Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Alright, guys, I get it. Really, I do. The original Thief series wrapped up its plotline and you're a different developer, so why wouldn't you reboot the setting? It's a fresh team and a fresh start. Nothing wrong with that. Of course, with all the references and callbacks it seems like you want to eat your cake and have it, too. Plus you probably should have understood what made the original setting and characters interesting and not made New!Garrett into an unlikable twat in black eyeliner. I'd call him a taffer, but you did away with that, too, didn't you?

And I suppose it's a neat idea for the new bad guys to be from the aristocracy and the City Watch. There's a certain kind of sense to that; the nobility was always a sort of fourth faction in the original trilogy, so it's good to give them their time in the sun. But if you were going to do that, you probably shouldn't have ripped off Dishonored and Bioshock: Infinite's plotlines (poorly) and made the Thief-Taker General a moustache-twirling villain. There couldn't be any moral ambiguity, huh?

And hey, new powers and equipment! I don't mind the idea of using Focus to highlight important items and use other special abilities, plus it's not like you're ever forced to use it. Of course, it would've been nice if Focus-based lockpicking was actually easier than normal (at least on the PC), plus you kind of nerfed gas arrows and eliminated every means of ranged nonlethal takedown. That's kind of a problem since melee takedowns are apparently noisy as hell now and take several seconds no matter what else is happening.

I see you also added in a whole bunch of interface indicators that weren't in the original trilogy but are in basically every modern stealth and semi-stealth games, but I'm not going to hold that against you. After some fan outcry, you made pretty much the whole interface optional, so those who want to feel immersed can get immersed. I won't bother with doing so myself, but it's nice to have the option. On the other hand, the audio indicators can be pretty obnoxious at times, and in fact the audio in general can be pretty wonky. That's not such a good thing for a game like this.

The missions themselves are pretty linear, but I can understand why: you need transitions and points-of-no-return to mask loading screens. That's just how game design works these days. You still added plenty of nooks and crannies that hide bits of loot, and while the exploration is more constrained, there's something to be said for the puzzle factor of discovering the right path to obtain a shiny. On the other hand, since exploration is really a big focal point of the Thief series, I have to wonder why you didn't include any sort of requirement to do so or any reward beyond the money itself.

But hey, there's also open world gameplay! Thief 3 had that way back in the day, and although the maps aren't as big as Thief 1 and Thief 2, they at least put 3's maps to proper shame. Then again, there's no real reason to explore the city streets more than once since nothing but guard money respawns and all the tools are unlocked after Chapter 2. Plus there's also no reason to explore except just before the very end because the loot and collectables for Basso's side jobs don't spawn until after you actively take the jobs. It's not very rewarding to discover a hidden door only to find out the secret room behind it is empty because Basso hasn't told you what's in there yet.

And sure enough, there are collectables! It's true that Old!Garrett would have laughed at New!Garrett for considering anything "too precious to sell," but I can certainly see the player appeal in filling the old secret lair (secret lair? really?) with shiny collectables. But then...did one of the collectables have to include that? I mean, really? You couldn't have just, I don't know, left those two out and saved yourself a lot of awkward looks?

So to sum up, I get it. You wanted to do your own thing, and you wanted to do it by ripping off around a dozen or so popular franchises (including, ultimately, Thief itself). But just because you tried doesn't mean you succeeded, and just because I understand doesn't mean I have to like your game.

Hypothetically Asked Questions

Q: Do you think you could make a version of the video where it's just you and nobody's talking over the cutscenes?
A: No.

Q: So are you going to try for 100% loot and zero (human) casualties like before?
A: I really can't be bothered. I will get 100% collectables, though, because that's easy enough to do and the thought of Garrett building up a treasure trove amuses me.

Q: What's up with that [DF] in the thread title?
A: It stands for Double Feature!

The Dark Mod is a total conversion mod for Doom 3 (go figure) that as of last year is completely stand-alone: you do not need Doom 3 itself to play, and everything you do need you can download straight from the website I've linked.

If you want to know what this is about, let me put it simply: The Dark Mod is more of a sequel to the first two Thief games than Thief 3 was. However, I should warn you that this includes both the bad and the good. The maps are potentially huge, but the initial loading times represent that fact all too well (thankfully quick saving/loading within a map is nice and quick). Being developed exclusively for the PC, TDM relies more on using the entire keyboard than on menus and context-sensitive buttons, and both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks. Also, it's still not the most stable of games. Still, TDM adds a physics engine to areas that look and sound remarkably like they were made in the Dark Engine, plus the guard AI has been improved significantly over the old games.

Another issue is that since TDM is fan-made, the maps can vary significantly in quality from one creator to another. My current collection (shown below) comes from a recommended list I found in the Thief thread in Games, although I haven't yet played most of them. My current idea is to play through the Thomas Porter series alongside the main chapters in Thi4f and then play through the more one-off stuff during exploration and side job videos. For this first video the choice was obvious: we'll be exploring The Tears of Saint Lucia, the map that's included with the basic download since it's a good, solid mission that's easy enough for beginners and contains a few secrets for advanced players.

I believe I've got enough missions to take me through the entirety of Thi4f, and since there is no conceivable end to these things, I'm going to say right now that I will make exactly the same number of videos for both games and this is not up for negotiation. That said, since I'm not too familiar with what all is available, I am definitely up for suggestions on which missions to prioritize.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Alright, guys, I get it. Really, I do. The original Thief series wrapped up its plotline and you're a different developer, so why wouldn't you reboot the setting? It's a fresh team and a fresh start. Nothing wrong with that. Of course, with all the references and callbacks it seems like you want to eat your cake and have it, too. Plus you probably should have understood what made the original setting and characters interesting and not made New!Garrett into an unlikable twat in black eyeliner. I'd call him a taffer, but you did away with that, too, didn't you?

