Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
(There was a thread for this in GBS, but I think there should be a proper one.)

Well, let's be honest: this thread is here cos I had a cool, kinda weird dream last night that I want to tell someone about. But then I was like, "Oh hey, maybe other people have dreams they feel like they need to tell people about, too (cos humans are kinda weird like that)." And I figure people who want to talk about their dreams might also want to read others'.

So here's the thread! I don't know what the rules should be, so I guess when things come up, I'll add some more. But here's a couple to start off:

RULES:
• Try to be as succinct as possible when describing your dream.
• Don't psychoanalyse. We're not trying to find deeper meanings here - this is all in the name of weirdness and fun.

Okay, I'll start off:

Last night I dreamt I was at a party with my ex who was played by Daniel Radcliffe but he also looked like my actual ex, even though they look nothing alike cos that's dream logic. While we were at the party, we both somehow got poisoned/infected with a fatal disease, which meant we both had to be quarantined but in the same apartment where the party was held. We were the only two stuck in there, and the apartment intercom near the front door was the only form of communication we had to the outside world. So I would try and talk to doctors about helping my ex out, who was vomitting white poo poo and all-round dying quicker than me, and in the meantime, we quickly bonded again and became at least good friends. Then suddenly while we were joking around, he collapsed and started convulsing and spitting out more chunky white fluid, and he was obviously about to kick it. So I'm about to run to the intercom, but all drama movie like, he asks me to stay with him in his last moments, and so I watch him as he dies, which involved him regressing through ages Benjamin Button-style but over the span of a minute or so before losing all consciousness. And that's when I woke up.

So what did you dream about last night? Or what's a memorable dream you've had?

bubblelubble has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I dreamt I was somehow assigned to give Obama a ride in my car because he wanted to see how the common folks lived or something. I was told to do everything normal like I do when I commute in the morning. So I started with some music from my iPhone and kicked the car into gear.
The ride was going real smooth, me chatting with the prez and stuff, and then Gil-Scott Heron came on the iPhone. "Man, I love this song!", he said. After that song, another funky bassline started and I froze. It was Blowfly's "First Black President of the US", a really gross song. I started fiddling with the iPhone to skip it, but Obama said "Don't, I want to hear this. What song is this?"
I didn't respond. As the song went on, his face started to darken. Finally we arrived at the spot where I was supposed to drop him off just as the song ended. He turned towards me and said:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
A couple of nights ago I dreamed I was following a little black shadow around my apartment as it told me about how it woke up here one day, without any recollection of who it was or how it got here. The little shadow called the apartment "the soft house" and itself "the soft boy". It told me it had been crawling around in the walls for a while, which is where it found "the soft girl". It said that, even though the soft girl was sleeping, the soft boy could tell that the it was a hunter, and that it would wake up soon.

Then one of the cats knocked something over in the bedroom and woke me up.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was destitute. He had originally gained all of his money thanks to a magical trident, but now he’d made the mistake of looking at the trident and all of its magic disappeared. The entire family fell into poverty. There were time-lapse shots of the mansion becoming increasingly dirt-covered and water-damaged. Finally they determined that the only option was to enter into a suicide pact. Will, his uncle, that spoiled chick, maybe Carlton, and this Russian guy I know buried themselves alive with their most valuable possessions in velvet coffins in a public park. They stayed there for several days until the bodies were discovered by Al Bundy’s policewoman girlfriend.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
A few weeks ago I had a dream in which my wife and I (and some other people) died in a car accident, but instead of waking up, the dream continued and we were ghosts. The details are a bit fuzzy on the rest, but the basic idea was interesting. Living people couldn't normally see us or communicate with us, but they could sort of hear us. The more closely they listened, the more clear we became to them until they could actually see and talk to us. If they stopped talking to us, we would slowly fade away from them. Scariest/saddest part of the dream was looking over at my wife (also a ghost) and seeing her face become blurry and realizing that if we didn't stay close together and we would fade away from each other.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
When I was young- I'm talking single digits- I had a dream that I was taken up into a UFO and, while there, was taught what a ghettoblaster is by Bob Seger.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
It ended with my grandfather saying "I'm sorry _______. But those bitches had to die."

