Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I hate this drat feat [Crossbow Expert]. Honestly, I have no problem with the way it works mechanically, but it breaks immersion for me. The fastest anyone has ever shot a military-grade crossbow is once every 30 seconds. This feat allows you to conceivably fire eight times in six seconds. You essentially gain the ability to move like Quicksilver in DoFP, but only when reloading crossbows.

I have forbidden this usage of it at my table without crafting a mechanical automatic crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have no idea what it is about that feat that makes so many grogs lose their loving minds.

quote:

Why is it that you like so many other people miss-construes the timing of when you load (during the attack) as the method, when it is just the timing. And the feat only means you can load more then once, again having nothing to do with the method which is not mentioned.

The ammo rule states that you draw the ammo from it's container. Again that is simple and straightforward. If both your hands are fully occupied then without slight of hand you aren't going to be grabbing anything such as ammo from any container. If I even have to explain why then i must ask: Do you believe that in D&D 1+1 = 5 because it's not specified anywhere that 1+1 = 2?

**link is made to a question, "how do you load a crossbow if both your hands are full?" Answer is...

What do you do here? Well, double-down, of course.

quote:

Oh so juggling doesn't take a skill check? Oh wait...

You "think" it works that way because you want it to so your intentionally bending you're interpretation to allow for it. That however is not vagueness in wording that is your specific intent.

quote:

The designers response was "you juggle your gear". So if I accept that is valid then I must accept that juggling does not require any skill checks.

I guess that also means I don't need warcaster, since I can just juggle my shield and sword to free up my hands.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
io9 can always be counted on for grog!

http://io9.com/the-new-dungeon-masters-guide-is-like-a-hackers-manual-1670551012

quote:

Kudos on taking your first step into tabletop roleplaying, and what a huge step it was starting as a DM. Is your whole group new to roleplaying? It'll get better as everyone gets more experience (no pun intended). Metagaming is something everyone does, and something every group has to deal with. It can either be a problem (as in, people using outside game knowledge to directly influence in-game play), or it can be fun (people making in-game jokes using outside of game information). There are many ways to deal with it, but my personal preference is to call it out when I see it. You're the DM, the end-all-be-all. Your say is final. Don't let the players bully you into a course of action. Say things like "How does your character know there's a dragon in this cave?" I know it's tough, and you aren't likely to get them to change their decisions to something else simply because you're calling out their metagaming, but I've noticed that the simple act of letting them know you're watching them (and you may change the outcome because of it) is enough to gradually get them to change their play style to more roleplay and less metagame.
Using out of character knowledge to have fun in a game ... truly the most important thing you can do as a DM is stamp that out.

quote:

I think your just a little bit too jaded with this edition. Yes 3.5 was good, but utterly broken when it came to casters vs. melee, especially with how overpowered psions were. 4E streamlined combat, but took out most of the roleplaying and forced most of the community to pathfinder because of how gimmicky and MMO like it was (not to mention how much they tried to cash in with all the different spell cards and other bullshit). But it looks like 5E is going to be around for awhile, and with how balanced and how well written the rules are it looks like this edition is going to last a lot longer because it isnt so rigid and set in its ways, and they arent trying to cash in on every little thing. you should give it a chance, this is probably the best edition since 2E.

quote:

In all honesty: Why would anyone buy these new books when the last expansion was arguably the poorest of editions? The track record for the people involved seems lacking.

Also, why bother when Paizo seems to have done a better job at doing D&D than WotC? WotC isn't renowned for their brilliant game design... more like their brilliant game acquisitions. They don't seem to care to much about the product as long as there is product being produced is my point. Their business model seems to revolve around purchasing properties with a large consumer base and producing large amounts of semi-tolerable product with that property's logo on it.

That really isn't a good model for quality product... just... product. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is basically just kitsch. So... why drop hundreds of dollars on a product that is very likely a bunch of kitsch when a company like Paizo seems to be producing quality?

quote:

Not Grog posted:

Well it honestly depends on how you look at things. They made a concerted effort to make the game 'people' wanted this time. I put people in quotes because I was mostly fine with 4th ed, yes it wasn't super great, but it wasn't as terrible as people made it out to be. It was fun, enjoyable, quick to pick up and had some interesting mechanics at times.

Why do people cheer for their sports team after a losing season? Because people have faith, loyalty and all that. People for some reason loved 3rd edition and 3.5 (and honestly I still don't understand how anyone could because its utter trash in my opinion). So they made a mistake with 4th. Does that mean we should never purchase the new editions even if they might be what we want? Well thats up to you.