And I suppose it's a neat idea for the new bad guys to be from the aristocracy and the City Watch. There's a certain kind of sense to that; the nobility was always a sort of fourth faction in the original trilogy, so it's good to give them their time in the sun. But if you were going to do that, you probably shouldn't have ripped off Dishonored and Bioshock: Infinite's plotlines (poorly) and made the Thief-Taker General a moustache-twirling villain. There couldn't be any moral ambiguity, huh?

And hey, new powers and equipment! I don't mind the idea of using Focus to highlight important items and use other special abilities, plus it's not like you're ever forced to use it. Of course, it would've been nice if Focus-based lockpicking was actually easier than normal (at least on the PC), plus you kind of nerfed gas arrows and eliminated every means of ranged nonlethal takedown. That's kind of a problem since melee takedowns are apparently noisy as hell now and take several seconds no matter what else is happening.

I see you also added in a whole bunch of interface indicators that weren't in the original trilogy but are in basically every modern stealth and semi-stealth games, but I'm not going to hold that against you. After some fan outcry, you made pretty much the whole interface optional, so those who want to feel immersed can get immersed. I won't bother with doing so myself, but it's nice to have the option. On the other hand, the audio indicators can be pretty obnoxious at times, and in fact the audio in general can be pretty wonky. That's not such a good thing for a game like this.

The missions themselves are pretty linear, but I can understand why: you need transitions and points-of-no-return to mask loading screens. That's just how game design works these days. You still added plenty of nooks and crannies that hide bits of loot, and while the exploration is more constrained, there's something to be said for the puzzle factor of discovering the right path to obtain a shiny. On the other hand, since exploration is really a big focal point of the Thief series, I have to wonder why you didn't include any sort of requirement to do so or any reward beyond the money itself.

But hey, there's also open world gameplay! Thief 3 had that way back in the day, and although the maps aren't as big as Thief 1 and Thief 2, they at least put 3's maps to proper shame. Then again, there's no real reason to explore the city streets more than once since nothing but guard money respawns and all the tools are unlocked after Chapter 2. Plus there's also no reason to explore except just before the very end because the loot and collectables for Basso's side jobs don't spawn until after you actively take the jobs. It's not very rewarding to discover a hidden door only to find out the secret room behind it is empty because Basso hasn't told you what's in there yet.

And sure enough, there are collectables! It's true that Old!Garrett would have laughed at New!Garrett for considering anything "too precious to sell," but I can certainly see the player appeal in filling the old secret lair (secret lair? really?) with shiny collectables. But then...did one of the collectables have to include that? I mean, really? You couldn't have just, I don't know, left those two out and saved yourself a lot of awkward looks?

So to sum up, I get it. You wanted to do your own thing, and you wanted to do it by ripping off around a dozen or so popular franchises (including, ultimately, Thief itself). But just because you tried doesn't mean you succeeded, and just because I understand doesn't mean I have to like your game.

Hypothetically Asked Questions

Q: Do you think you could make a version of the video where it's just you and nobody's talking over the cutscenes?
A: No.

Q: So are you going to try for 100% loot and zero (human) casualties like before?
A: I really can't be bothered. I will get 100% collectables, though, because that's easy enough to do and the thought of Garrett building up a treasure trove amuses me.

Voyeur's Diary

Newspaper: The Benefits of Strict Curfew
Lockdown Regulations
Newspaper: Clock Tower Stops Again!
Lygrove's Letter
Newspaper: Who Watches the Watch Hounds?
Newspaper: Lockdown!

Treason!
Coal Room Stash Note
Broken Glass
Transportation of Cadavers

Break Spot
Renovation Notice
Cryptic Letter
Off-Limits
Dead List
Stripping Procedure

NORTHCREST UNBOWED!
Mechanical Eyes
Letter to Maunders
Ashes Letter
Southrye Legacy
Audit
Letter to the Auditor
The Burnt Emerald - One
The Burnt Emerald - Two
The Burnt Emerald - Three
Lady Christina's Will

Coyle's Combination
List of Constellations
Strongbox Registry
Madam Xiao Xiao's Diary

Madeleine's Letter
Miniature Keep
Keep Plans
Great Safe Combination
Prisoner List
Graven Letter

NEW WATCH LAWS AND YOU!
Patient Admitted
Voices
Huntfield's Illness
Report: Patient #18
Patient Transfer
Headaches
Absence

Extracting the Primal
Transfer Request
Report: Aggression

New Instructions
Traitorsgate Report
Register of Stolen Goods
Bait and Switches 4
Courtyard Map?
Eastwick's Letter

Annabel's Note
Manor Floor Plan
Steward's Letter
Burnt Letter
Guard's Letter
Damaged Wing
Manor Duties
Reactor Limit
Laboratory Repair Report
The Awakened
Lions of Industry
Progress
Reunited
Vivian
Loose Ends
Sterility
Swansong

Ector's Memoirs
Clockwise's Letter
Alfonso's Letter
Alfonso's Register
Engineer's Letter
Eelbiters Contract
Alfonso's Workbook

Last Warning Letter
Bait and Switches 1
TURN NOT TO PROTEST!
Oxheart Perry's Shop Register
Oxheart Perry's Notebook

