Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Apparently if you write a book about Iraq/Afghanistan the cover has to conform to certain standards to make sure they'll all look good together on a bookshelf?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i for one am super happy about all my tax dollars funding a super bloated military budget and then we can't even invade another country properly

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
same concept as call of duty yes

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
these are men books. men don't like words, so you need to trick them into reading them. "oh, not a lot of words and pictures of guns? let me buy this object."

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I wish my name was Bing West

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
the only book i ever read is the art of war by sun tzu and ive probabl yr ead it over 9000 times at this point. every morning i wake up and do the whole 'open palm slam' routine except its the movie scarface and then i immediately read sun tzus the art of war. every single day. i think the teachings of these bodies of work mesh really well together and makes you wonder how much more cocaine scar face would have sold if he had sun tzu as an advisor, or how much cocaine sun tzu coul dhave sold with scar face as his advisor. im listening to little wayne the entire time.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

uG posted:

the only book i ever read is the art of war by sun tzu and ive probabl yr ead it over 9000 times at this point. every morning i wake up and do the whole 'open palm slam' routine except its the movie scarface and then i immediately read sun tzus the art of war. every single day. i think the teachings of these bodies of work mesh really well together and makes you wonder how much more cocaine scar face would have sold if he had sun tzu as an advisor, or how much cocaine sun tzu coul dhave sold with scar face as his advisor. im listening to little wayne the entire time.

keep going i'm almost there

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

i for one am super happy about all my tax dollars funding a super bloated military budget and then we can't even invade another country properly

it's pretty funny that even dudes like retired Lt. Gen. Daniel Bolger will echo this Onion article and say "yeah, we're not good at wars where there's not a clear cut enemy using traditional tactics."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
counterpoint:

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

counterpoint:

my chocolate bride :swoon:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I'll counter point that counter by pointing out all yours are by the same author and same publisher, while mine come from several different authors and publishing houses.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also one thing about war books is that a lot of them have soldiers with their backs turned to the camera and heads down ... like they're walking away ... in shame.

:911:

or that may have to do with likeness issues since you don't want someone's face on it

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

scrub countries at that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chum Scandal posted:

my chocolate bride :swoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-TeMshOj0

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
its called lines of symmetry, OP

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i want to fire one of those vehicle mounted grenade launchers at jihadists

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

also one thing about war books is that a lot of them have soldiers with their backs turned to the camera and heads down ... like they're walking away ... in shame.

or that may have to do with likeness issues since you don't want someone's face on it

wrong again!

I'm sure this dude is swimming in royalty money

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

LifeSizePotato posted:

scrub countries at that

how much does the terrain/mountains/caves of the middle east come into play? or do we just suck

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Op discovers marketing, poets weep

Mauvais
Jul 24, 2002

HUZZAH
A lot of genres tend to follow some sort of unofficial standard in their cover design, I dunno if designers piggyback off one another or what. I work in a bookstore and can pretty much tell what kind of book it is just from the font they're using.

I think the far more startling trend is that if a woman is writing a romance or mystery paperback there's like an 80% chance they have short red hair. I don't even know any people with red hair so where are they all coming from???

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
Africa

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

huh, so some movie posters show a person, and a portion of those show the person facing a certain direction

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i bet there are also movie posters showing a person facing towards the camera

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

i bet there are also movie posters showing a person facing towards the camera
With 1000s of movies to choose from it should be pretty easy to cherry pick a selection of like a dozen that illustrate your point.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Parallax Scroll posted:

huh, so some movie posters show a person, and a portion of those show the person facing a certain direction

no its the blue and orange bullshit

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I survived by not being inside the buildings.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Come to think of it, pizza boxes all look a lot alike too!

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

counterpoint:

the bride quartet is a thrilling tale of a woman who constantly changes her skin colour in order to wed the man of her dreams

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Phrasing posted:

lol

rohoku
Jul 9, 2014

Phrasing posted:

Scholastic is a children's book company. Not sure who would make their kid read that...

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

rohoku posted:

Scholastic is a children's book company. Not sure who would make their kid read that...

um excuse me AMERICANS would you commie fag

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Phrasing posted:

come to think of it, I did too

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I survived

GBS 2.0.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Gay Roads posted:

these are men books. men don't like words, so you need to trick them into reading them. "oh, not a lot of words and pictures of guns? let me buy this object."
#THISISWHYWENEEDMENS'RIGHTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
So is all the words in these books just pages and pages of "bang bang boom bang" and poo poo like tha?

• Locked thread