Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The struggle is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I actually get the feeling that if it wasn't for the paranoia and persecution complex, Pundit would be a kind of cool guy. He's demonstrated disgust with the GamgerGaters, and like you said, he doesn't have a problem with social justice outside of gaming. It's just that anyone who disagrees with him or enjoys games he doesn't like must be part of this grand conspiracy he's come up to destroy real gaming. He can't fit the idea that people can disagree with him and still be good, decent people. So, they can't really be concerned with racism or sexism or the rights of minorities. No, they're pseudo-activists, people who are only using social justice to destroy the real RPGs and force everyone to play storygames forever. There is no other explanation in his mind. Every action Fred Hicks undertakes must have a sinister explanation that fits into his swine narrative. Tarnowski is fundamentally incapable of arguing in good faith because he refuses to accept any reasonable interpretation of his enemies, their arguments, or their games.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Reminder that one of the raceclasses on that list is a race of shapeshifting spiders who pretend to be demihumans living in a magocracy so people will be scared to mess with them, but not excessively scared like they would be if they knew their neighbors had eight legs.

That is awesome and I intend to put that into my next D&D game. Or Savage Worlds. Or any other game I run. This needs to be a thing. This is much more awesome than "snooty high elves who hate dwarves."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also, that if a player has experienced sexual assault, and doesn't really want to experience that in elfgames, the solution is to kick them out of the group so they don't ruin your good times.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The best grog is asymptotic. It approaches the point, but never quite gets there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Zangief can straight up one-shot most things in oWoD with a piledriver.

The only thing I remember from the oWoD Street Fighter was that Guile, an experienced special ops soldier, had no experience using firearms.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It sucks that the assholes have driven Mikan off the boards. But Mikan's first priority has to be Mikan, not "winning." The best way we can keep them from winning is to continue to try and make the hobby as welcoming as we can for others in Mikan's position, support them visibly and publicly, and to keep pointing out how these people are being assholes. I think we're winning, too, ultimately. The reason the assholes have gotten so vile, so venomous recently, is because the demographics in the hobby are changing, and that privilege is starting to be threatened.

Speaking as a straight white dude, I think that's awesome. More viewpoints in the hobby means a more diverse, more interesting hobby.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phuzzy posted:

I get a lot of mileage out of FATE on that sort of stuff these days.

But that's because FATE is a perfect system and I'll hear no arguments. :colbert:

So, in theory, if we were plotting against you, all we'd have to do is couch it in terms of arguments against FATE, and you'd never know it?

*Writes this down*

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
At least in the mind of that guy, yes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mewnie posted:

Wow I looked at Voxs blog and wow, this guy is seriously really vile. The hatred in that blog is palpable.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a registered Freeper :v:

Dunno if he's a freeper, but he used to write for World Net Daily, which his tax-dodgin' daddy helped found.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

I feel this needs more thumb tacks and red string connecting everything.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
His attitude towards his trans and queer friends makes me think of Republicans and minorities. The Republican party loves them some black republicans. But only so long as they follow the strict party line. And they'll use dog whistle terms when confronting any blacks who aren't part of the party. Zak uses his trans and queer friends to shield himself from criticism, but he'll still react in a pretty toxic, trans-phobic way towards any transpeople who disagree with him, or encourage others to level slurs at them for him. He likes transpeople, but only so long as they know their place, and don't get too uppity.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chaltab posted:

Is that Pharoah daughter supposed to be sexy?

Because the artist kind of failed.

It's at least somewhat deliberate. There's definitely a Fletcher Hanks vibe going on there. It's not really stiff enough for Hanks's work, though, and he tended to have somewhat better proportions.

For reference:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Knowledge of tropes can be good, especially if you're a writer. They're just tools a writer uses to build a story. Knowing tropes can help you say, "Well, this isn't quite working, but if I do this, then it'll work a bit better. Hey, the action's a bit slow here. I should tighten up the pacing a bit. You know, the ending's pretty boring. I should punch it up." You can also use it to identify problems in your writing, or in the genre you're working with. "Hey, I've noticed that women keep ending up having to get rescued by men. And what's up with all the black people being criminals? I should avoid doing that." It can even be fun to analyze stories to see how tropes are being used. It's when you get obsessive with tropes that it becomes a problem. The rear end in a top hat ruining movies for his friends to show how clever he is. A writer who uses nothing but trope knowledge to try and write a story. So long as you know that they're supposed to only be tools, you're fine.

It's like with Superman. For the most part, it doesn't matter how he can fly. It can be fun to explore that, but it shouldn't be the point of your experience with the story. You don't have to overanalyze every single thing you see. That's where people go wrong. They can't see the forest for the trees. They can't see the story for the tropes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Despite it all, I honestly think things in this industry and in video games are getting better. It's just slow, and the fact that the geekboy regiment is losing control of the entire hobby is making them increasingly vicious and paranoid. Ten years ago, the idea of having trans characters wouldn't have even occurred to people. Twenty years ago, trying to have an equal mix of male and female pronouns, or eschewing gendered pronouns entirely, would have been seen as completely ridiculous. There was a lot less criticism of the hobby's use of minority characters. Our voices are getting louder, and they're getting increasingly shrill trying to shout us down. They're going to continue to attack, they're going to continue to drive good people out of the hobby, and yes, it's going to get worse before it gets better. But I think that it will get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah ok. That actually sounds like fun in the "campaign for North Africa" sort of way. But I can see why people wouldn't like it. I am not familiar with ADND1 and we used 4e for it. I suppose the assumption I was missing was that the players didn't want that type of game, but it's a neat exercise IMO. The economic results of foisting tons of equipment in a region has never really been explored. Of course, that's prob cuz of a genre non-expectation but it's an interesting question.

Explicit in his post is a party that wants pulp fantasy fun and his desire to punish them for it.

• Locked thread