Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MastersOfUnlocking
Nov 12, 2014

Hello all! Claw from the Masters of unlocking here.

After lurking on the forum a bunch and wondering which Let's Play to post, I saw on the "Master List Request" good ol' "Last Half of Darkness" was listed and I realized that had to be it due to it's semi-historical reasons listed below;

• This is a game Master Greg and I played - but did not finish - as youths.
  • It's the very first Let's Play we posted when we started our channel.
  • We finally finished the drat thing, 20 years after it started.
  • It's the very first Let's Play we finished.
  • It's the First Game of a Derpy Classic DOS point and click series
  • We published our first Let's Play episode on April 1st / 2014 (Kinda counts as a first, right?)
  • This will be our first SA Let's Play post.
  • Twenty Years ago Greg and I played games together, and now we're doing doing entertaining Let's Plays riddled with humour and derpiness. That's a long time coming.

So! If that's interested you enough, without further delay, here are the episodes for your enjoymafication.

Part 1 - What happened to the first half?
In this episode, Master Greg and The Claw trod down memory lane and arrive at the last house on the left which is a spooky, evil, blue tinged one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JU6PTxxt8

Part 2 - Why such a wizard fetish?
Master Greg and The Claw continue to traipse around their dead Aunt's house, finding horror after horror - or just a strange wizard fetish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eY-Dp4JChs

Part 3 - How you kill with kindness.
After the grisly misstep in the last video, Master Greg and The Claw teeter on the brink of DOStruction but push forward into the mysteries of this mysterious manor, and learn that limericks are tough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgnNxtgAi-M

Part 4 - Doghat AKA How'd we miss this room?
Besides trying on new hats, Greg and Claw re-scour the house for something they've missed, because they've come up against a baffling puzzle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7cZh75HKo

Part 5 - Not the Finale you want, but the Finale we need.
In the finale of their quest to find the missing piece to match their first half of darkness, things get weird in a whole new way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2PEDifpmB0

About Last Half of Darkness
Claw discovered LHOD on a Shareware BBS CD collection, and because it featured pointing and clicking and was similar to Maniac Mansion, he was hooked.

The story pits you as the Nephew of an Aunt who recently died and left you an inheritance. As you reach her spooky house ( rendered in many lovely shades of blue ) you discover various paranomral things are amiss, and as you explore you start to learn about the reality of your Aunt's life. Not a lot though - they don't pile on the story details.

There are various types of puzzles, clever usage of items, password decyphering, "Find Item X to fit in Spot Y" logic puzzles and spooky threats to your life.

One of the stand-out memories of this game was just how scary a low-fi game like this could be.

Especially the ghost twins.

In Conclusion
So if you watch it and enjoy - thank you very much! And if you're the person who added it to the LP Request let us know!

We haven't yet "met" someone who knew about this game from years ago, and it'd be cool to hear from.

Thanks again,
- Claw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Amazing how you managed to lurk here and miss the rule against youtube dumps.

MastersOfUnlocking
Nov 12, 2014
Oh crap, really? Cause I read all sorts of pages spanning "Forum Rules" / "Let's Play Sandcastle" and I looked at a tonne of previous posts, made sure the post content was of value and not just URLs, and this is a game that's even featured on the LP Request forum.

It's not like this is just a barebones post of a few Amnesia eps. What is it that makes this just a "Youtube Dump" what am I missing?

Do you have the URL handy to the guidelines that would fill me in?

Thanks

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Well, there's the rule in the rules thread:

The rules posted:

• Don’t dump or re-post previously-completed LPs.
    Barring a high-quality LP, posting a finished LP is frowned upon.
There's no point in making a thread for an LP if the LP is already over.

EDIT: Also don't sign your posts, it looks dumb as hell. Your name is already next to everything you post.

MastersOfUnlocking
Nov 12, 2014
Ahhh, so the "Requested LPs" are requests for 100% new LPs. Okay that's clear now.

As for the name signing, since there are 2 of us in the vid, it seemed sensible to me to indicate which one of us was doing the actual posting, so it serves the purpose of clarification in case someone who watched the vids wanted to address something specifically to one of us, instead of being clueless as to "just who is writing the post"

Thanks for the heads up - there's a hell of a lot "specific behaviors" to learn and get used to.

Can't say we won't accidentally derp again, but I can promise we'll never argue against the rules.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

MastersOfUnlocking posted:

Oh crap, really? Cause I read all sorts of pages spanning "Forum Rules" / "Let's Play Sandcastle" and I looked at a tonne of previous posts, made sure the post content was of value and not just URLs, and this is a game that's even featured on the LP Request forum.

It's not like this is just a barebones post of a few Amnesia eps. What is it that makes this just a "Youtube Dump" what am I missing?

Do you have the URL handy to the guidelines that would fill me in?

Thanks
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3614061

There's the rule thread that was about four threads away in the stickied section from where you found the request thread, but no one cares about the rules. It's just no one will watch your videos because it's generic soul less garbage that gets dumped here every other week by a named group trying to get views.

MastersOfUnlocking
Nov 12, 2014
Hey, I take offense - We are Generic Soulless TRASH, not garbage. Huuuuuge difference.

But seriously, thanks again.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Hey, I take offense - We are Generic Soulless TRASH, not garbage. Huuuuuge difference.

But seriously, thanks again.

The fact that you are acknowledging that you goofed and manning up to that is a step up from most of the people who do it.

MastersOfUnlocking
Nov 12, 2014
Hey thanks - life's too short to pretend our poo poo doesn't stink, and I've learned a helluva lot in life from screwing up ( being struck indirectly by lightning is an example and a story for another time )

Running a community of folks is difficult at the best of times, much less keeping it to a higher degree of quality.

I've got nothing but respect and amusement at the rules, and they are there for a good drat reason.

The rules, and how they are written, is one of the biggest draws on wanting to join this community. On Reddit or various other "Free" forums, everything is just watered down or blegh or kind of amateur hour, whereas looking around here I find so much awesome, dedicated, hilarious, quality etc... stuff it's drat right refreshing.

We take our Let's Play Channel very seriously, so being part of a serious community is awesome.

But first; I just got to figure out how to read ;)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
No one is serious here, it's just a general apathy and malaise has set in. You don't need to bend or form to the rules here; people will like what they like, it might be you or it might be something else. But it's a crap shoot in the end if people care enough to watch your videos and in the end that doesn't matter if you're having fun. So don't pay me or cynical people much mind, just have fun with (as that seems to be what you're doing) and do what you feel like.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

As for the name signing, since there are 2 of us in the vid, it seemed sensible to me to indicate which one of us was doing the actual posting, so it serves the purpose of clarification in case someone who watched the vids wanted to address something specifically to one of us, instead of being clueless as to "just who is writing the post"
Post signing is just one of those things that just isn't done around here, and people will make fun of you if you sign your posts. Don't do it.

I'd also suggest closing this thread before the mods come around and put you on probation for breaking the rules. Generally you'll get off without punishment if you close your thread after noticing your mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MastersOfUnlocking
Nov 12, 2014
Gotcha! Thanks - will do ASAP!

• Locked thread