Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Desired AFC and NFC Championship Game participants? (Pick two per conference)
Arizona (NFC)
Baltimore (AFC)
Buffalo (AFC)
Carolina (NFC)
Cincinnati (AFC)
Cleveland (AFC)
Dallas (NFC)
Denver (AFC)
Detroit (NFC)
Green Bay (NFC)
Houston (AFC)
Indianapolis (AFC)
Kansas City (AFC)
Miami (AFC)
Minnesota (NFC)
New England (AFC)
New Orleans (NFC)
Philadelphia (NFC)
Pittsburgh (AFC)
San Diego (AFC)
San Francisco (NFC)
Seattle (NFC)
View Results

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

To be honest, I felt Baltimore was the best team in football the year before.

It felt like New England was pretty much coasting in on Home Field advantage and having a HOF QB. The rest of their team was pretty poo poo.

Didn't feel that way, it was exactly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the 2011 Ravens were a better team, but the 2012 Ravens just had a hell of a postseason. Flacco went all Joe loving Flacco (seriously, the dude was on FIRE) and welp.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
If we hadn't poo poo the bed in spectacular fashion against the Jaguars we probably end up in the Superbowl. But whatever, I'm glad it happened the way it did because facing the Giants franchise again would have been boring.

Firing Cam Cameron is basically the reason we won it the next year. Caldwell wasn't great either but he was willing to use Boldin in the slot which Cameron refused to ever do, so all of a sudden we started producing there. And like was said the O-line was playing amazing football in the postseason. The defense stepped up a bit from dog poo poo to maybe passable and that was what did gave us the chance we needed.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

If we hadn't poo poo the bed in spectacular fashion against the Jaguars we probably end up in the Superbowl. But whatever, I'm glad it happened the way it did because facing the Giants franchise again would have been boring.

Firing Cam Cameron is basically the reason we won it the next year. Caldwell wasn't great either but he was willing to use Boldin in the slot which Cameron refused to ever do, so all of a sudden we started producing there. And like was said the O-line was playing amazing football in the postseason. The defense stepped up a bit from dog poo poo to maybe passable and that was what did gave us the chance we needed.

Aside from the interceptions in the Denver game, the defense was terrible. The only game in that playoff run where they stepped up was that beautiful AFCCG.

It was crazy how much better the OL looked the moment Osemele got moved from tackle to guard. KO and Yanda is such an awesome guard duo.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

Aside from the interceptions in the Denver game, the defense was terrible. The only game in that playoff run where they stepped up was that beautiful AFCCG.

It was crazy how much better the OL looked the moment Osemele got moved from tackle to guard. KO and Yanda is such an awesome guard duo.

The defense was better than they were at points in the regular season with giving up 200 yards to RBs two games in a row(that we somehow managed to win in both games) and losing to Charlie Batch at home. Aside from the Denver game in the postseason they were pretty alright. The SB they weren't doing bad either till Ngata went down.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I thought Ngata was so injured that he was mediocre that year. I got to see how completely wrong I was the moment he went down and the 49ers immediately started gashing the Ravens on the ground.

Also yeah the 2011 team was rad as gently caress. Suggs was really loving good that year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Lot of talk about a team about to get boat raced on Sunday

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

Yeah, I thought Ngata was so injured that he was mediocre that year. I got to see how completely wrong I was the moment he went down and the 49ers immediately started gashing the Ravens on the ground.

Well for most of the year you were right. But like I said the whole unit played a bit better in the playoffs. But this year has seen Ngata finally return to his old form. Maybe having a much deeper line has caused that.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Did you happen to see the NFC South boat race.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had like 4 days experience as a coxswain, but it seems like missing a pier isn't a tough thing to do. What the gently caress happened?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, the 2011 Ravens were a better team, but the 2012 Ravens just had a hell of a postseason. Flacco went all Joe loving Flacco (seriously, the dude was on FIRE) and welp.

