Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
The comforting routine of constantly applying hand lotion and chapstick to stave off dry, cracking skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i will take 20 degrees and snowing over 40 degrees and raining

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

273423-X posted:

looks like England is farting lol

that's just the enormous lake of irredeemable poo poo that is East Anglia leaking into the North Sea

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

This is hell?

people who live in that dont deserve an opinion

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

The comforting routine of constantly applying hand lotion and chapstick to stave off dry, cracking skin.

Thanks for reminding me.

:ohdear:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i love the winter so much because bright sunlight and heat gives me a headache. i love the snappiness of winter air, i love girls in sweaters, i love the smell of central heating, i love how music sounds better in the winter, i love that i get to wear my cool jackets again, (i hate shorts and t-shirts etc), i love to be cosy and warm and snug. Winter owns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

psyopmonkey posted:

Less crazy homeless people

That's a good thing? :raise:

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

etalian posted:

This is hell?

you absolutely arent human

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Haverchuck posted:

you absolutely arent human

northern california is basically a climate controlled terrarium

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

northern california is basically a climate controlled terrarium

It's almost TOO nice I get weirded out

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
A cool thing is when it's cold as gently caress outside so you wear a big rear end coat but then you go to buy groceries (or even worse, anything from a mall) and they keep the store at like 28C so you feel stuffy as gently caress and are sweating and then you go outside and you get to feel your sweat freeze against your skin.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

3. its cold

naem
May 29, 2011

Business Octopus posted:

A cool thing is when it's cold as gently caress outside so you wear a big rear end coat but then you go to buy groceries (or even worse, anything from a mall) and they keep the store at like 28C so you feel stuffy as gently caress and are sweating and then you go outside and you get to feel your sweat freeze against your skin.

In school in NYC I noticed most student apts had old radiators for heat making it like 80 inside and 20 out.

So people all wore jeans and tshirts and then huge puffy coats, no layers.

In NorCal it's the opposite, everyone has three layers they take on and off constantly because it's always the wrong temperature, lots of sweaty sweater armpits

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Winter is nice in CA because instead of an average of 75-80 it gets down to like 40-50 (at night) and it feels all cold and nippy but you don't really ever have to deal with bullshit weather conditions.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Winter is nice in CA because instead of an average of 75-80 it gets down to like 40-50 (at night) and it feels all cold and nippy but you don't really ever have to deal with bullshit weather conditions.

:agreed:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

i love winter. i love snow. ho ho ho

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Don't you guys not have enough water and have to live like cacti?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Where I live we can go from -40C to +10C in a matter of hours, all the snow melts and floods the streets, then the next day the temperature drops down to -40 again, all the water freezes and there's like 200+ car accidents. It makes life exciting.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Suck it, it's summer soon

lydia chlamydia
Sep 2, 2003
sterile sheer strips chewable morphine
mastery over those with seasonal affective disorder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Picnic Princess posted:

Where I live we can go from -40C to +10C in a matter of hours, all the snow melts and floods the streets, then the next day the temperature drops down to -40 again, all the water freezes and there's like 200+ car accidents. It makes life exciting.

This was the worst part about living in the north part of Dixie for me. 34 degreees during the day, 26 at night, with 80-100% humidity the whole time. everything just turns into a loving skating rink

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
why do you use shovels when you can push massive amounts of snow around with the proper tools

#NordicWinterTips

e: i guess your shovels don't even got handles !!

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lydia chlamydia posted:

mastery over those with seasonal affective disorder

it's brighter outside when there's snow and thus not that depressing anymore

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
Ten years ago: Coming in from the cold to sit at a dimly lit college bar and have a pint with friends. The girls come inside in their turtle neck sweaters, their cheeks and noses a little pink from the chill.

Now: My frozen food doesn't start to melt on the way home from the grocery store.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

ThirdPartyView posted:

That's a good thing? :raise:

They just sleep on all the trains in the winter and ride like kings in cars all to themselves save the intrepid and noseless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Don't you guys not have enough water and have to live like cacti?

Yes due to global warming the standard weather pattern changed meaning most areas have 50% less rainfall over a three year period.

Also no snowpack in the sierra Nevada mountians means none of the snow melt that keeps the state going during the summer.

On the SF penisula you get only a week of weather in which the night temperature drops below freezing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

etalian posted:

Yes due to global warming the standard weather pattern changed meaning most areas have 50% less rainfall over a three year period.

Also no snowpack in the sierra Nevada mountians means none of the snow melt that keeps the state going during the summer.

On the SF penisula you get only a week of weather in which the night temperature drops below freezing.

It's cute as hell when people blame the CA drought on global warming.

This kind of pattern has been happening on the regular for centuries. The records show that there have been 100-year droughts in the historic record for CA. We are very, very vulnerable to high pressure setups that block CA, this is truly nothing new and is a part of our regular climatology.

But no let's just blame it on global warming, because why not, everything is fuckin' global warming.

I'm also looking forward to people shutting the gently caress up about the CA drought when we get a strong El Nino next year and the drought gets busted in 2 seconds like countless other times in the CA record.

We have to deal with droughts here, feast and famine of weather, deal with it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 16, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
being from alabama, i love winter because i hate our sweaty, hellish summer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

being from alabama, i love winter because i hate our sweaty, hellish summer

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Taima posted:

The records show that there have been 100-year droughts in the historic record for CA.
you literally dont even know what prehistory is
youre just there trying to string together smart-sounding words into half-remembered phrases like historic record

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

too hot for me. i'd be happy if it never got above 65 again

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
The only thing good about winter is living in Maryland when it snows. It doesn't snow quite enough to have a really good snow cleanup budget so anytime its more than a couple inches everything shuts down and you don't have to do anything its pretty chill. The best is when its the summer and hot as poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

What a tropical paradise.

Also take into account that between the hours of 7AM and 7PM there is a 20 mph wind blowing that, depending on the time of year either feels like someone holding a hair dryer or blowing maximum cold air conditioning in your face.

• Locked thread