Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cartheon posted:

Watching the video, was it just my crappy computer or did the captions get waaaaay ahead of the voice acting?

The other Thiaf LP also has that issue, and they said that it was exactly as the game presented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalonZombie posted:

I just have to say something about tonight's recording session:

Whyyyyyy?

drat, now I'm torn between seeing what happens next in the Dark mod and the sheer undiluted terribleness of Thiaf :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Internet Janitor posted:

Sorry, Basso- this one's… not for sale…

Welp, time to take my pants off and put on some Barry White :pervert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Antistar01 posted:

Wow, that 'In The North' mission is really good.

Agreed; it also helps that, well, William Steele seems to be more straight-up heroic than Garrett, though that may just be because Harckoff is a complete shitbag. I'd also accept a Lt. Trumble spinoff game using the Dark Messiah of Might and Magic engine :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Protagonist posted:

On the one hand it handles the whole 'Lucifer figure is tempting you with terrible powers' thematically well, while mechanically you're terribly limited if you decide to try and avoid what is widely perceived as the 'bad' ending. So the disconnect and associated criticism seems well warranted, but still, seems like a solid game.

I actually think it all comes together quite well, actually- the Outsider think all humans are bastards, and given enough power, you'll become just another massive bastard, which is who a high-Chaos Corvo is likely to be. But if you stick to Blink and Dark Sight while keeping people alive, he will sound surprised, as you've just turned all his expectations on his head. True, he does pull a "you're the exception that proves the rule" after, but still.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, the devs paid attention to complaints, and the DLC adds a lot of new non-lethal tools to allow for more creativity while keeping chaos low. Seriously, the DLC is top notch.

I have to admit, this kinda got my :spergin: going, because part of what made the whole low chaos playthrough good for me was how limited my options were, as well as how they encouraged me to get creative and take time to observe and plan. Blink-pause is for babbies, I say :colbert:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 16, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If there was ever a time to say "You gotta be taffing me," it was this, Bobbin.

You taffer :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

double nine posted:

No-one knows what substance is in the bucket.

Dammit, now I want to know! :argh: Isn't there some way to analyze it?

...what is the bucket made of?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it just me, or would Thiaf be better served if they let you play Erin instead of NuGarrett? It could have been a story about how Erin does her own thing, including killing people and robbing the dead, while having a story about how Erin finds her own way as a thief and either disparaging Garrett's ways entirely or trying to honour the mentor she realizes she really did respect. Sure, Erin would be a walking, talking failure of the Bechdel test either way, but at least it'd be something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Antistar01 posted:

And in a way, there's the generally very good T2X. It's technically a mod for Thief 2, but it's the length of a full game and has a female protagonist. It sort of feels like Thief 2.5 - and from memory some of the people working on it got jobs working on Thief 3 while T2X was still in progress.

This looks really cool! Say, Bobbin, could you LP this next?

EDIT: Also, are there any more Into The North missions? William Steele is an awesome Thief, and I for one would like to hear more of his adventures.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 23, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, Bobbin- instead of following this up with Thiaf as you've been doing so far, can we have the rest of Home Again, please?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There's another set of three side jobs, and after that I'm expecting between 2-4 exploration videos.

So we'll also have a lot of Dark Mod videos to go through then? Because honestly, I for one am more excited for those than Thiaf.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, now that we're on the end stretch, I'm going to miss The Dark Mod :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ulvirich posted:

That requiem map is something else, I'm surprised at the level of quality in that one.

Same here- somebody should hire the mapmaker(s) for the actual fourth Thief game, holy poo poo. Anyone know what that song at the end was, or who the singers were?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 9, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Awesome, thanks Bobbin! That song is definitely one of the level's high points, and hopefully we'd see more of its like in the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fabulousvillain posted:

I don't understand the ironic praise people give to things that are awful instead of mediocre. I'm not talking about a bad game with some good or interesting qualities, but flat out broken messes (see: Sonic 2006, Ride to Hell, Mindjack, ect.). Unless the game personally offended you in some way, I see no reason to hate a mediocre game over a broken mess. With that said laughing at a broken mess can be a different story.

In some cases, it can be a kind of admiration if a game tries to do more than the studio could have managed- Mars: War Dogs is a sterling example of this, as the devs tried to make post-apocalyptic Mass Effect and failed, but what is there is quite good, and in some cases does it better than most other games (ranged ammo is so scarce ranged weapons are a special ability, for example). In the case of other bad games like Raven's Cry and Ride to Hell, the glitches and fuckups are funny enough that a player might be motivated by some kind of perverse curiosity to play. And in the case of Big Rigs, it's like you said, a bucket of laughs at a broken mess.

Thi4f on the other hand, is as :mediocre: as other people have been saying, and commits a sin not even many bad games manage- it's boring. It's a chore to 'play', and all it does is remind you that you could be playing Dishonored, or Bioshock, or the previous Thief games. I disagree with the opinion that it could have been better received if it was a standalone title with no connection to the other Thief games, as all other things being the same we would have still ended up with a yawnfest. And THAT sin, of being unfun to play and thus missing the point of being a game is why it deserves harsher criticism than any regular bad game.

EDIT: Used the new Fury Road smiley. Now THAT's a movie that isn't mediocre, is action-packed yet brainy, and is basically the best entertainment experience of the year while being less interactive than most modern games are supposed to be. Go watch witness it, you guys.

• Locked thread