Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So this may be a dumb newbie set of questions. I just bought a dot a week ago and fell in love with it so I got an Echo this weekend. One is in my living room and the other in my bedroom. However I've noticed both can hear me. Do I just need to use pillow talk levels of volume or can I change the sensitivity of the obviously nosey and lonely echo in my bedroom?

Also, My living room is decked in all sorts of smart lighting and equipment. I've named the lights "lights" and the lamp "lamp" because I'm very creative. Anyway when I smaritfy my bedroom can I use the same naming convention and she just know what I'm referring to for just that room or will I have to say "Bedroom lights" and "Table lamp"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Subjunctive posted:

The devices should detect which one is closest and have it respond (they call it "ESP"). It doesn't always work, unfortunately.

Heck no it doesn't. Just this morning I was 2 feet away from the echo and the dot was down the hall in my bedroom on the far wall and they both simultaneously let me know when I spoke in a regular speaking voice that they couldn't help me because my internet was out. Also, thank you for letting me know that I need to plug in my router. You're very handy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yo I just tested it out. She's able to figure out that I'm right here instead of when my internet was out. Hey that's kind of neat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
For my birthday my wife got me a device that gives me Alexa in my car. It's pretty handy but doesn't do everything a home one does.

Also, it's pretty fun to gently caress with my wife by turning off the lights while I'm in traffic.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Subjunctive posted:

Please tell me more about this device.

http://a.co/aHLLt7V

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

fordan posted:

How's the recognition/false positive rate? I'd have to think that's not using purely local logic to hear the wake word but instead is using Amazon's cloud wake word recognition offering, and I've not heard great things about other devices that use it like the ecobee 4.

I've only had it for like a week but it hasn't hosed up yet. There is a slight delay when waking but not that bad. The only real issue is that some skills don't work yet. Most of it does, kinda random.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I noticed that I could no longer play any music I wanted on my living room Echo (I bought it like 4 weeks ago) but I could on my Echo dot (got it about 5 weeks ago, first purchase) and looked into Amazon Music Unlimited. Turns out I had an Echo sub for $3.99/month for one device and couldn't figure out how to make my living room Echo the default so I upgraded to the individual plan. Well that fixed it but now I have existential angst that I just gave up an additional $4/month to Jeff Bezos buying Comcast or something. Did I gently caress up?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Amazon announced today that they are raising Prime’s yearly subscription price to $119 a year.

gently caress. Between Amazon Prime and Amazon Music Unlimited I'm giving them over $200 a year now. I miss when we could split one up with 4 other goons.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Subjunctive posted:

Apparently the voice rec stuff is getting updated to work better with children, including higher frequency handling and (no joke) supporting “Awexa”.

Huh that's cool. My son constantly has been trying to get her to work consistently and can't but just last night she started responding to “Awexa, blah blah blah" pretty well. I guess they're already doing it?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know another goon has bought this and said how good it is so you might be interested.

http://twitter.com/amazonecho/status/999354464938143763

The more I've gotten used to both it and the home unit, it's just ok. It's super delayed sometimes like when telling her to change music tracks. All depends on your cell phone connection and Sprint sucks so YMMV

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have not gotten the new Echo but I did get the new Echo Dot. It sounds way better than the old one. I'd say it sounds like 8/10 of a full size Echo so I'd have to assume the new Echo is a pretty decent upgrade.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The only skills I regularly use is ask the weather and she will tell my son a bedtime story. For me I've converted all of my main lighting to smart bulbs and put that poo poo on timers because kids are goddamn idiots who leave lights on all the time. They're now on timers so they turn off when they go to school or go to sleep. I'm like my father except I can check to see if the lights are on from work. I'm the worst. Also it's super fun to track your energy consumption if you're a super dork who is cheap like me.

Also I have a routine "Alexa, good night" where she turns off my fan, all my lights and my TV. Pretty handy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Snowy posted:

My old man dad surprisingly asked for an Alexa for his birthday. The current deal of $99 for a 2nd gen Echo and 3rd gen Dot seems pretty good to me but I don’t know poo poo about Echos.

Should I wait for Black Friday or just get this deal now? Don’t know how likely prices are to plummet

Echo (2nd Gen) + Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - Charcoal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQD8WHD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sR55BbY9BRAG4

That is an excellent deal. I mean, there may be a better deal coming up but for your dad to give right in that's a great start.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Lately my echos have been having a hard time. When I ask her to
"Turn off Alan's lights"
she comes back "I'm sorry there are multiple devices with that name, which one do you mean"
"Alan's lights"
"Ok" and turns them off.

Anyone else? This has happened with multiple rooms and only started in the past few weeks.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

stevewm posted:

I've always had problems with device/group names that are plural..

i.e. I have a device called Left Lamp and one called Right Lamp, and also a group called Lamps. (which contains both of those lamps)

Unless I really put an emphasis on the S, it will always ask "which device?" So I basically have to say "Turn on lampssSSSSSS" for it to pick it up correctly.

Google Assistant/Home is no better... If it doesn't get Lamps right, it will instead assume I meant every device with the word Lamp in it, and turn them all on.

I've not bothered to fix it.. :effort: Just got used to hissing while saying "lamps".