Heres the way I look at it. Get the PHB. If you like the rules great. If you don't...don't buy more. Its not that hard. Thats my plan at least. I always have the vastly superior to everything (especially pathfinder) Hackmaster to fall back on if I don't like it. Or any of the previous editions or any of the other games and systems currently in my library of games.
Then some dude gets super mad about that "utter trash" comment. Most of these are him.

3.5 is generally considered the only edition for D&D. Calling it "utter trash" is probably not the route you wanna go if you want people to take you seriously.
I agree with saying that 5E is what 4E should have been. I'm just not going to drop any cash on this until it's shown it's full product line. The whole 4E debacle has basically put my wallet back in my pocket and made me a bit more leery of WotC.

I don't think anyone should put any money into this until it's all on the table. I'd rather play more 3.5 than go through the last 4 years again.
I'm fairly certain that what I said was specific, but I'll summarize and reword it for you: First I said that I don't trust the people that put out 4E. I also said that there are far better options that are actually trustworthy. Then I suggested that calling something so solidly entertaining as 3.5 "utter trash" was a little embellished and would only serve to marginalize your point of view.
Paizo split off from WotC, what are you saying? 5E is a simpler game, that requires a huge amount of DM fiat in order to do most activities in. Pathfinder has rules for all these, and is much more mechanically flushed out. There are more differences in the systems, obviously, but that one is key.

(I personally prefer Pathfinder FAR AND ABOVE 5E, having played both, and PF only about a year longer)
There is a lot of irony to be found in the idea that WotC published 3.5. The truly comical part is that the vast majority of 3.5 changes were not written or developed by WotC... just published and profited upon by them.

Look, my friends and I have lives, responsibilities and children. I am not going to burn money on a may be. My group of friends has decided not to because 3.5 is still with us and far superior to a "may be" or a "perhaps".

So far the consensus is NO and it's not a NO with just my group of friends. Local stores haven't been selling them very well. Perhaps it's because we all spent our 4E money and then basically sold it all on Ebay 2 years later. Just sayin'.
I remember someone telling me that 4E rocked. I remember buying all that rocking kitsch and feeling the joy of learning something "new". I remember all the people in my group squeezing out every little bit of honest time trying to learn it's "interesting" and "amazing" new mechanics. I also remember the hours of time where we tried to reincorporate 3.5 combat tactics into 4E. How we tried to patch up the gaping holes in 4E's combat system with more and more rules from 3.5.

Then I remember us just "revisiting" the old game again. After we gave our most to 4E we basically found 3.5 to be like being let out of school. We could go play again and we never went back.

People may be all about getting into 5E. I'm happy for them. That's great. My group... my friends... we look at 5E and all we see is 4E. We are waiting. I would advise anyone that is on the fence to STAY ON THE FENCE. Let all the people with gobs of money falling off of their Christmas trees to do the investing on this "rocking" piece of work. When the cloud settles in a couple years... then see what people are saying.

quote:

Strangely, I was unimpressed. I was looking for a book filled with meat; instead, what I got was little more than a glossary, where everything was casually touched upon. Like the previous two books in the 5e range, there was very little style OR substance. Very disappointed, which is the first time for me. Well, since 4th Edition! :D

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

"fantasy is required to be on mighty thews otherwise it's pandering to SJWs" comment
My brain keeps trying to make this rhyme.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hodgepodge posted:

Huh, and I thought I was the only one who basically thought of AD&D as a collection of random optional rules for Basic.
No, that is pretty much how we all did it in the 80's.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

Antisemitism never stopped, it just became unfashionable in the US. Open bigotry is growing in popularity, and with it returns open antisemitism. You can decide whether this inspired stuff like South Park, or if South Park is inspiring the rise in antisemitism, or if they're just entwined together.
True story - about half my friends in school were Jewish, and I had no idea antisemitism was still a real thing until, like, high school.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

I've decided the most reliable tic that signals that you're about to read some bullshit from an old school grognard is when they make a point to mention (brag, really) when and with what version they started playing D&D. You just know that as soon as someone tells you about how they cut their teeth on Moldvay B/X or Holmes Basic back in 1981 or whenever that you're about to get hit with a tsunami of whiny grog nonsense.
I love talking about how I started with Moldvay Basic back around 1982 and then about how 4e is my favorite edition. :smuggo:

(True story, though, I'm running some Moldvay Basic this weekend. Should be a great time.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Majuju posted:

It's just a different way to say 2d6. The problem is, 2-12 doesn't provide an easy way of communicating how you arrive at that number. Do I roll 2d6? Do I roll 100d6 and only keep the best two? It's the THACO of dice notation.
This is totally a Gygax thing. It got so baffling, you had this masterpiece appearing in the Monster Manual II, which is still my favorite goddamn monster book of all time.

