Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Similar to the frogs thing, there's been a huge decline in the US population of crows in the last ten to fifteen years or so.

and also bees worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
When I was little, I remember trick-or-treating starting when it got dark and ending several hours later. Last Halloween it seemed like everyone stopped coming once it got dark.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

The North Tower posted:

Last Halloween it seemed like everyone stopped coming once it got dark.

Aatrek pls leave.

Grey Skies
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i liked it when every oval office wasnt attached to their goddamn loving phones every second of the loving day, especially when they'ye at a green light and im behind them and oh no CAN;T MOVE NOW, I'M CHECKING TEH loving FACEBOOKS you loving SHITS

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Grey Skies posted:

i liked it when every oval office wasnt attached to their goddamn loving phones every second of the loving day, especially when they'ye at a green light and im behind them and oh no CAN;T MOVE NOW, I'M CHECKING TEH loving FACEBOOKS you loving SHITS

gently caress these people. none of your poo poo friends posted anything worth looking at ever especially not so frequently that you need to check it at every loving red light and even while you're driving. gently caress cell phones in cars in general. come on government make something that disables cell phones in cars completely so i dont have to keep responding to car crashes where a 16 year old girl is dead because she had to tweet some bullshit nobody in the loving world cares about god drat

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Apthous posted:

Aatrek pls leave.

:getin:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Being able to eat anything and everything without heartburn.

Man you could have deep-fried chunks of glass and I would have eaten it for breakfast with no trouble. Nowadays I can get heartburn from poo poo like oatmeal or whatever the gently caress.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

There was only one fat kid in the class.

Kids could bring peanut butter to lunch without half the class dying.

Only people with celiac disease wouldn't eat gluten.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The North Tower posted:

There was only one fat kid in the class.

the one in mine smelled of ravioli

the good old days :sigh:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The North Tower posted:

When I was little, I remember trick-or-treating starting when it got dark and ending several hours later. Last Halloween it seemed like everyone stopped coming once it got dark.
I've straight up seen people drive house to house down the block where their kid leaves the car, trick or treats, then goes back to the car. I mean poo poo I wandered around by myself before I was double digits in age but now I'm pretty sure that would get your parents arrested for negligence.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Bodegas. They seem so big when you're a kid. Now I'm like, whatever, where's the food.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Bodegas. They seem so big when you're a kid. Now I'm like, whatever, where's the food.

the stuff they sell now is really bland too, you can't get those green ninja turtle pastries filled with semen/vanila pudding or wacky novelty items or illegal fireworks

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

do kids even play with fireworks anymore

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Exhibit A:

Rap album covers from when I was a kid:

Exhibit B:

Rap album covers from when I was not a kid:

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

i am harry posted:

The giant legos didn't cost $100.

when i was a kid i noticed that lego sets are roughly $0.10 per piece. if I walk by there when i go to the store, sometimes I still check and it's stayed about the same over 20 years

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

The North Tower posted:

Kids could bring peanut butter to lunch without half the class dying.

When I was still in high school I heard of someone having a lethal reaction because she walked inside a room and someone in that class ate peanut butter in and the girl had a reaction just from being in the same room as them. I was told by co-workers that kids aren't even allowed to eat it for breakfast (or at all at some places) because they could breathe on and other student and they would have a reaction. Holy poo poo people, at that point home school your kid, for the sake of his or her life. Is there something about processed foods that make way more people have have super allergic kids? Or these kind of kids always existed, but they died as infants before medical technology got better?

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Shnag posted:

When I was still in high school I heard of someone having a lethal reaction because she walked inside a room and someone in that class ate peanut butter in and the girl had a reaction just from being in the same room as them. I was told by co-workers that kids aren't even allowed to eat it for breakfast (or at all at some places) because they could breathe on and other student and they would have a reaction. Holy poo poo people, at that point home school your kid, for the sake of his or her life. Is there something about processed foods that make way more people have have super allergic kids? Or these kind of kids always existed, but they died as infants before medical technology got better?

they mostly died very quickly because peanuts were very popular "back then"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Since I'm no longer phoneposting, here's citation on the drop in the American crow population:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_crow#West_Nile_virus

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Shnag posted:

I think it's something to do with the amount (or maybe type? not a scientist) of proteins in peanuts. I've seen things about kids not going outside messing with the amount of Vitamin D they receive as a possible explanation, too. So basically we have wimpy, sickly kids now thanks to overprotecting kids. A country of Stuarts from MadTV.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Exhibit A:

Rap album covers from when I was a kid:

Exhibit B:

Rap album covers from when I was not a kid:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

d0s posted:

remember how good rap music was before all the black guys got hooked on codeine syrup :(

That was never meant to leave Houston for a reason

RIP DJ Screw

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pizza Hut used to be a sit down place where you would go in and sit in nice booths and have really gooey, cheesy pizza brought to your table. You'd savor each slice because it was really hot and good and it was also kind of expensive. They even had a loving salad bar.

