Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
i kind of go against the popular dream theory, honestly. i mean the movie was obviously about dreams in a lot of ways, but there's a reason "it was all a dream" is a lame cliche- it pointlessly diminishes something the audience is asked to invest in. saying it was a dream is a lazy way to force things into a coherent and cohesive finish- just because freddy winked it doesn't follow that he killed jason, that makes no sense. it means he's still out there, sure, but he had a sign that he was still out there at the end in almost all his films. he still didn't come back right away. just because he can come back doesn't mean he can do it easily or that he somehow "won". the whole premise of the movie was based on needing jason's help to escape hell! also, jason impaled him with his own arm. so basically if you look at it that jason won, we saw it happen, but if freddy won, it's some kind of future plan of his involving killing him by being his own severed head and it happens off screen? bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Probably nothing.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

what was actually happening was that david lynch was losing him mind because he is a crazy person because the movie made no goddamn sense

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's just a statement about how actors and specifically actresses are whores to their directors, complete with loads of "having his cake and eating it" moments.

Dianetics
Jun 6, 2014
Me jerking off.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
its actually leftover footage for a cancelled tv show randomly spliced together, iirc

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
eraserhead was ok but drat, that poor baby :(

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I've heard four or five theories that are all completely different -- and all entirely possible.
But that's Lynch for you.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
titties

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I have no goddamned idea.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

drugs

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
it's a metaphor for two lesbians playing patty cake.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller:

• Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: at least two clues are revealed before the credits.

• Notice appearances of the red lampshade.

• Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?

• An accident is a terrible event... notice the location of the accident.

• Who gives a key, and why?

• Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.

• What is felt, realized and gathered at the club Silencio?

• Did talent alone help Camilla?

• Notice the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkies.

• Where is Aunt Ruth?

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
You were watching the movie and having feelings about what you were seeing. It doesn't mean anything; its based on real life.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
poo poo, sorry, i misspelled freddy vs jason

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Honestly, I'm not even sure if Lynch knows what he's doing. Don't misread that. I liked the movie.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

again, i'm sorry, i meant to post a thread about freddy vs. jason. i'm not sure how i posted a thread about mulholland drive. i am currently contacting a moderator in an attempt to fix this

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Freddy is a pretty rubbish name for an omnipotent killer in my opinion.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
If you turn the VHS upside down and forward it at full speed it clearly says "the jews did 911" over and over again

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the movie was meaningful in the way a dream about you riding an elephant into a subway station and starting blowing yourself in front of cheese monkey pirates is meaningful

Cubone
May 26, 2011

generative grammer posted:

the movie was meaningful in the way a dream about you riding an elephant into a subway station and starting blowing yourself in front of cheese monkey pirates is meaningful

yes, but, who do you think won?

naem
May 29, 2011

I like the naked laidies

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

I don't think the Lynchverse has objective reality.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

This thread is about Freddy vs. Jason

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I never saw it. No spoilers please.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Cubone posted:

yes, but, who do you think won?

Chucky

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My theory is that New Line Cinema won, and the winking scene at the end was Freddy's way of telling the audience that film corporations own us all and there is no escape except the sweet mercy of decapitation.

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out the scene after the credits where the awkward teenager tells me to leave the theater.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

quakster posted:

its actually leftover footage for a cancelled tv show randomly spliced together, iirc

Yeah. It's like what happened to the pilot of Twin Peaks for European release. There it was a movie. So like imagine watching the pilot and then the dream sequence with the red room, except the whisper isn't blocked/silenced. That's what Europe first got for Twin Peaks.

It's a shame too I think it would've made a good show.

Real answer: I think the whole first half is denial. It's the idealized way the washed up neverwas wishes things had happened with her girlfriend, complete with only losing parts due to conspiracies. But she realizes she's actually had her former lover killed so offs herself.
Also there's the weird loop of maybe the fantasy happens after she's killed herself.

Mr. Nix
Jun 2, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah. It's like what happened to the pilot of Twin Peaks for European release. There it was a movie. So like imagine watching the pilot and then the dream sequence with the red room, except the whisper isn't blocked/silenced. That's what Europe first got for Twin Peaks.

It's a shame too I think it would've made a good show.

Real answer: I think the whole first half is denial. It's the idealized way the washed up neverwas wishes things had happened with her girlfriend, complete with only losing parts due to conspiracies. But she realizes she's actually had her former lover killed so offs herself.
Also there's the weird loop of maybe the fantasy happens after she's killed herself.

This is pretty similar to my interpretation, except the "denial" part doesn't occur in reality. I think it's pretty clear that Betty died at some point. I've always thought that the "denial" half of the film portrays the events of her life "flashing before her eyes" during her last few moments of consciousness after a successful suicide. However, instead of her actual life she re-imagines her life as she wish it had been - a young actress destined for success with a girlfriend who is deeply in love with her. The reality is that Betty was not successful as an actress and was simply used by Rita, who never loved her at all. In the the depths of her despair over her broken dreams and unrequited love she hires a low-rent hitman to kill Rita and, upon learning that the deed has been done, kills herself as well.

"What is realized" in Silencio is that the idyllic life she's currently experiencing is false, and that she's already dead. She's unable to control her tears as she realizes that she's lost her dreams a second time and her life forever.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Dianetics posted:

Me jerking off.

Correct answer

naem
May 29, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I never saw it. No spoilers please.

naked laidies

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Some kind of elaborate scheme to get pseudointellectual retards to proudly identify themselves

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

mulholland drive is an extremely good movie

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

naem posted:

I like the naked laidies
A man after my own heart.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Cubone posted:

just because freddy winked it doesn't follow that he killed jason, that makes no sense. it means he's still out there, sure, but he had a sign that he was still out there at the end in almost all his films. he still didn't come back right away.

it was a fun, creative way to make the fight a tie and not offend the fanboys.

for some reason a consensus formed that jason won, which is dumb and misses the point, and suggests friday the 13th fans are dumb

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

romanowski posted:

mulholland drive is an extremely good movie

it is

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
aside from the naked laidies, this was my fav scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLza4B6XhA

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's what's going through the blonde lesbian's mind as she's fisting her partner but starting to have doubts about the stability of their relationship.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's a psychic construct created by Diane Selwyn to process the fact that she decided to have the woman she loved killed.
"dream" is the wrong word. We don't control our dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Never seen it as I don't watch movies about driveways

• Locked thread