However, nothing surpassed this little bit of number range and dice genius which went into the AD&D PHB, unexplained. I didn't figure it out until many years later...

Because obviously, what you do to get a number from 1-24 is that, first, you roll 1d6 and read it such that a 1-3 = 0 and a 4-6 = 12. You then roll 1d12 and add it to the result of your 0/12 roll. Obviously.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

How is this a thing. Don't you learn that poo poo in first grade or something?

For all that he said it in the shittiest way possible, and drew the wrong conclusions from it*, it's actually pretty lovely to mock people who aren't as good at math or didn't have the same kinds of opportunities to learn it while growing up. It's just as bad to go from there to, "... and you have no place playing dumb elf games." Seriously, folks should stop getting lovely about this.

* As for the wrong conclusions... Dice ranges are worse for people who are bad at math because they aren't functional. It's more useful to know what dice you need to roll, than what value the range tops out at, IMO.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

osirisisdead posted:

Is is grog to expect people to remember esoteric poo poo from a game that they just said that they hadn't looked into in a decade?
Uh, when you're using it to justify your weird arguments, yeah, you should make sure you have your poo poo in order.

I grew up on AD&D, and I'm glad others hopped in with a "LOOK HOW WRONG YOU ARE" before I did. But you're being petulant, now, about being wrong.

Fun fact, though - outside the XP tables, AD&D was still a much better-balanced game than 3e. Hell, even if you ignored nitpicky bullshit like spell components, it's better-balanced.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was 3.0 even hugely different from 3.5? I know it was a thing that people griped about that they needed to buy new books.
It was a big enough change to make many 3.0 books a huge pain in the rear end to use. It's at least as big as 1e->2e.

Grog!

quote:

Re: So, when people say "Martials", they really mean fighter, right?

umm this is still a ROLE-Playing game right? not a ROLL-playing game?

Every character is effective as they want to make their character outside of combat. The Fight specifically has more access to character defining roles by having more ASI's, if you want to MIN/MAX your guy for combat thats your choice not to take character developing feats.

BUT it is your choice. You can be as combat effective as every other class using the same number of ASI's (if not fewer) and still have extra to use for your fluff!

Have you looked at the background Features?

Sure everyone has access to those things, but who has access to ASI's = character points & bonuses, feats, and thereby skills to make all that stuff more than an aside? The Fighter?

If you are not making your guy as useful out of combat as in combat as all the other people in your party, that is by choice. Just as the 2 druid's in my group both did not have a single heal spell memorized besides the one that had goodberry. Casters have to forego combat effectiveness (in most cases) to be effective in out of combat. As a wizard I am almost NEVER going to have comprehend languages memorized, nor will I have identify, or many other useful out of combat tools.

Why? They are rituals, which anyone could get with a feat. I'll just use my spellbook and take 10 min to cast em when I need to. So now for the fighter to do that he needs to burn an ASI... well its an ASI the wizard doesnt have!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Or because... that's how the two would work if we actually try to simulate it?

Magic is described as "I cast a spell and get an effect. I learn the spell, it generates the same effect every time I cast it." It is like running a program, same input, same output. Premade and locked in.

However, when using learned skills, no such rules explicitly exist to govern what you can do with the knowledge. Real world skills are to fluid to be modeled in the same "perform x, get y" way, forcing them to maintain a degree of abstraction and openness not present in magic if they are toi actually capture the spirit of such abilities. Otherwise, you have 4e, where immersion is basically ignored. Which works for some people, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't the idea the came into 5e with.

So I think they ahd the idea that, if you want to play a martial character, you want to play someone who functions in the manner one would expect from a martial character, using skills and quick thinking to create new solutions to problems, alongside their natural abilities. Which means fairly loose and open, a playstyle very different from "wait, let me find the right spell". They added a bit of codified stuff in for people who had to have it (monk and battle master), but it wasn't the majority.

