Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

300 and the matrix are great examples of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Blade II, Priest, Underworld Director's Cut, most stuff with vampires actually...

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the fifth element

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
300 is dumb as gently caress but there really isn't all too much great about it. The matrix is a legit good movie you can go gently caress yourself.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just see a bunch of good movies is there some kind of sperg standard that if it isn't a literal work of non fiction it's a "dumb" concept or am i just gay?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
starship troopers, ace ventura: when nature calls

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the matrix is about a computer programmer that uses kung fu in a simulation of reality to liberate humanity from futuristic robots. that's the dumbest loving premise for a movie i've ever heard

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Stoic Commie posted:

starship troopers,

oval office

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sweet Tea posted:

the matrix is about a computer programmer that uses kung fu in a simulation of reality to liberate humanity. that's the dumbest loving premise for a movie i've ever heard

Forrest Gump is about a retard who somehow is the single most successful man in contemporary history

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Star Wars is about a space wizard who wants to bang his sister and save the universe

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this thread will be contentious because movies like starship troopers, the fifth element, etc are pulpy but i wouldnt call them dumb. but yet they are great. could some real film critic come in and help us define the terms?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

the fifth element

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
somebody get cd in here "stat"

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everything is stupid when you compartmentalize it and explain it in simple terms. The Big Lebowski is about a former hippie and a violent vietnam war vet who gently caress up

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Sweet Tea posted:

the matrix is about a computer programmer that uses kung fu in a simulation of reality to liberate humanity. that's the dumbest loving premise for a movie i've ever heard

why did you put down your Faulkner novel to post on the internet

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

every Nic Cage movie is a masterpiece, somehow

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

blade runner is some retarded retread film noir set in a canned future where a guy fights some robots and figures out the robots are ~*~*~just as human as he is~*~*~

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
JP3

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

old dog child posted:

every Nic Cage movie is a masterpiece, somehow

yeah this i agree with.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TEAYCHES posted:

this thread will be contentious because movies like starship troopers, the fifth element, etc are pulpy but i wouldnt call them dumb. but yet they are great. could some real film critic come in and help us define the terms?

I define a movie as "dumb," if it has what's typically called The Idiot Plot. That is, the story relies on a character or characters doing things that are bewilderingly illogical or against their own interest. The iconic example is probably when the villain has the hero in his clutches and, instead of just shooting him, leaves him alone to die in an easily escaped death trap with just one or no guards remaining. This in no way means the movie is necessarily bad. Plenty of movies may be in terms of story downright boneheaded but perfectly enjoyable.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Time Bandits.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

saw interstellar last night, it took a turn for the super dumb at the part when matthew mccounaghey went inside the black hole

enjoyed the rest of it a lot though

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Feranon posted:

saw interstellar last night, it took a turn for the super dumb at the part when matthew mccounaghey went inside the black hole

Theres a black hole!

drat you. I was gonna watch that. :argh:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

watched this the other night. was good but i'm not sure why

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Feranon posted:

I saw it last night too and my take is pretty much the same

the cast and acting is great, good special effects, but the story is lame toward the end

worth seeing when it's on Netflix

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I would argue that a cabin in the woods was dumb but also kind of entertaining

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Fandyien posted:

watched this the other night. was good but i'm not sure why

The new one was kinda fun too.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
bram stoker's dracula

by almost any rational metric this is an awful and dumb movie but gary oldman alone makes it cool as heck

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

psyopmonkey posted:

The new one was kinda fun too.

i have a really tough time believing anyone can do a legit remake of a movie that is good, at least partially, just because of how '80s it is

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i think snowpiercer is another good example.

Panty Saluter posted:

bram stoker's dracula

by almost any rational metric this is an awful and dumb movie but gary oldman alone makes it cool as heck

also yes this is exactly the kind of movie i'm talking about.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

mookface posted:

I would argue that a cabin in the woods was dumb but also kind of entertaining

agreed, I went into it thinking I would hate it but ended up having a good time with it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
speed racer was the first movie i saw on blu ray and i was high as gently caress so id say speed racer

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sweet Tea posted:

i think snowpiercer is another good example.

also yes this is exactly the kind of movie i'm talking about.

snowpiercer was really weird. i had no idea what to expect and it wasn't bad, per se, nor was it particularly good. but it was insanely high budget and really oddball so it didn't end up being disappointing or anything

tbh i have no idea how to evaluate the snowpiercer experience and that's a plus kind of cus i hardly feel viscerally negative about it or anything

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i actually found myself enjoying it but at the same time it takes itself really seriously which is loving stupid

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The Crow

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sweet Tea posted:

i actually found myself enjoying it but at the same time it takes itself really seriously which is loving stupid

yea i think a little levity would've gone a long way in snowpiercer, particularly around the middle part

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

yeah, that qualifies

adding that to my netflix list now

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

balls of fury

billy madison

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010