature of every black voter

Reports from friends in MO/EStL of Missouri folks being sent to IL in organized manner; I would not be surprised to see photos of white folk with guns near black polling places to turn up soon enough. Certainly enough cars with confederate insignia driving around--more than usual for them parts of IL.

Republicans: Ensuring "voter integrity" through voter surpression and intimidation. Its the fundamental difference between parties: Democrats win by increasing turnout, Republicans win by lowering turnout.

Do you have a link for this stuff?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
"I'm not voting today because my polling place is by my parents house and I don't have enough gas."

and

"I'm still not registered in New York and I forgot to request a Missouri ballot."

and

*silence*

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Had a very old man pass the time waiting for his wife to finish voting by telling us pretty racist stories about "the Japs" and how "squirrelly" they are.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Broken Box posted:

Total punch to the gut.
Yeah, I'm not sure where to set my expectations. I think right now my "good" outcome to look for are long term gains, like texas showing more signs of going purple and things like that. I don't find myself being hopeful for more than a couple token wins this election.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dropping in from NY-26. Voted mostly straight D, though my State Senate district (60th) is pretty interesting. Historically, the State Senate has been pretty constantly R-held (1965-2008), but things got really weird in the last few years. The 60th district in particular is funny - we've previously been a heavily urban (and D - 104k registered D, 22k registered R) district until Mark Grisanti took it in 2010. Grisanti's interesting as he was a Dem before and lost the nomination in 2008 to the incumbent (really, really badly - 72% to 28%), so he swapped parties and beat Thompson in 2010 by 500 votes. That basically put the State Senate Rs back in control.

Grisanti's been... interesting. Dull R in a lot of ways, but he crossed the line on the same-sex marriage vote and a few other things. He held on in 2012 despite being challenged on the right by someone on the Conservative party line as well as a Dem, and the lines got redrawn to make the district a lot more R-friendly (Dems still have about a 35k voter advantage, though). He's been relatively quiet this last go-round.

Now in 2014, it's gotten hot. Grisanti lost his primary to a young gun Generic Republican attorney (Kevin Stocker), who's got the R line. Grisanti is running on the Independence line. The Dems are running Marc Panepinto, who's uh.. troubled. He's a traditional Unions & Jobs type of Dem, including rumors of mob connections and a conviction for collecting fruadulent signatures on ballots that has been getting him hammered. And there's a fourth guy (Tim Gallagher) who's running on the Conservative line to split the vote even more, because neither Grisanti nor Stocker is far right enough for some people.

This race is at least state-important as the Republicans only hold the State Senate by two seats and a swing could have some impact on what Cuomo gets to do in his next term.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fried Chicken posted:

Had a very old man pass the time waiting for his wife to finish voting by telling us pretty racist stories about "the Japs" and how "squirrelly" they are.

Please write a "Best Of" megapost when you're finished today. I want to hear these stories.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Hey Joementum, Illinois introduced same-day voter registration this year, add them to the OP!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Misandrist Duck posted:

Hey Joementum, Illinois introduced same-day voter registration this year, add them to the OP!

Their test of it this year is only being done in Cook County, but I added that information.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Do you have a link for this stuff?

http://politics.suntimes.com/article/chicago/calls-election-judges-serious-attempt-disrupt-voting/mon-11032014-826pm

"Calls to election judges 'a serious attempt to disrupt voting'"

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/11/04/malicious-robocalls-leave-chicago-short-of-election-judges/

“Malicious” Robocalls Leave Chicago Short Of Election Judges

on the start of Chicago shenanigans

Misandrist Duck posted:

If you're close to one of the five locations, any chance you can go check it out and see what the flow is/whether any of the "Voter Integrity Protection" teams are out there yet?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 4, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, did my part to kick Corbett to the curb. Not that Wolf is going to have a lot to work with since both the State Senate and House of Reps is held by the Republicans, but every little bit helps.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does that sort of thing ever end up getting punished?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crain posted:

Please write a "Best Of" megapost when you're finished today. I want to hear these stories.

Seconding this. :allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I will be providing my completely futile vote to keep Sarah Palin Jr out of the Senate later.

Definitely not futile. That race is one of the tightest in the nation (because Braley's a goddamn idiot) and whoever wins it is going to do so with a razor-thin margin.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Chalk up one more vote against the Nerd and the insane Terri Lynn Land who has been trying to rouse last minute votes by referencing EBOLA.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Does that sort of thing ever end up getting punished?

What, you mean intimidating black and libertarian voters with guns?

Nope, pretty standard Republican tactic. Democrats ask for buy-in and you get cheap beer; Republicans ensure buy-in with coordinated intimidation campaigns.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

What, you mean intimidating black and libertarian voters with guns?

Nope, pretty standard Republican tactic. Democrats ask for buy-in and you get cheap beer; Republicans ensure buy-in with coordinated intimidation campaigns.

Nah I'm referring to the calls to the election judges.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Alter Ego posted:

I'm more surprised that Gohmert has read anything of the Bible outside Leviticus.

I'm surprised Gohmert can read.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Honest answer: Depends how close the first count is.

You don't want to start looking for election fraud in Cook County. You don't know where it'll take you, nor which overpass you'll be found in.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's depressing but fair enough.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I like midterms because I get to vote to keep Ellison in in congress. Eat poo poo regressives, racists and/or bigots :)

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Was in and out in 5 minutes in VA's 7th district, probably because my suburb is pretty wealthy and I pass the paper bag test.

I know Brat is the shoe-in, and right now I am weighing the schaedenfraude of having voted for him in the primary versus the depressing reality that he will end up being my rep.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry guys I failed to convince one of my Republican co-workers to vote Libertarian this year, maybe I can fool another Republican into doing it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 4, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Man in background does not appear to be on Team Mitch.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Joementum posted:

My understanding is that if you buy a t-shirt with "Made In The USA" on the label, there's a high chance it's from a sweatshop in CNMI, confirm/deny?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Radish posted:

Whoever wins the election due to fraud will be sure to investigate and punish those responsible.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
+1 for Malloy, +1 for yes on Question 1 :toot:

I don't like how question 1 was worded, I fear it might lose.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

That explains why Republicans would like the Northern Marianas, but not the other way around.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

My understanding is that if you buy a t-shirt with "Made In The USA" on the label, there's a high chance it's from a sweatshop in CNMI, confirm/deny?

Or the garment district in LA. There are plenty of undocumented workers doing piecework there.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Voted early in Texas

Anyone else have a solid wall of signs 100 ft from the polling place's door?

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
A less-blurry version

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Crain posted:

Someone else had a picture of the old black lady from this morning (before the exit, they were just doing a "working the polls" shot and she happened to be walking through) , I asked for it so if they email it I'll post it

Edit: I really doubt the stuff I'm seeing is any crazier than any other public facing high traffic job, with the exception that I'm live posting it. I imagine if a Walgreen's pharmacist was lice posting they'd have something similar

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

That's depressing but fair enough.

Have something to cheer you up, then:

Rich Miller posted:

I just checked with the East St. Louis Election Commission. There was an issue this morning about GOP poll watchers demanding to verify voter signatures. This is the first time that outside poll watchers have worked ESL, the director said, so there was confusion. The director has visited the three precincts where this was an issue, calmed everybody down, briefed everyone about the law, and notified the state's attorney. I'm told by others that the problems have been solved, and the director agreed.

So, we'll know when data is in how many votes were impacted and where these yahoos are driving to next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Most authentically American voting experience I've heard in years.

• Locked thread