Now, if that isn't how you see martial characters? Nothing stops you from changing calling your eldritch knight a warblade, and picking abilities to suit. You don't cast shield, but rather use your special parry technique. You don't know the spell true strike, instead you focus yourself on your next attack. Thunderwave is a shockwave generated by your weapon striking the ground, knocking enemies backwards. Shatter can be a mighty shout which shakes the area round you. Counter spell and dispel magic represent you being able to parry spells, and cut through magic (I have no idea if warblades could actually do this, but it sounds cool). I admit, this is harder than it could be as evocation is the flashiest school in the entire game. DM permission to change it from alteration helps. Or ask to poach paladin spells/multiclass paladin.

As the above implied, you can do something similar with paladin and ranger. Ranger is pretty close by default if you don't read the fluff of his spells too closely, and paladin as an inspiring commander whose charisma allows him to boost his allies effectiveness, heal wounds (if you dislike 4e wound shouting, lay on hands is advanced medical skills), and hit things extra ahrd/in special ways isn't a stretch. Mainly because he is exactly that as is, they just call it magic.

If your issue is you can't have the exact fluff connected to the exact abilities you want without having to make some minor (primarily cosmetic) alternations, I'm sorry, but do you realize what an improvement that is over the sort of issues previous editions had?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Monk exists. Rogue exists. If monk isn't enough utility and Rogue isn't crunchy enough... then I honestly can't picture what you want as anything but a refluffed caster. Maybe your utility spells are called utility abilities or skill powers or something, but every variation I can think of looks like spells mechanically. Sorry if that's rude, but I get tired of this argument, and everytime it gets brought up people fail miserably to actually provide examples of what they mean.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Except that rogue is more versatile than either of those classes by default. Easily.

Are martials always less versatile? No, rogue is (by the weird definition of the term people tend to use) a martial, and can eclipse many casting classes easily (sorcerer, ranger, paladin are the most obvious, something like warlock depends more on the variety). The most versatile class, bard, is the most versatile because he combines both martial and magical abilities.

Is fighter less versatile than casters? Well, fighter can gain access to the spell system, and can easily match the half casters. So fighter isn't inherently limited from that, admittedly because he can be a caster.

Is a fighter who wants to remain a martial character less versatile? Well, he can still access a number of feats to expand his options or multiclass into rogue, while staying a martial and primarily a fighter. So again, not truely.

Is a fighter who doesn't want to use spells at a table where feats aren't used and who cannot/will not multiclass less versatile? Yes, that class is not going to be the most versatile. He still isn't a bad class, just fairly focused.

Do you see the difference in scope of the issue, by the time we reach the final point?

Fighters are not limited because they can be casters.

In case you missed that, Fighters are not limited because they can be casters. If you want your Fighter to be versatile, make them not a Fighter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bob Quixote posted:

Don't a lot of people on here still complain about 4th ed. being tedious and mechanically annoying at high levels also?
Post-MM3, it starts collapsing at high Paragon, which is quite a bit later than other editions, but it does indeed get annoying at high levels.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
5e rules are fine, guys! Just use this flowchart.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Surely its the spell casters that are limited.

There are a finite number of spells. Of these, a spell caster knows a fraction. Of those they know, they are limited in how many they can use before resting.

Each of these spells has discrete effects explained in the spell description.

OTOH there is an infinite number of possible uses for ability checks and skills. You are not limited to how many times per day you can attempt to use them. As opposed to being bounded in by the text of the possible uses of skills, your only limit is DM approval and your own imagination (and your luck with the dice!).

Surely the more limited system is the magic system?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Fighters can use Athletics all day, man!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Animal handling to get a flying mount.
Arcana or history to know where the nearest portal to another plane is.
-I got nothing for teleporting other than fast overland travel to a destination-
Pretty sure you could make a wall of ice if you have access to it with athletics or survival. And you can build one anywhere with athletics given a minute or two (I knock down a couple trees and toss them together to build a wall)
You've never heard of the Arseplomancer have you? Acrobatics can do odd stuff at high levels.
And as for extra attacks, you can get those using stealth and a surprise round. Then you also get advantage.

Of what you listed, only the only one I can't replicate with skills is teleporting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno man, that is exactly how I feel - every single game. I tell the DM what I am doing, and roll the dice for my attack while shrugging off blows that would fell my compatriots. I think what you really want is 4E, with its numerous feat cards outlining your every move. The 5E Fighter is superior, IMO, as he is unhindered by rules that tell him what he can or can not do. The only limitation to the 5E Fighter is the player. What your describing is merely a caster that uses his weapons as his spells. I hope to never see the Fighter ape the casters again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Come on. Reddit is still cheating.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
dnd-brain-damage.txt

You are locking on to the specific using that to define how "samey" is not correct. I am pointing out that the generalities of activation and job system are the hallmark of the "samey" feel.

