Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Maxwell Lord posted:

Shit_that_didnt_happen_even_in_a_game.txt

I want to say this but I knew some guys who ran games for years (some of them even once posted on these hallowed forums) that had poo poo of this caliber happen basically every session. It didn't help that one of them studied German culture and literature extensively and so was obsessed with running D&D games that always devolved into explorations of nihilism and the nature of good and evil. There was a campaign where two of the players managed to successfully generate 3.5 characters who were Power Rangers and it took the DM ~3 sessions to notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Covok posted:

I feel there is a leap of logic in the above. Why would a game the focuses on the exploration of nihilism and the nature of good and evil lead to making power rangers as PCs and other poo poo of "halfling-hiding-in-whore's rear end" caliber?

Different DM in that case. The German guys games tended to involve stuff like fantasy post apocalypse scenarios in the vein of Boy and His Dog meets Black Company or campaigns where players all have different hidden goals but it turns out that everyone got the "secretly murder other players" goal.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Numlock posted:

I wonder where those girls and "Dudebros" come from (I'm using dudebro in all my conversations now because it makes me laugh) because I see exactly 0 women who aren't just as nerdy and weird as the men at my FLGS, and its not much different with the RPG groups. Exactly 0 "dudebros" unless I'm what they are talking about because I occasionally talk about sports and poo poo while doing my nerd stuff.

Wait was this talking stuff going on in a high-school or something?

They are talking in the context of non organized game groups, IE you have four guys who like some nerdy games/whatever and they decide to split the starter box for the Game of Thrones LCG, or you have a small group of friends who plays a miniatures game in a garage. I've seen the progression they are talking about in that comic happen many times but not for the reasons they state, it's usually because a small number of the players are socially stunted manchildren who can't handle an expanding social circle with changing tastes. Because what they are describing (from a twisted and wrong point of view) is a social circle of friends forming initially around an activity and then expanding to wanting to be a group of people that does things together that isn't just the initial activity. These are the kinds of people who can't realize that just because everyone they are friends with met playing Magic, and Magic was what initially made them friends it doesn't mean that Magic is the only thing they do when they are together.

There is a long rear end history of insane nerd tribalism and inability to comprehend people who have interests that exist beyond a very small sphere of "things I am obsessed with".

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Night10194 posted:

So could you use the Street Fighter RPG to play ridiculous kung fu heroes piledriving oWoD vampires and poo poo? Because if so, that justifies its existence on its own.

Sort of, Street Fighter has a somewhat different combat system. It'd be like running Scion vs Exalted, you'd have to do a lot of dirty hacking and the end result would be one of them just stomping the other hard.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

YF19pilot posted:

Everytime I read bullshit justifications for making women "weaker, because I'm stronger than MY GIRLFRIEND," I just think back to my brief stint as a wholesale animal feed delivery driver, and all the nice women, some just "little old ladies", who could tear down that truck faster than I could ever hope to. Yeah, sorry, lifestyle dictates your "stats" not whats between your legs.

There was also a 13 year old Amish girl who could handle a skid-steer better than I could, but I won't get into that.

As much as I hate how much the Glorantha guy spergs about poo poo, I do support his position on women in his setting. A long time ago on either usenet or RPGnet I read a post by him that was basically: "Look, Glorantha sucks if you're a lady, like, a lot. It's based on the Iron Age, I am very knowledgeable about history, those were a lovely time to be a lady. You can be a lady with exceptional stats and combat prowess, I just didn't write it in the base book because 99% of women in this setting are hella oppressed and kept down by the man, it's how it goes. But on the other hand I am not in your game group dictating what you do so feel free to change or break things if it means you get to tell the story you want to tell." And I respect that idea for something like Glorantha that is so steeped in real world historical analogue and myths, I never got it in D&D which in my mind has always been less based on real myth and much more flexible and egalitarian for the most part than things with a heavily enforced setting like Glorantha or Tekumel.

• Locked thread