Ector's Letter
Engineer's Letter
Clockwise's Diary
Voclid Treatise
Time Treatise
Project Pendulum - Day 1
PP - Day 6
PP - Day 8
PP - Day 11
PP - Day 13
Clockwise's Confession

Manservant's Diary
Father's Testament

Prison Register

Archie Maxwell's Diary
Archie Maxwell's Notes
Petty Thief Diary
Boris' Debt Register
Wax Witch's Journal
Candlewax Ritual Book
Thief-Taker General's Order
Graven Notes
Bookbinder's Register
Miss Scarlett's Diary
Painting Order

Moira Release Letter
Smuggler's Map: Eel's End
Bait and Switches 2
Letter to Sick Willy
Hangman's Memoirs
Smuggler's Map: Blackfurrow
Smuggler's Map: Muddler's Row
Bait and Switches 3
Tear-Soaked Diary
BREAK-IN!
John Tallow's Blacklist
Sculptor's Diary
Manuscript

Jeb Chokes' Notebook
Poem (Reconstructed)
The Shady Vein
Watch Captain's Orders
White Sail Goods Census
White Sail Captain's Notes

Polly's Admirer's Letter
Little Lucy's Last Letter
Levack's Debt Register

Storehouse Note
Smuggler's Letter

Storage Room
Scavenger's Note

The Mortal Coils

These bracelets, shaped like serpents, are said to seek the company of grateful widows. All six are rumored to carry an unspoken secret and darkness surely glitters in each shining eye.
Sootback Bracelet
Shale Snake Bracelet
Harlequin Bracelet
Marsh Adder Bracelet
Wellpool Viper Bracelet
Bronzehead Bracelet

Serendi Stone Circles

A set of matching precious-stone rings referred to as Circles by collectors of valuable antiques. Fashioned by the original and great Serendi himself, these rings are said to have acrostic significance.
Amethyst Circle
Diamond Circle
Emerald Circle
Lapis Lazuli Circle
Ivory Circle
Sapphire Circle
Amber Circle

Unique Loot

A collection of unique loot that is more valuable to Garrett than their weight in gold.
The Glittering Plumage
Lygrove's Jewelled Mask
Soul of the Automaton
Ancient Figurine
Morendrum Medal
Mechanical Eye
Heart of the Lion
Golden Keep
City Artifact

Client Loot

A collection of unique items that were lifted for various clients in The City.
Jewelled Mask
Corneleus's Ring
Ritual Book
The Mechanical Hand
The Voice Box
Automaton's Heart
The Talking Skull
The Octopuss

City Heritage Plaques

A record of the various historic buildings and monuments throughout The City.
Our Lady of the Iron Litany Chapel
The Crippled Burrick Tavern
Stonemarket Clock Tower
Stonemarket First Bank
Carlysle's Mill
The Keep
Customs House Bridge
The Siren's Rest
Moira Asylum
Elias Northcrest Statue
South Quarter Sluices
Watch Station
Obediah Northcrest's Obelisk
Ulysses Northcrest's Obelisk
Barnabus Northcrest's Obelisk
Archibauld Northcrest's Obelisk

Memories of the Dead

A long-lost tradition once existed that saw deceased relatives remembered with matching rings set in the bone of their ancestors. Inscribed with a memory, the rings enshrined those loved and lost so as to never be forgotten.
Charity's Memory
Stonemason's Memory
Soldier's Memory
Child's Memory
Braggart's Memory
Elder's Memory

Flowers Eternal

Courting nobles from the great houses once practiced the custom of exchanging floral jewellery beneath the now-vanished dome of Auldale Botanical Gardens. The jewelled bouquets represented a love that would never die.
Daisy Brooch
Rose Brooch
Hydrangea Brooch
Lilac Brooch
Iris Brooch
Sunflower Brooch

The Court of Montonessi

The last series of works by The City's irregular, some say disturbed, portrait painter Montonessi. He was incarcerated in Moira Asylum for the latter part of his life, where he painted some of his most particular pieces.
:nws:The Insatiable Appetite
The Abundance of Emptiness
The Repulsion of Civility
The Married Spinster
Guilt has Black Wings
Living a Lie
The Grace of Insecurity
What is There Cannot be Seen
:nws:The Dangers of Seduction
The Arrogance of Nobility
Rutting Out of Season
Compassion, Foul

The Pinned Castinets

A collection of exotic butterfly brooches, presented to the daughters of the Castinet family on the eve of each wedding. The pins were thought lost after the family mysteriously vanished during the Great City Riots of y521.
Jewelwing
Greater Ruststain
Dawn Gauzy
Ghost-girl
Oilbox
Mourning Bell

Whiteridge's Duty

Cameos recalling the instructions of Dame Whiteridge, the elder stateswoman of the Dayport Women's Society. Dame Whiteridge was renowned for her strict and unswerving insistence on fashion and etiquette among The City's ladies.
The Statuesque Lady
The Observant Lady
The Burnished Lady
The Constant Lady
The Virtuous Lady
The Porcelain Lady

Fan Art

This series of paintings depicts the exploits of The City's most famous thief, Garrett.
Garrett's Stealth Tactics
Garrett's Most Prized Possession
"Honest" Garrett's Fine Pen Emporium
Garrett's Pickpocketing Skills
Hot Puzzle-Solving Action
Spooky Scary Gollums!
Garrett Photobombing Karras

Garrett's Bandana

Why does he never tuck it beneath his chin? What's Garrett hiding? The answers may surprise you.
Kuato Does Not Approve
His Terrible Loss
Better Games
His Former Self
Backup Chins
His Beard-Powered Pen Holder
Henry loving Rollins
Chinception
Faception
Better Free Games

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 30, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Dark Mod is a total conversion mod for Doom 3 (go figure) that as of last year is completely stand-alone: you do not need Doom 3 itself to play, and everything you do need you can download straight from the website I've linked.

