Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
When you dive up your own rear end, know that your players are pulling poo poo out of theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm John Stuart Mill and I think it's rad that Utility is doubled from the first panel to the last.
\

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I'm John Stuart Mill and I think it's rad that Utility is doubled from the first panel to the last.
\

Seriously- the text tries to argue "Oh, it'll die out now that THE CORES are gone" but the visual story is still "more people are playing and having fun."

They are so close to it but they can't see it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Yes, 4e is not a very good RPG. It's more like a board game with RPG elements. Combat is slow, complex, and allows for no creativity. Powers are only described in rules terms, they don't actually have a diegetic explanation in game, which means that you can't find creative uses for your spells and abilities.

There's nothing wrong with playing or liking 4e, but it's not really a role-playing game.

quote:

PHB 1, page 145:
Warlord's Favor, Warlord
With a calculated blow, you leave your adversary exposed to an imminent attack from one of your closest allies.
PHB 2, page 35:
Overwhelming Strike, Avenger
As you attack, you maneuver around your foe, forcing it to move with you.
PHB 3, Page 121
Stampede Shot, Seeker
Spectral Bison appear and follow your projectile as it streaks toward your enemy.
Heroes of the Fallen Lands, page 91:
Shield of Faith, Cleric
A gleaming shield of divine energy appears over you, granting you and nearby allies protection against attacks
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, page 124:
Holy Smite, Paladin
Your weapon fills with divine radiant energy, which bursts forth as you strike your enemy

quote:

Right, there's flavor text, but there's no mechanism of action that can be explained in diegetic terms. Perhaps not for every single power without exception, but it's certainly the norm. And the whole daily/encounter power system is massively dissociated, as well.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Seriously- the text tries to argue "Oh, it'll die out now that THE CORES are gone" but the visual story is still "more people are playing and having fun."

:reject::"No, my enjoyment is intellectual and refined and therefore worth 3x as much as those jocks' mere fun."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

inklesspen posted:

Yep. Crossbowmen were great but not as great as longbowmen, and there were a couple of key mistakes the French made. (Their crossbowmen were hired mercenaries.) They fought shortly after a rainstorm (bows could easily be unstrung and the strings kept dry, but not so for the crossbows) and screwed up their logistics train (the crossbowmen used shields to duck behind while reloading; these shields were stuck at the back of the train). Then when the crossbows had failed to produce the expected result, the French cavalry attacked their mercenaries while they were trying to retreat.

The thing about crossbows, though, is they didn't require anywhere near as much training as the longbow. That's what made them truly devastating; if you got the logistics right, you could field thousands of poorly-trained conscript soldiers and they would still be a deadly force.

Those mercenary crossbowmen were professionals. They worked in teams of two and three and used a drill to maintain continuous fire(one man fired, others reloaded). When armor quality improved, bows lost a lot of their effectiveness. The advantages of longbowmen came more to tactical circumstance than some innate advantage in capability.

The main disadvantage of the French was their poor use of light troops, which meant that they were quite often at a disadvantage tactically. After the Hundred Years' War, the French tried to include lighter troops but new problems were cropping up and Swiss pikemen became the dominant infantry type until the Spanish made some innovations that ushered in the shot and pike era.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Covok posted:

I feel there is a leap of logic in the above. Why would a game the focuses on the exploration of nihilism and the nature of good and evil lead to making power rangers as PCs and other poo poo of "halfling-hiding-in-whore's rear end" caliber?

Different DM in that case. The German guys games tended to involve stuff like fantasy post apocalypse scenarios in the vein of Boy and His Dog meets Black Company or campaigns where players all have different hidden goals but it turns out that everyone got the "secretly murder other players" goal.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just noticed that too - it's the same number of people playing except:

1. The people now playing are more diverse.
2. The people now playing are still having fun.
3. The people that left are shitlords, which is a net plus for the hobby now that they're gone.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This thread is some weak poo poo. About two pages of hardly any grog?

Desborouggggleblglgle posted:

Gamergate the Card Game commemorates THE defining culture war of this generation - by taking the piss out of all sides.

Comics fans had Frederic Wertham.

Tabletop gamers had Pat Pulling.

Computer games previously had Jack Thompson.