My favorite part of that postseason was after the Broncos game, Boldin was asked about the upcoming AFCCG @ New England next week. His only quote:

"We'll win."

It was such a fun run, a lot of people thought Joe was coasting on Ray Rice and a good defense, however that year the defense was awful and Ray Rice was getting shut down in nearly every playoff game (Pierce was the better runner, which is why Ravens fans are sour on him, he had a badass run and we thought he was going to be The Guy some day).

Then Joe just catches fire. He did get lucky on a few dropped INTs, though.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 28, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

You want to put an avatar bet on that?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Normally I'd be pretty confident about the Ravens at home but SA2K has good intuition on what SD is going to do on a given week. So I kind of expect us to lose now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kawalimus posted:

Normally I'd be pretty confident about the Ravens at home but SA2K has good intuition on what SD is going to do on a given week. So I kind of expect us to lose now.

lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no faith in the Ravens sans-Jimmy. Webb is a good corner but the rest of the secondary is... Suspect.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Sorry guys, but the 2012 squad was the best RZ defense in the league so calling the defense poo poo is a slight stretch especially once they got healthy

And don't go citing Jason witten making Ellerbe his bitch to me

The crabtree play wasn't a hold
Ed reeds hit on chris johnson wasn't dirty
Goose crushing gannon owned
Ray lewis didn't kill anyone

:smugbird:

Relevant edit: Rivers is going to either complete every pass for 20 yards or get sacked there won't be any inbetween

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There is always a good reason to watch this.

I loving love Ray Lewis even though he's a division rival, monumental hypocrite and probably an accomplice to murder. I honestly don't know why.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

I have no faith in the Ravens sans-Jimmy. Webb is a good corner but the rest of the secondary is... Suspect.

NFL Coaches love balance for no good reason so the Chargers will blow downs on rushing plays just enough to keep them from getting the 30 or more points they'll need to beat Baltimore at home. Close game, unfolds a lot like the Monday night did.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I would put $50 on the NFC South winning the Super Bowl if Vegas had odds on it. The return would probably be pretty massive.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Webb is a major liability and Levine (a safety converted this year to a corner) and Gorrer are playing better than him.

If Will Hill keeps it up we might have an actual player in the secondary that can do stuff. Either way, the front 7 is loaded as gently caress so the secondary can make its mistakes since they've been tightening up in the red zone like they were in 2012.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

I would put $50 on the NFC South winning the Super Bowl if Vegas had odds on it. The return would probably be pretty massive.

Currently:

Saints 30:1
Panthers 60:1
Falcons 50:1
Bucs 200:1

For reference, Patriots are 3:1 and Packers are 5:1

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I'm obviously confused by the tie-breakers, but does the head-to-head win by Dallas against the Seahawks mean nothing as long as another team has the same record as well?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NicelyNice posted:

I'm obviously confused by the tie-breakers, but does the head-to-head win by Dallas against the Seahawks mean nothing as long as another team has the same record as well?

Depends if the tie is in the division or out of it. If the tie is with someone in your division you resolve that first, otherwise it goes to conference record.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

axeil posted:

Depends if the tie is in the division or out of it. If the tie is with someone in your division you resolve that first, otherwise it goes to conference record.

Assuming that third team is outside the division (so not San Fran), it also depends if that 3rd team played either of Dallas or Seattle.

If there's a three-way tie and one team won vs both the others they win the tie-breaker. If one team lost vs both the others they are eliminated and it's down to a two-way tie-breaker. If it was a win vs one and loss vs the other you to the next tie-breakers.

Most likely non-NFCE/non-NFCW candidates to tie both Dallas and Seattle are Detroit and Green Bay. Detroit played Arizona and the Giants, soso that could not use H2H results. Green Bay played Seattle and Philadelphia, so in a Dallas-Green Bay-Seattle 3-way tie the H2H analysis would be:

Green Bay: Lost to Seattle
Dallas: Won vs Seattle
Seattle: Lost to Dallas, Won vs Green Bay

Nothing is resolved, move to next tie-breaker.