If you want to know what this is about, let me put it simply: The Dark Mod is more of a sequel to the first two Thief games than Thief 3 was. However, I should warn you that this includes both the bad and the good. The maps are potentially huge, but the initial loading times represent that fact all too well (thankfully quick saving/loading within a map is nice and quick). Being developed exclusively for the PC, TDM relies more on using the entire keyboard than on menus and context-sensitive buttons, and both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks. Also, it's still not the most stable of games. Still, TDM adds a physics engine to areas that look and sound remarkably like they were made in the Dark Engine, plus the guard AI has been improved significantly over the old games.

Another issue is that since TDM is fan-made, the maps can vary significantly in quality from one creator to another. My current collection (shown below) comes from a recommended list I found in the Thief thread in Games, although I haven't yet played most of them. My current idea is to play through the Thomas Porter series alongside the main chapters in Thi4f and then play through the more one-off stuff during exploration and side job videos. For this first video the choice was obvious: we'll be exploring The Tears of Saint Lucia, the map that's included with the basic download since it's a good, solid mission that's easy enough for beginners and contains a few secrets for advanced players.

I believe I've got enough missions to take me through the entirety of Thi4f, and since there is no conceivable end to these things, I'm going to say right now that I will make exactly the same number of videos for both games and this is not up for negotiation. That said, since I'm not too familiar with what all is available, I am definitely up for suggestions on which missions to prioritize.

Objectives
Map
John's note
Perre's note
Sophie's reply
Drunkenness punishment
Gambling punishment
Brigid's Blessing
The Reverend's journal
The guard's journal
The Pagan Problem
Confessional Records
Visitation Records
History of the Inquisition
Abagtha's note
Scriptures

Objectives
The Smuggler's Diary
Builder's Note
Unfinished Note
Haunted!
Elsie's TURF!

Objectives
Ralf's Bread
Symond's Letter
Ralf's Debts
Walt's Game
Attention Servants!
For Honorable Service
For Protecting the City
For Protecting the Nobility
An Unexpected Move
A Bold Move
Weight Sensor Mark IV
Walt's Concerns
Puzzle Lock Mark II
Poetry by Yrjaenae

Objectives
Map: Cellar
Map: 1st Floor
Map: 2nd Floor
Thief's Note
Welton's Pay
Remedies
Cookbook
Kitchen Hours
WTF Dude?
There's No P in Well
Mary's Letter
Isabella's Eels
Yardley's Escape
Church History pages 11-12
Welton's Wages
Isabella's Accomodations
Teresa's Journal
Guard Conduct
Day Roster
Saturday's Hanging
Teresa's Goodbye
Church History pages 5-6
Afferton's Bonus
Torn Pages
Harckoff's Excuse (Trumble)
Harckoff's Visitor (Trumble)
Trumble's Journal
Witcomb's Warning
Additional Objectives
Fire Damage
Church History pages 13-14
Harckoff's Visitor (Witcomb)
Witcomb's Worries
Harckoff's Orders
Visitors
Poker Face

Harckoff's Excuse (Isabella)
Church History pages 9-10
Isabella's Journal
Church History pages 3-4
Church History pages 7-8
Harckoff's List
Harckoff's Reminder
Harckoff's Ledger
Harckoff's Addition
Church History pages 1,2,15
Harckoff's Journal

Objectives
Fence's Note
Key Note
Alternate Drop Note
Antique Coins Note
Reputation Note
Deposit Note
Log Note
Casing Map
Office Keys Note
Joyce's Code
Affair Evidence
Husband's Letter

Objectives
Map
Porter's Journal
Blacksmith's Journal
Pratchett's Rights
Oliver's Clumsiness
Oliver's Plea
Augursbury Murder Case
Butternose Raid
Inspector's Report
Knighton's Log

Builder Scripture
A Guard's Suspicions
Reported Crimes
Corridor Sealed

Objectives
Astronomical Observations
A Thief's Regret
Servant's Journal
Lord Morley's Regret
Optional Objective

Grocery List
De Vermis Mysteriis
The Smothering Book

Objectives
Glenham Map
Skipwyth's Charge
Skipwyth's 1st Report
Skipwyth's 2nd Report

De Grenefeld's Acquisitions
New Objectives
A Warning
Ulcer Treatment
De Grenefeld's Diary
Treatise on Undeath Vol. 1
Me Gold
Final Objectives

Objectives
District Map
Manor Map
Misery and Darkness
Servants!
Cleaning Schedule

Commission
Woodworth's Diary
Perscription
Burnt Letter
Display Case Mk II
Prinn's Phrase Book
Annebelle's Diary
Secret Objectives

Objectives
Map
Blackmail 1
Blackmail 2
Gybbs Sound Player
Blackmailer's List
Archery Scores
Setup Note
Worried Journal
Builder's Note
Window Bars
A Final Note
Painting Tip
Bishop's Journal

A Treatise on Mines
Inventor's Guild Journal
Hubris Journal
Bier's Complaint
Bier's Complaint (Draft)
Meeting Notice
Ames' Note
Cleighmoor Map 1
Cleighmoor Map 2
Sewer Map
Bier's Stakeout
Ames' Journal
Front Desk Log
Blackmailer's Tip
Cashbox Notice
Bier's Confusion
Marston's Safe Deposit Box
Marston's Journal
Bier's Reminder
Evidence: Bottles
Evidence: Needle
Evidence: Club
Mackie's Note
Evidence: Map
Evidence: Steele
Evidence: Cleaver
Evidence: Chair Leg
Evidence: Urn
Evidence: Arrow
Evidence: Necklace