Now all we have to contend with are upper middle class people with blue hair buckling under crippling white guilt... fighting trolls.

A two player adversarial game, you'll compete with the Social Justice Warriors trying to get away with egregious breaches of ethics before Gamergate can create enough of a fuss and social pressure to expose them, all the while flaming each other on Twitter, screaming for attention and being trolled hard.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gradenko_2000 posted:

Blah Blah Diegetic Blah

I see someone is using a word without knowing what it means.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Omnicrom posted:

I see someone is using a word without knowing what it means.
I had a professor who used it like that so I'm willing to let it go... Not willing to let it go that he's talking out of his rear end on the substance of his claim though.

:v: "Powers just have mechanics and no real explanation in the game world."
:colbert: *Posts several powers and their explanations in the game worlds.*
:v: "Well that doesn't really count because you see"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Shit_that_didnt_happen_even_in_a_game.txt
That would have been a perfectly serviceable plan if they'd just had the 'concubine' stab the villain. Why an anal-dwelling butt-halfling? Unless your goal was to be gross as hell... it's 4chan of course that was their goal, never mind.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 4, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ascendance posted:

This seems quite self-explanatory. Reminds me of the horror of FATAL.

This is loving hilarious, but probably bullshit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plague of Hats posted:

This thread is some weak poo poo. About two pages of hardly any grog?

Insofar as this is funny at all and not just sad, it's particularly funny that they list "Comicbook allies" when comics fandom has pretty unilaterally told Gamergate off and is generally associated with a pretty high level of anti-sexism and other social-justice activism. Just keep sayin' it and it might be true, James "Please Dear God Someone Give Me A Cool Nickname" Desborough!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:regd08:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yes of course. Because refusing to carry a terrible product is proof of collusion and falls under the purview of anti-trust law. In recent news I created a hilarious new t-shirt, and it is illegal for Target not to sell it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

@DriveThruRPG You lost a customer here. You shoudn't have listened to the willing lackeys of immoral corporate media.

Amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dare I ask what the story is here

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It sounds like Drivethru won't sell his schoolgirl tentacle rape cardgame and he's blaming BIG GAMING because some other developers, ones with souls, said they didn't want to be associated with a company that sells that poo poo.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

moths posted:

It sounds like Drivethru won't sell his schoolgirl tentacle rape cardgame and he's blaming BIG GAMING because some other developers, ones with souls, said they didn't want to be associated with a company that sells that poo poo.

I figured it was the gamergate cardgame mentioned a couple posts above

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

I figured it was the gamergate cardgame mentioned a couple posts above

It is, that's no longer on the drivethru site.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, well poo poo. That makes sense.

Found this gem while deciding if I should take advantage of Privateer's bundle deal on the IK RPG:

quote:

Should not have mixed miniatures and pen & paper RPG, November 20, 2012

Wonderful setting, clunky rules that were re-utilized from the miniatures game, looking very simplistic in some fields, like unified damage dice, while having many different abilities that feel almost like D&D 4e powers. I was caught by the setting since the d20 edition, and was looking forward for the appropriate rules, but I'm disappointed with the result. I gave three stars only for the setting and beautiful interior and exterior art, the rules have that hard to swallow "game-istic" and "videogame-istic" feel that ruins immersion and makes the actual play looks like a miniature game, and not a RPG; my group had a hard time incorporating the characters, it all felt too artificial.

Miniatures-based combat in a game based on a miniatures combat game feels like a game? Those fuckers.

NOT A TRUE ROLE PLAYING GAME EXPERIENCE

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

4Chan posted:

No, but in all of human history warfare has been about trade-offs. Speed vs. protection, accuracy vs. rate of fire, etc. In EVERYTHING we humans know there has been a trade-off. You couldn't have it all. You can't have the super-protective armour that at the same time let's you keep your dexterity and speed, and making a fantasy universe where that is true (personally) ruins the immersion.

One guy asked for Marines in Power Armor yet without pauldrons. Some other guy got really upset that Tac Marines and Assault Marines wear the same armor.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
Wait are we allowed to use 4chan as a source now?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Not selling his lovely card game: just like not baking cakes for gay people. :psyduck:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Pulsedragon posted:

Wait are we allowed to use 4chan as a source now?

