Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

I'll talk, but I don't want to display much sympathy.

That seems to be the most reasonable option. Let's kep it professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Nodding and grunting posted:

"Late night," you say, and lean against the table beside him. "But you know. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the hells."

He laughs, bitterly.

"It is strange to be exposed," he says. "You work and you work, and at a certain point you realize that all your work only gives your enemies more chances to watch you fail."
  • "What do you mean by 'enemies'?"

• Tell him about my chat with Stone.

• "Is that why you took credit for discovering the breach?"

• "You seem to be doing okay."

• "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Jane Axewell's stat block posted:

• Charm: 54%
    Your personal style, savoir faire, empathy, and social acumen.
  • Craft: 64%
    Your facility with the sorcerous Craft, used for magical battles and a range of professional tasks.
  • Cunning: 62%
    Your native cunning, wit, and raw intellectual ability.
  • Determination: 59%
    Your bullheaded determination, will to power, and stick-to-it-iveness.
  • Sleep: 60%
    The less you sleep, the harder everything is.
  • Gunner/Socialite: 44%/56%
    Are you clawing for advantage, desperate for work experience, eager to gain partners' approval? Or are you more of a people person?

• Soul: 2340
    The Craft can accomplish miracles—or great blasphemies—so long as you have the soulstuff with which to fuel it.
  • Debt: 184000
    Your student loans are a daily drain on your life and sanity.

Relationships:
  • Ngabe: 46%
    Pat Ngabe is an older associate at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone and a friend of Chen's. He's a happily married man.
  • Chen: 65%
    A fellow associate who started working at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone when Jane did, Cassowary Chen is an intense, dark-haired woman.
  • Wakefield: 49%
    Scion of a high family and hired right out of the Hidden Schools by Kelethres Albrech & Ao, Ashleigh Wakefield is a brilliant blonde blue-blood.
  • Vega: 40%
    Halcyon Vega y Alatriste is a senior associate at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. He's elegant, tall, and vicious, and he's in charge of the warding project you discovered a flaw in.
  • Varkath: 30%
    One of the three senior partners of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone, Golan Varkath is a living skeleton who wears a mask of flesh.
  • Nebuchadnezzar: 20%
    Angelica Nebuchadnezzar is one of the three senior partners of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. She's grooming Vega for a full partnership.
  • Stone: 55%
    Damien Stone is one of the three senior partners of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. He's in his late sixties and has a rivalry with Nebuchadnezzar.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 22, 2014

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Enemies?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
"Is that why you took credit for discovering the breach, bitch?"

Braitty
Oct 8, 2014
Is that why you took credit<because enemies is what happens when you steal credit. Jerk. :dealwithit:

Braitty fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 21, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Enemies?

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Enemies?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
YOU STOLE OUR WORK YOU BASTARD! :argh:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Got a tie between "What do you mean by 'enemies'?" and "Is that why you took credit for discovering the breach?" Next vote breaks it.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Galick posted:

YOU STOLE OUR WORK YOU BASTARD! :argh:
What he said, to break the tie!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

He who takes the credit takes the blame posted:

He shakes his head. "Whoever presented the breach was likely to be blamed, both by the partner and by the client, for not discovering it earlier. It is not the way matters should stand, but it is the way they do stand, more often than not."

"That," you say, "is a kind gloss to put on the fact that you stole my work."

"I don't think it is a gloss. But I may be wrong. You see what happens? One's instinct for self-preservation and self-advancement can become so automatic that one must even doubt one's own good intent."

You walk back to your offices together in silence.

The next day's a weekend, but you're in the office as usual. And as usual, the mail golem shows up at two, bearing packages from around the world. You receive nothing, but you do hear it scuttle on many legs into Cass's office, and set down a heavy package on her desk.

When the golem's gone, you step into Cass's office, and glance over the package. It's a thick document box, marked with the ID glyph of the Transdimensional Thaumaturgics case. Several red URGENT stamps glare at you from the sides.

You open the box. After all, you told Cass you would.

As you rip open the parcel you feel the world grow a step darker, or possibly brighter. Something's here. You know it.

You spread the papers out on Cass's desk and shuffle through them. Carbon copies, of an executive whose name you don't recognize from the TT board lists you've memorized over the last few months.

But none of it makes sense to you. Something's here, you're certain, if only you could find it.
  • I need help. I bring the box to Vega.