My grandfather was a pastor. I broke out into laughter as I staggered to the bathroom to piss.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
The other night, as I was on the verge of waking up, I had to explain to one of the "people" in my dream (who kinda resembled the father from Calvin & Hobbes) that not only was he not my dad, but he wasn't even real, he was a part of my subconscious, and that as soon as I awoke he would be gone. He downheartedly accepted it, as we said goodbye.

edit:

Ratspeaker posted:

Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was destitute.
Good to know I'm not the only person who dreams about Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
When I was really young I had this dream...

Terry Wogan was hosting my favourite TV show, but he became trapped in a vacuum cleaner full of chocolate, and was drowning. I had to rescue him, but couldn't, because I was lost in my local high street.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I dream video games :spergin:

And they're always cooler than anything that actually exists :negative:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Malaleb posted:

Scariest/saddest part of the dream was looking over at my wife (also a ghost) and seeing her face become blurry and realizing that if we didn't stay close together and we would fade away from each other.
This concept is pretty cool for a dream, as if ripped from the pages of a lovely romantic-drama novel.

I once dreamt I was being chased/running away through a Parisian mall at night, so all the lights were on and all yellowy and bright. And though I was wearing skates for some reason, I was also wearing a white, flowy dress. I'd say think stereotypical perfume ad or something. Oh yeah, it was happening in slow-motion too. But yeah, I've had that dream a couple of times now.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Delroy Lindo AKA black version of The Dude was surfing down the street on a washing machine and he did flips and poo poo but had to stop to put more coins in every once in a while. He was also wearing a foam neck brace for whatever reason.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Last night I dreamed that I needed to make a silencer for a gun. I decided that an empty toilet roll tube would make a good base but I needed something to make it more silence-y. I immediately thought that wrapping it in a sheet of cork would be the best way.

I stepped out of my house and headed towards the farm at the top of my village but, for some reason, as I got closer I realised it had become some sort of fancy suburban boutique art gallery. Unperturbed I headed toward it and entered the pristine marble and glass interior whereupon I approached the receptionist desk.

Despite wanting cork, the lady convinced me to spend £15 on a painting of a house with a dog on a bench in front of it. Happy with my purchase I came home and proceeded to unroll the painting to peel off the layer of cork behind it.

I was suddenly dismayed to realise I didn't have anywhere to put the painting because the last space on my wall was taken up by a new mirror. I looked in it and was shocked to realise I was Scarlett Johannsen with the same haircut as Red from Orange is the New Black.

I woke up :psyduck:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Glad I found this thread, I was this close to making one myself.

I had a doozy of a one last night:

It started in a generic bar, and I notice someone I haven't seen in years come in and greet someone. I walk over to where she sits and try and say hi, but I wind up interacting with someone else that I really didn't like. After a few seconds of awkward chit-chat I high-tail it back to where I'm sitting at the bar. I notice outside it's pouring rain... minutes before the power goes out in the place. A voice (a manager?) tells us all to get out, and as I'm running out in the rain I notice that I'm not wearing any shoes or anything. I look around to look for them, and I find a pair of my moccasins, facing towards the bar. I remember thinking "wait, was I barefoot in there and didn't realize it?"

Nearly all of a sudden, the rain stops. I watch the dark rain-clouds literally crawl over and behind the strip mall buildings, and everything is sunny and shiny. For some reason I decide not to go back into the bar, and I grab my car keys and do the "Lock The Car Over and Over Again So The Horn Tells You Where Your Car Is" thing. This lasts a long time, walking around a strip mall from my youth (that didn't have a bar) a couple times, increasingly worried/frustrated about where my car is.

