Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It's fine I just got honked at and backed out well in time but now I feel weird Catholic guilt over the whole thing i always feel guilty if I make any mistakes all the time especially driving but everything else too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
you probably should have looked at the traffic light

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

not buy an audi

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

you probably should have looked at the traffic light

:negative:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I feel like I am bad at driving what's the solution before I kill somebody

Please don't merge onto the motorway like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loMSGMAs5XQ

Or this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ljQ1dU78E0

Or this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw58bBSbcD0

Thank you :)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
pay attention; you are controlling a big heavy chunk of metal on wheels powered by explosions that is going way faster than any human being was ever meant to travel

accidents before seat belts and crumple zones and Ralph Nader books were nasty as hell and pretty deadly

in conclusion please look at traffic lights OP

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Slap this sticker on your bumper, jump in, put the pedal to the metal and let it roar. Hammer down to Macontown, gonna see my Mama, for sure!

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Practice steering with your asscheeks so you can drive with your dilz flappping out the window, it will encourage other motorists to be extra cautious

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
If you want to go fast press on the pedal on the right, not the middle. The one in the middle will not make you go fast.

If there's a pedal on the left it's probably a clutch pedal and you're driving a manual transmission vehicle. If this is the case knowing how to drive such a vehicle would go a very long ways towards becoming a better driver.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

LifeSizePotato posted:

also do some mental math and realize that zipping in and out of traffic like an aggressive butthole and doing 20 over the speed limit will literally only get you to your destination like 2 seconds faster

This is good advice and everyone should listen to it but I mean its basically not true. I mean yes in a lot of situations you'll just end up at the same red light as the other rear end in a top hat but other times, you'll make that red light at the huge intersection and then you'll make the next one and by the end of your trip you've shaved 5-10 minutes off your drive. To say that driving faster and zipping in front of clueless drivers doesn't get you to your destination faster 100% of the time is not true. Its still basically a dick move but sometimes ya just gotta get to where you're going.

My biggest realization is that by and large, most people are pretty much just out of it. That or they're drugged up with anti-depressents and SSRIs and poo poo. Also a lot of people drive like they don't want to get to where they're going. Its really weird.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

visuvius posted:

This is good advice and everyone should listen to it but I mean its basically not true. I mean yes in a lot of situations you'll just end up at the same red light as the other rear end in a top hat but other times, you'll make that red light at the huge intersection and then you'll make the next one and by the end of your trip you've shaved 5-10 minutes off your drive. To say that driving faster and zipping in front of clueless drivers doesn't get you to your destination faster 100% of the time is not true. Its still basically a dick move but sometimes ya just gotta get to where you're going.

My biggest realization is that by and large, most people are pretty much just out of it. That or they're drugged up with anti-depressents and SSRIs and poo poo. Also a lot of people drive like they don't want to get to where they're going. Its really weird.

yeah i find that the latter is pretty often.

if you know your city/town well, you'll find those lights that have fuckoff long rear end pedestrian timers and which ones are synced down the road. usually missing a light at some intersections here have an always-active 30s ped timer, then theres a protected turn for the other side, etc etc. it's generally worth speeding up and making sure you get through it the next intersection shrinks and the the straight+leftturn is one lane with no easy way to get around and so if you get a guy waiting to turn left against a bunch of oncoming traffic you can be waiting for a another cycle. pretty much everyone has some experience with something similar, and when one thing turns into another and yea shaving 5 minutes is pretty common even on the shorter spectrum.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If you want to get in another lane, you don't have to speed up and pass them. If you've got space behind you just slow down a little and slip in behind the other card.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Buy a convertible, learn to keep track of where cars are around you by their sounds.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

If you are a woman you could consider gender re-assignment surgery.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
one of the main things no one understands about cars is how traction works because they dont teach it in places where theres driving school and no one talks about it except people who are in to Racecar Stuff

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

LifeSizePotato posted:

getting upset at people driving too slow (or at all) in the left lane is an indication that you need to chillax about driving and you probably aren't that good at it either

No, people who drive slow in the passing lane are lazy, terrible drivers who would not affect other people with their lazy, terrible driving if they followed the rules of the road.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I feel like I am bad at driving what's the solution before I kill somebody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx40udwQvZI

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Other than that, most of what matters when not driving like a Racecar is driving predictably and being aware of drivers around you. If you're predictable and check every time you change lanes or turn, you won't contribute to an accident, and if you're aware of everyone around you, you can protect yourself from other people's mistakes. God bless.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
be gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

LifeSizePotato posted:

also do some mental math and realize that zipping in and out of traffic like an aggressive butthole and doing 20 over the speed limit will literally only get you to your destination like 2 seconds faster

I hope you can see this because I'm doing it as hard as I can

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

• Locked thread