Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

and would like to hear why you disagree with me here. Not combatively as I still do vote third party, but nader is really what killed it for me in terms of thinking it would do anything. Obama is practicely right of center in his actual policies, we're definitely not drifting left despite pretty popular support of the far left in 2000.
My honest opinion, Bush's reaction to 9/11 hosed this country up worse than Bin Ladin could have hoped for in his wildest dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

My honest opinion, Bush's reaction to 9/11 hosed this country up worse than Bin Ladin could have hoped for in his wildest dreams.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bush-our-long-national-nightmare-of-peace-and-pros,464/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Powercrazy posted:

I guess that's fair, I just dunno. It seems like the response to third parties stealing votes was to try to court more moderates rather than going left. From what I saw it was like dems just sort of said "gently caress it they won't be satisfied" and started to ignore us so now we have right vs centrist rather than right vs left.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Guy Fleegman posted:

Anyone who says they wouldn't is either trying way too hard or a racist.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess that's fair, I just dunno. It seems like the response to third parties stealing votes was to try to court more moderates rather than going left. From what I saw it was like dems just sort of said "gently caress it they won't be satisfied" and started to ignore us so now we have right vs centrist rather than right vs left.

Yea I mean I'm not a political savant or Machiavellian strategist, but by many accounts Bush was looking to be a weak one term president. Especially after the negative reactions when he "stole" the election, the Republicans were in a death spiral.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

Guess what happened at that spike?

Anyway, even if nationally the third-party strategy is no good, the effect is more amplified on the State level, where politics is a bit more accessible.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Powercrazy posted:

Anyway, even if nationally the third-party strategy is no good, the effect is more amplified on the State level, where politics is a bit more accessible.
lol if you think I had anyone to vote for in local elections that didn't have an R by their name. I live in eastern wa. My ballot consists of stuff everyone already knows the results to a week in advance and uncontested republicans.

democracy in action

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just had fried chicken

toonie tuesday son :canada:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Away all Goats posted:

I just had fried chicken

toonie tuesday son :canada:

Are there blocks in Canada? Can they vote?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

In before thousands of goons white knight fried chicken. Oh wait it was the first loving reply.

white.... knight.... fried.... chicken

are you 5?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

"plz do not let the deaths of thousands and the destruction of our illusion of invulnerability dampen your enthusiasm for spending money, america"

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

gently caress it: I'm celebrating with fried chicken anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I ate a Mcchicken last night after work. It was pretty good for a dollar.

• Locked thread