Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Asimo posted:

This is absolutely loving hilarious.

"You know what ruined gaming? Girl cooties."

"Look at all those assholes just having fun and socializing! It's not about the +5 knife anymore, Bob! We MUST AWAY!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Do I have to be the one to remind the thread that Pundit literally believes he is a wizard who knows real magic?

You can't say this and not elaborate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Christ, discovering some of my friends are 'Well Gamergate has it some ideas and there's really no rape threats they're made up by radfem types' people was painful this week. Coincidentally, it's also people from the same group that refuses to move on from 3.5.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Libertad! posted:

3.5 as in 3.5 types who hate Pathfinder?

Because if they play Pathfinder, well hoo boy I've got news for them.

Yeah, I'm aware of Pathfinder being surprisingly good about that stuff. I still think it's a game I'll never run again, but it's nice to hear about someone trying to be nicer in this hobby sometimes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LatwPIAT posted:

I keep wondering whether WotC would be so lenient with the Pundit's delusions if the conspiracy theory he pushed was The Protocols of Elder Zion or Eurabia rather than the claim that identity politics were invented by liberals in the 1960's to control debate. Though I consider it extremely offensive in any case that he gets representation and fame from an industry giant despite his views, since the last person to talk about Cultural Marxism I know of wanted me lobotomized and sent off to a death camp, and the person before that blew up a government building and gunned down children at a summer camp.

Grog tax:

Notable: Every one of the Martial Options is an actual plot thread you'd have to follow and things you'd need to do instead of just snapping your fingers and winning with no check and no effort.

Casters aren't just overpowered, they're narratively boring as poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Paladins are Heroes, Archers are sidekicks, simple as that.

If you want to play an archer then please please please go Inquisitor, otherwise you will be another one of these people who play mechanically rather than thematically, and thereby give Paladins a bad name.

Aren't Pathfinder Paladin Archers almost objectively mechanically superior to melee fighters? Since they can full attack just as hard, with more attacks, and without wasting time on movement, and since Smite moved to a lock-on effect instead of a single power attack and you can still get Str to damage with a bow?

Like, I'm aware grog is as grog does, but I remember looking over the Martials in Pathfinder and generally coming to the conclusion that ranged characters were superior because of how the movement rules shake out and because of Clustered Shots, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim etc. If all you're going to have is a surfeit of Base Attack Bonus, the various to-hit penalties don't matter that much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OtspIII posted:

I think it's this mixed with a lot of passion about the subject matter that defines way too much nerd culture. It's not just that you're not interested in the implicit politics of Batman, it's also that you've spent a significant portion of your life discussing whether or not Batman would beat Superman in a fight.

When, of course, the answer is 'Which one of them is on the cover/currently crazy and evil/this author's favorite character or current political mouthpiece? That guy's going to win.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Slimnoid posted:

There's silly things like that, and then there's Zangief running around with 6 dots of strength.

The Street Fighter RPG was many things, and all of them were silly. poo poo's great, I highly recommend it. Wish I still had my copy I got for 50 cents, but I let someone borrow it and never saw it again.

So could you use the Street Fighter RPG to play ridiculous kung fu heroes piledriving oWoD vampires and poo poo? Because if so, that justifies its existence on its own.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real answer, of course, is 'Jesus Christ get a new group.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gygax let one of his group play a balrog, so long as he started at 1 HD.

They had him bluff his way into a wizard's tower by saying he was a reporter for the Balrog Times.

If I'm remembering right the Cleric was invented because Gygax had a guy who kept bringing his Vampire PC around and he wanted to screw with the guy by inventing a Van Helsing class.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Do you NOT settle mild disputes with suplexes?

I'm going to admit, a world with conflicts settled by Luchador Action would be a world I would want to play an RPG in.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paradoxGentleman posted:

On an unrelated note, I keep hearing that GRRM's books have done... something to society in general and fantasy in particular, but I never quite get what it is, even after reading them. What exactly are you referring to, especially in this context?

People have started to think Game of Thrones is 'realistic' and that that's basically how medieval history went minus the wizard poo poo and terrible undead plague. That it was just a huge cesspool of rape and constant murder and scheming and that just about everyone was an amoral jackass while the world turned solely on the actions of nobles and great people.

