Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
sorry mate, you got the 'tism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Autism is Downs Syndrome but you dont have the hosed up moon face. Same poo poo though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Welcome to Autistralia or as we like to call it, Downs-Under

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Harime Nui posted:

Welcome to Autistralia or as we like to call it, Downs-Under

People from your country are better looking than people from mine but crazier too. It's probably easier to get laid though, so worth it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

well on the bright side it means the US will get a functional train system in the near future?

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

etalian posted:

well on the bright side it means the US will get a functional train system in the new future?

lmao

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yaldabaoth posted:

In the natural world animals treat making eye contact the same as making an aggressive threat so I don't know why the gently caress humans outright demand it
basic rundown : staring at random people in public = weird

not having to nervously pretend something far off in the distance is more interesting than a person you are having a conversation with = normal social interaction

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

etalian posted:

well on the bright side it means the US will get a functional train system in the near future?

the only thing people are more afraid of in this country than eye contact is mass transit

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What? Here in the South everyone looks each other in the eye and you're considered weird and weak for avoiding eye contact

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Tsinava posted:

We're like the only nation on earth where people purposely avoid eye contact with each other. It really weirds foreigners out actually lmao. It gives me major Autism feels.

Also there are other things that make us seem autistic, such as the rest of our history and culture.

Autism Pride!!! God Bless The USA!

People get like that when their country has secret police that wiretap all of their communications.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tsinava posted:

it's literally impossible to make friends with anyone in portland. people will give you their phone number immediately so you'll stop talking to them

Yeah if you don't bring friends with you if you move to Oregon, good loving luck making new ones.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Mustang posted:

What? Here in the South everyone looks each other in the eye and you're considered weird and weak for avoiding eye contact

i grew up in a small town where you waved at every vehicle you passed and people sitting on their front porch. we even had one constable that didnt have gun running things.

it was like mayberry but with more stealing and lovely weed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ramsus posted:

Yeah if you don't bring friends with you if you move to Oregon, good loving luck making new ones.

moved to oregon from new york and yeah this has been pretty true.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Tsinava posted:

People from your country are better looking than people from mine but crazier too. It's probably easier to get laid though, so worth it.

Australia is only slightly less fatter on average than Americans. Actually one thing every english speaking country has in common is they're full of fat people

also you west coasters must be a bunch of loving weirdos

OP must be pretty dumb since its the rest of the world that avoids eye contact due to weird social hierarchy poo poo

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Staring people directly in the eye for extended periods first shows that you're listening, and then that you're an aggressive psycho murder person (i.e. Southern)

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
This can apply to the Southern Hemisphere when referring to Australia specifically

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I knew I shouldn't have got a flu shot

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ramsus posted:

We're nice in Salem! Come swing by anytiii:unsmigghh:

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
um...everyone calling me a dumb uncultured retard is right! no objections here!!

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
also when i said aussies were better looking than americans i meant they had nicer looking faces i didn't really know anything about the fat people. i assume all developed countries have lots of fat retards.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

wow talk about nonsensical scales and pulling projections out of your rear end in a top hat

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Eumenides posted:

Staring people directly in the eye for extended periods first shows that you're listening, and then that you're an aggressive psycho murder person (i.e. Southern)

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Amateur Saboteur posted:

inability to maintain eye-contact is actually a symptom linked directly to constant masturbation and/or low self-esteem

How do you explain my ability to masturbate in public while making nothing but eye contact to stay hard?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

uh actually we're just the united states of sapiosexuals, hth

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

Tsinava posted:

We're like the only nation on earth where people purposely avoid eye contact with each other. It really weirds foreigners out actually lmao. It gives me major Autism feels.

Also there are other things that make us seem autistic, such as the rest of our history and culture.

Autism Pride!!! God Bless The USA!e
Not necessarily the friendliest country to foreigners, but Americans aren't known to being shy compared to most countries. Like they're the exact opposite and make foreigners really uncomfortable, especially Japanese. Most of Europe and East Asia are shyer, or are you saying because America is autistic everyone else has Super Autism. I honestly don't know where you're getting this anecdotal evidence from... oh wait, you're projecting. NEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this particular type of aut is just shame mixed with no idea on how to connect. cultures splinter and branch and nobody knows how to interact with each other

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lichy posted:

wow talk about nonsensical scales and pulling projections out of your rear end in a top hat
au is gold, right? autcoin can only go up uP UP

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Amateur Saboteur posted:

inability to maintain eye-contact is actually a symptom linked directly to constant masturbation and/or low self-esteem

cite your sources!

