Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ddraig posted:

Truly Mexico and the Americas have contributed to the world's food supply immensely. Chocolate, chili, corn, tomatoes, avocados... these are some of the greatest foods in existence.

Europe was eating Turnips before they got the good poo poo from there lmao

dont forget potatoes

seriously imagine stting down to your big bowl of mushed peas with turnips and cabbage on the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

babypolis posted:

chilaquiles are another god tier mexican food:

which brings me to the question: why the gently caress cant americans do refried beans right? its like the simplest thing in the world and you would imagine american would relish the chance to fry yet another thing

because its cheaper and easier to use lovely canned beans plus jews and assorted health weirdos demanding no lard which is pretty much what the poitn of refried beans is

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Desperado Bones posted:

Doctor said I probably just got parasites from eating delicious Mexican food in Mexico. :yum:

sounds like a good way to lose weight

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Spuckuk posted:

Americans only eat mexican food because it's loving impossible to find a decent curry there.

Wrong

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The North Tower posted:

What do I need to ask for in San Diego? I was raised in San Jose (Angelou's Mexican Grill on 2nd and Santa Clara--great carnitas) and moved up to San Francisco, and while I love the every-third-business-is-a-Mexican-restaurant deal when I walk down to the Mission (and especially El Farolito on 24th/Mission--carne asada and lengua is incredible, carnitas are less good but still awesome), my two roommates, both from San Diego, are still saying it's better down there. I'm not going to argue, since they're so close to Mexico, but what am I missing out on? I know their fish taco scene is amazing, but any Californians want to tell me what the difference is between the two styles?

Edit: I'm not so into the French fries in the burrito thing--usually judge a place based on its regular burritos without sour cream and guac so that the tortilla and meat quality reign supreme. I understand the French fries within may be a not-for-me kind of thing, where I can see why others love it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Is a San Diego trip worth it? Or are any of the things I posted not a part of the San Diego burrito experience?

I just want great Mexican food--if anyone has any good recommendations in SF or anywhere in California, please let me know and let me know what meat to get.

mission burritos suck

theyre basically the kfc famous bowl of mexican food

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ekster posted:

this might surprise you but we actually have cornmeal over here

Masa isn't cornmeal get it right europailures

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'd make a joke about how those are probably fronts for drug cartels or some poo poo but they probably aren't, sadly.

Hell, you can order burgers and fries from expensive restaurants here too.

yeah its always weird to me when i go out to a nice place for lunch and there's always that one guy who gets a hamburger. i mean i know the steakhouse hamburger is supposed to be special but im talking like a sort of prissy fancy place and then bam theres a $18 hamburger thats a lunch menu only thing. i know its the cheapest thign on the menu but come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

babypolis posted:

another cool thing about mexican food is that its incredibly varied. most of the stuff mentioned here is northern/central mexican cuisine but pretty much everywhere you go has its own local dishes and some places even have huge variations on everything. like for example yucatecan cuisine is its own completely differnt thing

Tell that to the Californian s convinced they're the one true mexicsn food but mostly like garbage like burritos filled with rice and french fries

• Locked thread