Eventually I find my car inside of a building that gave the vibe of my old college. It's surrounded by some of my old college friends who are bummed for me that my car got broken into. Except its not a car, it's a a bike without wheels and without a front bar. On the seat are a bunch of Sims expansion boxes, which I somehow know are ones I just bought. I immediately accept that my car/bike was ruined, but it's not until I open one of the Sims boxes do I realize that the thief had taken the DVDs out of the packaging. I remember thinking "gently caress I have to get online and use the codes before the thief does!"

At this point my tendency to lucid dream kicks in and I realize the disparity of why-is-this-a-bike-I-drove-here, and I wake up.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
When I was in grade school, seeing Jurassic Park set off years of dreams about fleeing Tyrannosaurs and Raptors. And I do mean years. Most of the time it was inside a supermarket after closing. Sometimes it was at my apartment complex out in the parking lot. They weren't really nightmares. I had fun with them, but they persisted for a really long time so they must have meant something to me. I never did figure out what.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Basically the plot of Interstellar, except when they got to the icy planet at the end they found a colony of humans who had been living there for millennia and had no knowledge of Earth or its history. One woman on the ship (not the one in the movie, but a new character) was tasked with explaining Earth to them and getting them to come aboard to be rescued, but she accidentally went into too much detail about slavery while reading her prepared statement, and their (black) leader got angry and refused to go with her. Later he built a group of black robot supermen, sabotaged everyone else on the planet, and took over the ship. He went back to Earth and had the robots overthrow society and breed to create a world where only black people ruled, as retribution for slavery. Parts of the movie that were originally hard to hear had been dubbed over by Barack Obama.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Ratspeaker posted:

Basically the plot of Interstellar, except when they got to the icy planet at the end they found a colony of humans who had been living there for millennia and had no knowledge of Earth or its history. One woman on the ship (not the one in the movie, but a new character) was tasked with explaining Earth to them and getting them to come aboard to be rescued, but she accidentally went into too much detail about slavery while reading her prepared statement, and their (black) leader got angry and refused to go with her. Later he built a group of black robot supermen, sabotaged everyone else on the planet, and took over the ship. He went back to Earth and had the robots overthrow society and breed to create a world where only black people ruled, as retribution for slavery. Parts of the movie that were originally hard to hear had been dubbed over by Barack Obama.

I'd pay to see that movie in the theater.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Some years ago, when I was a brat, I had this dream where my best friend, his friends, and myself were all messing around on the computer. At some point, I stood up and left the room to go to the bathroom. Now, the bathroom appeared to have become this weird combination of bathroom and exact duplication of the computer room I was just in. My brother was there with some older lady, also looking up poo poo on the computer. My brother was at this stage in his life where girls were "icky and had cooties" so it was kind of surprising. I went back to the other room and told the other guys this. Either because they wanted to spent time with a girl or they were curious to know more about this weird bathroom/computer hybrid place, they all left. And turned off the lights with me still in the room.

Kinda pissed about this, I decided to stay where I was rather than follow them. I went to turn the lights back on when a pair of boots walked into the room, the light of the hallway making them appear in shadows. They were sort of like the cartoon boots that Judge Doom killed in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I wasn't sure how to respond to the situation, so I dumbly said "cute boots" and picked them up. I lifted them up and looked them right in the eyes. The boots hissed to me "You are getting very.... very... sleepy..." I think they were trying to hypnotize me.

And then I woke up. Every time I closed my eyes, or even blinked for a moment, I saw a brief image of myself stabbing the boots with a knife, blood pouring out of them. My best guess is that either the boots hypnotized me to kill them or I was doing my best to resist their hypnotic commands.

Sure wish my friends hadn't left me to murder a pair of boots.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The other night I dreamt that the Ghostbusters had to fight Cenobites. They then discovered that the Cenobites were vulnerable to a food product that the Ghostbusters that they had been developing as a side business because ghosts were getting scarce. Pinhead ended up losing his memory and becoming a lounge singer.