A red button is a red button. Pushing it may launch a missile or open a garage. They are still similar red buttons.

To be honest, I don't care how x interacts with y. If I can use a power 3 times a day, and so can every other character at the table, that is the "same" to me. I can readily agree that those abilities are different. That doesn't mean anything when we are using them all on a similar schedule.

A "defender" fighter punishes targets for not attacking him. So does the defender paladin. Do you deny this is the case? HOW they do it, is not remotely relevant to my question, don't bother explaining. A "tank" is a "tank". The abilities activated to accomplish their goal are meaningless.

Damage of equal amounts is damage. The type doesn't matter. a -2 penalty is a -2 penalty no matter how it is inflicted. Not being able to move because you're paralzed is fundamentally no different that not being able to move because your in a block of ice.

We aren't discussing narrative. We are discussing general feel as is evidenced by the continuous use from several posters of the adjective "same/samey"

I would say that you are seeing the trees, and not the forest in this analogy. I am focused on the feel of general play and mechanic usage (the forest). You are focused on what individual abilities do when triggered (the trees).

I am in no way saying Class A is exactly like Class B. I am saying they "Feel" the same to me because usage of their abilities is the same in both cases. I am saying that playing a Tank feels the same no matter which tank I play. You are countering that their specific mechanics differentiate them. I agree with that. That doesn't mean they don't feel the same to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
From Tor's Appendix N Re-read, just linked in chat...

quote:

I really, really want to discuss this in more detail, but I'll just say that if you're going to throw Howard's stories under the "racist/sexist" bus, then you'll have to throw virtually every fantasy writer from the first half of the 20th century on the road too. I'd also say describing the story as trashy, or pulp in general as trash, even in a positive way, is sorely underselling its very extensive philosophical, historical, and mythic depth.

However, I'd like to concentrate on the authors' interpretation of Valeria - specifically that I disagree with several of the statements, mostly of the "Valeria COULD have been badass, but Howard undermines her/etc" variety.

See, here's how Howard describes Valeria at various points in the story:

"stronger than the average man, and far quicker and more ferocious," who "brought into action a finesse of swordplay that dazzled and bewildered her antagonists before it slew them," "the equal of any man in the rigging of a ship or on the sheer face of a cliff," "whose deeds are celebrated in song and ballad wherever seafarers gather," who commanded ships of her own, who no living man could disarm with his bare hands, who "had proved her reckless courage a thousand times in wild battles on sea and land, on the blood-slippery decks of burning war ships, in the storming of walled cities, and on the trampled sandy beaches where the desperate men of the Red Brotherhood bathed their knives in one another's blood in their fights for leadership."

Conan - you know, CONAN THE BARBARIAN - knew that "if he came any nearer her sword would be sheathed in his heart" and that "he had seen Valeria kill too many men in border forays and tavern brawls to have any illusions about her." After the nightmare with the dragon, "her buoyant self-confidence began to thaw out again," and "there was a swagger in her stride as she moved off beside the Cimmerian. Whatever perils lay ahead of them, their foes would be men. And Valeria of the Red Brotherhood had never seen the face of the man she feared."

It's clear that her weakness with Conan was a very special case: "For another man to have kept her watch while she slept would have angered her; she had always fiercely resented any man's attempting to shield or protect her because of her sex. But she found a secret pleasure in the fact that this man had done so. And he had not taken advantage of her fright and the weakness resulting from it. After all, she reflected, her companion was no common man."

Yet even so, Valeria was very brave. She slew the Burning Skull, a hideous apparition that would give anyone pause. Hell, she didn't even notice being stabbed in the leg until Conan mentioned it. The only people who dominate Valeria are the massive, bull-like Olmec - who gave Conan himself a run for his money - and Tascela, who quite clearly had some sort of sorcerous strength going on, being able to drag the paralyzed Olmec as if he was a sack of feaths. Let's not forget that Valeria is the one who slays the villain of the piece. As for her skill in battle...
The other three swarmed on Valeria, their weird eyes red as the eyes of mad dogs. She killed the first who came within reach before he could strike a blow, her long straight blade splitting his skull even as his own sword lifted for a stroke. She side-stepped a thrust, even as she parried a slash. Her eyes danced and her lips smiled without mercy. Again she was Valeria of the Red Brotherhood, and the hum of her steel was like a bridal song in her ears. ... Valeria fought beside him, her lips smiling and her eyes blazing. She was stronger than the average man, and far quicker and more ferocious. Her sword was like a living thing in her hand. Where Conan beat down opposition by the sheer weight and power of his blows, breaking spears, splitting skulls and cleaving bosoms to the breastbone, Valeria brought into action a finesse of swordplay that dazzled and bewildered her antagonists before it slew them. Again and again a warrior, heaving high his heavy blade, found her point in his jugular before he could strike. Conan, towering above the field, strode through the welter smiting right and left, but Valeria moved like an illusive phantom, constantly shifting, and thrusting and slashing as she shifted. Swords missed her again and again as the wielders flailed the empty air and died with her point in their hearts or throats, and her mocking laughter in their ears.
Yet all you guys seem able to talk about is the bondage scene and Valeria's nude sacrifice (come on, nude sacrifices have a rich anthropological basis beyond mere titillation). In fact, you guys seem to see a lot more sleaze and sex in the story than I did. It's a perfectly valid viewpoint, I guess, but I don't think it's universal.