Objectives
Mackie's Note (new font)
Site Rules
DeTorro's Ultimatum
New Objectives

Katherine's Warning
Stop Drinking from Random Bottles
So hands off!!!!
Yarling's Warning
Yarling's Largesse
Yarling's Dream
To Ma
Dear Diary
Small Council Visit
Station Log
Prison Log
Maintenance Note
Benson's Note
Smithson's Note
Benson's Objective
Yancy's Internment
Cleighmoor Overview
Cell Door Note
Clarise's Letter
Fielder's Loan
Fielder's Diary
Temple Map

Objectives
Sam's Last Message
Map 1
Map 2
Target Contest
Jaff's Booty
Eleanor's Perscription
Andrew's Confessions
Edridge's Key
Edridge's Paranoia
Lady Helena's Diary
Agnes' Letter
Chambermaid's Fake Orders
Sister Augusta's Letter
Helena's Requirements
Bills

Art and Wine
Edridge's Demands
Guards' Warning
Cook's Complaints
The Book of Rogues
The Heart Lore
Sister Augusta's Potion
Chapel of Mercy
Chambermaid's Real Orders
Diary of a Jealous Maid
Lilly's Letter
Emma's Sweetheart's Letter
New Objectives
Daytime 3331-3335
Secret Bill
John Edridge's Research
Habble's Diary
Pathetic Love Letter
Spring Water Pump
An Oath
Sam's Final Words
Final Objectives

Objectives
Pedro's Note
Tavern Owner's Diary
Inventor's Diary
Thief's Diary
Gibson's Journal
Pedro's Objectives
Odd Jobber's Diary
Hotelier's Diary
Smithe's Praise
Guild Thief's Diary
Hotel Guest's Diary
Guard Notice

Objectives
Map
Lever Issue
Ben's Warning
Public Notice
Maintenance Reports
Binnes' Report
Sykes' Warning
Sykes' "Tip"
Casing Report
The City Tribune
Sykes' Orders

The Footman's Almanac
Explosive Instructions
Explosives
Prisoner List
Randall's Confession
Cloister Closing
Builder Log
Marcel's Concerns
The Scripture on Undeath

Objectives
Map: Floor 1
Map: Caves
Map: Floor 2
Moon Diary
Lich Queen's Journal

Ingredient List
The Shadows
Robber's Diary

Objectives
Hakar's Note
Osten's Plea
Hakar's Instructions
Parables of Father Skubis
Mayla's Troubles
Greengrocer's Diary
Hakar's Musings
Tales of the City
Gambling in the Attic
Rolf's Complaint
Targhin's Log
Case: Father Mirrus Hanno
Case: Ahlen Osten
Case: Bolen
Thief's Concerns
Markus' Warning
Mason's Musings
Booze Note
Sewer Worker's Note
Builder's Gossip
Saint Issa's History
Father Markus' Diary

Thief's Shock
Builders' Last Stand
Real Objectives
Crowns of the Second Seal
Teleni's Last Words
Notes on the Third Seal

Builder's Chronicle
In the shadows...
Journal of Brother Kalin
First Journal of Vas-Daro
Hymn to the Master Builder
A Builder's Plan
Necromancers' History
Final Objectives
Second Journal of Vas-Daro
The Caves of the Beloc
Third Journal of Vas-Daro
Final Ritual of Vas-Daro
Final Words of Vas-Daro
True Diary of Father Markus

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 30, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Splorange posted:

I'm so sorry for your impending slog. I hope you didn't purchase this at full price.

Oh, hell no. I waited for the Steam Summer Sale and got this for under twenty bucks or so.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

All in good time.

Wiseblood posted:

This was a huge bummer. After being pleasantly surprised by Human Revolution I was actually optimistic that they would also do right by Thief.

I believe that Thief was developed by a different team even though the studio is the same. You can tell because the Thief team did not know about the 451 easter egg.

SirDifferential posted:

Somehow the video makes me feel a bit motion sick or confused. All that motion blur is not easy on my eyes.

Yeah, I'm just going to say right here that if you get motion sick easily then you should turn around now and not look back. Garrett's head will be bobbing quite frequently.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Original Garret was great because he was kind of a misanthropic loser. Extremely good at what he did, but like someone else said, lovely with money, not living in luxury, and constantly risking his life just to make rent. Didn't have many friends and only a few professional contacts and outright found himself on the wrong side of things most of the time until saving his own skin required him to get more deeply involved. Take the mission where a crime lord tries to have him killed for not joining the guy's stable of thieves; his response is to slip into the dude's mansion and steal the guy's purse off his belt to show him Garret can take whatever he wants. He's a character driven by pride, disdain, greed, and a strong desire not to be murdered, not any real sense of moral outrage or heroism. Basically, original Garret was actually a good Antihero.

The other good thing is that Garrett grew and changed as a character. At the beginning he wanted nothing to do with the Keepers and all their meddling, but after saving the day three times he had come to realize that he owed it to himself and to others to at least keep things from getting out of hand. That's why he got interested in actually learning the prophecies and why he seemed intent on recreating the Keepers without all the politics that got the last version into so much trouble.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

Watching the video, I have to ask... why have all these disguised loading screens and actual loading screens. Like if you are going to disguise them, why not disguise all of them and if you are ok with having actual loading screens why bother disguising some of them?

