Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MizPiz posted:

May not be the what he's saying exactly, but it's basically the point he's trying to make.

Haha the best part is when the green and brown dudes ditch the lame cards for blunts and cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rkajdi posted:

Uh, that's a lot of the reason I want a more inclusive hobby. RPGs and especially miniature games are having a tough time of it, so growing the base by being inclusive is the best way to keep the hobby alive. Part also is that that it drives the bigots into a corner so I don't have to deal with them, but we need to do something to keep from being the next model trains.

EDIT: I'll also agree with guys up thread that anti-semitism in gaming is a bigger things than you'd otherwise expect. I remember a bunch of guys calling me jew or some idiot variant of it, and I'm not even actually Jewish (I just apparently look like it and have a "Jewish name" whatever that means) It's annoying as hell, but not surprising every time it rears its ugly head.

One good thing about the only mini game I play now, x-wing, is that the people who play it are chill and typically cool dad types who tell me about buying "stuff for their kids" *posts Xmas photo holding a giant falcon in front of a tree*

I am glad that the bigots are contained within magic and 40k - for now. In that respect they are serving the greater minis/RPGS (I'm guessing pathfinder does the same for 4/5e) fan base in a useful fashion.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maybe. X-wing in this case, like FFG's other products like the highly touted 40k RPG, tends to be quite progressive especially with their women characters. I just don't see how grogs could crop up when the writers and artists take care of that, but grogs can be creative so *shrugs*

I wouldn't call them a small publisher but they are obviously smaller than the big Giants. However, their stock is taking up more and more shelf space as time goes by.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Actually we just had a conversation about the general lee and placing rebel flags on ships in the x-wing thread so yeah. Nova squad group is the largest in x-wing, and I'm part of it, but being part of the "beltway liberal" mentality probably adds a lot to that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well technically one side has bears...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys keep speaking about Mikan and I never see them posting anymore. What happened to Mikan. :ohdear:

Slimnoid posted:

Zangief can straight up one-shot most things in oWoD with a piledriver.

All is right with the world.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's too bad to hear what happened to Mikan. Though it's not surprising since GG operates in the same way. I miss Mikan and that other guy who used to post about King Arthur a lot.

Caros posted:

Irony of the day, I've had the misfortune of playing both and BESM d20 is actually less broken and lovely than BESM 3rd because at least it builds off of a foundation that is functional, even if it frequently has abilities and powers that don't match up in costs or do nothing at all.

I've tried various iterations of BESM and for the life of me I still can't figure out how a game based around the chaos of anime, ANIME, for crying out loud, was as clunky and awkward as it was. I'm glad more rules light systems are around now and they're much better for the genre. Had I known it was around back then I think even dogs in the vineyard would've been an excellent system for an anime game. But screw BESM for mucking up what should be the easiest rule set for anime ever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The old grogs with nasty beards with a family history tracing back to the Norse probably imagine themselves belonging to that group, So it makes sense.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ixjuvin posted:

As long as we're talking Gygaxgrog (the purest grog of all?) I have a nifty little book passed down from my rad nerd dad called Role-Playing Mastery. It's mostly pretty decent advice, although it has a weird father-knows-best tone. Also he uses the word 'milieu' like every other page, which perhaps is where all these dorks get it from. But this little tidbit jumped out at me:

Mana, you say? Preposterous.

Was final fantasy ever decried as being for babies or that DND was too close to FF? Like the way grogs compare DND4 to WOW? Or was it never used cuz those dirty Asians don't know anything about real role playing anyway

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hodgepodge posted:

The magic system in FF1 is a lot closer to D&D (it was a really blatant rip off of D&D and Dragon Quest/Warrior). There were several "levels" of spells, and you could cast spells from a given level X times without resting.

Right, so was there grog about this? This was all before my time and the Internet wasn't around back then but surely there were some in '97(?) or so when FF7 and afterwards hit it big in the US

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the name of the Romance of the three kingdoms guy who was so cool he shouted at the opposing general, causing him to die and his troops to flee? This is why the warlord owns and I remember seeing a YouTube clip of a movie that included this exchange.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's Zhuge Liang/Kongming, who taunted an opposing general so thoroughly that he had an aneurysm and died. About 50% of the awesome things that happened in Three Kingdoms were done by Zhuge Liang, including routing an opposing army after his death.

e: Here is the clip you almost certainly saw: Zhuge Liang vs Wang Lang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-W06fiwlo

It's definitely this one but the Zhang Fei owns too. That bridge battle :pusheen:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chaltab posted:

:sigh: That was a quote.

Its ok I knew it was but I wanted to find the name of that cool Chinese General anyway. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am using the warlord videos now to coax some local grogs out of their hole. The good thing is that it doubles as a litmus test for those who are irredeemable and/or racist. These threads have always been good for deconstructing arguments and bringing those on the fence out of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veyrall posted:

To quote another poster: What videos are these? They sound right up my alley

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's Zhuge Liang/Kongming, who taunted an opposing general so thoroughly that he had an aneurysm and died. About 50% of the awesome things that happened in Three Kingdoms were done by Zhuge Liang, including routing an opposing army after his death.

e: Here is the clip you almost certainly saw: Zhuge Liang vs Wang Lang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-W06fiwlo

And the post after it. They own and the warlord will be missed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's wrong with that last quote? You could just end up trying to role play an honest shopkeeper, in the example given. Every session would start just like you'd open up a shop, sweep and restock, all the niceties. Earn a little money, maybe climb the social ladder instead of being a murder hobo.

I've played Econ simulator and model UN with RPG's before. Or keep it in the smaller scale if it's supposed to be "realistic". The Sims is like the most popular RPG and that's all you do in there.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 21, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Halloween Jack posted:

He does this in AD&D1e.

He's a real-life example of a caricature that we've made fun of in the days of grognards.txt yore. He plays AD&D. He assumes fighters and wizards and monsters and dungeons and adventuring parties and all that rot, yet the game is somehow set in early modern France. And apparently, when the party acts on those assumptions, he treats them like poo poo for it.

His contribution to the hobby is zillions of pages of "trade tables" which you can use to determine the cost of imported Arabian cinnamon in medieval Prague.

In AD&D1e?

Ah ok. That actually sounds like fun in the "campaign for North Africa" sort of way. But I can see why people wouldn't like it. I am not familiar with ADND1 and we used 4e for it. I suppose the assumption I was missing was that the players didn't want that type of game, but it's a neat exercise IMO. The economic results of foisting tons of equipment in a region has never really been explored. Of course, that's prob cuz of a genre non-expectation but it's an interesting question.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I for one am ridiculously proud of rolling dice repeatedly for success the same way I'm proud of a new lifting PR or successfully throwing a chain of difficult boxing combos.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tollymain posted:

grognards once again trying to come up with terrible strawmen and accidentally coming up with awesome things instead

Goatse was just using his rectal muscles to open a portal. :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dawkins was really patient, soft spoken, and kind to the creationist woman in that one debate. Never knew there was a controversy about how bad he was. And it's odd that some statements about how religion is child abuse is negative when there are anti-vaxxers and people around who prefer prayers over treatment.

• Locked thread