I believe it was always allowed just sparingly and in context.

Elf Slave Wat Do is just :effort:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

4chan is like fishing with dynamite.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ronwayne posted:

Elf Slave Wat Do

What's the story behind this? There's a pretty decent fantasy art tumblr with that name, but I don't remember them posting anything too objectionable other than their name.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Someone posts a cartoon/animu/deviant art picture of a female elf with the text suggesting what will you do with this helpless elf female, my fellow neckbeards? After a time it just became a non-sequitur to shout/post, like beecock/cuck/small bart is on SA. Sort of like how "ring around the rosies" is no longer assorted with apocalyptic plauge death.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

moths posted:

Oh, well poo poo. That makes sense.

Found this gem while deciding if I should take advantage of Privateer's bundle deal on the IK RPG:

Miniatures-based combat in a game based on a miniatures combat game feels like a game? Those fuckers.

NOT A TRUE ROLE PLAYING GAME EXPERIENCE

Haha. The minis ruin the immersion? The fact that the minis you can get are purposefully designed for that setting?

Why is it assumed just because it uses minis for combat (and it works well I might add) that it is then assumed the entire game should be run as a minis dungeon crawl?

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Whoops, failed my don't-be-a-bastard save.

quote:

I would like to state of how much the way the current voting block is making me nervous. The vote is whether to change the terminology of the First Tongue. At first, I wanted it to stay the same because it's hard for me to pronounce the new versions. Then I notice that the new terms sounded a bit Arabian, like in Arabian Nights and RPGs set in a fictional version of the Middle East. Then that led to the crazy stuff that ISIS is doing. Given that werewolves love to hunt, I worry that the Uratha and the Pure would be seen as jihadist-like groups in the World of Darkness.

Looking at the ratings, I think my opinion won't matter anyway, but when they do get accepted as the Lexicon, I plead with Onyx Path to make them alternative terms than the official. When I think about Werewolf: The Forsaken, I don't want to be reminded of ISIS.

quote:

I sorry about that. I know nothing about Sumerian lingo, and I immediately thought Arabian because it's the earliest thing I know of that uses that type of pronounciation with their language. I'm not as educated as other people on this forum about this topic, but whenever I hear the language I think of every pop culture reference set in the Middle East because the same pronouncation is used there.

I know it may be nothing, but my disorder wouldn't allow me to rightly be calm about this after be subjected to everything that these vocal minorities have done in the Middle East (on TV four the past fourteen years. I bet that there were some British players that were concerned in the 90s about playing with the Fianna, given that in the decade before, there was a radical Irish extremist group using car bombs to force the British out of Ireland. It was in the news during that time. When these terms are used, I don't hear "Sumerian", I hear "Arabian", and that flares up my "irrational" fears, as much as other players like me.

And I don't like it when people brush off my concerns like that without consideration, like what ArcaneArts did. It's like laughing at a person with more serious problems than I do because it makes them feel better.

So please, allow me the decency to use the old terms in Werewolf as the new terms offends me.

quote:

First, I want to thank those who are allowing me to use the old terms. I hope Onyx Path will allow the same discretion.

Second: I don't think Arab = Terrorist. There are only a very vocal minority that are linked to terrorist groups. It's like thinking Old Testament = Westboro Baptist. I'm just saying that it concerned me because of all the hype on the major news channels. The majority of those living in the Middle East are just hard-working people. Don't just assume that a person is racist because of a single concern on their part.

I will respect those that use the new terms, and I hope I'm not shut out by players when I use the Old Terms.

I hope that Onyx Path speaks about this in respect for those who want the new terms and those who want the old standby when they write-up the spirits in 2E.