Now they put one in my hometown but it has lovely particle board tables and bad seats, and basically nobody goes in there to eat. I can't measure the pizza being worse but it sure looks like it is. About the only thing that looks familiar about it is the massive amount of dough in that poo poo. Which was fine when it was a massive, weighty slice and you only ate like two but it's bad and encourages overeating when the toppings are cut back and you're just chowing down on miles of bread.

Also there used to be restaurants in department stores, and they were a pretty reasonable place to take a break after standing around waiting for someone to try on every drat piece of clothes in the store. The food courts destroyed that pretty quickly, so I guess whether you think that is measurably better depends on how much you like food courts.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Final Fantas... no wait, nevermind, X came out a couple years before then.

d0s posted:

video games and anime were a lot better

I didn't watch anime when I was 12. I was better when I was 12.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
the black & white TVs were more blacker & whiter, songs that made the hit parade, gee our old Lasalle ran great...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Video games

story was told in the form of gameplay, fun was had in part by the imagination of the players, and also no shame when it came to playing video games all day on a rainy weekend.

now everything has a million cut scenes and dialogue so pointless you're usually given the option to skip it, you can't do fun poo poo like making warthogs spin over cliffs with grenades, everything's spoon fed to you, and if you play for more than an hour or two you can't help but feel like you're spending way too much time doing nothing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Squaresoft when I was a kid:

Squaresoft when I was not a kid:

lol

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

that "smoothie swipe" picture literally makes me angry

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

did you just ask for a smoothie swipe av?

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

We lived in Arizona, and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them, and they were long, and clear, and there were lots of stars at night. And, when it would rain, it would all turn... They were beautiful, the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. The sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire, and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere. That's neat because I used to look at them all the time, when I was little. You don't see that. You might still see them in the desert.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghaz posted:

when i was a kid i noticed that lego sets are roughly $0.10 per piece. if I walk by there when i go to the store, sometimes I still check and it's stayed about the same over 20 years

that is the metric I use to this day to judge if a lego set is worth it

they are usually still around 10 cents a piece unless it has a bunch of unique bricks or if it is a crosspromotion thing (like all the Marvel lego is a little more expensive I think but the City stuff is reasonable).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 8, 2014

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Similar to the frogs thing, there's been a huge decline in the US population of crows in the last ten to fifteen years or so.

Yeah I know it's like there's been a murder of crows.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^ :golfclap:

Companion Cube posted:

We lived in Arizona, and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them, and they were long, and clear, and there were lots of stars at night. And, when it would rain, it would all turn... They were beautiful, the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. The sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire, and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere. That's neat because I used to look at them all the time, when I was little. You don't see that. You might still see them in the desert.

:golfclap:

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Happy Bear Suit posted:

How many wallet raping Bejeweled clones does the planet need

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

my life

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

seems like people wear flip flops a lot more

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It was Coney Island, they called Coney Island the playground of the world. There was no place like it, in the whole world, like Coney Island when I was a youngster. No place in the world like it, and it was so fabulous. Now it's shrunk down to almost nothing, you see. And, uh, I still remember in my mind how things used to be, and... uh, you know, I feel very bad. But people from all over the world came here, from all over the world! It was the playground - they called it the playground of the world over here. Anyways, you see, I... uh... you know... I even got, when I was very small, I even got lost at Coney Island, but they found me... on the... on the beach. And we used to sleep on the beach here, sleep overnight. They don't do that anymore! Things changed, you see. They don't sleep anymore on the beach.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Companion Cube posted:

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
It's been a very long time since I was able to get a brown paper bag and fill it with Christmas beetles, and then, as everyone had their windows open for the heat, lob the bag into their lounge room and have the beetles explode in a nightmare of flying crawling insects. The beetles are all dead, the bags are all plastic, and the houses are all air conditioned.

Likewise, destroying every mail box in the street with bungers. No bungers, no mail boxes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In the US? Pretty much everything save technology which is a mixed bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Book-It personal pan pizzas from Pizza Hut.

• Locked thread