Considering we've seen articles about how D&D already informed peoples' beliefs about the middle ages, I'm not sure I'd call that a new thing, just another annoyance. I'd put it in the same context as people thinking torture worked because Jack Bauer did it in 24, except that it's not quite as likely to inform a Supreme Court Justice's opinion on a major legal issue for the worse.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 4, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bieeardo posted:

a Han Solo who shoots first

I admit, I've never known what the hell this was all about.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

occamsnailfile posted:

There's even groggy reaction to sci-fi and fantasy broadening just the tiniest bit, like the whole sad puppy Hugo slate. It'd be funny if it weren't so toxic.

The what slate? What is this?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

osirisisdead posted:

You shouldn't even know the DC of the task you are attempting.

"You lose your turn from hesitation."

I've heard that excuse from more than one meta-gaming rear end in a top hat. Hell, I was that meta-gaming rear end in a top hat ten years ago. If you get mad because your character fails a check in elfgames, you need to check your loving priorities.

"Look, guys, don't engage with the mechanics of the game! That's METAGAMING and it's bad!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yes, the Grogturing has been passed. Well done.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dwarf74 posted:

then I honestly can't picture what you want as anything but a refluffed caster. Maybe your utility spells are called utility abilities or skill powers or something, but every variation I can think of looks like spells mechanically.

I think I see the problem right there. Christ, you guys really aren't kidding about 3.PF Brain Damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I never played for ante in magic because I was enough of a tryhard at the game without actual money/cards being on the line, and because I liked my friends and wanted to hang out and play cards with them in high school. Some people take elfgames and poo poo way too serious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chill la Chill posted:

I am using the warlord videos now to coax some local grogs out of their hole. The good thing is that it doubles as a litmus test for those who are irredeemable and/or racist. These threads have always been good for deconstructing arguments and bringing those on the fence out of it.

What videos are these?

Also, unnecessary thesaurus mining has been in this goddamn hobby (and fantasy writing in general) forever. Just look at Gary 'Insofar as waning is considered to be, perchance, the opposite of weal' Gygax.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chill la Chill posted:

And the post after it. They own and the warlord will be missed.

Oh, yeah, those are cool as hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kemper Boyd posted:

One thing where you see the weird skewing thing that D&D does to people is reaction to games where one character gets a thing other characters don't (say, one character gets to be a noble, the others are their retinue, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer). D&D has taught people that this means automatically that the rest of the characters are getting hosed over and not getting what belongs to them, when it can be a pretty good storytelling mechanic.

Except the whole 'I have wizard powers, you have to live in gritty realism' divide. They love that one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Plus, imagine you learned Pathfinder in and out; it leaves the impression all systems are that insanely complex, and so the suggestion of learning another one seems especially tedious, even though that's not necessarily the case.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As usual, the problem with grog is not necessarily the idea (a low fantasy game about being mustard merchants could be fun if that's your thing) but with the assumption that that is the only realistic and acceptable way to play.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, say you're going into the woods to hunt a dark wizard. You gently caress up your tracking roll, and get lost in the woods, at which point the dark wizard's minions try to ambush and kill you, leading to a tough fight. After you win, one of the surviving minions reveals the location of the wizard's evil cave in return for not being stabbed in the neck. You've had an extra, difficult fight as consequence (which might've been fun to do anyway) and now you're on track to get that wizard rear end in a top hat. Or similarly, you flub the tracking roll and it means you find him, but by the time you get there he's already completed his LATEST AMAZING SUPERWEAPON and now when you try to take him down you also have to deal with him being a bit better prepared. It's a pretty simple principle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Don't look up Richard Dawkins at all. The guy is basically the atheist equivalent of Zak and makes him look charming in comparison which is amazing.

Isn't Dawkins' actual academic work at least partly in EvoPsych? Which is where we get :biotruths:?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, there's poo poo That Didn't Happen right there. Christ, that reads like a terrible fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pope Guilty posted:

It actually did happen, and then there was a massive internet blowup about how loving creepy and horrible it was.

I mean I doubt it went the way he wrote it, basically. I'm sure he had his creepy breast touching game or whatever, but I doubt he was surrounded by nubile ladies shyly asking if he would grope their tits.

• Locked thread