Last night I dreamt that I was invited to spend the weekend with the Obamas (Barack was staying at home because he had left the Oval Office in the care of a guy who won a "president for a day" contest). It turned out the White House was haunted, Sasha did the creepy kid singing thing and got possessed by evil Princess Di; her whole family then tried to kill me in my sleep.

Thanks Obama.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I dreamed I was in a kitchen or some place like that, and my foot was very clearly on fire for no reason. There were a lot of other people there and I was shouting at them to help because my foot was on fire, but aside from a few sideways bored glances, nobody payed any attention. I didn't understand why nobody cared that my foot was burning so I started shouting about that too, and then I realized it didn't hurt at all and wasn't really doing anything so I stared at my flaming foot confusedly for a moment until I woke up.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
I often dream that I'm having sex with my ex-fiance. Then I wake up a weird combination of sad/horny/angry.

This is why I poison you with alcohol, brain. Because you pull poo poo like this.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My dream last night was set at a major awards show that was, for some reason, being held in our nonexistent neighbourhood amphitheatre, which was tiny obviously, so there were couches set up towards the front that just anyone could sit in, while the celebs were forced to sit in uncomfortable plastic seats in the back. And I don't remember much but the few things I do remember are 1) some of my primary school classmates were performing, 2) I met Amy Poehler who wouldn't hug me or shake my hand despite my enthusiasm because she mentions in her book that she doesn't like physical contact - though, having actually read her book, I can't remember if that fact is real or not - and 3) I was kidnapped during the show while I was having some fresh air outside, and then somehow I was falsely arrested and found guilty of a murder or something that happened near where I was being held right at the exact same time I was missing from the amphitheatre.

Bummed I don't even remember what was happening when I woke up.

Tewbrainer
Apr 1, 2010
When I was young I had chronic nightmares. My mom had me go to this really chill Child Psychiatrist that said I should draw the nightmares I was having but 'take out what you don't like'.

15 years later, I still have problems with nightmares, but as a kid it helped because even during the dream I would know that I was just dreaming and would draw it later.

It was less of a 'fix the problem' solution and more of a 'cope with the problem' solution, but hey, it worked. Most of the drawings just get thrown away or given away, but I've taken a picture of a few and posted them around.

For content, last night I dreamed that that I was in my attic to repair a leak, and when I got up there I found the attic filled with the carcasses of dead dogs and cats. My neighbor came up behind me and explained that he had to start using my attic because his was full and his wife was complaining. It was ok though, because he was just holding them until his brother came into town with his tools so that he could fix them.

I don't think I'll draw that one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was never one to have flying dreams, but about twenty years ago I had a vivid one that stayed with me ever since. I felt like I was standing on the edge of a platform on a ridge hundreds of feet above what looked like a giant bowl of vibrant green jungle growth ringed by mountains. I sort of leaned forward, fell, and just... flew. It didn't last long but it was exhilarating. It was almost like I was an airplane. In the years since I've had a handful of other flying dreams and it's always effortless and fun.

On the mundane side within the last couple of years I had a running dream where my steps were long and effortless, smooth as silk. I have a bum leg and had taken up running a few years earlier and I was self-conscious about my clunky gait. I wanted to run like normal people. After the dream I increased my efforts to fix my stride and have had a couple of moments in the real world where running felt almost like that dream and I was able to forget about how it might've looked to other people.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
poo poo started dribbling out of everywhere and everything. drat!

Glad i woke up in time.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Dreamt I woke up on a huge concrete platform halfway down a giant cliff face. The platform was empty save for a few windowless one-room outbuildings and the cliff was so tall that I could barely make out the top or the waves below. I walked around for what felt like hours without seeing so much as a seagull, then I woke up.

Another one was walking around a city consisting of an infinite grid of identical tower blocks, all hovering about 20 feet in the air with big piles of rubble underneath. Walked around for ages trying to find a building I could get into but never found one.

Existential nightmares, man.