Also, thank you for the info on Sumerian language, but I must tell you that there will be players of the TLR variety that will blow off the info like some conservatives do with certain aspects of science.

quote:

And in a sort of circle jerk, you implied that I'm racist because of said equation. Plus, the reason why I think Arabian when I see the words is that NO ONE, BUT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TELLING ME I'M WRONG, KNOWS IT'S SUMERIAN! I don't know Sumerian, my Mom doesn't know Sumerian, my brother doesn't know Sumerian, and the guys that I game with doesn't know Sumerian. It's comments like yours that me feel like a high school graduate discussing literature with Harvard Valedictorians and I'm sick to death on this elitist snobbery. And to use the term "racist" for people who don't agree with people like you just makes me wonder why I spend my time discussing these topics. Plus, I HAVE ASD, okay? I won't get all the cues that you do, but it doesn't excuse the fact that you insulted me when I was trying to concede. This makes me hope that the Ghost Wolves are the third voice in 2E, because I don't want to be on EITHER side, if people are just going to troll each other.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nobody tell that guy about the term "Jyhad" in oWoD. I think he might die.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dr_ether posted:

Haha. The minis ruin the immersion? The fact that the minis you can get are purposefully designed for that setting?

Why is it assumed just because it uses minis for combat (and it works well I might add) that it is then assumed the entire game should be run as a minis dungeon crawl?

Judging from John Wicks' 3e review in the old grog thread, use of minis was looked down upon in the early 2000s as well. I wasn't a gamer then and this is assuming John Wick wasn't just talking for himself, but, if it's true, I wonder why. Is it s cost thing? Is it an attempt to distance the hobby from wargames? For people who were into GNS theory, was it because it limited narrative power? Or, at least, was perceived to?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Covok posted:

Judging from John Wicks' 3e review in the old grog thread, use of minis was looked down upon in the early 2000s as well. I wasn't a gamer then and this is assuming John Wick wasn't just talking for himself, but, if it's true, I wonder why. Is it s cost thing? Is it an attempt to distance the hobby from wargames? For people who were into GNS theory, was it because it limited narrative power? Or, at least, was perceived to?

Well he did write a rant about roleplaying, rules, and social roleplay and how it is better to just act than roll.

Honestly, having run a fair amount of IKRPG, and WoD, I like both for what they give. With decent minis, scenery etc, it made IKRPG a lot easier for fight scenes and for people to explain what they wanted to do. Of course all other scenes are just normal mini-less rp. I don't get why that is a bad thing when trying to imagine the entire fight scene in your head can be a lot more effort than just getting the minis out.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

ROLEPLAYING, NOT ROLLPLAYING.

Basically starting in the 90's you had games increasingly try to distance themselves from D&D, the most successful being Vampire: the Masquerade. Nerds being nerds, this almost immediately turned into bickering as to which game was the one for mature, intelligent, sophisticated roleplayers. White Wolf, despite like 90% of their rules still being about combat, played of their stereotype as being all about stories and drama and being your character as opposed to D&D's brute hack and slash. D&D in turn got on it's own metagame train and started to vomit out settings like there was no tomorrow and push novels harder then D&D has ever pushed before or since. So even before the whole GNS thing everyone was screaming that only they were the true roleplayers not like those other storygamers or rollplayers or what have you. By 2000 you had 3e trying to step away from all of this by advertising itself BACK TO THE DUNGEON and COOL PRECISE FIGHTING RULES and AWESOME CHARACTER BUILDING METAGAME, but then the Forge hit the internet and threw out the GNS theory which labeled D&D exactly what it had been labeling itself as only for D&D fans to get insulted and begin backtracking immediately and screaming about how D&D isn't just dungeon crawls and fighting rules and character building.

It's not even as if this is only a tabletop gaming thing, mind you. Look at how many people in the video game hobby lost their poo poo over Gone Home or how smug people get over not liking Cal of Duty or whatever. Nerds being insufferable and exclusionary is maybe just an inherent thing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Covok posted:

It's a symptom of the kind of game and/or player group where it is considered necessary and/or convenient to keep track of positions in combat. I'd say it's not so much that it limited narrative power as it was that it implied the kind of game where narrative isn't everything the main focus. In part - again I believe - because of the association it brought to a) mechanically rigorous games, and b) D&D. The frmer for not being about the narrative and the latter for not being narratively focused enough. If you feel a disdain for the kind of games typically run using D&D and its ilk, it's a natural tactic to attack the symptoms of D&D-esque gaming. And besides, if you hammer it in enough that miniatures aren't for real roleplayers, then the kind of games where you really should be using miniatures to keep track of the 30 attacking orks and whether someone are attacking from a flank or not become nigh unplayable - so people are channeled towards less wargame-like RPGs because they have bad experiences from trying to play a square game with round play aids.

