Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Desired AFC and NFC Championship Game participants? (Pick two per conference)
Arizona (NFC)
Baltimore (AFC)
Buffalo (AFC)
Carolina (NFC)
Cincinnati (AFC)
Cleveland (AFC)
Dallas (NFC)
Denver (AFC)
Detroit (NFC)
Green Bay (NFC)
Houston (AFC)
Indianapolis (AFC)
Kansas City (AFC)
Miami (AFC)
Minnesota (NFC)
New England (AFC)
New Orleans (NFC)
Philadelphia (NFC)
Pittsburgh (AFC)
San Diego (AFC)
San Francisco (NFC)
Seattle (NFC)
View Results

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can we go 1982 up in this playoffs?

8 of the best team in each conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Rahim Moore robbed you of that more than that play. But there was a good possibility the Broncos won that game. 49ers were a far superior team and should have won anyway, but didn't.

To be honest, I felt Baltimore was the best team in football the year before.

It felt like New England was pretty much coasting in on Home Field advantage and having a HOF QB. The rest of their team was pretty poo poo.

(Also Green Bay was better then New York, but Eli went on one of his bullshit runs).

Should have been you guys and New York/Green Bay the year before, and then Denver V. SF the year after.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was kind of looking at who's represented the AFC and the NFC in the Super Bowl since 2000, and well...the lack of parity in the AFC is pretty incredible, and the amount of it in the NFC is pretty incredible when you think about it.

In 14 seasons it seems that the only teams to really consistently be in the conversation have been the Steelers, Patriots, Colts/Broncos (Manning led teams), and the Ravens. Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have been in all but THREE of the past the past 14 Super Bowls.

In 14 seasons in the NFC? Things are a bit more sporadic. Only Eli Manning and Kurt Warner are the only multiple NFC Championship winners (Warner winning it with two different teams). Only the Giants, and Seahawks seem to be the only repeat winners. (Giants being in the Super Bowl 3 times, Seahawks winning it twice.)

So really...as a fan of an AFC team, I have to ask. How many years do you think Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have left in the league? It would seem that once their oligopoly is done? We'd be able to see a bit more parity in our conference.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Chifley posted:

Well Andrew Luck is right there, already living up to all the pre-draft hype and poised to be Manning for the next 15 years. What will inevitably happen is that one of Steelers/Pats/Broncos will also find the next HoF QB and the AFC will laugh in the face of parity for another 15 years.

That or Manning and Brady don't get any worse and play for another 10 years just for the hell of it.

The Broncos and Steelers are well...consistent.

Denver was able to stumble into the playoffs after Elway hung up his cleats and before Manning blessed them with his presence. Pittsburgh? Same thing. Honestly it would take Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Denver going full stupid via firing their front office for them to go full suck. Same with Baltimore for that matter.

I'm not so sure about New England. All hinges on Belichick. Without him? They're back to the old days.

Indy just won the lottery twice in one life time. Had Manning not decided to have surgery the year before they drafted Luck? Likely they'd still be spiraling back towards mediocrity.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What a garbage playoff tree in the AFC this year.

No disrespect to any AFC goons out there. You guys are good peeps, but drat...what a poo poo year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

Even though the Ravens are usually one of the usual annoying AFC suspects I still agree. That post you made a while back about the "unholy trinity" is so loving true. You've got Pittsburgh to worry about who are insane on offense (lovely season losses aside, that's just AFC North style), and so if you manage to upset them you've now got Peyton/Brady to deal with. Then if you can manage one of them you've gotta take the other out in the AFCCG.

It's all depressing and odd how people were already declaring Pittsburgh and New England "over" this season, when we know for a fact that isn't true, and will not be true until either of their GOAT HOF QB's finally retire.

Well like, wouldn't it be kind of cool to see like Kansas City, San Diego, Buffalo or someone of that note just stroll in randomly, then make a run? I mean a "real" run, not just host a Wild Card game and then get promptly kicked out of the playoffs.

Like that seems to happen a lot in the NFC quite a bit. Like "WHOA!? WHERE THE HELL DID THE PANTHERS COME FROM"- 2003 or "WOW, THE BEARS WON THE NFC DESPITE THE FACT THAT REX GROSSMAN IS PLAYING QB? AND THEY BEAT THE SAINTS IN THE NFC TITLE GAME WHO COMPLETELY SUCKED THE SEASON BEFORE!?"- 2006.

It just seems like that's the way things rarely go on this side of the fence. We can mock how lovely the NFC South is all the time (and you'd be right), but at least you could truly argue with me that there's some true parity in that conference. Since 1999, I've seen ALL FOUR of those teams play in the Super Bowl.

• Locked thread