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

Just woke up from a dream that was kinda like stephen kings 'the mist' I was being chased by something in a fog that looked like a cross between a rhino and a gorilla.

so it was a pretty :krad: dream

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I (was a kid and) discovered a lotion/glue? that made people invisible. I used it to humiliate my bullies, but the bullies were Draco Malfoy and those two guys, and it was a reenactment of Harry Potter doing something similar in the books (with the invisibility cloak). Then the adults found out about the magical invisibility lotion when my elementary school English teacher demonstrated it's effect. They then ripped apart the magic store where I got it from to get some for themselves, and my magical mentor told me that magic still remained in the world or something.

Yeah, the weird part was that the last part basically played out along the beats of a cheesy children's movie about a kid discovering something magical.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've had problems with strange dreams my entire life. I think it has something to do with the meds I take, but I'm not sure. I never dream about specific people or events though. Its always weird stuff that seems completely nonsensical.

One dream I remember in particular was the laughing worm. Picture a mushroom cap with a pair of arms coming out of the side. Now stack a bunch of those mushroom caps ontop of one another until there a dozens of them connected like train cars. The last mushroom doesn't have arms, but instead of a pair of gleaming white teeth. Its arms twist and turn and it lets out a very hoarse laugh, like its laughing and coughing at the same time. Then, another worm comes out of its mouth. All the arms on this worm move in the opposite direction of the one below it. This sounds mundane but it stands out as the thing I remember about its movement the most. It does the same laugh, and then vomits out another worm. The process repeats itself for awhile before the worm strangles a random person, and then the dream ended. Or at least that's where my recollection of my dream ends.

My dreams used to bother me a lot but at some point I decided they were just pure nonsense with no deeper meaning so I forgot about most of them. I don't know why the worm stands out in my memory though.

Tewbrainer posted:

When I was young I had chronic nightmares. My mom had me go to this really chill Child Psychiatrist that said I should draw the nightmares I was having but 'take out what you don't like'.

15 years later, I still have problems with nightmares, but as a kid it helped because even during the dream I would know that I was just dreaming and would draw it later.

It was less of a 'fix the problem' solution and more of a 'cope with the problem' solution, but hey, it worked. Most of the drawings just get thrown away or given away, but I've taken a picture of a few and posted them around.

These are really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Question for the rest of you guys; do you ever have lucid dreams? I've heard of these but never experienced one myself and I wonder what they are like.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Jan 16, 2015

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Internet Kraken posted:

Question for the rest of you guys; do you ever have lucid dreams? I've heard of these but never experienced one myself and I wonder what they are like.

I don't think this counts as lucid dreaming, but I know I've definitely been able to control what I say in dreams. E.g if someone I haven't seen in a while appears in the dream, I'll say something like "Oh hey haven't seen you for ages?!" as if I'm just having a regular conversation etc. etc. It doesn't happen for every dream though.

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret
I've had very vivid dreams my whole life. They're so wild and memorable that, quite frankly, I almost prefer my dream life to my real one. Every night it's a new adventure. I can't wait to get to sleep because I never know what my brain will come up with next. I have to be careful what I'm doing right before bed because it'll inevitably directly affect my dreams. When I still played World of Warcraft and played right up to bedtime, I would dream I was in a keep with four friends, looking for our dragon prey we could hear growling in the distance. I could hear the echo of our footsteps, the drip-drip of water in some far-off cell of a room, our hushed voices, and I could smell the dampness and death. Every room, every stone, every last detail was so real that I would wake up expecting my weapon to be in my hand.

Anyway, content!