This is less of an active conspiracy and more of a wild speculation mixed with some pop-cultural knowledge of how groups interact though; on the converse side, you have all the guffawing and hawing whenever someone suggests playing a GM-less or freeform RPG, which serves much the same social purpose.

drat, I should pay in rum mixed with water:

Naive guy posted:

This is to explore the idea if "Gypsies" (And I'm aware that some Roma people consider this an offensive term, and some don't, so I'll avoid using the term as much as possible from here on) as they appear in classic gothic horror stories and movies, can be incorporated into modern Horror Games such as the World of Darkness, without being horribly offensive or overly stereotypical.

So first let's get a few things out of the way....

We'd of course ignore all terrible concepts like "Blood Purity" and "all Roma are con people" and "all Roma are secretly magical people" type thing...

But is it possible, to imagine there might be SOME Roma caravans and tribes, who do in fact have secret knowledge of the Supernatural, and may practice their own form of family magic (Much like say a group such as the Arcanum, Mage Crafts/Traditions or various Hedge Magic groups in Nwod) that's kept very insular and to themselves?

It wouldn't be due of course to the Roma types having some sorta "mystic blood" nonsense, but rather be simply due to factors like every other secret occult group in the WoD.... Many many years ago, some of the individuals came across the supernatural, learned from it, developed their own magical tradition, and rather than making it a mystery cult or secret society, decided to keep it among nomadic family lines...

This would mean their particular brand of magic could be learned by dedicated outsiders, but most likely the magic practicing roma families would keep a tight lid on it, and or like other WoD groups, hunt down those who show outsiders and eliminate them.

In any case...while the old "Magic Gypsies and Thieves" can be seen as offensive, I would hope their could be a way to present the idea of the secret mystic nomads who practice their own art, and cross paths with various supernatural types.... In oWod it could be a mage Craft group, while in Nwod it could be presented as a 2nd tier Hunter Conspiracy perhaps.

"I want to take the core elements of the racist depiction of the Roma people to depict the Roma people, only with all the racist stuff removed!" :allears:

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 6, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ProfessorCirno posted:

ROLEPLAYING, NOT ROLLPLAYING.

Basically starting in the 90's you had games increasingly try to distance themselves from D&D, the most successful being Vampire: the Masquerade. Nerds being nerds, this almost immediately turned into bickering as to which game was the one for mature, intelligent, sophisticated roleplayers. White Wolf, despite like 90% of their rules still being about combat, played of their stereotype as being all about stories and drama and being your character as opposed to D&D's brute hack and slash. D&D in turn got on it's own metagame train and started to vomit out settings like there was no tomorrow and push novels harder then D&D has ever pushed before or since. So even before the whole GNS thing everyone was screaming that only they were the true roleplayers not like those other storygamers or rollplayers or what have you. By 2000 you had 3e trying to step away from all of this by advertising itself BACK TO THE DUNGEON and COOL PRECISE FIGHTING RULES and AWESOME CHARACTER BUILDING METAGAME, but then the Forge hit the internet and threw out the GNS theory which labeled D&D exactly what it had been labeling itself as only for D&D fans to get insulted and begin backtracking immediately and screaming about how D&D isn't just dungeon crawls and fighting rules and character building.
Not just the 1990s - back in the 1980s there were lots of efforts to come up with a version of D&D that was both more "realistic" and had rules for things other than moving down dungeon corridors and having fights. Skill systems, ads/disads, personality mechanics, economic and crafting systems, non-adventuring character types, and all the rest of the stuff that came from GURPS and Hero and BRP/RuneQuest and Rolemaster and on and on - not to mention the sort of things people bolted onto their D&D games to make them more complicated and realistic or at least cover more territory (a lot of D&D games I played then in used BRP's D100% skill system to handle non-combat things). Hell, Gygax's AD&D comes across in a lot of ways as an effort to improve D&D by include a wider range of stuff and broadening its scope compared to its OD&D roots.

Smug nerds (like, uh, me at the time) looked down on D&D as the sort of simple-minded (yet also overly-complicated!) game that you played until you were ready for a real roleplaying game that wasn't just mindless combat and powering up, and pitied the people who stuck with it despite the presence of so many obviously better choices.