I'm really not sure. Mostly the transitions seem to be used to disguise loading screens within a mission, and it's easy enough to tell because sometimes the animation finishes before the loading does, forcing you to sit there mashing E as nothing happens. But then you've got loading screens between missions and then in the city areas it combines the two: you start a transition, go to a loading screen, and then once it's loaded Garrett finishes the transition. It's the worst of both worlds!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cartheon posted:

They are third person, but the early ones are very Thief-like in design, as far as making it more about sneaking than killing everything in sight.

You can also have a lot of pretty interesting conversations if you sneak up behind everyone. I still remember the one where Fisher asked a guard's opinion about the shiny new knife he was holding to the guy's throat.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

None of you guys get to be the control. At least not if you want to watch every video in this thread.

Q: What's up with that [DF] in the thread title?
A: It stands for Double Feature!

If you want to know what this is about, let me put it simply: The Dark Mod is more of a sequel to the first two Thief games than Thief 3 was. However, I should warn you that this includes both the bad and the good. The maps are potentially huge, but the initial loading times are long to match (thankfully quick saving/loading within a map is nice and quick). Being developed exclusively for the PC, TDM relies more on using the entire keyboard than on menus and context-sensitive buttons, and both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks. Also, it's still not the most stable of games. Still, TDM adds a physics engine to areas that look and sound remarkably like they were made in the Dark Engine, plus the guard AI has been improved significantly over the old games.

Another issue is that since TDM is fan-made, the maps can vary significantly in quality from one creator to another. My current collection (shown below) comes from a recommended list I found in the Thief thread in Games, but I haven't yet played most of them so I am entirely open to suggestions. My current idea is to play through the Thomas Porter series alongside the main chapters in Thi4f and then play through the more one-off stuff during exploration and side job videos. For this first video the choice was obvious: we'll be exploring The Tears of Saint Lucia, the map that's included with the basic download since it's a good, solid mission that's easy enough for beginners and contains a few secrets for advanced players.

Objectives
Map
John's note
Perre's note
Sophie's reply
Drunkenness punishment
Gambling punishment
Brigid's Blessing
The Reverend's journal
The guard's journal
The Pagan Problem
Confessional Records
Visitation Records
History of the Inquisition
Abagtha's note
Scriptures

I suppose I may need to up the brightness, though. Processing the videos tends to darken them.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 13, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Victis posted:

The Dark Mod is right, there were bits of pitch blackness that I had no idea what you were doing. I'm sure it's just ingrained play habits but any chance of using the lantern a bit more when dungeoneering?

Like I say at the end of the post, the real problem is that I could see things fine when I was playing but the video processing has muddied things up. I'll be sure to up the brightness for the next mission I play.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Wait, why is there mention of a God and saints, I thought the city only ever had Hammerites and those green fellows?

None of the mods are necessarily in-canon with the Thief franchise. I call the enemies here Hammerites because that's what they're based off of and it's just simpler to call them that, but the guy who made The Tears of Saint Lucia added a lot more Catholicism to their flavor than Looking Glass or Ion Storm ever did. It could be they'll be more faithful to their origins in the next mission that features them or it could be they'll be more transparently Catholic. Welcome to community-based content!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cartheon posted:

After watching the video, I'm surprised they didn't improve the AI enough to react to light sources going out. That is one thing Splinter Cell improved on. I never understood why the guards would stand around not noticing all of their light sources going out one by one.

The AI does react to lights going out, but whether it does so or not seems to be spotty at best. Partly it's thanks to a "clue" system where a doused torch, an open door, and missing treasure can all add up to a guard realizing that something's going on, but I just finished a practice run where I had to reload a certain area a few times, and while the first time I put out a torch a patrolling guard relit it, after I reloaded the same guard walked past the doused torch and did nothing.

Actually, the new Thief game has a pretty similar problem. If you put out a torch or candle while a guard is nearby, they'll notice and relight it, but if you put it out while nobody's nearby they'll just walk on by without even complaining about the draft.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I have a deadly serious question that makes or breaks whether I get TDM: does it have spiders?

Er, I killed a spider in the first mission here. Mind you it's in a completely bonus area, so it's easy enough to skip. Also, you're not the first person to bring up the giant spiders, so the community whipped together a list that points out which missions have spiders and which ones have undead.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Speaking of, what is Bobbins spoiler policy for this thread? Can't find anything in the OP besides the whole "no respect" thing, but i assume it's better to get into stupid plot points as/after they happen instead of frontloading that mess.

I didn't mention it because we're back to standard policy: please use spoiler tags when mentioning future events, and try to avoid extended discussions about such until the whole thread can follow along.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Maybe it'll appear later, but does this Thief game not have the little gem that told you whether you were visible or not? It doesn't seem like it does but maybe I missed it.

It's the circle in the lower-left corner that the health bar wraps around. There was a tutorial pop-up about it at around 6:45 in the video. There are only three levels of visibility, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Newspaper: The Benefits of Strict Curfew
Lockdown Regulations
Newspaper: Clock Tower Stops Again!
Lygrove's Letter
Newspaper: Who Watches the Watch Hounds?
Newspaper: Lockdown!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Don't forget the dinosaurs.

Burricks aren't dinosaurs, they're bulettes by another name.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Objectives
The Smuggler's Diary
Builder's Note
Unfinished Note
Haunted!
Elsie's TURF!

Maybe next time I'll grab a screenshot you can actually see on a bright background like this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Prenton posted:

What was the stuff written on the crates at the end?

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

What was written on the crates in the tunnel?