• I bring the box to Vega, and blame Cass for not being here to receive it.

• Charm: 54%
    Your facility with the sorcerous Craft, used for magical battles and a range of professional tasks.
  • Cunning: 65% (▲3%)
    Are you clawing for advantage, desperate for work experience, eager to gain partners' approval? Or are you more of a people person?

The Craft can accomplish miracles—or great blasphemies—so long as you have the soulstuff with which to fuel it.

Relationships:
    Pat Ngabe is an older associate at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone and a friend of Chen's. He's a happily married man.
    A fellow associate who started working at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone when Jane did, Cassowary Chen is an intense, dark-haired woman.
    Scion of a high family and hired right out of the Hidden Schools by Kelethres Albrech & Ao, Ashleigh Wakefield is a brilliant blonde blue-blood.
  • Vega: 52% (▲12%)
    Halcyon Vega y Alatriste is a senior associate at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. He's elegant, tall, and vicious, and he's in charge of the warding project you discovered a flaw in.
    One of the three senior partners of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone, Golan Varkath is a living skeleton who wears a mask of flesh.
    Angelica Nebuchadnezzar is one of the three senior partners of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. She's grooming Vega for a full partnership.
    Damien Stone is one of the three senior partners of Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. He's in his late sixties and has a rivalry with Nebuchadnezzar.

We are so bad at predicting the outcome of these choices, stat-wise.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Take it to Vega, no tricks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is a pretty accurate portrait of the work environment in the last consulting firm I worked for.

The demons were somewhat nastier, though.

Take it to Vega, don't blame Cass.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Take it to Vega, don't blame Cass.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Cass did nothing wrong, it's not like she went AWOL.

Bring the box to Vega.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I need help. I bring the box to Vega.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Blame Cass, We're going to climb to the top, no matter what.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I thought you could do it alone as well.

Bring the box to Vega.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Friends to the end posted:

Vega's here, working through the weekend, like you and like always. You run breathless into his office, interrupt his drafting of a summons, and explain what you've found.

He pages through the contents of the package, and his face pales as he nears the end.

"This is it," he says. "Nothing complex. Just a letter, from a deposed executive—which claims the dam is a joint project, and says it will 'offer both our firms a foothold in new territory.'"

"And that's all they need. If Akargath can claim Transdimensional presented the dam as a joint project—they might be able to push for joint ownership. And from there…" He shudders. You have a sudden image of demonic hordes sweeping into the deep jungles of Southern Kath, to breed and grow and infest.

"I don't know what we should do," he says. "This is big, and we need it fixed, fast. We should call Stone." He seems reluctant.

And you know why: Stone could use this as an opening to help him in his slow war against Vega. You don't know, any more, whether that's a good thing.
  • "We should bring Stone into the loop."

• "We can fix it together."

• "Let me do it by myself."

• Charm: 58% (▲4%)
  • Cunning: 65%

Relationships:
  • Vega: 61% (▲9%)

I'm pretty sure this is a Big Important Choice, so rather than my usual vote-counting strategy (check the thread periodically, and if an option has at least three votes, take whichever one is in the lead), I'm going to give you a full 24 hours.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

We should bring Stone into the loop.

Many hands, etc etc.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The boss'll know what to do.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

We should bring Stone into the loop.

Many hands, etc etc.

Yeah, I concur with this
Edit: whoops used I instead of B

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
We got where we are without higher ups helping... But some help won't go amiss. We can do it!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Pull yourself together Vega, we can do it. Just you and me!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
We've gone with Stone last LP, let's shake it up and work with Vega on this one.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Aumanor posted:

We've gone with Stone last LP, let's shake it up and work with Vega on this one.

Yep.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Aumanor posted:

But working with Stone went really well!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, Vega might be competent, but we need more firepower. Let loose the Stone.

Maylo
Nov 5, 2010
Let's fix it together

soltaker21
Apr 5, 2013
Fix it together.
Stone made it clear that you watch out for yourself in this business. We have no reason to believe he won't take credit for the discovery. By working with Vega we get credit for success (since he knows we will call him out) and if we fail its Vega's fault for not overruling us and bringing it to Stone himself.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Bring in Stone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There is no stone in teamwork.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Tag team supercombo posted:

He nods, slowly. "A good idea. Together. I can think of a few steps that will help, if you assist me."

This would be the perfect place to let him down. But you decided against that already. You nod. "Let's go."