So, end result is Dallas' win over Seattle is meaningless in any three-way tie (aside from the impact on common opponent and conference records).

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

pre:
Tm. Rec. Div C.O NFC Wk10 Wk11 Wk12 Wk13 Wk14 Wk15 Wk16 Wk17  Divisional Results
--- ---- --- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- --------------------
Phi 09-3 3-0 5-2 5-3 Wcar Lg.b Wten Wdal vSea vDal @Was @NYG Dal-W? NYG-W? Was-W?
Dal 08-4 2-2 5-2 5-4 Wjax .bye Wnyg Lphi @Chi @Phi vInd @Was NYG-WW Phi-L? Was-L?

Common Opponents: NFC West, AFC South

Eliminated: New York, Washington (Wk12)
Main Scenario 1 - Philadelphia wins vs Dallas in Week 15

Philadelphia clinches if they win one more game OR Dallas loses one more game.

Dallas clinches if they win @Chi & vInd & @Was and Philly loses vSea @ @Was & @NYG.

Main Scenario 2 - Dallas wins vs Philadelphia in Week 15

pre:
Tm. Rec. Div C.O NFC Wk10 Wk11 Wk12 Wk13 Wk14 Wk15 Wk16 Wk17  Divisional Results
--- ---- --- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- --------------------
Phi 09-4 3-1 5-2 5-4 Wcar Lg.b Wten Wdal vSea Ldal @Was @NYG Dal-WL NYG-W? Was-W?
Dal 09-4 3-2 5-2 6-4 Wjax .bye Wnyg Lphi @Chi Wphi vInd @Was NYG-WW Phi-LW Was-L?
Philadelphia clinches with:

1) Phi wins (vSea AND @Was AND @NYG) [clinch via NFCE record, 5-1 vs 4-2 at best];
2) Phi wins (@Was AND @NYG) AND any Dal loss [clinch via NFCE record, 5-1 vs 4-2 at best];
3) Phi wins (vSea AND either (@Was OR @NYG)) AND Dal loss either (v@Was) [clinch via NFCE record, 4-2 vs 3-3];
4) Phi wins (vSea AND either (@Was OR @NYG)) AND Dal loss either (vInd) [clinch via C.O record, 6-2 vs 5-3];
5) Phi wins (vSea AND either (@Was OR @NYG)) AND Dal loss @Chi AND Phi wins SoV tie-breaker;
6) Phi win either (@Was OR @NYG) AND Dal losses (@Was AND either (@Chi OR vInd)) [clinch via NFCE record, 4-2 vs 3-3];
7) Phi win vSea AND Dal losses (@Was AND either (@Chi OR vInd) [clinch via C.O record, 6-2 vs 5-3].

Dallas can win far fewer tie-breakers; when they do it's because of a loss @Chi wouldn't hurt their Div or C.O record, whereas any Philly loss hurts one or the other.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

We are going to go 4-1 in this last 5 game stretch and will lose to Denver because that's the game I'm going to

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

We are going to go 4-1 in this last 5 game stretch and will lose to Denver because that's the game I'm going to

How is your defense? Especially the front 7.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
What kinda surprises me is that the Eagles can clinch as early as week 14 if they beat the Seahawks and then the Cowboys. That would make them the first to clinch right?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

axeil posted:

What kinda surprises me is that the Eagles can clinch as early as week 14 if they beat the Seahawks and then the Cowboys. That would make them the first to clinch right?

I think the Colts can clinch in week 14 as well, but it depends on the Texans losing to the Jaguars and Titans and the Colts winning against Washington and the Browns.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

How is your defense? Especially the front 7.

