Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also, you will probably want to shoot yourself in the head if you ever have to deal with any [...] vendor. they all suck horribly and have the worst possible customer service and technical support. they can't even spin up their own poo poo correctly. this applies to both "on-premise" and :yayclod: ""solutions""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Shaggar posted:

you can make the phones do a lot of crazy bullshit

expand your business reach and conect with customers faster than ever with Windows Embedded Landline, the premier operating system for call centers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah. i remember one time i ginned up a fake hold time in Avaya to create the impression that a caller was actually in a queue before dumping them off to voicemail. of course, that little side business never went anywhere, which goes back to my remark about "total lack of business plan"

also, you will probably want to shoot yourself in the head if you ever have to deal with any "contact center" vendor. they all suck horribly and have the worst possible customer service and technical support. they can't even spin up their own poo poo correctly. this applies to both "on-premise" and :yayclod: ""solutions""

once of our clients was all pissy about hold times when waiting for non-Spanish translators. Like call comes in, one of our agents picks it up, figures out the language, and calls our translator service to find someone who speaks it. sometimes that takes a minute for rarer languages. its just how it goes.

so to satisfy this moron client I worked with our translator service to create this incredible hacky bullshit system where the call came in, aksed for the persons language, mapped that to a language code and made a parallel call out to the translator service with our billing id + language code as the caller id which they would then pick up and put into queue. meanwhile the original call proceeds to an agent and once an agent is available it delivers the call on hold to the agent. then once the translator service delivers the call to one of their agents they play a digit back to my phone switch which detects it and the conferences the original call with the second call which is now connected to a translator with the right language.

thus eliminating the appearance of a delay caused by our agent calling the translator service manually.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

jesus christ shaggar lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the people calling in were doctors who are the whiniest people possible. it worked amazingly well. i literally did not believe it.

eventually i think i replaced 90% of the work that required actually talking to one of our agents with an ivr survey so the docs could just hit a few buttons to relay the info they had and be done w/ it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

once of our clients was all pissy about hold times when waiting for non-Spanish translators. Like call comes in, one of our agents picks it up, figures out the language, and calls our translator service to find someone who speaks it. sometimes that takes a minute for rarer languages. its just how it goes.

so to satisfy this moron client I worked with our translator service to create this incredible hacky bullshit system where the call came in, aksed for the persons language, mapped that to a language code and made a parallel call out to the translator service with our billing id + language code as the caller id which they would then pick up and put into queue. meanwhile the original call proceeds to an agent and once an agent is available it delivers the call on hold to the agent. then once the translator service delivers the call to one of their agents they play a digit back to my phone switch which detects it and the conferences the original call with the second call which is now connected to a translator with the right language.

thus eliminating the appearance of a delay caused by our agent calling the translator service manually.

*furiously scribbling notes*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i read a book about the phone system and blue boxes

it was neat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i could probably do litterally anything with interactive intelligence IC server + accessories

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
one of the hidden perks of switching back to the POTS telephone service from the cable provider is i can use my rotary phones again gently caress yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

maniacdevnull posted:

or call waiting where you could tap the hook to switch calls

flash hookin mother fuckersss

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Captain Foo posted:

flash hookin mother fuckersss

granny callin', not flash hookin like you should

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

granny callin', not flash hookin like you should

i was hoping someone was gonna make this joke :cool:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

i was hoping someone was gonna make this joke :cool:

:c00lbutt:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pbx systems are lovecraftian nightmares

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when I was in college I took a temp job for a doctor that wanted to create an automated phone menu system for his business. he got some demo software that did this, and it was programmable in Visual Basic (lol). but since it was a demo, it was limited to not being able have a session so the different menu entries couldn't pass information. so this idiot doctor was too cheap to buy the full version, and someone told him that they could fake sessions by having each menu entry read and write files. I spent a week on it before telling him that it was a terrible idea and he needs to buy the real software. so he fired me.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh nice. pots thread

:munch:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

While I never had to deal with the POTS system at our office, they were running on dual 486 PCs and when one finally died about 3 years ago they said "uh we can't find parts or service for this thing." and then switched us all to lync.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pagancow posted:

While I never had to deal with the POTS system at our office, they were running on dual 486 PCs and when one finally died about 3 years ago they said "uh we can't find parts or service for this thing." and then switched us all to lync.

lol if u don't know the diff b/w POTS and P(A)BX

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I remember back in the year 2000 compuserve days where internet forms made you fill out a landline number; you couldn't progress until you had entered one in.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

lol if u don't know the diff b/w POTS and P(A)BX

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Ocrassus posted:

I remember back in the year 2000 compuserve days where internet forms made you fill out a landline number; you couldn't progress until you had entered one in.

when you were 6 years old

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i like working w/ our pbx but thats probably because someone else janitors it (:yaycloud:)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Egan Yardley posted:

i like working w/ our pbx but thats probably because someone else janitors it (:yaycloud:)

i used to be the pbx and cable plant janitor, then i got a newjob

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

when you were 6 years old

it can't have been later than 2003 so it was definitely in that period. I wanted to win this Lego competition prize that involved making stop motion video, the only problem being that I didn't know my own postcode and my parents refused to tell me. I was p crestfallen

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Ocrassus posted:

I didn't know my own postcode and my parents refused to tell me.

:eyepop:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ocrassus posted:

it can't have been later than 2003 so it was definitely in that period. I wanted to win this Lego competition prize that involved making stop motion video, the only problem being that I didn't know my own postcode and my parents refused to tell me. I was p crestfallen

are you the youngest yosposter?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

yeeeeeeessss look at this poo poo, it had everything my 6-9 year old sugary cereal addled mind needed.

also lol at computers back then

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
houldnt you be on reddit or tumblr or something

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

houldnt you be on reddit or tumblr or something

mlyp

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

nah i bet theres some 12 year old proto fishmech in the pos somewhere

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

nah i bet theres some 12 year old proto fishmech in the pos somewhere

uh idk, i dont think that's possible. what comes before a fetus?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I am definitely not the only uni/college kid here and we are basically all the same whether age 19 or 25.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i am not the youngest person on yosposhands always dry

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

uh idk, i dont think that's possible. what comes before a fetus?

AATrek

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jesus christ

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004