I assume the second paragraph reflects our choice not to slack off earlier.

Kicking rear end and taking names posted:

You can see why Vega's on the fast track for promotion—and it's not just because he has a powerful patron. Overstressed, overtired, he's still a genius. You start to wonder if all he needed was your encouragement.

But what the hells. At least it works.

Once shaken out of his distress, Vega moves through the building like a lightning spark moves between clouds: swift, shining, and aflame. He dispatches messages by raven, rat, and nightmare to members of the firm you've never heard of before. He summons dark powers to his beck and call. Glyphs along the length of his body burn with silver flame, and the sclera of his eyes dim to black.

You enter the land of the gods again to block up the gap in the contract, together. As you carve new lines into the darkness of the gods' domain, you see beyond the gap the writhing glass talons of the demon plane, and hear sounds quite like screams.

And then, at the last, you go to notify the client.

No nightmares for this; there's no time, and nightmares are too susceptible to observation. The firm keeps a dedicated scrying mirror on the forty-first floor, and there you and Vega turn out the lights, and speak three times the secret name of the man called John Smith.

Cobweb razors brush your face, and he stands before you both. Normal as ever: an unassuming man in an unassuming suit, with a chilling, angular smile.

You watch, and learn, as Vega presents your discovery. And the solution, at least when set atop all the other work you've done this afternoon: "We'll need to claim that you kicked this executive out because you discovered he was working against Transdimensional's interests. Incompetence might also work. If we can establish that, then we can minimize the effect of his letter."

"Her letter," Smith corrects. And that grin, that broken grin, it grows.

But you've won. Haven't you?

The mirror dims, and light returns.

Vega steps back, sweating, and for a moment, just a moment, he lets himself sag. Human, after all that. A human being with a human smile. "Drinks are on me tonight. I'll meet you down at CJ's!" And he leaves, swinging his arms. Jaunty.

You've never used that word before. Hells, when you were a kid you never thought you'd know anyone who that word might describe. But there it is. And for all his aristocratic edge, for all the superiority he doesn't even know he oozes, you can't help but feel happy for him.

You turn to leave.

But as you go, a glimmer of light from the mirror catches your eye.

Smith stands in the mirror, waiting. You feel alone. Lonelier, even, than you would have felt without him there.

"What do you want?" you say at last.

"I wonder," he says, "how you would describe the inner workings of your team."
  • "So you can use that against us? No thanks."

• "Vega likes to take credit for things he shouldn't."

• "Stone's suspicious of Vega, but it didn't hurt us much."

• Charm: 62% (▲4%)
  • Craft: 71% (▲11%)
  • Cunning: 68% (▲3%)
  • Determination: 63% (▲4%)

Relationships:
  • Vega: 64% (▲3%)
    Halcyon Vega y Alatriste is a senior associate at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. He's elegant, tall, and vicious, and together you were able to fix the flaw in his warding project.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
"So you can use that against us? No thanks."

Because giving away information to this guys seems like it's not the greatest idea.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Yeah let's not trust the Twilight Zone narrator. No info for you.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hot dang, that's a nice stat increase. As for the creepy guy, let's quote the previous thread:

Simply Simon posted:

Kindly fornicate your own orifices.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

GET BENT GET BENT GET BENT posted:

"Touching loyalty. I wonder whether those you serve are worthy of it."

"A pleasure talking with you," Smith says. "I'll see you again soon, I hope."

And he vanishes. Leaving you victorious, and alone.

You and Vega head across the street to CJ's together, grab seats at the bar and toast to success. The world's safe for at least tomorrow. You touch glasses, and laugh, and let the last few hours' terror recede.

You celebrate the victory…
  • In style.

• With restraint.

• With a cup of tea and an early bedtime.

• Charm: 62%
  • Craft: 71%
  • Cunning: 68%
  • Determination: 63%

Relationships:
  • Vega: 64%
    Halcyon Vega y Alatriste is a senior associate at Varkath Nebuchadnezzar Stone. He's elegant, tall, and vicious, and together you were able to fix the flaw in his warding project.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Our sleep stat is kinda low but who cares. Let's party in style!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Aumanor posted:

Our sleep stat is kinda low but who cares. Let's party in style!

Yeah, what the (literal) Hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

With a cup of tea and an early bedtime.

Sleep, god stat, etc etc.

• Locked thread