At the age of 5 or so I had a dream about aliens. I don't know where I got the idea of aliens. My parents didn't let me watch movies like that and I couldn't read yet so that's a mystery. Anyway, it was late afternoon on a warm, sunny summer afternoon. I went outside and saw all of my neighbors walking toward my yard, each one acting as if in a trance. I said hi to some of them but they didn't respond. Everything around me was vividly colored: the grass and leaves on the trees were the color of emeralds; the sky was blue as sapphire; clouds were blindingly white; tree trunks were burnt sienna; all of the houses on my block mirrored the brightest colors in a box of crayons, and the sidewalk and driveway glittered like they were made of crushed diamonds. The world was almost perfectly silent, broken only by the hum of some unseen motor. I decided to follow my neighbors to see why they were headed to my backyard. As I rounded the corner of my house, the source of the hum I'd heard came into view. It looked like what I now know is the stereotypical alien saucer: huge, round body, smaller bump on the top, and an opening on the side with stairs leading up to it. Everyone was getting into an orderly line, waiting for their turn to head up the stairs. Most went through the door without showing any reaction. Some would start to cry and try to run, only to be herded back through the door with what appeared to be a cattle prod held in a long boney-fingered hand at the end of a thin grey arm. I silently took my place, barely sparing a thought for the rest of my family. When my turn came to go through the door, I must have hesitated just for a second because I got hit with the prod on my back. I yelled out and jumped forward toward the interior of the craft...and then I woke up. To this day, almost half a century later, I still remember every detail, every feeling. And I still wonder what the heck those aliens look like and what was in that craft. It's one of the few dreams I've only had once. Most I have multiple times.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Existential nightmares, man.

:smith::hf::smith:

The other day I dreamed I was helping with some sort of mission/adventure plot, but it turned out that I wasn't the "real" me, and the point of the mission was to sacrifice me to get the real me back from some alternate dimension. I sabotaged it somehow, enough to at least delay the mission, but then someone pointed out that I was pregnant. I got really sad and quiet because I was going to die and so was my unborn baby, and then I woke up.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

One of the weirder ones was that Romney was a vampire and Lady Gaga was a vampire hunter.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
I once had a sick-rear end nightmare that occurred a couple of days after reading Kill Six Billion Demons. Basically I've lucid dreamed a few times in my life and when I realized that a serial killer or some other poo poo was trying to invade my dream I was pissed off and turned into a Astral-King/Lord of my dreams and rendered the creature into non-existence. And to the guy who asked about lucid dreaming, I've experienced it as a sort of coaxing or bending a dream to my will through thought after realizing that I am currently in a dream.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This thread got me thinking more about how I dream. Like I said I usually dream about a lot of weird and nonsensical stuff, some of which sounds quite grotesque when I write it out. Yet these dreams never bother me because they don't feel real at all. People are rarely in them, and when people do show up they're never a figure I can recognize. Just a vague representation of a human. Its hard to be bothered by stuff that feels so completely unreal.

What gets to me are not the dreams I have when I'm asleep, but the dreams I have when I'm half-awake. Sometimes I wake up but my mind still feels half asleep. I'm aware that I'm no longer asleep but my mind keeps slipping back into dreams. Its not like lucid dreaming though because I have no control over any of this. During these "dreams", I actually think about people I recognize. I don't see abstract figures but rather my friends and family. And yet despite being aware its a dream, it still feels horrible when bad stuff happens to them because it doesn't feel like one. Usually if something really bad happens it will jolt me fully awake though.

I can't really describe it that well but maybe you get what I'm talking about.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
One time I half-woke up in the middle of the night, urgently nudged my boyfriend awake and tried to tell him something. In my mind it was something silly like the dream I'd just had (I can't remember for sure), but for some reason all that would come out of my mouth was "You have to go to the tree that's an M."

He looked at me strangely and I knew that I'd said it wrong, so I tried to correct myself, but it still came out as "You have to go to the M-tree. It's at your work.... I mean... the tree..."

He asked if I was okay. I got frustrated and kept trying to fix my words. "No, I mean the M, it's in the courtyard at your work. You know." This all still sounded like the right information in my mind; I just couldn't get the words I wanted. "Wait, the tree, you've.. gently caress... I don't know what-- Never mind." At this point I woke up enough to realize it wasn't going to work and just tried to reassure him I was fine, then rolled over and went back to sleep still wondering why my mouth didn't work. In the morning I had to ask him if I actually woke up and rambled at him, or if I just dreamed it.