If Valeria was a match for Conan, rather than being tossed under the bus by Howard—was he afraid that a legitimate rival to Conan would beemasculating? How embarrassing!

Read "Shadows of the Vulture," then tell me Howard would be afraid of a warrior woman who actively shows up the badass male protagonist. The reason Valeria isn't a match for Conan is because NO ONE IS A MATCH FOR CONAN. 7-foot-tall Baal-pteor who was raised to be a killing machine since childhood wasn't a match for Conan. Prince Kutamun, born of a warrior race used to hunting lions and strong enough to chokeslam a horse wasn't a match for Conan. And yet Valeria is STILL the closest anyone, man or woman, comes to Conan's equal.

My verdict: it is totally worth reading but you have to keep your
critical goggles on and that shouldn’t be too hard, because the
treatment of women in the story is pretty baldly rubbish.

Yes, a female protagonist manages to save the life of CONAN THE FREAKIN' BARBARIAN, is frequently described in terms noted above, and has a female villain who has the intelligence and guile to manipulate and rule two tribes, are "pretty baldly rubbish."

Valeria is a more than competent sword fighter who holds her own in all of the fights in the book, and she even saves Conan from falling to his death when they are fighting the “dragon.” And sure, she panics when the monster appears, but that is explicitly the theme of civilized versus savage, not genderpolitik. For all that, Howard peppers a liberal amount of “female malice” nonsense, and makes sure to stress that even though she’s tough, she’s still feminine. That macho posturing really undercutsthe story, and Conan’s casual use of terms like “wench” and “hussie” is the character at his most unlikeable.

"Wench" and "hussie"? Really? THAT'S what makes Conan at his most unlikeable? The use of historical slurs which are more quaint than anything else? Or has there been some sort of resurgence of those words as potent swear words?

I honestly cannot understand how you can view a female character who holds her own in all her fights, is described as more or less one of the most notorious, dangerous and skilled warriors of the entire age - probably second only to Conan himself - saves the life of CONAN THE BARBARIAN, and is frequently described in terms Howard uses to describe his other heroic characters... but all that means nothing, because Conan calls her names and Howard dares to remind you that she's a woman.

... and makes sure to stress that even though she’s tough, she’s still feminine.

Why is this a problem? Does femininity somehow detract from toughness in some way? Is femininity a bad thing in a warrior woman? Really, the only way I can see listing Valeria's femininity as a negative is if you view femininity in itself as a flaw.

Howard and his views on race are best detailed in Barbara Barrett's "REH and the Issue of Racism" and Mark Finn's "Southwestern Discomfit," but it's clear that Howard was indeed of his time. But in regards to sexual politics? He was practically a protofeminist:

http://theblogthattimeforgot.blogspot.com/2010/06/howard-what-he-really-thought-of-women.html

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm a guy, considering role playing a female vengeance paladin with a whip, lance, rapier, and shield. I'm set on my build.

Any pros and cons to this? Prior experiences? Advice? I plan to make it easier by being a woman of few words.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sage Genesis posted:

But but but... I have it on reliable authority that WotC just pumped out classes because they wanted to meaninglessly fill their role/source grid! That's why the Warlord exists, right, to fill out a 4e classes bingo card? Right? Guys?
This would be funnier if not for PHB3. :sigh:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I know it's fine with RAW, but dual hand-crossbows makes me want to puke. I know D&D's logic with combat is shaky, at best, but this totally takes the sanity cake and tosses it out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Selfish Gene does get into Evo Psych, though, iirc.

• Locked thread