And the 1990s took that strain and ran with it, both with WW/WoD's alleged emphasis on story and mood and theme and political maneuvering and the explosion in super-detailed metaplotted settings (which included a lot of AD&D worlds, where you had to read a stream of tie-in novels if you wanted to keep up with the ongoing changes) and eventually culminating in things like 7th Sea and Brave New World and Trinity, where critical setting details about what was really going on were withheld from the GM until more than a dozen supplement books were published.

D&D 3E was (as you point out) a clear break from this progression, with its original emphasis on straight-up Dungeoneering and its detailed tactical combat rules and its original emphasis on toolkit-style design (for the GM to build his world from) instead of hyper-detailed pre-made settings. And this drove a number of people completely bugfuck, because it wrecked their notion of the hobby inexorably evolving from its base, vulgar, crude Gygaxian roots towards a more refined story/narrative gaming thing. Wick in particular is furious because his preferred style of play (GM tells an intricate story full of important NPCs that PCs flit around in) was being deprecated in favor of a kill things/take stuff/level up/gently caress yeah throwback approach.

It's particularly funny because by the time 4E came out, 3E had evolved (in many nerd minds) into this intricately detailed and infinitely customizable game engine that WotC unforgivably pitched aside in favor of a tabletop WoW emulator boardgame for babbies that wasn't even a real RPG. This, depsite the fact that 3E was full of range templates and facing rules and flanking effects and grappling rules that were like a zen koan to decipher and, oh yeah, Attacks Of Opportunity. Which just goes to prove your point that...

quote:

Nerds being insufferable and exclusionary is maybe just an inherent thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What I usually hear is that miniatures "distract" from the ROLEplaying by "making players focus too much on the map" and not on coming up with creative descriptions for their actions.

While some of that can undoubtedly be chalked up to a DM that doesn't try and make an interesting battlefield (if it's just going to be a wide open plain then yeah just TOTM that poo poo), it always strikes me as an astounding failure of imagination.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

What I usually hear is that miniatures "distract" from the ROLEplaying by "making players focus too much on the map" and not on coming up with creative descriptions for their actions.

While some of that can undoubtedly be chalked up to a DM that doesn't try and make an interesting battlefield (if it's just going to be a wide open plain then yeah just TOTM that poo poo), it always strikes me as an astounding failure of imagination.

Different people visualise things different ways. And some people are more creative when starting with a blank sheet of paper, others with limits. It really doesn't help that there's a certain amount of learned helplessness in a number of grid based systems, with the system telling you what you can't do rather than showing you things you can (3.X being a prime offender)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I wonder where those girls and "Dudebros" come from (I'm using dudebro in all my conversations now because it makes me laugh) because I see exactly 0 women who aren't just as nerdy and weird as the men at my FLGS, and its not much different with the RPG groups. Exactly 0 "dudebros" unless I'm what they are talking about because I occasionally talk about sports and poo poo while doing my nerd stuff.

Wait was this talking stuff going on in a high-school or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Numlock posted:

I wonder where those girls and "Dudebros" come from (I'm using dudebro in all my conversations now because it makes me laugh) because I see exactly 0 women who aren't just as nerdy and weird as the men at my FLGS, and its not much different with the RPG groups. Exactly 0 "dudebros" unless I'm what they are talking about because I occasionally talk about sports and poo poo while doing my nerd stuff.

Wait was this talking stuff going on in a high-school or something?

They are talking in the context of non organized game groups, IE you have four guys who like some nerdy games/whatever and they decide to split the starter box for the Game of Thrones LCG, or you have a small group of friends who plays a miniatures game in a garage. I've seen the progression they are talking about in that comic happen many times but not for the reasons they state, it's usually because a small number of the players are socially stunted manchildren who can't handle an expanding social circle with changing tastes. Because what they are describing (from a twisted and wrong point of view) is a social circle of friends forming initially around an activity and then expanding to wanting to be a group of people that does things together that isn't just the initial activity. These are the kinds of people who can't realize that just because everyone they are friends with met playing Magic, and Magic was what initially made them friends it doesn't mean that Magic is the only thing they do when they are together.

There is a long rear end history of insane nerd tribalism and inability to comprehend people who have interests that exist beyond a very small sphere of "things I am obsessed with".

• Locked thread