Mr. Snuggles
Sep 16, 2009

Orange Sunlight filters through the Dusk. The world turns and turns purple.

Sufficient posted:

Not necessarily the friendliest country to foreigners, but Americans aren't known to being shy compared to most countries. Like they're the exact opposite and make foreigners really uncomfortable, especially Japanese. Most of Europe and East Asia are shyer, or are you saying because America is autistic everyone else has Super Autism. I honestly don't know where you're getting this anecdotal evidence from... oh wait, you're projecting. NEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD

I think it's sort of this strange dichotomy Americans believe in which means you can treat strangers however you want. You might as well be really nice because they might be important or something and you definitely want into their business. Then there's the south who are somewhat less judgy than northerners but less tolerant too. I like to smile at strangers; It's my god given right as an autistic stater.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
i also smile at strangers but then i immediately look away just to make sure they know that i don't want to violently rape them or anything!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In America there are people who actually believe saying "Hello" to a stranger is sexual harassment, so eye contact is probably like rape.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Sufficient posted:

This is true op is a dumbshit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i have to make the difficult decision of deciding to cross the street when following a woman because i do not want her to feel uncomfortable but what's this? a conundrum? there is a black man on the same sidewalk walking towards us! if i cross the street, that makes it seem like im a racist! (which i, emphatically, AM NOT). but this problem is FURTHER compounded by realizing that she might ALSO cross the street when she sees this new person approaching either because A: he is black (this is racist and it IS BAD) or B: he is a man (statistically MORE likely to perpetrate sexual assault [because he is a man and not, I REPEAT, because he is BLACK which again, is RACIST which i am not]). If she does this, it is doubly unfortunate because i will seem BOTH RACIST and a potential RAPIST, making everyone uncomfortable but most of all myself for failing to behave in a manner that is congruent with the values system of the country i inhabit. But, if this course of events comes to pass, i cannot extricate myself from it by crossing BACK across the street because then it will DEFINITELY seem like i am racist (not). Furthermore, I am a brain in a vat (this is AUTISM) and an intermittently active cartesian demon is deceiving me in such a manner that i cannot ever be sure i am being deceived.

What am I to do?!

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Frostwerks posted:

i have to make the difficult decision of deciding to cross the street when following a woman because i do not want her to feel uncomfortable but what's this? a conundrum? there is a black man on the same sidewalk walking towards us! if i cross the street, that makes it seem like im a racist! (which i, emphatically, AM NOT). but this problem is FURTHER compounded by realizing that she might ALSO cross the street when she sees this new person approaching either because A: he is black (this is racist and it IS BAD) or B: he is a man (statistically MORE likely to perpetrate sexual assault [because he is a man and not, I REPEAT, because he is BLACK which again, is RACIST which i am not]). If she does this, it is doubly unfortunate because i will seem BOTH RACIST and a potential RAPIST, making everyone uncomfortable but most of all myself for failing to behave in a manner that is congruent with the values system of the country i inhabit. But, if this course of events comes to pass, i cannot extricate myself from it by crossing BACK across the street because then it will DEFINITELY seem like i am racist (not). Furthermore, I am a brain in a vat (this is AUTISM) and an intermittently active cartesian demon is deceiving me in such a manner that i cannot ever be sure i am being deceived.

What am I to do?!

every time this happens to me I cross the street while screaming "I have autism!" over and over so they'll understand.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Mustang posted:

Can confirm this. Yous a bitch what can't even look a man in his eye. I thought Yankees just avoided eye contact because they're all assholes and eye contact opened the possibility of having to deal with each other being assholes.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Southerners started to stare people in the eye after the Civil War because it was preferable to looking at their burned homes and empty plantations.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
maybe southerners looked people in the eye because after the civil war they no longer had homes to perpetually masturbate in

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Nordic countries definitely the most artistic out of all Nations.

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Literal Carehaver posted:

sorry mate, you got the 'tism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TISM

Maaaaate!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Tsinava posted:

it's literally impossible to make friends with anyone in portland. people will give you their phone number immediately so you'll stop talking to them

Is Portlandia accurate?

• Locked thread