Oh snap I wonder if that's the issue since they're 3 wifi lights in the same fixture instead of one controller at the switch. Great. Alexa uses parseltongue.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone else run into this problem? I have my echo plugged into a speaker and for some reason she cuts off her first words.

"Alexa, what's the weather"
"....in Canton, GA the weather is blah blah blah"

Anyone know of a fix? If I remove the speaker from the equation she works just fine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Myok posted:

What kind of speaker? Is it possible it might be going into power-saving mode until the Echo sends a signal to it, and it takes a moment to wake up?

It's an OontZ Angle 3. I think it's either the 3.5mm cable connected to it is bad or it goes into some sort of sleep mode because when I changed it over to bluetooth mode it works just fine. I'm assuming bluetooth mode keeps it "awake" as it were.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Amazon asserts that the 3rd-gen Dot is 70-percent louder than its second-gen counterpart.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Wait, what? We have to literally aim our heads and sometimes even cover one side of our mouths so that the upstairs Dot doesn't hear what we say to the Show in our kitchen (which is adjacent to our family room).

Your house is weird then. It's only happened to me like once or twice.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

Amazon has an Alexa-only deal

In my cart there was a secondary 30% off coupon and I just checked out and got the plug for free. So, give it a try?

Where's this from? I added it and it's in my cart for $24.99? I may just not be eligible since I already have an amazon smart plug and know how much better it is than the off brand ones.

Edit: "If you activated your first Echo between 12/24/2018 12:00am PT - 12/28/2018 11:59pm PT, you should have gotten an email from Amazon today."

Bummer. Super good deal though.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 24, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Very big bummer. I have several Wemo plugs and they work great but I was interested in how the Amazon ones would do and $5 would be a great price to try it.

They're great. I've got a couple Etekcity ones and they'll very rarely lose their connection. The amazon one I own never has and to add it to your setup you just scan a QR code on the box. It was really easy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

Can we expect even better prices on Alexa devices on Prime Day? I'd like to pick up a Spot for my wife if it dips under $100.

Probably. Prime day for the past few years has been Buy-Echo-Devices-And-Accessories-Day so I'd expect it to be the same. No better than Cyber Monday though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone tried the Echo sub? Is it any good? Got any other recommendations on a device that would actually fill a decent sized living room with actual good sound including some bass that pairs with Alexa? Or is my only real hope to replace my aging receiver with an Alexa compatible one and replace my busted rear end subwoofer? I don't have a grand lying around so that's a "one day" project unfortunately.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nope

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Have you tried asking nicely? Maybe she doesn't like you.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm sure most of y'all know but today is Prime Day which is basically "Amazon Echo day"
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892555
I got an Amazon Smart plug for $5. You can do it if you order through Alexa. I'm at work but still did it through my Alexa app and bam! The Amazon smart plugs are hella good compared to off brand fwiw.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I can only say I also own Etekcity
https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-M...=gateway&sr=8-4
I've had to reset them about one or two times each in the past 14 months? They're also a pain in the rear end to reset. They are cheap though, I'll give them that.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just did it and it worked like a charm.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't know about the show 5 but maybe try whisper mode?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bet you could maybe do it with an echo button. I don't know if you could set up that weird of a routine though. I completely agree that it's dumb not to have a button on a device that's basically the ultimate alarm clock. WTF Amazon?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

keeping aware of visitors once I get the RING installed.

Did this with my spot and it's great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Endless Mike posted:

Spying on people you invite into your home is weird as gently caress.

I think you misunderstand what the Ring is for. I don't want to answer solicitors or Jehovah's witnesses.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Endless Mike posted:

I did misunderstand!

Now my MIL has a camera set up in the living room pointed at the door (and the entire living room) in addition to her Ring and I do find that weird as gently caress. She's a racist who chose to move into a predominantly black neighborhood so she thinks literally everybody is just waiting to rob her (Of what, idk) but I personally think she is nosy as gently caress and checks the SD card after people like her sister visit (they constantly talk poo poo behind each other's backs).

I hate it! (not really a big fan of her either but yay family?)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok this may be the dumbest thing said in this thread, I don't know. Yesterday I discovered Alexa understands "and". "Alexa, turn on the lamp and turn on the fan" does both. For the past year and a half I've said them as two commands. Again, may be dumb but I never tried it until now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/25/20883751/amazon-alexa-voice-languages-natural-bi-lingual-frustration-support-new-features

All the new features coming to Alexa, including a new voice, frustration mode, and Samuel L. Jackson
Also new: bilingual support, and more troubleshooting features like ‘frustration detection’

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man, when Rhyno said glasses I got all excited because I thought they just unveiled Alexa AR but no, it's just glasses with a speaker/mic combo. Man, I don't need that poo poo, I have a phone.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nice! Also I am totally going to get the Echo Glow. My son is autistic and super duper relies on routines and follows Alexa's reminders to a T about things like brushing his teeth on time and whatnot. This thing will add color to those reminders. Pretty neat!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So they're gonna have Samuel L. Jackson's voice available for Alexa by the end of the year. I don't really want to pay for that although it'd be funny. What I really want is for her to sound like Robby The Robot, drat it!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Today I learned that the robot from Lost In Space was in fact, not Robby The Robot. I want the Lost In Space voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone know if you can get power usage data out of Amazon Smart Plugs?