I knew I should have stopped to read those. The first crate says, "Nectar Goddess, I have given the oath of silence." The second says, "Nectar Goddess, grant your servant STRENGTH!" and the third is, "To hunt them To slay them! Like they Hunt US Like they Kill us!"

I'm not sure about the implications here. Is the Nectar Goddess some sort of undead Trickster? Did the ghoul (pretty sure it's a ghoul) scrawl the graffiti or were they already on the crates, meaning the smugglers stole them from something they really should have avoided? I still haven't played far into the Thomas Porter series, so this may very well be answered later. And if it is, please don't tell me what it's about, because I'd rather like to find out for myself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Spudd posted:

Maybe you could turn your light on when you know you're safe in an area, I know it would seem like extra work to know when is a good time to turn it on but it would help our viewing pleasure.

It's just that since it's a new feature I hardly remember it's there, plus I don't particularly have a hard time seeing while I'm recording. I've already turned up the gamma, and with any luck it'll make all the difference.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Funny thing about Looking Glass games and their voices, a lot of those people weren't actors in the first place. SHODAN/Victoria? Level designer.

The craziest thing about System Shock 2 is that the voice acting turned out as well as it did. I've played a few voiced adventure games from the mid to late 90's, and normally "competent" is not a word you'd use to describe when developers in-source the acting jobs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

We just finished the next recording session and I have to say Thi4f is giving us a surprising number of opportunities to make Monty Python's Holy Grail jokes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Seems I lost track of time.

Treason!
Coal Room Stash Note
Broken Glass
Transportation of Cadavers

The Mortal Coils

These bracelets, shaped like serpents, are said to seek the company of grateful widows. All six are rumored to carry an unspoken secret and darkness surely glitters in each shining eye.

Sootback Bracelet

Serendi Stone Circles

A set of matching precious-stone rings referred to as Circles by collectors of valuable antiques. Fashioned by the original and great Serendi himself, these rings are said to have acrostic significance.

Amethyst Circle

Unique Loot

A collection of unique loot that is more valuable to Garrett than their weight in gold.

The Glittering Plumage
Lygrove's Jewelled Mask

Client Loot

A collection of unique items that were lifted for various clients in The City.

Jewelled Mask

City Heritage Plaques

A record of the various historic buildings and monuments throughout The City.

Our Lady of the Iron Litany Chapel

Memories of the Dead

A long-lost tradition once existed that saw deceased relatives remembered with matching rings set in the bone of their ancestors. Inscribed with a memory, the rings enshrined those loved and lost so as to never be forgotten.

Charity's Memory

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Astus posted:

I think it's less "amnesia" and more "Garret has been out for a year because of some weird spell gone wrong". There's nothing for him to remember, he basically stopped existing for a year.

Yeah, it's not amnesia because Garrett can account for every moment that he was awake and active; he was simply unconscious for a full year after the accident and in the care of the beggar monarchy somewhere outside the city. Honestly, I've got to give the game a couple points for coming up with a fairly original reason for why the protagonist needs to be told what's going on, but then I also have to remove points for making the exposition lady such a stereotypical Mysterious and Wise Person Who Knows Everything about What's Going On But Won't Tell You a drat Thing.

VVVVV I wanted to make that comment, but I couldn't remember what she was called in Dishonored.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 24, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

Bobbin, you mention having some of the DLC. Do you have the bank mission?

It's probably the best mission in the game, its good enough that I'm angry that the entire game wasn't like it.

I, um, pointed out the bank mission when I showed off the Stonemarket map. So yes, yes I have it.

Hymirvetr posted:

I couldn't tell from the videos, but is the sound engine and directional sound still as broken as it was at the games release?

Maybe? The sound engine isn't as bad as I've heard, but it still gets funky. Like in the Chapter 1 video all it takes for a guard conversation to go from perfect clarity to noticeably muffled is to move a little bit to one side so there's a crate in the way.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 25, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hey, quick question here, but are there any (good) Dark Mod missions that involve breaking into a bank? I plan on tackling the DLC once I finish up Chapter 2 and I'd like something to use as a comparison. If there's nothing better, I plan on going with Lords and Legacy, but that mission's big enough to be worth a few videos on its own.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Objectives
Ralf's Bread
Symond's Letter
Ralf's Debts
Walt's Game
Attention Servants!
For Honorable Service
For Protecting the City
For Protecting the Nobility
An Unexpected Move
A Bold Move
Weight Sensor Mark IV
Walt's Concerns
Puzzle Lock Mark II
Poetry by Yrjaenae

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

So I actually liked that Thief 2014 separated that sort of thing out into a series of optional limitations you could set for yourself when starting a new game; that's a really good way to do it, I think. Of course I totally ignored all of them because you've always been able to choose to limit yourself if you want, but it's good that the options are there and - more importantly - that they're not enforced. (Doesn't save the rest of the game from being mediocre to awful, though.)

I suppose you don't know, then, but if you actually fulfill an optional condition the game awards you with a cash bonus. Where does this money come from? Who's paying it? It's never even addressed, let alone explained. Sorry to once again ruin ~YOUR IMMERSION~. ;)

Kiavahr posted:

But only a short sword, whatever difference that makes.

My only gripe is that you didn't eat the rear end in a top hat guard's bread, just to piss him off.

I did ensure that a goon will soon break his kneecaps, at least.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I'll be honest: I'm just following this thread for the Dark Mod videos.

Xander77 posted:

Absolutely serious - I have no idea how people are finding this interesting. It's just a bunch of waiting. The hard mode limitations in particular might challenge the player but make the video that much duller because there's really only one way to do things.