Apparently I talk in my sleep all the time and it freaks him out, but that's the only instance I can personally remember. I dunno if it counts as a dream, but it kind of felt like one at the time. v :shobon: v

Also, I have a question! Does anyone else sometimes have dreams where you're not actually in them, but... I guess it's sort of like watching a movie? I'm having more and more of those lately, it's pretty interesting actually. Sometimes I wind up taking the place of one of the characters, sometimes I just root for the 'protagonist' and then get disappointed when I wake up before finding out how it ends.

I could talk about dreams forever :allears:

fleshy echidna posted:

I once had a sick-rear end nightmare that occurred a couple of days after reading Kill Six Billion Demons. Basically I've lucid dreamed a few times in my life and when I realized that a serial killer or some other poo poo was trying to invade my dream I was pissed off and turned into a Astral-King/Lord of my dreams and rendered the creature into non-existence. And to the guy who asked about lucid dreaming, I've experienced it as a sort of coaxing or bending a dream to my will through thought after realizing that I am currently in a dream.

I've never used lucid dreaming to fight back before (dream serial killers are the worst), but I have willed myself awake from a nightmare... which then picked up right where it left off when I fell back asleep, forcing me to do it again. That was weird. The few times I tried to actually change anything, dream-me just flew off into the sky and I woke up. I've heard it takes practice to stop doing that.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
I kissed Hulk Hogan on the lips.

This is all I remember from the dream.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, I have a question! Does anyone else sometimes have dreams where you're not actually in them, but... I guess it's sort of like watching a movie? I'm having more and more of those lately, it's pretty interesting actually. Sometimes I wind up taking the place of one of the characters, sometimes I just root for the 'protagonist' and then get disappointed when I wake up before finding out how it ends.

For some reason there was a period of about a year, ending about a year ago, where all my dreams were like that, it was pretty strange.

Lately all my dreams have been the old "finding out halfway through the semester that you are registered for a class you didn't know about" classic that make me freak out for a while after waking up.

Probably the one I remember most vividly is one I had when I was in high school, maybe 14 or 15. Me and a buddy (who wasn't anybody I actually knew but in the dream we were best friends) were dressed and equipped like World War 1 soldiers, though not in any particular country's uniform, and were standing around smoking and chatting in a snowy cemetery, when suddenly a machine gun fires off in the distance, killing my friend immediately. So I'm freaking out, my friend's dead, bullets are whipping past my head, kicking up dirt and shattering tombstones, I'm trying to fire back with my rifle but the MG nest is so far away that I can barely even see it, much less shoot the gunner. So, after what felt like an hour of madly scrambling towards cover and hoping not to get shot, I end up making my way to the nest. Having apparently lost my rifle earlier, I grip my trench shovel (is that even a thing WWI soldiers had? Idk), hurl myself into the nest and collide with the gunner, sending us both sprawling to the ground, but I get up first. I've got the shovel over my head raised over my head when I realize the gunner is a young woman about my age, which causes a brief flash of guilt before adrenalin and rage about my dead friend take back over and I bring the shovel down, killing her instantly. I then immediately collapse next to her corpse, worn out by all the adrenalin, anger and grief of my comrade's death and the run towards the gun, and the sorrow I felt for killing her. I just kind of lay there a while, feeling all this, until I wake up.

It may not sound like much written down, but while actually dreaming it, every emotion I felt, from seeing my friend die to being terrified of getting killed myself to the sorrow for killing the gunner all just felt completely real. I've never had a dream like that before, usually any emotions I feel in a dream are muted and don't last upon waking but this one shook me for the rest of the day.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i dreamed that the united states military was doing some hosed up poo poo and thankfully woke up and calmed down and realized that they wouldn't do anything bad

• Locked thread