Getting healthy, finally. Corey Liuget is great, Melvin Ingram and Jerry Attouchu are back from injury which helps a lot and lets Dwight Freeny go back to being a rotation player where he's more effective. Donald Butler and Manti Teo are playing great in the middle.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Getting healthy, finally. Corey Liuget is great, Melvin Ingram and Jerry Attouchu are back from injury which helps a lot and lets Dwight Freeny go back to being a rotation player where he's more effective. Donald Butler and Manti Teo are playing great in the middle.

Jarret Johnson any good this season?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sour Diesel posted:

Jarret Johnson any good this season?

He's been better now that he's not playing every down.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I miss JJ, really good run stopper on the edge. Thankfully Courtney Upshaw is pretty much JJ 2.0

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember that Ross can't say anything negative about the Chargers anymore so take that with a grain of salt.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was kind of looking at who's represented the AFC and the NFC in the Super Bowl since 2000, and well...the lack of parity in the AFC is pretty incredible, and the amount of it in the NFC is pretty incredible when you think about it.

In 14 seasons it seems that the only teams to really consistently be in the conversation have been the Steelers, Patriots, Colts/Broncos (Manning led teams), and the Ravens. Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have been in all but THREE of the past the past 14 Super Bowls.

In 14 seasons in the NFC? Things are a bit more sporadic. Only Eli Manning and Kurt Warner are the only multiple NFC Championship winners (Warner winning it with two different teams). Only the Giants, and Seahawks seem to be the only repeat winners. (Giants being in the Super Bowl 3 times, Seahawks winning it twice.)

So really...as a fan of an AFC team, I have to ask. How many years do you think Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have left in the league? It would seem that once their oligopoly is done? We'd be able to see a bit more parity in our conference.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was kind of looking at who's represented the AFC and the NFC in the Super Bowl since 2000, and well...the lack of parity in the AFC is pretty incredible, and the amount of it in the NFC is pretty incredible when you think about it.

In 14 seasons it seems that the only teams to really consistently be in the conversation have been the Steelers, Patriots, Colts/Broncos (Manning led teams), and the Ravens. Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have been in all but THREE of the past the past 14 Super Bowls.

In 14 seasons in the NFC? Things are a bit more sporadic. Only Eli Manning and Kurt Warner are the only multiple NFC Championship winners (Warner winning it with two different teams). Only the Giants, and Seahawks seem to be the only repeat winners. (Giants being in the Super Bowl 3 times, Seahawks winning it twice.)

So really...as a fan of an AFC team, I have to ask. How many years do you think Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have left in the league? It would seem that once their oligopoly is done? We'd be able to see a bit more parity in our conference.

I think something might be a bit funky with your data unless I'm just struggling to comprehend what you mean by 'win'. The Seahawks have only won once and Kurt Warner only won with the Rams.

edit: Oh ok, you were talking NFCCG. It was me struggling.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well Andrew Luck is right there, already living up to all the pre-draft hype and poised to be Manning for the next 15 years. What will inevitably happen is that one of Steelers/Pats/Broncos will also find the next HoF QB and the AFC will laugh in the face of parity for another 15 years.

That or Manning and Brady don't get any worse and play for another 10 years just for the hell of it.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

FuzzySkinner posted:

there's nothing that Peyton does now that he won't be able to do when he's 45 so it might come down to how long he wants to keep playing for motivational/competitive/personal reasons

I think Brady retires well before Manning and Roethlisberger might too tbh

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Chifley posted:

That or Manning and Brady don't get any worse and play for another 10 years just for the hell of it.

Brady has already said he's doing this "until he sucks", but Manning seems to be a little worse for wear.

Garroppolo might be the latest in a long line of Mallets to wait for his turn and never get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
So what's the best hope for the niners to make it to the playoffs? It looks like division is possible if ARI drops every game but SEA and that's the only game SEA wins from here out. Seems unlikely.
Is it possible to get a wildcard spot at 10-6 or do the niners need to win out for any chance?

• Locked thread