The wonderful thing about a double feature is that there's something for everyone!

Gantolandon posted:

there is a guard with a special helmet who's only susceptible to gas arrows (I don't remember if such guards didn't appear in Deadly Shadows first).

Mr. Clangey Head had only appeared in The Metal Age before The Dark Mod came about.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Break Spot
Renovation Notice
Stone Circle: Diamond Circle
Unique Loot: Soul of the Automaton
Cryptic Letter
Off-Limits
Dead List
Stripping Procedure
Client Loot: Corneleus's Ring

Flowers Eternal

Courting nobles from the great houses once practiced the custom of exchanging floral jewellery beneath the now-vanished dome of Auldale Botanical Gardens. The jewelled bouquets represented a love that would never die.

Daisy Brooch

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

It's like with the murder thing, though. He makes a big deal of it like it's a moral thing, not a 'hah, assholes are no better than me' thing.

Especially considering that Garrett insisted he doesn't rob graves back when he was talking to Basso. In Thi4f, the writing takes pains to show that Garrett has scruples, unlike those he's up against. In the old trilogy, all they did was show that Garrett was still a human being and then pitted him against villains who...really weren't.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Again, Garrett nicking pretty much only silverware and solid-cast metal objects is pretty much exactly the kind of poo poo a real thief would steal. Not everyone has piles of coin and jewelry laying around. Processed metal in general is valuable, and flatware/flasks/inkwells/watches are easy to carry.

That's just the thing, though. Old Garrett also stole tons of plates and goblets and jewelry and piles of gold coins--that hasn't changed--but because all the prices are much lower and over half the loot doesn't clear 10g, even when it's made out of gold, that is what gives Thi4f its sense of pettiness. The fact that it's all flatware now without a dish or a holy symbol to be found just adds to it.

They wouldn't even have to change that much considering they've already implemented a scaling price system. Just make the Master difficulty prices Normal instead and make everything except the coins worth five times as much. Bam, instant player satisfaction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kangra posted:

Lest you think this reflects any amount of cleverness on the part of the developers, they went with that title but then refer to him as "the General".

Yeah, that's kind of like calling an attorney-general "the General."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

The only element left is sprinkling everything with nudity to show that this is a mature game for serious players only, but given that there is a brothel level, we should see it soon enough.

You have no idea. Chapter 3 is gonna have :nws: sprinkled drat well everywhere.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Objectives
Map: Cellar
Map: 1st Floor
Map: 2nd Floor
Thief's Note
Welton's Pay
Remedies
Cookbook
Kitchen Hours
WTF Dude?
There's No P in Well
Mary's Letter
Isabella's Eels
Yardley's Escape
Church History pages 11-12
Welton's Wages
Isabella's Accomodations
Teresa's Journal
Guard Conduct
Day Roster
Saturday's Hanging
Teresa's Goodbye
Church History pages 5-6
Afferton's Bonus
Torn Pages
Harckoff's Excuse (Trumble)
Harckoff's Visitor (Trumble)
Trumble's Journal
Witcomb's Warning
Additional Objectives
Fire Damage
Church History pages 13-14
Harckoff's Visitor (Witcomb)
Witcomb's Worries
Harckoff's Orders
Visitors
Poker Face

Today's video is particularly wordy, but it's also a pretty good depiction of the intricate dance that goes on between a manor's lord and his servants. And then there's some creepy poo poo, but we won't be getting into that properly until next week.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

For how extreme it is trepanning actually has uses in modern medicine - though it's usually called a craniectomy - for treatment of cranial swelling or traumatic head injuries like subdural or epidural hematomas.

Plus it's not actually that extreme. I mean, yeah, you gotta have a steady hand to make sure the drill bit doesn't go in too far, but once it's over you fold the skin back and get on with life as usual, just with a weak spot somewhere on the top of your skull.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

paragon1 posted:

You're almost certain to catch a lethal infection in the brain because someone is sticking a tool in your head in a society that knows nothing about germ theory.

You'd think, but people have been surviving trepanation for over 8000 years.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I've played ahead in the dark mod (the Thomas Porter series, specifically), and all I can say is holy poo poo, it's several times better than even the original series. Also, I now suspect I know why Bobbin isn't showing off the attic.

Because I failed to find it? I can't exactly count on a comprehensive walkthrough for every Dark Mod mission, so my only research is usually to just play through each map once as practice. If I don't find something in either that attempt or the recorded run, then it's because I simply didn't know it was there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Crippled Burrick Tavern
NORTHCREST UNBOWED!
Stonemarket Clock Tower
Stonemarket First Bank
Mechanical Eyes
Letter to Maunders
Ashes Letter
Southrye Legacy
Audit
Letter to the Auditor
The Burnt Emerald - One
The Burnt Emerald - Two
The Burnt Emerald - Three
Lady Christina's Will

The Court of Montonessi

The last series of works by The City's irregular, some say disturbed, portrait painter Montonessi. He was incarcerated in Moira Asylum for the latter part of his life, where he painted some of his most particular pieces.
:nws:The Insatiable Appetite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I think the combat system is actually sort of detrimental to the idea of Thief. There's really no danger and it doesn't really punish you as it maybe ought to for failing at stealth.

That's only the case for one-on-one combat. Once two or more guards get involved, things get a lot more complicated. Sometimes multiple guards will attack you at once (and they don't always swing in unison), sword guards will throw stuff, crossbow guards will shoot at you, and if any of them manage to get behind you, you're basically dead. So combat is only ever easy if you manage to corner a guard on his own.

• Locked thread